PDA

View Full Version : A non-poll poll! Can and will u answer it honestly?

docrobbysherry
07-24-2012, 11:25 PM
GULP!!!

Well, not 1/2 as bad as I thot it would taste!

Barbara Ella
07-24-2012, 11:37 PM
I do #2, but add mine anyway whether mentioned or not. I do try to use different words at least.

Barbara

Eryn
07-24-2012, 11:43 PM
I'm a compulsive reader, so I tend to read threads early on, comment if appropriate, and check back later to see how the thread is developing.

Silmaril
07-24-2012, 11:45 PM
I'm too new here to have a lot of experience to report on, but I would go with Option 2 as well. I don't see the point in posting what someone else already said, possibly better than I could. But like Barbara, if I had a somewhat different spin on the answer, I would post anyway, probably mentioning the other person's reply too.

Kritsin
07-24-2012, 11:48 PM
I would probably be a 4 in most cases.

AllieSF
07-24-2012, 11:50 PM
Great question that applies to me. I try to read through all the posts to see what is said, to see if anyone may have already posted my probable comment, and to see if the thread has gone ballistic and has entered the controversial stage, which does make for interesting reading. If I am still interested in commenting after all that, in goes my 2 cents worth. Now, If I am tired, maybe posted out, I may decide to just pass, or maybe revisit it later to see if I can get my enthusiasm up to comment. I generally do not just read a few posts out of many and then add my comments.

morgan51
07-24-2012, 11:50 PM
depends on the topic and my time available some threads are really fun to check back on. some not so much!

flatlander_48
07-24-2012, 11:52 PM
1. Read thru all the posts to see everyone's viewpoint? Usually, but only on threads that are of interest to me.

2. Read the posts to see if someone already posted your 2 cents? Rarely

3. Maybe read a few and then just add yours anyway, whether or not it's been mentioned? Rarely

4. Don't bother commenting and scroll to a thread with less posts on it? Rarely

5. Just lurk in any case? Rarely

Wildaboutheels
07-25-2012, 02:22 AM
1 but ONLY on threads that interest me OR an area where I could offer a "valid" opinion or advice.

It's obvious to me that most folks don't read entire threads because most people will post responses to the ORIGINAL OP when OP has clarified/come back into the thread sometimes numerous times with updates.

jaye_cd
07-25-2012, 02:38 AM
1. If it interests me, yes, I will read all the posts on a thread.
2. Yes. If more then a few people have already voiced the same opinion, I probably will not reply.. unless..
3. I will reply anyhow if it's something I really want to put my voice to or participate in the conversation.

Princess Chantal
07-25-2012, 02:52 AM
I read most of the replies with ignoring the posts from some people that tend to repeat their content over and over again. They could probably save typing time by just copy and pasting their replies.
As for giving my 2 cents, it all depends on the number of posts within the thread which are one or two line blurbs. What is the sense of wasting time and effort on a post when it will be lost in that type of a swamp?

toniloraine
07-25-2012, 03:36 AM
I usually pick 5 I don't comment very much

Kaz
07-25-2012, 03:46 AM
I like to think I do 1! I do tend to only open posts that look interesting. If it then turns out to not be I won't post. If it is interesting I try to read everything to get the gist of what is going on. I will then respond to whatever feels appropriate as the thread has developed, and will always TRY to add a response to the OP. I have no problem repeating things that others have said. It demonstrates a view that is shared bu others and that I find helpful.

Well that is what I TRY to do! Do I do this 100% of the time? Probably not... :(

Jolene Robertson
07-25-2012, 03:52 AM
I usually read the OP first, to see if it is something I feel I can or want to contribute to. If I feel I can contribute then "2" otherwise "4".

Jolene

Raychel
07-25-2012, 05:20 AM
Usually just #3 for me. Scan threw and read a few then give my :2c:

Renee W
07-25-2012, 06:03 AM
I'm not sure if anybody selected this option yet, but I'll go with number 2:devil:

jillleanne
07-25-2012, 06:15 AM
1. Usually, yes, if I intend to comment. If not, sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.
2. Usually, yes. My 2 cents worth will reinforce theirs.
3. Not usually.
4. On occasion
5. I don't ever lurk.

PS: Add salt for flavor.

BRANDYJ
07-25-2012, 06:38 AM
I do number 6. You left this choice off the poll Doc. lol Depending of the topic, I will read the original post and respond based on the topic, question or opinion asked for. I like to then go back and read other's posts to see if anyone might agree with my opinion. On the serious posts, I don't want my opinion swayed by what others say. Of course this backfires sometimes and causes me to rethink my opinion. Other threads I will read some of all the posts first before posting if I post at all. So that would be number 1.

Billiebluenose1878 GG
07-25-2012, 06:55 AM
I will do 1 , as I cant make a comment without being fully informed on said post ... Xxxx

Teri Ray
07-25-2012, 06:55 AM
I am 3. Maybe read a few and then just add yours anyway, whether or not it's been mentioned?

But I didnt read all the responses to this thread to see if mine had been mentioned. But I added mine anyway.

Karren H
07-25-2012, 07:05 AM
Who takes the weekend off? If the subject is interesting I reply.... without reading all the replies... its hard to read a lot on my Droid.... if the original post is long and rambling... I skip it and move on... my limited engineer brain is full of formulas and numbers so it hard to absorb a lot all at one time! lol.

Marleena
07-25-2012, 07:14 AM
I do 3 and sometimes 4. I'm a Chatty Kathy so I usually have to say something.:D

The very first post (thread starter) is the one I base my reply on.

TxKimberly
07-25-2012, 07:15 AM
I'm a three all day long. Sure hope this thread hits two pages so I can see Sherry eat it!

RenneB
07-25-2012, 07:15 AM
Great thread about posters.... It'll be interesting to see how many views this one gets vs. how many posted replies as there seem to be a lot of just viewers out there...
1. Read thru all the posts to see everyone's viewpoint? Depends on the post.. Picture posts, I'll comment if I think I can add something.. Other posts, only if the subject relates to my journey...
2. Read the posts to see if someone already posted your 2 cents? Yes, and I may still add a few pennies to ditto another member...
3. Maybe read a few and then just add yours anyway, whether or not it's been mentioned? Yea... sometimes...
4. Don't bother commenting and scroll to a thread with less posts on it? That sometimes happens depending on where my brain is...

Like Karren said, my engineer brain is so cramed full of physics, equations and stuff that if I put any more things in there I might forget first grade or something....

Renne.....

5. Just lurk in any case?

Cynthia Anne
07-25-2012, 07:25 AM
I love to read so I try to read all the post and then comment! Sometime I just can't think of anything worth saying!

Marlana
07-25-2012, 07:55 AM
#1 and #2 as done here.

Jennifer W
07-25-2012, 08:02 AM
I find it all depends on the thread. Sometimes I read everything and don't comment as I have nothing to add. Sometimes I read the shorter replies and add or not. I'm not very experienced here, so I say or do what I feel may help.

kimdl93
07-25-2012, 08:04 AM
Usually it would be #3. sometimes I just am too busy (or too lazy) to read 75 posts on a subject. And there have been many times when my comments were utterly redundant. But then, I'm not a particularly original thinker.

Annie D
07-25-2012, 08:08 AM
Okay, I read thru the first page of replies and then got bored and started my own reply. You know my answer depends on the subject area and if I have several different ideas in my head I continue to read more and more replies to see if I can get by with only one thought. I love to read the different ideas and thoughts of most of the people on this site but I usually look at the avatar to see who is replying; I almost always read what GG's have to say on the subject and read most of the long-time members comments. Some I just blow off as always being too flip, sarcastic, or just want to say something funny to run their number of replies up. I'm sure that many decide to pass on my replies as well....

One rant to add: please take the time to type your reply and just not put " I'm a #3 or I'm and #4 "because I then need to scroll back up to the top to see what #3 & #4 actually is. So much reading and so little time. Now what would that number be again?

Laura912
07-25-2012, 08:26 AM
Well, now at two pages. You want fries with them? :heehee: Usually I read all the posts and then chose whether to reply. Sometimes the reply may appear a little shallow as an attempt at humor. At nearly all times, the replies are short because I am not a good writer...spent too much time writing scientific articles.

Cheryl T
07-25-2012, 08:26 AM
If it's a topic of interest to me it's a 1...
If it's a little interesting it's a 2.
If it's a thread that's a dissertation (like a few who never post short threads) then I don't bother at all....I just am not that interested in constantly reading lengthy posts from the same people.

Ann Thomas
07-25-2012, 08:41 AM
Hi Sherry!

1. Read thru all the posts to see everyone's viewpoint?
Sometimes, but probably rarely.

2. Read the posts to see if someone already posted your 2 cents?
Generally I skim looking for it, yes, if it's a short answer easy to spot.

3. Maybe read a few and then just add yours anyway, whether or not it's been mentioned?
More often than not, yes.

4. Don't bother commenting and scroll to a thread with less posts on it?
Probably most of the time.

Oh of course, if it's a question that's been asked and answered over and over. I realize people don't look for prior threads on topics and I think part of it's due to us wanting to feel special and getting the attention. Other times it could be laziness, or blinded by the emotions at the moment.

(PS. Don't worry! If THIS thread reaches 2 pages of replies, I'll eat it!)

Ok, darling, I'll print this out and bring it by your place and we can chop it up into little pieces, sprinkle chocolate syrup on top, add some cream to it, and add a final dousing of Kahlua. I'll be happy to take the pictures, and we'll post them on here and Facebook!

Cheers!

Ann

NicoleScott
07-25-2012, 09:13 AM
#1 and #2. I never post a comment without reading (and often re-reading) all the posts (except Frederique's. Who's got time for that? haha)

Tracii G
07-25-2012, 09:29 AM
1 and 2 and I want to see Sherry eat a thread.Just doing my part thank you.

docrobbysherry
07-25-2012, 01:55 PM
I'm not sure if anybody selected this option yet, but I'll go with number 2:devil:
Good one, Renee!

#1 and #2. I never post a comment without reading (and often re-reading) all the posts (except Frederique's. Who's got time for that? haha)
I LOVE Freddie and her posts to death. But, no matter how hard I try, I just CAN'T swallow her long threads in one bite! Speaking of eating--------------------

Hi Sherry!----------------------------------------------------------

(PS. Don't worry! If THIS thread reaches 2 pages of replies, I'll eat it!)

Ok, darling, I'll print this out and bring it by your place and we can chop it up into little pieces, sprinkle chocolate syrup on top, add some cream to it, and add a final dousing of Kahlua. I'll be happy to take the pictures, and we'll post them on here and Facebook!

Cheers!

Ann
At the risk of adding yet another post to the total here, I want to mention that I'll eat a lite lunch today just in case!

Lorileah
07-25-2012, 01:57 PM
red Victoria's secret thong and 6" heels. I'm sorry what was the question? I was sleeping

Foxglove
07-25-2012, 02:21 PM
I'll do all five--though probably not on the same thread. Flexibility, Sherry! That's how we humans got to the top of the food chain. Isn't it???

Annabelle

Lorenqt
07-25-2012, 04:14 PM
Usually, I do the second option.

josee
07-25-2012, 04:27 PM
Depending on my interest level I may do any of 1,2,4&5 but almost never 3. If someone has already posted an opinion that matches mine I will usually move on.

jillleanne
07-25-2012, 04:34 PM
I suppose you could try using a knife and fork to reduce the size of each piece you will be eating. Tomato sauce helps immensely; think Alphagetti!

bridgette63
07-25-2012, 07:31 PM
I have to be honest... I mostly just lurk anyway.

TxKimberly
07-25-2012, 07:43 PM
. . . (PS. Don't worry! If THIS thread reaches 2 pages of replies, I'll eat it!:doh:)

I hope you're hungry Sherry!

Maria 60
07-25-2012, 07:50 PM
I do #3 and after i write something i will then read through almost like i don't want to forget the idea i want to write. Then i usually see someone wrote the same thing.

busker
07-25-2012, 07:53 PM
Most of the time I try to read ALL the posts before making a reply, sometimes, something a reply that I read just makes me want to reply to that and the OP and so I do. Lately, I just read, don't reply because my opinion is just that. If it is an op that requires a factual bit of info--what is the best place to buy girdles--and I know a place--I'll reply. Mostly, I'm lurking now, but your topic piqued my interest, so I logged on. Now, it is like a lot of hobby or tech mags--after a while repetition sets in because a new crop of fledglings has come along and want to know how to buy panties on the internet. So, I lurk until something gets me to sign on.
singing off now. thanks for the question.

almisami
07-26-2012, 07:48 AM
1. Read through all the posts to see everyone's viewpoint?
Only the first and last page.

Again, only the first and last pages.

3. Maybe read a few and then just add yours anyway, whether or not it's been mentioned?
If the topic interests me, I will post. Even if it's only a sentence.

This sometimes happens, although I usually hate threads whose subject ends up getting 10-20 pages of replies anyways.

I lurk a lot. I go on posting binges about 2-3 times a week, though.

EllieOPKS
07-26-2012, 09:17 AM
Funny you should mention eating the post once it gets over 2 pages. Low cal, high in fiber LOL! Actually I rarely respond to a post if it goes over 2 pages because generally my opinion is embedded somewhere in the responses.

Another item should be added to the list:
If someone starts a thread by posting an essay, do you read it or go on to something else?

Again for me, if you can't articulate your thoughts in a couple of paragraphs, say 20 lines or so, I don't waste my time reading it. It goes back to my sales training. If you can't give your pitch in an elevator ride then you need to refine it.

Jocelyn Quivers
07-26-2012, 09:27 AM

Not all of the time but usually I do.

Same as above

Same as above

Yes, the majority of the time, unless it deals with a real hot topic that will most likely get the thread closed down, then I will keep coming back to read updated post, it's kind of like my soap opera for the day.

Yes, usually because my brain is only functioning at about 25%, in which case it's probably best I not post the first thoughts coming to mind.:o

LilSissyStevie
07-26-2012, 10:45 AM
I just read through two pages. Now, what was the question?

Getting old is not for sissies. I should know.

emilywatson
07-26-2012, 11:24 AM
Yes, on threads that sound interesting.

Yes, and if they have I typically don't post a reply.

Nope.

Nope.

I'm still a newbie on the site so I'm lurking way more than posting for now :)

busker
07-26-2012, 05:05 PM
Sherry, I have onionskin paper and soy based ink and so the 2+ pages might make a good after-dinner dessert. Bon appetite. Signing off now.

dholme
07-26-2012, 05:07 PM
It really depends on my mood at the moment. I could do any of those things.

Frédérique
07-26-2012, 05:20 PM
U see a new thread after returning from a weekend away from cd.com. It looks interesting and u wish to add a comment. However, there r 2 pages of posts already up!

I just did this, as a matter of fact… :)

No. I might run into what’s-her-name and her opinionated verbiage, and get angry (masculine)…

Once in a while, but, since very few harbor the same opinions as I, I just “wing it.”

Now and then, or I attempt to riff off of another like-minded post without derailing the thread entirely…

No, I like the lengthy discussions, unless I feel sorry for the thread with few responses…

I only lurk when my enthusiasm is at a low ebb, and I’m disinterested in writing (like the past few days)… :sad:

Billie_M
07-26-2012, 09:52 PM
I think I am a number 2, but after reading thee pages worth, I forgot the question.

Mostly 2 sometimes 1

Rachel Morley
07-26-2012, 10:11 PM
Hi Sherry, I'm so glad that I'm helping you to not to go hungry :devil:

1. Read thru all the posts to see everyone's viewpoint? Definitely if the subject matter is something that interests me.

2. Read the posts to see if someone already posted your 2 cents? Sometimes

3. Maybe read a few and then just add yours anyway, whether or not it's been mentioned? I do if the subject matter is something I think I know something about.

4. Don't bother commenting and scroll to a thread with less posts on it? I do this quite often if certain well known and highly credible posters have already posted, as there is no point in posting my own view if they have already posted. (yes, I am not worthy)

5. Just lurk in any case? Sometimes but not really.

bobbimo
07-27-2012, 06:37 AM
I'm a three!
I figure the more people that express the same opinion I have the better the chance of it being accepted as the right response.
Especially if the poster is looking for help.

audreyinalbany
07-27-2012, 07:26 AM
pretty consistently three. Rarely read every single reply

NicoleScott
07-27-2012, 07:33 AM
Doc, a non-poll poll? It's a good thing you didn't ask for responses only from people of Polish descent. I'm confused enough already.

docrobbysherry
07-27-2012, 10:45 AM
Sorry! I let this get away from me! But, I'll make up for it now!

Where's the lo-cal dressing?

Foxglove
07-27-2012, 11:18 AM
Where's the dressing?

I think everybody here is dressing.

TxKimberly
07-28-2012, 10:45 AM
I'm warming up the printer for you Sherry! Grab the dressing!