PDA

View Full Version : New hobby

mistunderstood
08-03-2012, 08:59 PM
Hey all. I have a new hobby. Chainmail making. My first project is a flower. I bought the big and small kit and I think I am in love. If I get were I feel brave I think I am going to teach my-self the different weaves and make chainmail for order. I see all kinds of places have chainmail for little guy's but not for the bigger guy's.

JessicaVal
08-03-2012, 09:27 PM
That is awesome! I used to do chainmail keychains and such, but never anything so beautiful as that!

May I ask how you close the rings?

MarcyRex
08-03-2012, 09:46 PM
Fun stuff. I took a chainmail class at Gen Con. The instructors were a hoot telling stories of creativity and, um, clothing malfunctions.

Babeba
08-03-2012, 09:59 PM
That looks awesome! :)

mistunderstood
08-03-2012, 10:15 PM
I used the pliers to pinch them closed. The rings were cut and I pulled them apart just a little to slip them together.

JessicaVal
08-03-2012, 10:19 PM
That's pretty much how I did it too. Of you do sell here, let us know! I would live to browse. :-)

Persephone
08-03-2012, 11:00 PM
Very cool! Lovely flower!

I've known a couple of chainmail makers. I took up knitting with steel wool instead.

Hugs,
Persephone.

mistunderstood
08-04-2012, 12:19 AM
I do not sell right now. I am still getting the hang of it. I do hope to make chainmail at a later date.

noeleena
08-04-2012, 02:14 AM
Hi,

Thats lovely Youd fit right in with our Renaissance group over here. Be nice to see all your handy work when your in full swing.

looking good.

...noeleena...

max
08-04-2012, 08:08 PM
Have you tried blacksmithing? If you enjoy making armor you probably would enjoy that too.

Stephanie-L
08-04-2012, 09:18 PM
I love your flower, never tried anything like it. I used to do maile (chainmail is technically incorrect) and made myself a shirt, belt, and coif. I no longer do the medieval recreation stuff so I pretty much quit maile making. I also did some pretties for some belly dancer friends, but didn't get into the jewelery like that. It is easy to pick up the basic patterns, and kind of relaxing to sit there and link the rings. I never got into the welded or rivited stuff though I had friends who did. Very pretty work you do.............Stephanie

mistunderstood
08-04-2012, 10:19 PM
I rent so I have no space to store big things for black smithing. I use to do stain glass to.

JessicaVal
08-04-2012, 10:41 PM
I've always wondered how stained glass is done...never looked it up. I think that could be a fun and beautiful way to be creative.

mistunderstood
08-05-2012, 10:28 AM
It is a cool hobby. Stain glass is made easier by a new use of what is called the foil method. Instead of lead used you use this foil tape. The foil helps make a nicer fit with in between the glass pieces.

Stephanie-L
08-05-2012, 04:41 PM
It is a cool hobby. Stain glass is made easier by a new use of what is called the foil method. Instead of lead used you use this foil tape. The foil helps make a nicer fit with in between the glass pieces.

LOL, I love it. A friend who taught stained glass and jewelery making, taught me foil technique 30 years ago. No, it is not the traditional lead came technique, which is a huge pain to do properly, but it is hardly new, it wasn't even new when he taught me. It was developed by Louis Tiffany, so that makes the technique about 100 years old. The major problem with it is that it does not have enough stability for larger pieces, like large windows. It is great for smaller pieces, like the classic Tiffany Lamp, and smaller windows, and it sure beats glass applaque for looks. It is lots of fun, but very painstaking, and a rather expensive hobby too. Perhaps one day I shall get back into it, I miss a lot of the things I used to do, LOL..............Stephanie

mistunderstood
08-30-2012, 09:25 PM
I am working on a new kit to make these cool skirts that fit around candles. So far it has been a pain. I did find some video on youtube to kind of give me I idea of what I need to do. The written instructions are hard to follow, well be honest I need to see things instead or reading reading them. When I am done I am going to make the cubes you can make then after that I will start the European 4 in 1 and make my first chain maille shirt.

Kate T
09-06-2012, 11:50 PM
Loved the flower. Sounds like lots of fun.

I have a 2 year old son so anything involving small shiny things is sort of out the window in terms of activity for MY enjoyment, as opposed to his!

mistunderstood
09-07-2012, 10:23 AM
Bummer. He will not stay small for ever. I do not have kids but I would like to.

Kate T
09-07-2012, 07:28 PM
No, they don't stay small forever. I am blessed with 3 children, he is the youngest. I never worried about whether I would have kids as a young man but now I can't imagine my life without them. How you can just keep on loving them more and more. Sorry, getting a bit sappy there!

If I was a kid still (mind you, ask my wife and she will say I still am :))I reckon it would be cool having a dad who could make me a suit of armour. I hope you get to have kids some day.

Tracii G
09-08-2012, 12:53 AM
I am getting a renaissance dress made soon and would love to have a chain mail vest or some wrist bands/gloves that would loop over the middle finger.
That flower is very pretty I'm so impressed!!
The vest would have to be more open and not as tight a weave like they used for the Knights but very girly and pretty.

mistunderstood
09-08-2012, 10:59 AM
If you had the time and money you could make it your-self. Plus where I get my stuff from they have all kinds of different colors and choices of metal to choose from. You-tube has great video to help you learn the basic weave. You do not need a bunch of tools all you use is pliers and if you have a Harbor Freight you can buy them cheap. O Harbor Freight is a tool store we have here in Ohio and a few other states.

Tracii G
09-08-2012, 11:34 AM
We have a HF store here I buy parts storage boxes there.
Thanks for the YT tip I'll check that out.