PDA

View Full Version : The whole voice thingy....

britney1
11-18-2005, 04:49 PM
Hello ladies.

Once again, the poll master is at it again. I know there have been many threads starting about which voice you use and how out in public. I wanted to poll the general population. Which voice do you use? As always, feel free to make your comments.

Rebecca Petersen
11-18-2005, 04:59 PM
Shouldn't there be a third choice for those that have spent years working at a female sounding voice that the general population seems to accept? Just a thought.
Rebecca

Jasmine Ellis
11-18-2005, 05:07 PM
Hi Britney. When I talk it's in a low soft voice darling, it was hard at first but after 3 to 4 weeks I got there. But I can still use my man voice if I got to darling.:)

Wendy me
11-18-2005, 06:30 PM
Shouldn't there be a third choice for those that have spent years working at a female sounding voice that the general population seems to accept? Just a thought.
Rebecca
yar what Rebecca said not enough choises..........

uknowhoo
11-18-2005, 06:42 PM
A fourth option, which would apply to me is...
Both, depending on the situation.

Katrina
11-18-2005, 06:45 PM
Well last night was the first time I had to use my fem voice and I gave it my best shot. The alternative was possibly freaking out the cashier at the drug store when I sounded like a guy. I think I did a reasonable job though.

Joanne08
11-18-2005, 07:11 PM
We'll need a 5th choice because I don't say anything when I've gone out. I have nodded my head or looked the other way when confronted. I have tried to have a feminine voice and talked very softly for a feminine voice. But, there ain't no mistaking what gender my body is when I open my mouth so if I have to speak it'll have to be my male voice.....What's you lookin' at?

Love, Jo

Kimberly
11-18-2005, 08:27 PM
never really tried it... so I'm guessing.

xx

HaleyPink2000
11-18-2005, 11:03 PM
I have a nice high voice anyway and I get called Ma'am on the phone anyway.

Haley:)

Fallen Angel
11-18-2005, 11:21 PM
Whwn i go out i just use a softer lower tone voice as well may be still a bit manly but its works xxxx

Michelle Hart
11-19-2005, 02:55 AM
Still practicing "how to talk" in that girly way.

Rachel Ann
11-19-2005, 04:19 AM
It's quite a challenge for me because I have a very deep "radio announcer" voice. But I was coached to make it "breathy", inhaling before speaking, and that helps a lot.

Anyway, one must always at least try!

Shaylynn
11-19-2005, 06:18 AM
I'm An Irish tenor so its not too hard to sound like a woman. In fact When answering the phone I'm often mistaken for a Woman. "Hello Miss" at first I was shocked now I like it when taken for a lady.

Nikki Dee
11-19-2005, 06:29 AM
Those of you who are mistaken for girls over the phone...lucky sods.!!!!.I have to work at my voice...I soften it and speak slower...with less "attack"...a male thing which has to be curbed.!!!
Love Nikki. x

Rebecca Jeanne
11-19-2005, 06:59 AM
I use a more quiet and higher pitched voice. At times I have been called Maam on the phone.

Wendy me
11-19-2005, 07:09 AM
i do find that trying to like sing along to a song softly helpes that over powering "him" voice.........

Julie
11-19-2005, 10:59 AM
I use my male voice because I feel phony if I try to do a female voice. I can't think of any CDers who do female voices.

Sam-antha
11-19-2005, 11:50 AM
Difficult to do.... I mean female voices are difficult for us in general
Best to keep the voice low, not necessarily husky, just quiet.
Breathe in at the start of a sentence or phrase and avoid those masculine sounds like the "r" in "darling", but not too much of the "dahling" please.

Artificial voices can sound just that unless well practised. On the other hand, most folk we come into contact with do not notice... anything.

Bernadina
11-19-2005, 01:08 PM
Can't vote again as the poll is missing the "other" option.

I have what is classified as a unisex voice. Unless someone knows me or I make a concerted effort to sound male, there is no way they can tell my gender by voice only.

I'm frequently called madam on the phone, or in person until the other person actually looks at me.

BeckyCath
11-19-2005, 01:49 PM
I do try to change the tone and pitch of my voice, but i don't honestly know how well i do... I was live on BBC radio for 2 hours on Monday answering questions about transgender issues, and having heard the tapes, i thought i sounded very male, but others who listened tell me i sounded androgenous...

The hardest thing is to pass as a woman in the phone, IRL, the body language and gestures play an important part to peoples perception...

If you walk like a cowboy and have beard shadow showing, no matter how girly your voice, people will always clock you... i'd honestly say voice isn't that an important issue if you're just nipping out every now and then... it's entirely different if you're TS and going full time/ gone full time... Then speach and language therapy is a must, as it's not how you say it, it also what and the way you say it...

Rebecca

Rachel Ann
11-19-2005, 01:55 PM
I can't think of any CDers who do female voices.
Some I know might surprise you, Julie!

Of course, the voice itself must have beneath it a feminine choice of words and emphasis.

Sam-antha
11-19-2005, 05:10 PM
Right Bernadina, there seem to be a few of us like this.

Is it another missing option. Really polling can be difficult, except of course, public opinion polls where the outcome is known and the questions are without real meaning.

womanatheart
11-19-2005, 06:05 PM
Female Voice:
What a task! I was out at a mall efem last night and went to the counter to return and purchase some items. The young gal didnt seem to indicate she read me (no I am not that passable), and because of the return, she asked for my drivers license. All the while I am grunting short replies and looking down and around, digging in my purse. She replies innocently and semi loudly: "Oh' we are shy?" and looking right at me. I grunt something, avoiding a full or half hearted female voice attempt (which I cannot do). She looks at my license and hands it back and says: "So you must be new to the area" (out of state license). Still trying to engage (semi loudly) me in conversation. I would gladly engage her but there now are 5 customers on my tail, all within earshot. I guess I should of engaged her in my male voice - but I was afraid of her loud responses and the others behind me hearing her (screams???, Questions??)
So - using female voice? Only in my dreams. Hope one day. If you know how - I will buy the CD!
Love,
Stephanie

Rachel Ann
11-20-2005, 02:35 AM
It is another missing option. ... polling can be difficult ...
It always pays to include "other" or "none of the above" in a poll even if you can't think of what that might be at the time.

Marlena Dahlstrom
11-20-2005, 12:09 PM
I can't think of any CDers who do female voices.

It usually takes a lot of work, but there's girls who would definitely surprise you. (I'm not there yet.)

I agree, there needs to be an option for that, as well as "it depends on the circumstances" (which is mostly what I do) as well as "unisex voice" (which is also kind of what I do).

Stephanie, I suspect the girl at the counter did probably read you and was pushing you to talk to see if she was right. Best thing to do is to reply confidently. So what if she screamed? Her problem, not your's. And I seriously doubt that would've happened. After all, you were the customer, so she's there to serve you.

Amelie
11-20-2005, 12:45 PM
I have no problems using a female voice,,,, Ok I sound like Aunt Zelma from the Simpsons, but she is a female and I sound like her,,,, a female.

Strike
11-21-2005, 09:40 PM
My male voice, at the end of the day I am a bloke that likes to dress up as a women same way with tomboys dressing up as guys.