PDA

View Full Version : Did I Just Say That Outloud

Kelley
08-11-2012, 09:07 AM
Has this ever happened to anyone else?

My son (age 20) and I were going to dinner at a resteraunt in a larg shopping center. While we drove through the parking lot I noticed a shop that I had not noticed before and thought to myself, hmmm I didn't know there was a Coldwater Creek was here. My son turned to me and said "do you shop at women's stores"? After a short pause I said oh, I thought it was one of those outfitters shop. About a minute later I realized that was an opportunity lost to talk to him about my CD as I have thinking of comming out to him but not sure of his attitude about it. I then asked him what if I did would that bother you? He said no, maybe I will open up to him soon.

bridget thronton
08-11-2012, 10:47 AM
I think your son will be okay with it then

Rachel Morley
08-11-2012, 11:12 AM
My son turned to me and said "do you shop at women's stores"?
Hummm ... not sure what I would do if my son were to say that to me. I guess it would depend on how he said it. Did he say those words in an somewhat alarmed tone? or did he he ask it in a relaxed casual nonchalant way? Maybe it was a missed opportunity to talk to him about your CDing but if you spend enough time with him another opportunity will bound to come up sooner or later.

Kelley
08-11-2012, 12:00 PM
Hi Rachel
He said it kind of relaxed as one would say with one eyebrow raised.

Hi Bridget
Thant for the comment. I think he will be ok with it but my wife is convinced he will be devastated. Just a mother hen reaction

larry
08-11-2012, 12:02 PM
Me thinks he suspects already and was giving you your chance to fes up.

Kaz
08-11-2012, 12:02 PM
He probably knows already?

Alice B
08-11-2012, 12:08 PM
At age 20 I think there is a good chance he already suspects or knows. Time to have the talk.

sometimes_miss
08-11-2012, 12:32 PM
"do you shop at women's stores"? .
The quick answer is 'Of course, how do you buy presents for the girls in your life?' I used to make Christmas season a great excuse for browsing in women's clothing stores, holding up really beautiful sexy items, wondering how nice it would feel, and never got a second glance as far as I know. During busy times there were usually more than one guy doing the same thing, but perhaps for different reasons. OTOH, in the past I HAVE bought girlfriends clothes, so it's not a stretch to be buying stuff there, however should I purchase something in what is clearly my size I suppose it might be a bit obvious.

Barbara Ella
08-11-2012, 12:44 PM
Oh the tricks our mind sometimes plays on us. Hard to know just how loud I have been thinking at times too...lol

At 20 your son is old enough, and probably has an inclination of something. Mothers's often have an elevated feeling of the respect a son has for his father, and what makes up that respect. God bless them.

Best of luck whenever you decide.

Barbara

Beverley Sims
08-11-2012, 12:52 PM
I think the time has come.
Good luck.

Darlene-VA
08-11-2012, 01:11 PM
I would have the talk for the door has been opened...good luck!

Kelli Ca
08-11-2012, 01:17 PM
It's a good way to test the waters, I had a similar situation yesterday, I was checking the piglet light and needed a mirror so I asked my step daughter for her aunts make up mirror. She said oh I thought you were going to wear make up or something along those lines, to which I replied no only on Fridays , oh wait it is Friday. Later I joked about it again with her mom and her at which point I got the look from my wife so I dropped it. My wife is accepting but only so. Much for now

Pexetta
08-11-2012, 04:50 PM
My favourite colleague was once telling me how ashamed she was of spending so much money on 'lipstick and dresses', and she joked that I probably didn't have that problem. 'You don't know what people do in the evenings,' I replied, and there was a thoughtful silence. It was quite cinematic. Then she shyly said that she loved to look pretty and could understand 'other people' wanting to do the same.

Neither of us has ever mentioned it again but we've got on even better ever since then. It was a confidence well shared.

BLUE ORCHID
08-11-2012, 05:48 PM
Him Kelley, Ok The ball is on your court now, Are you going to shoot or just stand there and dribble .
Please do keep us advised.

Kelley
08-11-2012, 06:10 PM
I think y'all are right, he probably has his suspicions and I have been talking with him about different think to get a fell for how he would react. He is level headed and intelligent so I believe he will be accepting. So I will tell him, just need to find the right time (soon I think).

Julogden
08-11-2012, 06:47 PM
From what you've related, I suspect that the outcome will be a good one, Kelley. :)

I slipped up a few weeks ago when talking on the phone with a female friend. I don't recall the exact way we got around to discussing shoe sizes, but my friend asked me what size shoe I wear and I responded that I wear a men's size 14/15, only took a second for me to realize that it was a bit weird for me to specify that it was a men's size. She didn't say anything about what I said, and the conversation continued normally. She's very smart though and I suspect she picked up on what I said. She's also not one to butt into other's business, so I don't expect any repercussions.

Carol

DonnaT
08-13-2012, 02:39 PM
How did he know it was a womens clothing store?