PDA

View Full Version : Would you reveal you're CDing interests while under anesthesia?

Brigid
08-12-2012, 11:10 AM
I'm going to have a colonoscopy done this week. Of course you are under anesthesia for the procedure. This got me to thinking. Has anyone feared what they might say about their hidden personality while under anesthesia? I don't really care what I will say but my wife would.

STACY B
08-12-2012, 11:31 AM
I had surgery about 2 weeks ago on my vericose veins ,, An left on my toe nail polish ,, An of corse my legs were slick as a baby butt ,, So they most probily knew already ,, Other than that ? But thats just me ,,I dont think that you Babble while your out ?

Lorileah
08-12-2012, 11:33 AM
who is going to hear except the medical people in the room? They won't tell. So don't worry about it.

Ann Thomas
08-12-2012, 11:36 AM
I had a colonoscopy done under twilight anesthesia a couple of years ago. My wife was with me much of the time. Basically from what it sounded like, I was the same person while under that as I am when not. I just can't remember any of it at all. She said the craziest thing I said was after the procedure was finished, I let go of all that air they had pumped in to inflate my colon, and I said, "Don't worry it won't smell bad - I haven't eaten for a day and a half!"

Don't worry, you'll be fine. Hospital staff really are interested in your physical health and discover all kinds of things about people regularly, and for many, very little is shocking any more.

Ann

STACY B
08-12-2012, 11:37 AM
who is going to hear except the medical people in the room? They won't tell. So don't worry about it.

Oh BULL,,,, They will tell ,,,I know DR. STACY will for sure ,,An while your under I might do a little something extra ,,,LOL,,,,

Lorileah
08-12-2012, 11:39 AM
Yeah but Dr Stacy can't keep a secret we all know that. That is why we all have something on YOU so we can counter the blackmail

Beverley Sims
08-12-2012, 11:41 AM
There are things that you say are less than believable if you say anything at all.
So unless you reveal the position of the lost goldmine in the Arizona dessert they are not likely to worry.
Be concerned if there is a map drawn on your forehead when you wake up.:)

STACY B
08-12-2012, 11:42 AM
Yeah but Dr Stacy can't keep a secret we all know that. That is why we all have something on YOU so we can counter the blackmail

Tell,,,Tell,,,Tell,,,, Set a FAT GIRL ,,,,,,,,,, FREE .... Free at last,,,,Free at last,,,, Give me my friggen PLATFORMS an stand away from the door ,,,Im free AT LAST !!! LOL,,,,,,

Laura912
08-12-2012, 11:53 AM
Part of the fear of talking too much under anesthesia is left over from the days when scopolamine was used. It was the one frequently referred to as "truth serum" and made a lot of good movie plots. The intravenous sedation used particularly for colonoscopy procedures does not set the tongue free. Relax. Enjoy? :eek:

Marleena
08-12-2012, 11:58 AM
You'll be fine unless they add some sodium pentathol. Then all bets are off!:D

whowhatwhen
08-12-2012, 12:13 PM
I've had 5 or so colonoscopies so far and my GI doc hasn't said a word about anything I might have said.
The only thing I remember was from my first one, I remember saying "what is that?" upon seeing a diseased section of colon on the display.

The next thing I knew I woke up, but every other time since then I've just fallen asleep and woke up in the recovery area.
Although the last time I started repeating "fluffy bunnies" in a likely vain attempt to hold on to any secrets :P

Come to think of it that probably creeped them out more than normal inane ramblings.
Hmm, I wonder if I blabbed about checking out my anesthesiologist while he was setting up last week when I got my gastroscopy.

O_O

tl;dr:
You probably won't say anything, and even if you do they've heard it all and won't care.
:)

Jilmac
08-12-2012, 12:15 PM
I think it's a non issue, I've been under anesthesia at the VA medical center and if I revealed anything about my dressing, nobody there mentioned it to me. Also they've seen me in panties when I go for my checkups and again never spoke a word to me about it. As medical professionals, they've seen it all anyway so why worry about it?

Launa
08-12-2012, 12:48 PM
You'll be fine and probably ramble on about things that don't make complete sense if you say anything at all. Its not like they will ask you questions while you're under like, how often do you like to dress like a girl? Also don't let the wife be in the same room during the procedure, make her stay in the waiting room.

suzy1
08-12-2012, 12:58 PM
I asked my Doctor friend about this once and he said it is very unlikely. Something about your brain still working in the background and not saying anything that you would not say if you were awake. So you have nothing to worry about.

I hope that helps Brigid.

Msora
08-12-2012, 01:29 PM
I doubt anything you say under anesthesia will be intelligible, and if it is, no one will care. People say strange things when they don't have full control of their faculties.

Sort of related story, I once went with a bunch of friends to see a hypnotist perform. People in the audience kept getting accidentally hypnotized, so the guy had all the women in the crowd do one thing and all the men in the crowd do another. I had to fight it off lest I reveal to my friends how I actually see myself.

Amy R Lynn
08-12-2012, 01:35 PM
honestly I could care less what I say while under anesthesia. As long as none of them know me outside of that office. And as far as if I had a wife goes, I would hope that the doctor would keep it professional and not say a word to her about anything that hear me say. It would be very unprofessional of them to come out and tell your wife, "Do you know what your husband said to us while he was under?" I don't tihnk you need to worry really.

Amy Fakley
08-12-2012, 01:46 PM
Oh man, I've had more colonoscopies (and endoscopies, and surgeries, and various other procedures) than I can count.

If you do say something you won't remember it ... and the staff in the room for sure ain't going to take it seriously. To them you're just another patient off to la-la land. Believe me. This is absolutely nothing to worry about.

Eryn
08-12-2012, 03:06 PM
I had a colonoscopy done under twilight anesthesia a couple of years ago. My wife was with me much of the time. Basically from what it sounded like, I was the same person while under that as I am when not. I just can't remember any of it at all.

Which leads to the question, if you experience pain during the procedure but can't remember it, did the pain happen? The only moment of awareness I remember during my procedure was like waking up with the worst gas pain ever. I think that I said something about it and that was the end of the memory. I'm pretty sure that they pumped in a bit more Versed which again turned off my ability to remember anything.

Vanessa Storrs
08-12-2012, 03:27 PM
A colonoscopy under anesthesis is virtually pain free and safe. It can detemine the presence of cancerous or precancerous growths. Do not take a chance on cancer get your colon scoped!

Debglam
08-12-2012, 03:42 PM
Relax, go out and get a pedi with color before your procedure and REALLY give em something to talk about! :heehee:

Seriously, good luck with the procedure.

Debby

whowhatwhen
08-12-2012, 04:51 PM
Which leads to the question, if you experience pain during the procedure but can't remember it, did the pain happen? The only moment of awareness I remember during my procedure was like waking up with the worst gas pain ever. I think that I said something about it and that was the end of the memory. I'm pretty sure that they pumped in a bit more Versed which again turned off my ability to remember anything.

I did with my first colonoscopy, which is part of the reason they couldn't complete it since I was more awake and thus protested too much.
Later ones I just fully went to sleep.

^^^^^^^
mfakley: Broken colon hi-five!

Allisa
08-12-2012, 09:27 PM
I''ve had 2 knee surgeries,my appendix out,dental surgery and and the only thing I remember saying is 100,99,98,97 zzzzzzzzzzzz.
Lisa

sonna
08-12-2012, 09:58 PM
i wont have to say anything the panties shod give it away

Stephanie47
08-12-2012, 10:37 PM
I had a colonoscopy several years ago and watched the entire procedure on the television monitor. Cool! Usually you're not totally under.

Diane Smith
08-12-2012, 11:37 PM
Hmmm, let's see ... red toenails, long acrylic fingernails, permanent eyeshadow, femme tattoos and piercings all over ... I don't think anything I could say while anesthetized would speak louder than what they could already see for themselves! I've long quit worrying about what any medical professionals see or hear when I am examined. There have been zero consequences except for a pleasant conversation about nail polish with a nurse once when I was in the hospital for a few days, and my primary care doc who always asks to see my newest tattoos.

- Diane

docrobbysherry
08-13-2012, 12:28 AM
I recently had a double hernia operation. I think if I talked while out, they may have removed my penis while they were working down!

I've still got so I guess not!

BLUE ORCHID
08-13-2012, 06:48 AM
Hi Brigid, That would be the least of my worries laying on that table in that position.

Kerigirl2009
08-13-2012, 07:47 AM
I once had a procedure done under some sort of anestesia and apparently I did talk aboout some things while they where doing the procedure. I do not remember the conversation at all, but my wife does and apparently it was emberassing to her. I got some smirks from the nurses after the procedure, which I do remember.

Nurses said what is said in the room stays in the room, and my wife has never really spoken about it since that day. Good luck and if you are concerned, go into the procedure by yourself.

linda allen
08-13-2012, 07:47 AM
I had a colonoscopy several years ago and watched the entire procedure on the television monitor. Cool! Usually you're not totally under.
I depends on how it's done. I get them once a year now and I'm out the entire time.

The danger is, when it's over and they take you to the recovery area, the person who brought you and will drive you home may be sitting by your side while you're still under. So - you might say something that you wouldn't say if you were fully awake. This may or may not be a problem for you.

BillieJoEllen
08-13-2012, 10:53 AM
Three years ago I had some major organ removed. The whole time I was hospitalized for that my nurses came in with big S___ EATING grins on their faces. One nurse kept referring to my 'gown' as my 'dress'. Somehow, somewhere along the line I must've revealed something. It was embarrassing because I don't know what I said or when I said it. I've had numerous surgeries before and since with absolutely no problems.

Sarah Doepner
08-13-2012, 12:21 PM
If you think being embarrassed because you said something about crossdressing while you are under anesthesia, try walking around the cancer treatment facility with a colostomy bag under your arm because you didn't get the scope.

We've been living for over 6 years now with colon cancer because my bride didn't go in for the colonoscopy when she should have. Don't delay it, please.

Amy Fakley
08-13-2012, 12:43 PM
If you think being embarrassed because you said something about crossdressing while you are under anesthesia, try walking around the cancer treatment facility with a colostomy bag under your arm because you didn't get the scope.

We've been living for over 6 years now with colon cancer because my bride didn't go in for the colonoscopy when she should have. Don't delay it, please.

^^^ THIS ^^^

I honestly can't believe this thread is still alive.
You think anyone is going to take what you say under anesthesia seriously? You have to be kidding!
The last time I went under for a colonoscopy, the first thing I actually remember after coming out from the drugs (because what they use does leave a memory hole) after was that I was babbling incoherently about how I thought one of the "machines that go ping" sounded really badass and I kept asking someone to put up a mic, but they wouldn't listen. After about 10 minutes I realized I was in the hospital.

The people that work there, hear this crazy-ass sh!t all day every day.
On the off chance your wife is there and you DO say something revealing and you don't feel like using the opportunity to come clean, then juheezuz, girl ... just say "I was all f'd up ... what'd I say again LOL?"

nobody will think twice, and the chances are like 99% that you won't say anything incriminating anyhow, because you will actually be in la-la land.

as they say "take off your big girl panties and ride the scope!"

linda allen
08-13-2012, 01:07 PM
Three years ago I had some major organ removed. The whole time I was hospitalized for that my nurses came in with big S___ EATING grins on their faces. One nurse kept referring to my 'gown' as my 'dress'. Somehow, somewhere along the line I must've revealed something. It was embarrassing because I don't know what I said or when I said it. I've had numerous surgeries before and since with absolutely no problems.

Well, what organ did you have removed? Would removing that organ have made a dress more appropriate?

Cheryl T
08-13-2012, 01:14 PM

Besides, if you are under anesthesia it's like dreaming...you might say anything.
I'd be more worried about saying something negative about my job or a friend.

Kate Simmons
08-13-2012, 01:15 PM
Really, how valid is anything we may say while our brain is all "loosey goosey"?:)

whowhatwhen
08-13-2012, 01:54 PM
At least it's not a sigmoidoscopy, I was awake and undrugged for that and I don't need to tell you how uncomfortable that was...

Alice B
08-13-2012, 01:57 PM
Since my toe nails are painted it was not an issue. I've had the procedure three times.