PDA

View Full Version : My sister’s 3 year old son.

suzy1
08-13-2012, 12:44 PM
I was watching Swan Lake last night and my sister’s 3 year old son was sitting next to me.
Suddenly he said “what a lovely dress” At that moment the female dancer wearing a lovely red dress moved off the stage.
He waited for over 4 minutes to see it again and was thrilled to see her come back on stage.
I am not making anything of this but it was nice to see a 3 year old ‘boy’ appreciate a beautiful dress. He really was thrilled to see it again.

I’m not telling his dad, I will let him do that in about 10-13 years from now.:heehee:

SUZY

~Joanne~
08-13-2012, 01:01 PM
oh oh the gene my have been found in the next generation of your family ;)

Beverley Sims
08-13-2012, 01:11 PM
It is interesting that our perception of what a 3 year old boy thinks to what he is eally thinking can differ greatly.
His association may be with one of his friends or he may be even mimicking an adults reaction he has experienced to that dress.
Anyway we may have to wait 10-13 years from now.

DonnaT
08-13-2012, 01:54 PM
Our 3 yr old grandson told his granny her pj's were pretty. :)

Also, he has a cloth Frankenstein bag my wife gave him for Halloween. Yesterday he made sure to let me know that boys carry bags, and girls carry purses!

Ally 2112
08-13-2012, 02:08 PM
I have seen my grandson plays with his sisters barbies more than once and insisted his toenails be painted when his sister got hers painted .i myself don't think much about it he may just be copying his sister as she is older .Also my daughter does not seem to worried about so hey it's all cool !:):):)

UNDERDRESSER
08-13-2012, 08:48 PM
When I told my friend ( still not my GF yet! ) about being a a CD, she pointed to her toe nails. "See the sparkly polish?" "Yes?" "My 3 year old nephew asked me if I had sparkly toes, when I told him no, he showed me his, then asked me if I wanted sparkly toes as well."

She was quite delighted that he thought it perfectly normal to want pretty toes. She has mentioned the term "Gender performance. " By that she means ...displaying in a manner culturally linked to a specific gender. (?) She has no problem dressing up herself, but objects when it becomes a "requirement" One of her Exs got dumped because he thought she should, be doing more of it. I think this is part of why she was so accepting when I told her, the fact that I would take on part of the "Gender Performance" of a female myself.....<shrug> Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

suzy1
08-14-2012, 01:48 AM
On the point about copying his sister. Ruby probably has not had much affect on him.
She is very very cute but at one year and one month old she is fully occupied with walking across the room without crashing to the floor.:heehee:

Cynthia Anne
08-14-2012, 04:04 PM
That's pretty amazing for a three year old! It's nice to see him appreaciate the finer things in life! Hugs!

Gaby2
08-14-2012, 04:19 PM
Lovely observation, Suzy!
Children are so perfect and natural in so many ways.
My daughters have always loved "dressing-up" - I like to think they have that from me :)
Gaby

ReineD
08-14-2012, 04:31 PM
The idea that little boys should not be attracted to glittery and pretty things comes from adults. All kids like pretty, fluffy, and soft things. They all like stuffed animals for example and most are frightened by scary monster faces. And all kids love bright and vibrant colors. My sons at an early age were mesmerized by my sparkly jewelry and they loved being held when I was wearing soft and cuddly sweaters. They also loved playing "house" since they were mimicking the home life they saw being played out around them. One of my sons liked my heels because he liked being taller. lol This does not mean that they are destined to grow into the CDing. :p

kimdl93
08-14-2012, 05:12 PM
My 4 year old grandson and his younger sister sometimes play dress up. It's just kids being kids until adults interject their fears or prejudices.