PDA

View Full Version : My Son Came Out

TeresaL
08-14-2012, 04:48 PM
My son, now 38, and I met for lunch last month, when he told me he had to come out about something important. He then proceeded to tell me that through the last few years he had gone through much soul searching and came to the conclusion that his religion wasn't working. He went on to explain it wasn't his, but something he was brought up with, and that being an atheist has now made more sense to him.

He drew a long breath and looked to me like a big weight was lifted. I told him that if this is his decision, and I'm fine with it. We talked about it until it seemed he was done with all he had to say about it, and satisfied that I was inclusive and accepting of him.

Then, I asked him if he minded me coming out with something also. He nodded like he was well aware of what I needed to say. So I went on to tell him that my transgender side has never gone away, and that it looks like its here to stay. He then smiled, and said "it's ok dad, I've always known that it's not something that you can NOT quit, because you were born with it and it is a part of you."

That afternoon, we talked at more length about both of our issues, then we parted company and went back with a greater understanding and more love for each other.

Kristy_K
08-14-2012, 04:54 PM
That is so cool to hear. I felt really wonderful when my son came out to me. But I did surprise him when I finally decided to transition.
But he says he will always love me as his dad.

kimdl93
08-14-2012, 05:05 PM
You have a great and wise son.

Tracii G
08-14-2012, 05:11 PM
What a revealing day huh?

Cynthia Anne
08-14-2012, 05:59 PM
I really enjoyed your story Teresal! That is so great! Thanks for sharing!

Lorileah
08-14-2012, 06:02 PM
How was lunch? :)

Great news. Glad you both have talked it out

TeresaL
08-14-2012, 06:16 PM
That is so cool to hear. I felt really wonderful when my son came out to me. But I did surprise him when I finally decided to transition.
But he says he will always love me as his dad.
Our full expression of being feminine is being fully feminine.

How was lunch? :)

Great news. Glad you both have talked it out

It was good. Cheeseburger Paradise.

Kelli Ca
08-14-2012, 06:47 PM
Another success good post I'm. So happy for you

STACY B
08-14-2012, 06:50 PM
To bad everythings not that easy ?

Gaby2
08-14-2012, 06:54 PM
I'm very happy for both of you, Teresa. :)Gaby

helena.gcd
08-14-2012, 08:43 PM
Good for both of you!!!!

but actually, i never thought that being an atheist was something to discuss with my catholic parents.... I guess that now i'm keeping two secrets from them (well, i'm sure they know i don't believe in any god since i was 15 or so, but i have never discussed it with them)

anyway, it is pretty cool that your son now knows you better and is cool with it :)

BLUE ORCHID
08-14-2012, 08:56 PM
Hi Teresa, You two are so lucky to have each other.

Amy R Lynn
08-14-2012, 09:00 PM
That is great that you both understand each other that much better. Now if the rest of the world could just be as understanding as you two!

I'm happy for you both! Congrats!

bridget thronton
08-15-2012, 01:05 AM
And great son you have there

Beverley Sims
08-15-2012, 06:17 AM
We all fear confrontation but it is good when it is a non issue.

May(be)
08-16-2012, 10:21 AM
That's great! I don't have children so I can't imagine how stressful it must be worrying what it might mean to your son that his role-model of what a man should be is not what society says a role-model for a man should be (not that I share this view). One day I will have children, and I hope they are able to cope as well with their transgender father as your son is with his. Congratulations!! This is a major win for you and your family.

Sarah Doepner
08-17-2012, 04:19 PM
That afternoon, we talked at more length about both of our issues, then we parted company and went back with a greater understanding and more love for each other.

I don't think you could ask for anything better than that. Good for both of you and I would only hope the relationship and growth continue.

xdressed
08-17-2012, 05:26 PM
Do people really need to 'come out' as an Atheist in America? It's almost the other way round here lol. I'm glad your son accepts you though, always nice to hear

Amy Fakley
08-17-2012, 05:36 PM
Do people really need to 'come out' as an Atheist in America? It's almost the other way round here lol.

Depends on the region. When I lived up north, it was very much like that ... nobody cared to even ask or think about it.
Down south, religion (esp the protestant/evangelical variety) is a nearly inseparable component of the culture. For instance when I changed my drivers license to my new state after moving down here, the very friendly lady at the DMV said "... so have y'all found a church yet?"

That's not to say people are particularly more religious on a spiritual level down here ... it's more like ... I dunno ... football teams I guess ... with a side of wacky fundamentalism.

back on topic ... Threresa, that is such a heart warming story.
Must have been a proud moment for you both :-)