PDA

View Full Version : Got my nails done today

Billie
11-19-2005, 12:01 AM
I got my nails done today. I got them done yesterday too, but they used with tips and they were so white, I didn't think that work would be ok with them. I went into a different shop and had them take them off and after much soaking and grinding put a new clear set on. They're about an 1/4" long and buffed so they look pretty much natural.

Both times the people working were a little shocked that I was getting them done, buy didn't seem to really care. They both did a really good job. They might have been saying things about me, but I didn't understand and they didn't laugh, so they probably didn't.

They do make typing a bit harder, I'll have to get used to them before work on Monday.

Adrianne
11-19-2005, 09:02 AM
Great Billie, i want to get mine done one day but the i do i would damage them very easy.

JennMW
11-19-2005, 09:36 AM
Billie, good for you!

I've had mine done before and just love it.

Be sure to join the Beauty Club forum (on this site) (by sending a PM to DanaJ) and read her posts on the things to look out for when getting manicures and especially artificial nails.

DanaJ
11-19-2005, 10:15 AM
I went into a different shop and had them take them off and after much soaking and grinding put a new clear set on. Billie, be very careful here. It sounds as if they were using MMA acrylic, which is banned for nail use. If they had to grind at all this is usually bad. I have this covered in the Beauty Club, but in the meantime check out this link:
http://www.beautyweb.com/consumer_alert_mma.htm I know getting nails done is fun, and most people think "What does it matter where I get them done" but, this is the reason nail techs have to be licensed. They can do damage to your nails permanently if not done properly.....

JoAnnDallas
11-21-2005, 09:53 AM
About a month ago, I convinced my wife to let me get acrlyic nails, since I have a real bad problem of my nails splitting, breaking, and cracking down the center. I have noticed that NO ONE NOTICES my nails, with the exception of my grand neice, who thinks I'm the best Uncle since sliced bread. Even she has now stopped complaining after even her mother and step-father made comments like "They look good", "Nice nails".
So enjoy your nails, No is going to notice anyway.

Billie
11-21-2005, 04:42 PM
I may have gotten them a bit too long; people noticed. Nothing bad was said, but then again I was at work and everyone is on eggshells about someone going to HR.

I don't know what kind of acrylic they used, it looked the same as the other places I've had them done.

Wife didn't like them, but she was too upset. I'll be shortening them here in a few minutes with a nail file. Hope that works.

DanaJ
11-21-2005, 04:55 PM
Billie - did you read the link I posted? And why would your work want to get you in trouble if your nails are only 1/4 inch long??

Billie
11-21-2005, 05:08 PM
They wouldn't get me introuble, they would worry that they would for saying something that could be taken as harassment. I did read the link, the place that took off the set only let them soak for a few minutes between removing the acrylic that jelled. But now after reading that info, it may be easier to just let them grow.

DanaJ
11-21-2005, 05:12 PM
OK, my mistake - in your first post you said:

and after much soaking and grinding I thought that meant that they were hard to come off....

Billie
11-21-2005, 05:24 PM
Yeah, I kind of exagerated on that.

Christina Nicole
11-22-2005, 05:14 PM
Enjoy your nails! Having your nails done is a nice feminine experience. There's not much more feminine than a nicely manicured hand with long polished nails.

My favorite "out as a woman" things to do are to get a manicure and pedicure. I've often had acrylic nails done, too. Ethyl Methacrylate isn't that easy to remove. It has taken me as long as two hours of soaking in acetone to remove them. I've done my own acrylics using EMA monomer and they took just as long to remove, so I know that the salon didn't use MMA.

Now when I go out for the day, I just use the fake nails that over the entire nail and fill in where necessary with the EMA acrylics. They soak off much faster. I suppose if I was going to stay en-femme for a few days, I'd have acrylics or gels done again. They do look nicer.

Warmest regards,
Christina Nicole

Jasmine Ellis
11-22-2005, 05:28 PM
I don't have fake nails but I do know what you are saying. I use to and had a bad time of it. so now I have lovely long nails and hit the roof if one brakes off, :cry: