PDA

View Full Version : Female hormones?

Shulove
08-15-2012, 01:20 PM
Thinking about starting a female hormone regiment. I've been reading a lot on the subject but I would love some first hand experience on the issue.please tell me what works, what's the down side and how you have faired with your diet of pills. Don't want to jump in blindly but I do want do jump in.... Wish I was a girl...love..

Hillary

kellycan27
08-15-2012, 01:38 PM
To what end do you wish to take them? Transition?

Bree-asaurus
08-15-2012, 01:40 PM
Well, I think this is something you should consult your doctor about, but (aside from discussing dosages, not allowed here) the basic regimen in the US is Spironolactone to kill the T and estrodiol pills, patches or injections.

Why do you want to start HRT? Are you trying to align the mental with the physical, or are you just looking for boobs? Are you okay with becoming sterile and losing the functionality of your penis?

LeaP
08-15-2012, 02:31 PM
As for "what works" in the sense of physical changes - everyone's goals are different ... but you don't have control of the outcomes anyway.

As for what works in the sense of being an effective administration method (for estrogen, for example) or the particular formulation, that depends on the individual and factors like age, liver condition, metabolism etc. No-one can give you the right answer for you except a doctor who will do an assessment and the proper monitoring.

Opinions differ on the likelihood of potential side effects, but the list below hits the highlights. Note that these apply even with a doctor monitoring. If you self-medicate, it's a case of assuming unknown and uncontrolled levels of risk.

Loss of muscle mass and strength

Atrophy of the genitalia

Sterility (permanent)

Endocrine collapse

Blood clots

Prolactinoma

Cognitive issues (more typically associated with T-blockers than estrogen)

Non-reversible physical changes (like breast growth)

And of course, there is the chance that your results will simply be disappointing

Traci Elizabeth
08-15-2012, 02:45 PM
You might want to try an Aspirin & go to bed.

Beverley Sims
08-15-2012, 02:46 PM
Before you jump off the cliff make sure you have hold of your doctor's hand.
Read carefully what Lea has to say, and Bree speaks with experience as well.
Do you want to be a woman and interact with men? Marry, adopt children?
For those that really do want to transition, this next line is the saddest and most serious part of all.
There is the chance that your results will simply be disappointing.

Bree-asaurus
08-15-2012, 02:50 PM
[...] Prolactinoma [...]

Not really true...

What is usually the case here is people undergoing HRT have their prolactin levels checked with their routine bloodwork, and because of this, a prolactinoma can be discovered before it causes any symptoms. A lot of people have prolactinomas and don't realize it because checking prolactin levels isn't something most people do. In the general population, people don't find out they have a prolactinoma until they have symptoms (headaches, vision problems) that they report to their doctor and the doc searches for the cause.

LeaP
08-15-2012, 03:00 PM
What is usually the case here is people undergoing HRT have their prolactin levels checked with their routine bloodwork, and because of this, a prolactinoma can be discovered before it causes any symptoms. A lot of people have prolactinomas and don't realize it because checking prolactin levels isn't something most people do. In the general population, people don't find out they have a prolactinoma until they have symptoms (headaches, vision problems) that they report to their doctor and the doc searches for the cause.

Yes, but it's not clear to me that the OP is necessarily going through a doctor anyway. My point was that one of the downsides (about which she asked) is the heightened risk of a pituitary tumor. An additional downside, now that I think of it, is that if elevated prolactin levels are found, stopping one's HRT regimen has its own effects, psychological and physical. (Which, of course, you know.)

Bree-asaurus
08-15-2012, 03:13 PM
Yes, but it's not clear to me that the OP is necessarily going through a doctor anyway. My point was that one of the downsides (about which she asked) is the heightened risk of a pituitary tumor. An additional downside, now that I think of it, is that if elevated prolactin levels are found, stopping one's HRT regimen has its own effects, psychological and physical. (Which, of course, you know.)

I'm saying the 'heightened risk' of a pituitary tumor is mostly speculation. If someone on HRT has a prolactinoma, they would likely have had it anyway. It would have just been discovered due to the extra bloodwork they get done.

Just being nitpicky :D

There are plenty of other risks with HRT like you mentioned. And you are totally right... even the simple changing of your hormone levels in the short term can cause psychological issues.

Kristy_K
08-15-2012, 03:41 PM
To what end do you wish to take them? Transition?

I agree..... ..

melissaK
08-15-2012, 04:35 PM
Sweetie, where are you in your life as transgendered? (Forgive my laziness in not backtracking into you past posts.).

Prescription hormones will change you. "Bioidenticals" and herb based, no. Get a therapist for a mental health clearance. Get a doctor for a medical clearance and a prescription. If you try to bypass these steps you'll get tons of warning advice. There is a permanent sticky note on this site about risks of bypassing the doctor. Reading it is highly recommended.

Hugs,
'lissa

Stephanie-L
08-15-2012, 07:09 PM
I agree with the others here, you need to know why you want hormones. They are not something you can experiment with, the changes can be rapid, profound, and permanent. If you are indeed a transexual, then hormones may be just what you want. If you just want to grow breasts, they are not the way to go. If you go the legit route of seeing a mental health professional, preferably one with experience in the trans community, then you will probably have a presciption in six months or sometimes much less. If you try to go the DIY route, you can start hormones in about a month, but you have no idea if it is the right dose....for you. Everyone is different, and you should have proper monitoring for this. But first, you need to figure out what you want, and in the process figure out who you are. Good luck to you..........................Stephanie

Raquel June
08-15-2012, 08:54 PM
I'm saying the 'heightened risk' of a pituitary tumor is mostly speculation.

I also think the "permanent sterility" part that gets thrown around is a dubious claim. I guess it's a good reality check to let people know HRT is serious, but I haven't seen actual studies/fact that it is based in.

Sure, if you change your mind two years down the road you'll probably have more boob than you'd want as a guy, but I had to go off estrogen for a few months, and it only took me a month to regain fully normal dude sexual function. And wow does morning wood hurt when you haven't had it in a year.

Bree-asaurus
08-15-2012, 09:08 PM
I also think the "permanent sterility" part that gets thrown around is a dubious claim. I guess it's a good reality check to let people know HRT is serious, but I haven't seen actual studies/fact that it is based in.

Sure, if you change your mind two years down the road you'll probably have more boob than you'd want as a guy, but I had to go off estrogen for a few months, and it only took me a month to regain fully normal dude sexual function. And wow does morning wood hurt when you haven't had it in a year.

Yeah... I don't know if the sterility part is entirely factual, but I do know that I tried going off hormones for a bit to see if I could get some [stuff] to freeze and didn't have any luck. But that was a pretty short-term test so I don't exactly hold any proof in my hands :P

And oh yeah... the pain... I still have that functionality when the moment strikes, but our sex life has 1-3 week gaps, and after the longer periods of inactivity it is quite painful :( But that's nothing compared to the emotional pain of daily morning wood!

Raquel June
08-15-2012, 09:18 PM
... But that's nothing compared to the emotional pain of daily morning wood!

That gave me a clear mental image of a comically serious Zoloft commercial with the Sad Dot trying to cope with the emotional pain of being trans and having massive morning wood.

Sara Jessica
08-15-2012, 09:35 PM
You might want to consult with that wonderful wife of yours. She might have issues with a number of the effects that result from a female hormone regimen.

ReneeT
08-15-2012, 10:05 PM
That gave me a clear mental image of a comically serious Zoloft commercial with the Sad Dot trying to cope with the emotional pain of being trans and having massive morning wood.

I would love to see that commercial! how long ago did you see it?

Raquel June
08-15-2012, 10:46 PM

I mean I imagined it when I read "emotional pain of daily morning wood" :)

Bree-asaurus
08-15-2012, 10:50 PM

I mean I imagined it when I read "emotional pain of daily morning wood" :)

HAHA! They would never air that on TV!

"Feeling down? Like you're all alone? Is morning wood making you feel boo-boo? Ask your doctor about Zoloft." :D