PDA

View Full Version : First results of blood tests after starting hormones

StephanieC
08-16-2012, 07:17 PM
My doctor is such a darling. She placed the order for the blood test and relayed the results to me but she said she had no clue what we were looking for. The results will be relayed to my "gender doctor".

This is after 6 weeks on hormones..

T at my annual exam in June was 300+. Today it is 24. She said if she didn't know I was on estrogen, she would be wanting to put me on T so badly.

I didn't get tested for E but did for progestrin (I think?)..that was normal.

There were some other things tested but apparently they were all normal.

I think going from 300+ to 24 in six weeks seems pretty dramatic but I have no frame of reference. I'm thinking 24 is still too high...

-stephani

Bree-asaurus
08-16-2012, 07:23 PM
My doctor is such a darling. She placed the order for the blood test and relayed the results to me but she said she had no clue what we were looking for. The results will be relayed to my "gender doctor".

This is after 6 weeks on hormones..

T at my annual exam in June was 300+. Today it is 24. She said if she didn't know I was on estrogen, she would be wanting to put me on T so badly.

I didn't get tested for E but did for progestrin (I think?)..that was normal.

There were some other things tested but apparently they were all normal.

I think going from 300+ to 24 in six weeks seems pretty dramatic but I have no frame of reference. I'm thinking 24 is still too high...

-stephani

24 is in the normal range for women.

I'm surprised they didn't check your estradiol levels, but they would check progestin?

The main things my doc tests for is prolactin and estrodiol. He never checked testosterone... you can tell when it's low enough :P I checked my T levels recently just to see if my orchiectomy worked ;)

StephanieC
08-16-2012, 07:31 PM
24 is in the normal range for women.

I'm surprised they didn't check your estradiol levels, but they would check progestin?

So this looks like good news! Yay!

Thanks for the comment Bree. I double-checked the request and it was prolactin, not progestin. I knew it was pro...something. Anyway, I guess this was "normal"

-stephani

Stephanie-L
08-16-2012, 08:43 PM
Yes, 24 is a great T level. Your levels should simply be in the normal range for a pre-menopausal woman. Next time you do need an estradiol level, that is probably the most important, it tells you if you are getting enough to feminize you. Also, you may want a free T as well as a total T, plus a prolactin. An endocriniologist will also do a bunch of other things, like thyroid levels, just to make sure everything is OK. It sounds like you are on the right track, good luck to you.....Stephanie