PDA

View Full Version : The birthday card trick

Gemma Rhodes
11-19-2005, 05:51 AM
Just a tip for those girls who like myself, until very recently, were very nervous about buying their clothes/lingerie etc in drab.

I bought and still do buy a lot of my clothes from Asda and I used to get a fem birthday card (mother, sister, niece etc) and place it in prominent view in my basket before I started looking in the clothes section. I know to you experienced shoppers this may seem a bit daft and I don't bother now myself, I just buy what I like now without a second thought, but its just a tip to girls who are shy and nervous about buying fem clothing. It always made me feel a lot better knowing people would think the clothes were a present for a female relative.

Plus Ive now got enough birthday cards until my mums 148th birthday. :)

Nikki Dee
11-19-2005, 06:17 AM
Hi Love....good tip...like you I just don't bother these days...sod what they think...and I find that the more you tell them the truth the less they believe you anyway. Last time I bought a top when in drab I actually said to the assistant " it's for me"...she said "oh Yeah" with that I don't believe you look...and just laughed.??
Love Nikki. x

Adrianne
11-19-2005, 08:20 AM
Good tip Gemma, i have never done that myself, i just got to the womens clothing area but if you are nervous it is a good idea.

TGMarla
11-19-2005, 09:29 AM
Yes, that would work. And it's only a few bucks, too. I have often just ask for a gift receipt when I'm paying. It has the same effect. Anything to take the edge off. It's probably more for our own peace of mind than for anything else. The fact is they probably just don't really care.

pedebra
11-19-2005, 10:07 AM
Great tip, Gemma. I used to do the same thing myself until I became comfortable buying without anything to try to justify my being in that section of the store. Now I am comfortable browsing and shopping to my hearts content.
Debra

DanaJ
11-19-2005, 10:31 AM
Great idea Gemma! :thumbsup:

Jenny Beth
11-19-2005, 10:41 AM
Another trick, at least at high end shops is to ask to have a gift box. This time of year some will even gift wrap it for you.

Tracy Lynn
11-19-2005, 10:50 AM
I used to do exactly the same thing, did it for years. Now that my SO knows I can shop more freely.

Very good advice for shy newcomers.

MaxineF
11-19-2005, 01:00 PM
The card trick works like a treat, however I had never thought of it in CD'ing.

I had used this as a teenager to access plenty of stuff that I prob shoud not have had access to :)

Maxine

chattaboxx
11-19-2005, 02:31 PM
funny thing, i used that idea last week at Tesco's

Louise

Deborah_UK
11-19-2005, 04:41 PM
chattaboxx

that wasn't you last night (Friday) in Tescos in Toton was it? I saw a guy hovering round the ladies section for quite a while, he eventually picked up one item of clothing, next thing I saw him at the checkout with that and a birthday card.

chattaboxx
11-19-2005, 04:48 PM
No sorry Deborah, it wasn't me ...lol