PDA

View Full Version : I finally had my first time out

Angela Campbell
08-18-2012, 07:32 AM
Last night very late around 3:00 am I decided to just do it. I got all dressed up and went to Wal Mart to get some new clothes.
Ok I left the house and drove down there and sat in my car for 20 minutes trying to get up the nerve to go in. I finally went in and looked around terrified the whole time. Two people really looked at me. One was a lady in the womens wear department - a customer who kind of scowled a bit but then ignored me. The second was a young lady at the checkout - employee. She looked and then looked away and smiled.
Problem was she was the only lane open, and there were two very full shopping carts in front of me. I finally did chicken out and left before buying what I had picked out.
By the time I got home I was shaking so much and feeling horrible. Did look bad? Did I scream I'm a man in a dress? Oh wow but it was sooo exciting

Dusty815
08-18-2012, 07:39 AM
Congratulations on getting out, I've not yet gone to a store but have been in the drive thru. I need to become more comfortable and confident in my look. I'm sure having other people see me will be the obstacle or hurdle that we have to get over, I think Halloween should be a good testing ground.

Beverley Sims
08-18-2012, 07:46 AM
It seems like you were caught like the deer in the headlights.
It takes a lot of courage to go out for the first time and alone as well.
Three AM in the morning in Walmart everyone would look at you because you are one of the few there.
Clocked? For sure, no one else to distract them.
If you are looking around furtively, you look suspicious, this attracts more attention.
I suggest you try a shopping mall at about Ten AM and more than likely go around unnoticed.
Good effort in my opinion. The next time will be easy.:)

RenneB
08-18-2012, 07:48 AM
These are the baby steps that each of us must go through. Every time you go out you build up a little more nerve and then ....it finally happens. The butterflies leave and are gone for good. The good side of this is that you get to go out and enjoy the world as how you really are... The bad side is that the time goes buy so much faster. In the early stages of 'gettin out' time seems to slow down and every step seems to take forever... I know, I've been there and have cross on to the other side....

Since the world didn't blow up and nothing else happened... I'd head on out again...

Renne.....

linda allen
08-18-2012, 08:07 AM
It seems like you were caught like the deer in the headlights.
It takes a lot of courage to go out for the first time and alone as well.
Three AM in the morning in Walmart everyone would look at you because you are one of the few there.
Clocked? For sure, no one else to distract them.
If you are looking around furtively, you look suspicious, this attracts more attention.
I suggest you try a shopping mall at about Ten AM and more than likely go around unnoticed.
Good effort in my opinion. The next time will be easy.:)

Yes, it's often easier to hide in a crowd. And in the daytime you can wear sunglasses and avoid eye contact. Not shopping of course, but everywhere else.

The first time out is the hardest. It gets easier after that.

Karen_Ski
08-18-2012, 08:17 AM
:hugs: As everyone else here has said the first time is the toughest and it does get easier from there. It has been a long time but I rmemeber my first time out in public and I was scared stiff but it gets easier trust us. Just go for it gurl and enjoy your life as you want and let the others be damned! :D

Claire Cook
08-18-2012, 08:25 AM
By the time I got home I was shaking so much and feeling horrible. Did look bad? Did I scream I'm a man in a dress? Oh wow but it was sooo exciting

So many of us can relate to that for our first time out! Congratulations, take a deep breath ... and it will be better the next time! [Yes, wasn't it exciting?] I'll bet we all remember that first time .. something that gets burned in our memory chips.

JenniferR771
08-18-2012, 08:29 AM
Sure. When the sidewalk, store or mall is busy--you are just one of the crowd. And Linda is right...you can wear sunglasses so you can conceal yourself just a bit...plus you can watch other people for their reactions without them seeing your eyes. Big sunglasses cover your eyes better. Expect men to take a look and check you out--but--remain calm. Aloof.

Angela Campbell
08-18-2012, 08:53 AM
Well looking back on it I was probably a little foolish to do it but I guess we all have to have a first time. I did feel very weird afterward for a while, almost felt like purging, but I feel better now. It will be a while before I do it again though, I really need to work on my presentation more I just did not feel confident enough in my walk and manerisms. I have time. One day I know I will be able to go anywhere with no problems...one day.

kimdl93
08-18-2012, 09:13 AM
Glad you got out. It really doesn't matter if you screamed male...you took the first step. Now, try something that doesn't require being out at 3 am. Go to the mall and get a makeover. You'll get some great tips, look your best and gain some confidence .

xdressed
08-18-2012, 09:16 AM
I also went out for the first time recently, although only walked around the streets and then came home. Once you start there's no going back, good for you ^_^

Jorja
08-18-2012, 09:25 AM
Going to Wal-Mart in the middle of the night is a scary thought for anyone let alone a first timer like yourself. Realx now and enjoy the experience. Hey, you went out for the first time! Yay! So where are you going next?

Stephenie S
08-18-2012, 09:37 AM
Going to Wal-Mart in the middle of the night is a scary thought for anyone let alone a first timer like yourself. Realx now and enjoy the experience. Hey, you went out for the first time! Yay! So where are you going next?

Yeah. Jorja's right. Next time try 10AM. The nice thing about WalMart at 10AM is that you can always find someone who looks more ridiculous than you.

Are you worried about looking like a guy in a dress? Easy. Don't wear a dress. Sweats (shorts or caprees in this weather) and some cute flats, a bit of makeup, a bit of jewelry, a nice hair style (should be easy with a wig) and you're good to go. After a while you will get comfy in that outfit and branch out. But don't wear a dress to WalMart unless you want people to look at you. It just ain't done. And don't go at 3AM for the same reason. People will look at you if you're the only one there.

S

Cynthia Anne
08-18-2012, 10:30 AM
That's the way it starts girl! It really does get easier each time you go out! Do it and have fun!

bridget thronton
08-18-2012, 10:41 AM
The next time will be easier (we all went through this). Smile at people (even if they give you dirty looks) use you smartphone to browse the Web if you are nervous standing in lines

May(be)
08-18-2012, 10:55 AM
You took a major step! Applause, applause.

Amy Fakley
08-18-2012, 11:10 AM
I cannot count how many times I've resolved to drive to the 24/7 walmart one town over in the wee hours ... spent an hour getting all pretty and ready, sat down in my car, in my garage, with my finger on the door opener remote, just sitting there ...

then chickening out, and going back inside without ever even opening the garage door.

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

so what if you didn't buy anything? Wal-mart has notoriously long lines. I've abandoned many purchases at the checkout lane in drab mode. In my book you didn't chicken out at all ... you went through with it, and maybe you were a little shaken (who wouldn't be), but YOU DID IT.

congratulations!

cdkrista420
08-18-2012, 01:01 PM
I also went out for the first time recently, although only walked around the streets and then came home. Once you start there's no going back, good for you ^_^

I did the same thing not too long ago. I got drunk on some red wine all dressed up one night and decided I wanted to go for a walk around the neighborhood. I live on the top floor of a 3 flat, so I was worried about running into my neighbors (but also kinda wanted to) and walked around in my little black dress and heels. It was so exhilarating, I sat out on my buildings patio and smoked a bit before I went back inside. Can't wait to try more!

Angela Campbell
08-18-2012, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the support, especially Mfakely as it is true I would have left the store without purchasing in drab too even if it was all male stuff I was buying when there is only one line and many full carts ahead and it is so obvious the checker is in no hurry at all. So yeah I am not a chicken. I did go there went inside shopped and was looked at by at least 20 different people. Most never gave me more of a look than if I was in drab. Only 2 seemed to make a reaction and both were young girls in the 20's. No men had any reaction at all. Still was both terrifying and exciting at the same time. Wow I went out in public!

Angela Campbell
08-18-2012, 03:32 PM
Well I found a crossdressing club nearby that uses a hotel meeting room and has a room to change in. I might go to a meeting and see how it goes. They tell me they also go shopping the next day sometimes. Maybe it will seem safer with a group of us special girls.

Rachel Morley
08-18-2012, 03:48 PM
Three AM in the morning in Walmart everyone would look at you because you are one of the few there. Clocked? For sure, no one else to distract them ..... I suggest you try a shopping mall at about Ten AM and more than likely go around unnoticed.
When I first started going out this is what my wife said too. She insisted that we go to the mall on a busy Saturday afternoon, Gulp! :worried: ... yet people were (seemingly?) so busy doing their own thing I didn't feel like anyone was looking at me any more than they would look at me if I were in boy mode. It's the weirdest thing! Also, btw, I wasn't wear a dress and heels on my first time out. I was wearing khaki capris, a black t-shirt, and black low wedge sandals with a black purse.

Tracii G
08-18-2012, 04:01 PM
Yay good for you the first step!!!
3:am not a good idea you found that out.If you were in line why oh why did you not go all the way?
If I had been there I would have made you go thru the line!!LOL Oh hell no girl we are going all the way no clucking allowed.
No self check outs? That would have solved your problems and you would have bought your stuff.
Any way 10:am is a good time just blend in the crowd in casual clothes and no one will be the wiser trust me.

Angela Campbell
08-18-2012, 04:27 PM
Tracii I am sure if you were there too I could have had more confidence.....but would I have had the patience?

Taliya
08-18-2012, 04:50 PM
Congratulations on your first step! I went out for the first time recently - 11 pm or so, drove around with the convertible top down, stopped at the subway station pick up/drop off, got out and checked my email, got back in and drove home - very exhilarating and nerve wracking. That time was the hardest. I have been out several times since, with each time getting easier. You could try putting gas your car at a not-so-busy station. I agree with Rachel M's mall trip attire - dressed to blend in - when I went to the gas station I was wearing a short skirt, heels and a scoop neck shirt and wondered why the guys were looking at me when I drove away!

BLUE ORCHID
08-19-2012, 09:40 PM
Hi AAL, That was the hard part now it will get easier the next time.

Barbara Ella
08-19-2012, 11:32 PM
It can't be repeated enough. You have taken the hard step, getting yourself to realize that you could go out. Doesn't matter what you did. You realized it was time and you were ready, and you did it. You are on your way. My first time was pumping gas in the afternoon in dress, and the pump overflowed the tank. It gets easier to go out, but no less exciting. So glad you were ready.

Barbara

linda allen
08-20-2012, 06:47 AM
I cannot count how many times I've resolved to drive to the 24/7 walmart one town over in the wee hours ... spent an hour getting all pretty and ready, sat down in my car, in my garage, with my finger on the door opener remote, just sitting there ...

then chickening out, and going back inside without ever even opening the garage door..............

One of the easiest first trip out, especially if you have the car in a garage and your neighbors can't see you walk out the door and get into it, is driving dressed.

To add to that, take a small paper or plastic bag with a little trash in it with you. Drive to a mall or park where there's a trash can, park the car, get out, and walk over and put the bag in the trash can, then walk back and get into the car (make sure you don't lock yourself out). Next, find a soda machine. Park the car, walk over to the machine, take the money out of your purse, and buy a soda (or water). Walk back and get into the car. Go to a gas station, take your credit card out of your purse, and pump gas into your car.

Drive downtown to the business or tourist district. Park the car, get out and walk down the sidewalk. Walk around the block. Hold your head high and smile at people.

It gets easier each time. :D

Amy R Lynn
08-20-2012, 07:23 AM
congratulations on the first time out! I have yet to take that step. It just seems like a big one to me. But you did it! That is great! Good job!