PDA

View Full Version : My confidence took a hit

Barbra P
08-18-2012, 11:05 AM
Early this year (January or February) I saw a photo of myself and realized that I don’t present as well as I thought I did. The photo really did a number on my confidence and I pretty much stopped going out enfemme, except in the yard.

My Therapist and I have had a number of discussions about why I was so impacted by the photo and I still can’t tell her why. Maybe vanity, I don’t know. In June she said she hoped that I would gain enough confidence to come to once again of our sessions enfemme. I thought about it in July but decided against going enfemme.

My August session was on the 9th, at 11:00 am and for a good two weeks prior I ponder going enfemme. It really wasn’t until the morning of the 9th that I made up my mind. Well maybe the evening of the 8th because I re-painted my toes – not a total commitment because I have pretty much worn polish full time on my toes for over a year, but the polish is easily hidden if circumstances call for it. Anyway, I decided for sure in the morning and shaved and started putting on my makeup. I had recently found a skort that I really like in this hot weather and decided on that, along with a nice print blouse (pinks and purples) that my Daughter gave me for Christmas. My age and a knee replacement pretty much rule out heels, and I didn’t think heels would be appropriate so I went with Turquoise colored sandals.

The Medical Center is always crowed with a number of people sitting around in the lobby, then there is the crowded Pharmacy and a Family Practice waiting room, both with glass walls. Well I didn’t have much trouble with the lobby, heart beat somewhat elevated as I walked to the elevators. Got off the elevator on the third floor (Psychiatric Dept), walked around the corner and there were two people in line waiting to check in; the man gave me a quick glance and I didn’t detect any change in facial expression – guess he didn’t find me particularly attractive or worthy of a longer look. Check-in was no problem, never is for the Psychiatric Dept but when I walked down the hall and turned the corner into waiting area 3, it was crowded, and I immediately thought “Oh bleep”. Well I still had few minutes till my appointment time and I’d had a cup of coffee before leaving the house and I didn’t think I could make it through a full hour session and my plans were to visit the restroom anyway. But getting to the restroom (gender-neutral) I had to walk through the narrow waiting area – more a hallway with chairs against the walls. I hoped that some of the people would get called and when I came out the area would be less populated – not the case. I selected one of two vacant seats and sat down, and upon glancing around it did appear that I was attracting any untoward attention. I only had a few minutes to wait before Kelly open the door looked around and announced “Barbra, you can come in now.”

It was a pleasant hour, and it bolstered my confidence quite a bit. Leaving I had no apprehension at all stepping out of the elevator and walking through the lobby. Walking through the parking the people I passed merely smiled, friendly smiles, no frowns, no looks of puzzlement.

Waiting now for next week, my Daughter (she and her two children live with us) starts the fall semester at SDSU and that means the grandkids will be at daycare – this last week they were home. The grandkids (6 and 7) don’t have a problem with Barbra and probably like Barbra better than my male self – Barbra is easier going and doesn’t discipline as much. The heat and humidity has been oppressive this past week and unfortunately next week looks like pretty much of the same but then I don't plan on doing anything too strenuous just take it easy and enjoy being Barbra.

vikki2020
08-18-2012, 11:10 AM
I get a lot of compliments on my pics, but, there are the ones that no one see's--they go right to "delete",lol! Don't let a bad pic make you sad-just keep clicking untill you get a good one. Try this-- if you can freeze your tv screen, randomly freeze it, when an absolutely stunning woman is on. Check out some of the "poses",lol! They don't look so stunning! It happens.

2B Natasha
08-18-2012, 11:18 AM
Hi Barbera

Glad you got your grove back. I was intrigued by what you wrote due to the fact I was having a bit of Deja Vu when reading it. It sounded so familiar to me. o I went back to your profile and found this post of yours from last year.

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?163924-Travails-of-my-trip-to-Therapist-en-femme&highlight=

What I found intriguing about this is that you had the same issues almost one year ago and the same experience going to she your therapist.

Have you mentioned this to Her? Is there a pattern of experiences?

But I am glad for you. I realize confidence ebbs and flows in all of us. I hope the flows are longer then the ebbs.

Cheers

Rachel Morley
08-18-2012, 11:46 AM
Hi Barbara,

I don't know if you are TS or CD but I can totally understand why seeing a photo of oneself might make a person realize that they don’t present as well as they think they do.

We all have an image, a feeling, a belief of how we want to be seen when we are presenting as female. I'm not saying we all want to look like a hot 21 year old girl, but I think most of us would like to think that when we are dressed, we look and feel like the person we would have been (and should have been for some of us) had we have been born female. So when we see this unflattering pic it kind of "bursts the bubble" a little bit and we realize that it's not as easy as we think, or maybe we realize that all those many years of a male life and the challenges of a male physical body don't always translate into the beautiful feminine presence that we think we are or long to be.

Don't be disheartened, it's ok, "Rome wasn't built in a day". You'll get there. Your story of your experience at your therapists office shows how you can change your confidence levels yourself, don't let this "minor bump in the road" stop you from achieving your goals. From a practical standpoint, what was it about the pic that made you feel sad? Was it something practical that you can work on? ... you know, like feminine deportment, or make up skills, or perhaps loosing weight?

Anyway, good luck and "keep your chin up" :)

Beverley Sims
08-18-2012, 11:55 AM
I think familiarity breeds contempt.
I know when looking at pictures of myself I see a man.
Others see a woman, so try and not be too critical of photographs.
Do try and chip off the rough spots .

reb.femme
08-18-2012, 12:35 PM
I get a lot of compliments on my pics, but, there are the ones that no one see's--they go right to "delete",lol! Don't let a bad pic make you sad-just keep clicking untill you get a good one. Try this-- if you can freeze your tv screen, randomly freeze it, when an absolutely stunning woman is on. Check out some of the "poses",lol! They don't look so stunning! It happens.

Absolutely, even the mega stars are human in freeze frame. Both fortunately and unfortunately if you like, genetics make us what we are and as such, several thousand years of mother nature's work ensures we shine through at the most inopportune moments. As Vikki said, the Delete / Trash key is a fantastic device. In fact, I may have to have mine replaced due to over use :)

My personal opinion is that you showed a level of confidence and courage at your therapist session beyond which your preamble led me to expect. Kudos to you.
Oh, and I love having my toes painted every day of the week too :battingeyelashes:

Rebecca x

Badtranny
08-18-2012, 02:37 PM
Early this year (January or February) I saw a photo of myself and realized that I don’t present as well as I thought I did. The photo really did a number on my confidence .

It happens. I post about similar issues frequently in the TS forum because I want people to know that it's an ongoing struggle and it takes years to overcome our masculine liabilities. I don't know what you've done so far, but I've had a LOT of work done and lost a LOT of weight and grown a LOT of hair over the last couple of years and I still see pics that scream MAN! to me sometimes. Still.

What seems to help me is taking a broader view of my progress. Also, study the offending pic and redouble your efforts on the most obviously masculine marker.

Taliya
08-18-2012, 05:42 PM
What seems to help me is taking a broader view of my progress. Also, study the offending pic and redouble your efforts on the most obviously masculine marker.

That is a great tip! I generally delete away the "masculine" photos as a bad photo - I should be more observant in the future!

Jennifer Cox
08-18-2012, 06:07 PM
I've never kidded myself that I was passable. However, for a time I was happy going out with some other girls. Always hated any pic's though. Then circumstances changed meaning that I couldn't go out any more, although I'm hoping that will change again in the near future. But here's the rub - I've now lost all confidence in going out, and looking back at my previous photos only makes it worse. WTF was I ever thinking!

It's so easy to begin doubting yourself, my only suggestion is to not look back but to look forward. New experiences will build confidence again - or at least I hope so!

Sara Jessica
09-12-2012, 07:20 AM
Barbra, you present as a lovely woman. We all take a bad picture here and there, don't let that stop you from being yourself.

Chickhe
09-12-2012, 03:11 PM
Just remember, photographs can make you look good or bad. Its all about lighting. If you really want to look at your bad photo, then wait a few days, weeks and re-evaluate it... probably you will feel better about the photo on some days than others and just change what you can, and if its something you can't change forget about it. If you don't believe that cameras can lie, just hold a flashlight under your chin before you take the photo...

CandyDarling
09-12-2012, 04:48 PM
This reminds me of another thread - I think its an illusion - all this about passing - presenting. Don't get me wrong - I am a total camera **** - love the pics its the most fun - I have an active flickr site and I use istagram now too - "@candydarlingtg " - I have given up on any hope of always looking good - I know I'll never Pass - the best I can hope for is a good shot in evey 20 and a great shot in every 200. My goal is to be the prettiest and best "Tranny" I can be. I'm 6'1 and I favor 4 inch heels - have a swimmer's build and - thank god - pretty blue eyes !!! Its the company of gurls like you that keep me commin around.
xxxx