PDA

View Full Version : Who Do You Dress For?

Meghan
08-21-2012, 11:43 PM
My wife and I were watching Project Runway a couple of weeks ago, and we came across this wonderful quote from Betsey Johnson:

"Girls do not dress for boys. They dress for themselves, and of course, each other. If girls dressed for boys, they'd just walk around naked all the time."

We talked about this quite a bit, and the best conclusion we could come to is that Meghan (me) was just like any other girl...we dress for each other and ourselves.

There seems to be this prevailing thing that dressing for ourselves is wrong. I am not sure I buy that.

And hell, the avatar section is a virtual beauty contest, with everyone doing their best to impress each other.

Every night for the last week or so I has been playing with different outfits and looks trying to impress her. And she challenges me every time to look better.

Isn't that the way it's supposed to work regardless of whether or not your plumbing is on the inside or outside?

Meghan

Missy
08-21-2012, 11:56 PM
I dress for me or for the comfort. I do things for my wife she seams to be happy with what ever I wear as long as I am comfortable
she tells me that she loves me for me not what I wear
I have notice that she touches me or hugs me more when I am wearing something fem

Camille15
08-21-2012, 11:59 PM
I didn't used to understand this until I got more into dressing. But now I understand why a woman would dress for herself. To feel pretty, cute, feminine, or whatever else she wants to feel about herself. I know I'm stereotyping, as there are plenty of women who dress in men's clothes half the time. But for those who do dress more feminine, I see now that it's not for men that they dress. At least for me, it makes me feel pretty, and that's all about how I feel about myself, and now how others feel about me. Of course, I'm a CD, and not a woman, so I know it's different.

stacycoral
08-22-2012, 12:11 AM
I dress for me or for the comfort. I do things for my wife she seams to be happy with what ever I wear as long as I am comfortable
she tells me that she loves me for me not what I wear
I have notice that she touches me or hugs me more when I am wearing something fem

I would have to agree with Missy, maybe not the last line, but it is great that a SO is ok with it, and yes i dress for me first. I love female clothes, I just want to feel comfortable Hugs

May(be)
08-22-2012, 12:15 AM
Success. She's this lady I know from work.

Diana Bain
08-22-2012, 12:27 AM
I've always heard that women dress to impress other women. I dress hopefully to blend in...feel comfortable and survive my complex existence.

Rachel Flowers
08-22-2012, 01:18 AM
I've always thought women look better with nice clothes on than naked. Just more proof I'm not a boy, I suppose!

KellyJameson
08-22-2012, 01:23 AM
It is impossible to dress for anyone else but yourself, the difference is how you want the dressing to serve you.

Within every altruistic act is an element of self interest, only what is valued changes.

Beauty takes by giving.

There is another place beyond others and for me this is the best place. You travel into yourself to find that which has been neglected, injured and lost.

Some call it the heart others innocence but it is that which is necessary to life if you are going to go beyond life, it is that part of you that is immortal if you do not allow it to be destroyed by those who have given away their immortality from fear of losing it.

Beverley Sims
08-22-2012, 01:28 AM
A bit like Kelley on this point.
I dress for myself.
First of all to look good and have pride in my appearance and to look acceptable tp others as a woman.
Really nothing more.

ReineD
08-22-2012, 01:43 AM
"Girls do not dress for boys. They dress for themselves, and of course, each other. If girls dressed for boys, they'd just walk around naked all the time."

I disagree with this simply because the statement is too broad.

I consider myself fairly typical and there are some times when I do dress for men (my SO specifically), and when I was single, the sexy clothes that I wore at various times were most definitely not intended to impress women. lol

At other times I dress for myself, and this is when I wear a comfy hoodie and jeans. Still at other times I dress out of social convention, for example if I'm applying for a job I'll be sure to wear something that looks professional and well groomed. And sometimes if I feel blue, I will dress nicely for myself and not over the top sexy just to go out and have a nice dinner as a pick me up.

I honestly cannot recall ever dressing for other women though. If I go out with girlfriends my manner of dress is chosen to be appropriate for the venue, and it is something I would wear there even if I were on my own or with my SO. If it's a nightclub the look will be different than if it's a nice restaurant, and different still if it's the pizza parlor. If I'm going to a female friend's house to watch a movie, then I'll dress comfortably in my bang-around clothes. But then, I'm not big on keeping up with the Joneses, nor do I care about establishing my pecking order among women. I see them as friends, not the competition. :D

I just read one of the above comments and I have to say, the only time I want to feel pretty, and particularly feminine (more feminine than my standard, unadorned self), is for men. My friends and acquaintances don't really care how feminine I am.

JohannaSophia
08-22-2012, 02:21 AM
I've always thought women look better with nice clothes on than naked. Just more proof I'm not a boy, I suppose!

Some women are a work of art and the less in the way the less apt the picture to be spoiled. That is also true of some guys including some crossdressed ones, thinking of Carmen Carrera as an example.

I dress for myself whether as a girl or boy but I do solicit my wife's advice. And she asks mine, I have to say I prefer her naked when that is socially acceptable.

noeleena
08-22-2012, 03:35 AM
Hi,

Heres a detail often missed ,

Why does a woman dress is it only to impress or intice another or just to be her self & feel good about her self as a...WOMAN...

Well think on this,

After a hard day with kids who are just being kids you now right little rat bags kids talk all day you are tired had enough allmost at breaking point & just need time out.

Maybe a hard day at working at others beck & call, & at the end of that go home have to cook tea & hit the couch .

so is it any wonder women just ....NEED.... a break spend a little time dressing up going out time with others just to get away from the day to day life in other words something different & be waited on by some ....ONE.... else .

Not saying who in some friendships or marrages . you know what i mean.

I could say more though i think you get what i mean.

Why do i dress to be with others to be a part of one of many groups im in we dress differently its fun nice to be seen have our pic's taken , ooops im the camara woman.....& dont have any issues being us really being normal ,

& if you like our hobby is dressing up & we are women The clothes are not just your day to day wear ether.

Though most of us are just normal women in our day to day wear. so we do have our dress up days,

...noeleena...

Jenniferpl
08-22-2012, 04:56 AM
Dress for myself. When the need to feel sexy hits, wearing a sexy bra does the trick.

Cheryl T
08-22-2012, 05:05 AM
I dress for me primarily, but I must say that when I go out I'm conscious of what other women will think of my outfit. I certainly don't dress to please men.

Cynthia Anne
08-22-2012, 05:22 AM
If I didn't dress for myself than I wouldn't dress at all!

kristinacd55
08-22-2012, 06:14 AM
I do exactly what Betsey said, first for myself, then my other t'girlfriends who I hang with. If other's notice, that's just icing on the cake :)

Which reminds me of a pub crawl we were on in an unamed city a couple weeks back....one of the girls with us had on the most uncomfortable shoes that while we were walking to the first club suddenly there's this BOOM and she falls on the sidewalk. We all help her up and get going again.....then BOOM she falls again!
She was then required to walk barefoot the rest of the time we were on the streets! She DID survive the night intact lol....geez the point being that she dressed for herself BUT should've dressed for comfort and ease of motion

Roberta Young
08-22-2012, 07:45 AM
Meghan, I dress for the reflection in the mirror. Luv Roberta

Karren H
08-22-2012, 07:53 AM
I dress for me or for the comfort.

Since when did comfort ever come into the equation? bras and girdles and corsets and heels.... if I wanted comfort I'd be wearing womens jeans! lol

I dress because I HAVE to.... not necessarily because I want to...

Julia Stevens
08-22-2012, 08:07 AM
I dress for myself, choosing outfits that I think look good on me.

kimdl93
08-22-2012, 08:39 AM
To follow Reine's point of view, I think we with supportive SOs do try to dress for them. I certainly look to my wife for inspiration but also I want to look nice for her. As for other women, I really just want to be dressed in a manner that doesn't scream out as over the top.

Marleena
08-22-2012, 08:42 AM
When I dress I dress for me. My goal is to blend as a woman. If I am somewhat successful it helps build my confidence. I want to fit in as a woman and I work hard at it. I want my wife to feel comfortable with my look too, although she is still nervous I'll get read. I'm sure she has an escape plan ready for herself just in case! :D Others may dress to attract men and that is okay too as we all have goals to achieve.:)

JenniferR771
08-22-2012, 09:25 AM
As a crossdresser I dress for the image in the mirror. Feminine , attractive and a bit titillating.
If I am going out, I dress to look good. It is just like when I used to wax my hot car every week. Favorable attention, and a bit of jealousy from the onlookers.

Sandra
08-22-2012, 09:31 AM
As a GG why would I want to dress for other women...I dress for myself.

BRANDYJ
08-22-2012, 09:44 AM
I dress for me mostly. However, when I am with my SO and she wants me to dress feminine, I dress for her. I want her pleased with what she sees. Mostly that is my grey working maid or housekeeper dress since she likes me doing chores and serving her while wearing it. I would never dress in a manor that she is not pleased with.

~Joanne~
08-22-2012, 09:48 AM
Very nice thread Meghan :) I dress for Myself as I am the only one who knows but even then, if someone else knew, it wouldn't change who I dress for.

BLUE ORCHID
08-22-2012, 10:00 AM
Hi Meghan, I only dress to impress my self.

bridget thronton
08-22-2012, 10:55 AM
I dress in clothes that allow me to feel good about myself

Amy Fakley
08-22-2012, 11:28 AM
I find it sort of amusing that several GG's have commented here that they dress for themselves or to impress men, but never for other women.
As the father of two teenaged daughters, I find this very hard to believe ... but then I guess it might be an age thing.

For instance, Sunday last was the night before the first day of school.
It was getting to be around bed time and I went looking to round up the kids. I found them both in their rooms ... running facetime on their iPods ... with their friends ... modeling outfits to each other.

If that's not dressing to impress other girls, I dunno what is, LOL

of course I walked away thinking ... "damn ... when'd this turn into the Jetsons?" LOL.

As a CDer of course ... I only dress for the girl in the mirror :-)

Elle1946
08-22-2012, 03:46 PM
I dress for myself, my wife is indifferent to what I have on. She will compliment me if I have on something she likes, just glad that we are not the same size.

Doctor Seven
08-22-2012, 04:27 PM
I dress for myself, as only one person can fit in my closet.

Jilmac
08-22-2012, 05:10 PM
I have to agree with you Meghan, I always dress for myself. When I'm out and about, and get compliments from GGs (friends and strangers), I feel as if I could be dressing for them as well. But the only three people I want to impress are me, myself, and I.

bobbimo
08-23-2012, 05:41 AM
ME ME ME!
I dress to make the reflection in the mirror be as beautiful as she can be.
However I also dress for my wife because she is the one that notices that 'that skirt doesn't match that top'
And some day when it all comes together right I hope we can out into the wide world together!

savannaxdrsser
08-23-2012, 11:50 AM
I have to agree with everyone else, I do dress for myself and that reflection in the mirror.

Sarah Doepner
08-23-2012, 12:19 PM
I dress for myself if I'm staying home. I dress for the situation if I'm leaving the house. That means I wear a lot more dresses and fashion forward things at home than I do if I'm out in a public setting. I know that I don't want to attract any more attention than necessary out 'there', so I'm much more conserative and I guess while I'm dressing for me, I'm picking my style for 'them'.

ElleduSud
08-23-2012, 05:34 PM
Success. She's this lady I know from work.

Absolutely! And that lady is seen in a lot more places than just work.

Sarasometimes
08-23-2012, 05:46 PM
Since I have no interest in men I dress for the approval of women and myself.

noonlight86
08-25-2012, 01:27 PM
It makes me feel pretty lol. Not much else to include because I mostly just enjoy the female appearance, and I wish I could naturally look like a girl.