PDA

View Full Version : We are not depressive! (very long)

LeaP
08-23-2012, 01:04 PM
There was a comment in a recent thread that has stuck in my mind for some time. It was that you could distinguish CD from TS threads from how depressive they (the latter) are! It also ties into other comments that I've read over the last year or so, including that the TS members are mean, ferocious, harsh, sarcastic, intolerant, short-tempered, unwelcoming, and political. Even that we bite!

What I would like to put out for discussion is the view from the other side of the fence - not by way of debating whether we are truly the way we are sometimes perceived - but simply to explain why the view across the divide is SO different.

First, I wish to acknowledge that a significant amount of "TS content" is serious. Fun and games, not so much. Whether that is negative, however, depends. More below.

Specifically, on the point of "depressive", I'll acknowledge that we have a lot of posts on depression! That is, honest to God clinical depression, antidepressants, treatment, etc. Unfortunately, this also segues into discussions of suicide on occasion. This entire set of topics truly is somewhat depressive, at least from one point of view, but the other side of that is that for those who need the support of the forum members who are involved in the same issues (gender, that is, not depression per se), these discussions actually come across as very constructive and relieving.

Are TS numbers welcoming? Depends. As a general statement, I would say that the BS detectors are on high. They don't fit everyone, but there are very well-known patterns of life experience and issues that ring true, right down the way they are expressed. When someone posts something that is suspicious, or that seems more fantasy-like, or even if it's somebody who's brand new to the forum and goes right to the TS section, it often does raise suspicion. On the other hand, when things ring resoundingly true, people tend to get a warm welcome. Both patterns can be seen all of the time in the TS forum. Before my first post in the TS section, I was warned in PMs that the TS members would tear my head off. FWIW, the response was quite gentle.

Why should we care either way? Because the tendency among the TS members is to invest significant time in real-world support. People get involved with each other, in depth. There is a web of connections where people know each other in the real world, with contacts outside of the site, visits, even help in postsurgical situations. Wasting people's time in this section is not suffered gladly as a result, and posers are not tolerated at all. The genuine are welcomed and they are helped.

It is important to understand that how TS members react is due to the fact that the impact to your life from being transsexual is unavoidable and real time. This is often misunderstood by CD members because CD members sometimes also have impacts in their life and their relationships. The key difference, however, is that a TS is affected in every area of their life, all of the time, at least in transition and often after: in relationships, at home, at work, with extended family, with legal transactions, with documents, with medical care providers, schools, officials, police, and, of course, in ordinary social dealings ranging from friends to things as simple as passing someone on the street. Finally, they are subject to a special type of discrimination and harassment. And it can't be escaped when it is what you are.

Is the above depressive (from a forum perspective)? Nope, again, not if you need the support. THIS (the forum) is where it doesn't hurt! There's a reason people like tragedies and why people like to help one another - it makes them feel better. Not only is there a lot of help here, for some it's hard to find anywhere else. So what looks depressive to one person can feel like a safe haven to another. And indeed the private TS section is called Safe Haven!

How about mean, short tempered, and biting? Is it our meds? LOL! (OK, sometimes) The simplest perspective I can offer on this perception is "no BS." Ask a straight question, get a straight answer. Ask a complicated question, expect to be educated. Say something glib and expect to get called on it. Your thinking will be challenged, as will your assumptions, and even your self understanding. In normal conversation, people associate such exchanges with aggression. The perspective here, however, is that the stakes are success versus failure, and even life versus death. To one embroiled in a battle with these stakes, the conversation is not usually perceived as blunt or mean. Rather, it's welcomed, as it's very hard not to get an answer elsewhere that is knowledgeable or doesn't pander.

Cliquey? Short fused? Not really. It's no different than other area of the forum, or life for that matter. There are pretty strenuous debates here. No one has a problem with that. And there are fights here once in a while, as well as a few people who like to stir the pot. Again, I don't see any difference here versus other areas of the site. As for cliquishness, the insularity of the TS members can put other members off sometimes. I can assure you that that has more to do with needing to focus on discussions of particular TS concern rather than being unfriendly, however. There are any number of warm, compassionate TS members here.

In summary, the TS members deal with a high percentage of serious topics all of the time. It's about as depressive, however, as a hug from your best friend. Beyond that, there is humor, celebrations and victories, congratulations, and high points, as with anyone. Because of the critical mass of TS members - from questioning to in-transition to settled and long time post-op, the impression that one gets from the side of the fence is that of community. Not only do I not find it depressive, I find a place where depressiveness is lifted.

Amy Fakley
08-23-2012, 01:19 PM
I feel bad for making that comment now.
I didn't mean it like that. I meant it like ... here's two threads:

1) a discussion of lipstick shades
2) my whole life has fallen apart and I don't know how to cope with this

which one is a probably a CD thread?

I meant it as an illustration of how deep things get for TS people. It was meant as respect for what you all who are TS and transition go through.
It certainly wasn't meant as a slight.

I've learned more, and gained much deeper insights from reading the TS forums here than I have from reading nearly any other (with the possible exception of the FtM section, I find that mirror image perspective fascinating).

For what it's worth, I'd like to say thanks to all of you who post here, even though it's not a "private" forum. In a lot of ways I'm just starting out, I have no idea what the hell I am, or where I fall into these thousand different flavors of whatever this is ... but I've learned a lot just reading what you all post here.

Peace, Love, Respect :-)

kimdl93
08-23-2012, 01:20 PM
What a great post. As a middle pather...ok, leaning a bit towards the TS end of the spectrum, I will admit that I held a number of these prejudices. to be fair to the TS members, Most of my experiences with TS members has helped refute those prejudices. And I could certainly appreciate how growing up and living adult lives TS would shape and in some ways harden ones perspectives. While both CD face challenges in life, its clear that the challenges are so much, perhaps exponentially greater for a TS person. Of course that will affect the way people see and interact with the world.

Depression seems to be present among many of our members...I suffered with it for several years. Its hardly unique to TS. And I have witnessed the genuine empathy, encouragement, and celebration of real progress, as well as the small and large triumphs by the TS community.

elizabethamy
08-23-2012, 01:39 PM
When I first came to the site -- trying to figure out what was going on with me -- I was amazed and, I admit, a little appalled about how 80% of the activity seems to revolve around beauty tips, outfit photos, shopping excursions, and such. This is a club I have yet to join. But I quickly realized that while no one has it easy as a CD/TG/TS whatever, the "party" CD's as I think of them have taught me that there is a delightful, fun side to this condition that we TG/TS types overlook in our suffering over the prospect (or consequences) of blowing up our entire lives rather than just dressing a little on the side.

So there is of course a lot more angst and such on the TS forums, but I agree with Lea -- there's a lot of honesty, too. And while I don't believe the old joke that the difference between a CD and a TS is "about two years" (it might be even less! LOL), there is a decent number of CD's who discover the need to migrate further along the spectrum, forum-wise.

What constantly amazes me is the dedication of many TS's who have already transitioned, sometimes years ago...they remain here even though they don't need to do so, and they're here to help. Their wisdom and insight, usually gained from mountains of hard-lived experience, is priceless. So the idea that we should chase them off (as we have recently with some stalwart members who have been a huge and potent influence and help to me) with our bickering saddens me. Some of their toughness (thinking of honest folks like Julia, Kaitlyn Michele, Melissa) is simply truth-telling that comes from a reality they have lived. Those of us who ask for advice have to be able to hear it, hard as that can be. (And I am not able to listen as fast as I should, especially to the advice that costs the most!) In the end, of course, each of us has to find his/her own path.

When we fight among ourselves, we lose sight of the fact that we all suffer (or are gifted with) some degree of the same condition. Some forums are for some people, others for other people. But we should all be here on this big site together.

peace,

elizabethamy

Rianna Humble
08-23-2012, 02:23 PM
There was a comment in a recent thread that has stuck in my mind for some time. It was that you could distinguish CD from TS threads from how depressive they (the latter) are! It also ties into other comments that I've read over the last year or so, including that the TS members are mean, ferocious, harsh, sarcastic, intolerant, short-tempered, unwelcoming, and political. Even that we bite!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I only bite if I know you well, like you a lot and you ask very nicely :heehee:

Am I political? Guilty as charged - it is who I am. My old self was also deeply political. OTOH, there is not one aspect of modern life that is not impacted in some ways by politics. When people say "they ought to ..." or "why don't they ...?" those are political statements. The difference is that those of us who are avowedly political try to act upon those thoughts even if we get it wrong.

First, I wish to acknowledge that a significant amount of "TS content" is serious. Fun and games, not so much. Whether that is negative, however, depends. More below.

Specifically, on the point of "depressive", I'll acknowledge that we have a lot of posts on depression! That is, honest to God clinical depression, antidepressants, treatment, etc. Unfortunately, this also segues into discussions of suicide on occasion. This entire set of topics truly is somewhat depressive, at least from one point of view, but the other side of that is that for those who need the support of the forum members who are involved in the same issues (gender, that is, not depression per se), these discussions actually come across as very constructive and relieving.

:iagree:

The genuine are welcomed and they are helped.

Many of us will give the benefit of the doubt until we see proof of BS or posing.

It is important to understand that how TS members react is due to the fact that the impact to your life from being transsexual is unavoidable and real time. This is often misunderstood by CD members because CD members sometimes also have impacts in their life and their relationships. The key difference, however, is that a TS is affected in every area of their life, all of the time, at least in transition and often after: in relationships, at home, at work, with extended family, with legal transactions, with documents, with medical care providers, schools, officials, police, and, of course, in ordinary social dealings ranging from friends to things as simple as passing someone on the street. Finally, they are subject to a special type of discrimination and harassment. And it can't be escaped when it is what you are.

I agree to a very large degree, but I do get saddened when the occasional uber-TS puts down anyone whose personal experience does not match their particular view of what makes up transness. Fortunately, they are often called on it.

How about mean, short tempered, and biting? Is it our meds? LOL! (OK, sometimes) The simplest perspective I can offer on this perception is "no BS." Ask a straight question, get a straight answer. Ask a complicated question, expect to be educated. Say something glib and expect to get called on it. Your thinking will be challenged, as will your assumptions, and even your self understanding. In normal conversation, people associate such exchanges with aggression.

This type of behaviour is normally only associated with aggression when someone can't tell the difference between aggression and assertiveness. The discussions in this section can be very forthright but they come from the heart and even the challenges are meant to help and support.

The perspective here, however, is that the stakes are success versus failure, and even life versus death. To one embroiled in a battle with these stakes, the conversation is not usually perceived as blunt or mean. Rather, it's welcomed, as it's very hard to get an answer elsewhere that is knowledgeable or doesn't pander.

There are far too many resources around that are more disinformation, myth and misunderstanding. This Safe Haven is a welcome respite from that0

the TS members deal with a high percentage of serious topics all of the time. It's about as depressive, however, as a hug from your best friend. Beyond that, there is humor, celebrations and victories, congratulations, and high points, as with anyone. Because of the critical mass of TS members - from questioning to in-transition to settled and long time post-op, the impression that one gets from the side of the fence is that of community. Not only do I not find it depressive, I find a place where depressiveness is lifted.

Well said! :yrtw:

Nicole Erin
08-23-2012, 09:48 PM
Well for Cd it is mostly about fun. For Ts it tends to be a bit more serious.

I still think it is funny when people start threads to announce they switched to wearing panties full time.

Thing is with a lot of TS - they tend to make it their whole lives. I live as a woman and I have not had a lot of abnormal problems. Same ol problems as ever. My TS'ness is usually the last thing I think about in day to day life. I mean I do think of it but it doesn't rule me.

Rachel Smith
08-23-2012, 10:13 PM
First great post Lea.

For myself I only have one word for everyone here THANKS. I come here sometimes to post and sometimes to just read but one things for sure the wealth of information I have received could have been found no where else. Believe me I looked. I was hesitant to post at first but when I did people came out in droves only to help. Sometimes it seemed crass and hardened but it was always forthright and honest. So to all here I just want to say thank you for spending your valuable time to help guide the newbies along their path even if it is slightly different then yours.

Love
Rachel

ReineD
08-23-2012, 11:01 PM
Wonderful post, Lea. I couldn't agree more. :hugs: