PDA

View Full Version : Is crossdressing some kind of “shortcoming?”

Frédérique
08-24-2012, 08:41 AM
“Have you got it together? If so, how often?” (Neil Tennant)

Whilst reading Persephone’s recent thread, I was struck by the word “shortcoming.” It was implied (not by Persephone, but by the laws of society) that being a transgendered individual is some kind of shortcoming. Since I’m a MtF crossdresser, associated with the “T” in GLBT (or LGBT, if you prefer) for convenience, I’m left to consider whether or not my crossdressing represents human shortcoming. Have I come up short in the panoply of life? Hmmm...

“Says who?” would be my first (and only) reply. It’s all about expectations, my friends, and those who either do not accept their predetermined gender roles, or play with the whole idea of gender for pleasure, come up short in the eyes of society. Who is society? Why, it’s the people next door, the people across the street, and the people who surround you, following in the footsteps of those who have gone before, never considering deviation as something WORTHY of consideration. Nope, you’re supposed to do certain things, act a certain way, and fulfill your requirements according to the precepts of conformity. In short (pardon the pun), you are not supposed to go beyond the boundaries that have been put in place for everyone else’s benefit. But, if you come up short with your “self,” how can THAT not be considered to be a shortcoming? I don’t get it...

It’s the same old story – I, the MtF crossdresser, am considered to be deficient, according to someone else’s standards, put forth from a foundation of gender correctness. Did I miss a meeting? I’m a male that wears women’s clothing, and I’m (apparently) not supposed to do that, but why is this a shortcoming, and not just a cute eccentricity, or a form of expression? Am I neglecting my “duty” by not being 100% masculine? Am I deviating from propriety TOO far, thus causing every normal person undue consternation? Is it my FAULT that I prefer to engage in the profession of being, and not do what everyone else is doing, i.e. filling up my time with what others feel amounts (or leads) to happiness? It seems to me that deviation from the norm is a valid, necessary human characteristic, and, since there are plenty of people (males) on Earth who will keep within bounds no matter what, why can’t we deviants be allowed to...ahem...deviate?

The implication is that we crossdressers, and all transgendered individuals, are defective, so we are beneath contempt or not worthy of lofty human compassion, but if you conform you will be rewarded. As far as I’m concerned, you have to expect variation in any system or populace, and we are living proof of that. Some of us like to dance to a different beat, or challenge societal mores, or experiment with our lives, perhaps as a form of questioning that is ongoing, if not essential. Why is this seen as a shortcoming, and not championed as a GOOD thing? Is it because I’m not equal to the “purpose,” namely the purpose that has been decided upon for the good of all concerned? From my point of view, I’m helping by exercising my rights and expanding my own parameters. In other words I’ve gone beyond my own human (and societal) shortcomings, turned away from expectation, and “crossed” the line, questioning EVERYTHING along the way...

And yet, to people who fail to understand these things, I am beset with shortcomings. Something essential is missing in me, and I cannot be taken seriously – I cannot affect the object I am supposed to affect, my resources are inadequate, and I am unsuitable on all levels. We poor MtF crossdressers are not even worth mentioning in the realm of alternative behavior, such is the contempt for males who do something completely un-manly. It is implied that my penchant for crossdressing is inadequate, but, by definition, adequate means “barely satisfactory.” I would much rather be extraordinary, and not “see” my crossdressing as some kind of epic FAIL – it does not mar my appearance or character, rather it allows my true character to emerge. Not to engage in such an activity would definitely equate with shortcoming, but try to tell that to a “normal” person who either cannot, or will not, understand such profound, natural things...

I suppose I am an incomplete person, just like everyone else, but “complete” is a term open to conjecture, defined by what you believe or what you aspire to be. Crossdressing makes me feel complete, and, if I wasn’t able to dress and let my precious ”self” emerge, I would feel like I was living a woefully inadequate life, barely satisfactory but bereft of pleasure and happiness. I am in no way defective; in fact I have gone BEYOND expectation, to a world where the possibilities never seem to end. In my mind, MtF crossdressing continues to fulfill my needs, expectations, and requirements, and I am satisfied, but to others (the outsiders), I am a living, breathing, human shortcoming. I am impossible to understand, for everyone has already said NO to what I do, in fact the world wishes I didn’t exist. I can’t stop; indeed “stopping” is out of the question for people like me. I answered the “call” to be truly different, even though it meant turning away from a life that was predictable, adequate, barely satisfactory, and...yes...uninteresting. Rather than come up short, I have flown beyond the boundaries that were meant to constrain me. Each day I try to be all I can BE – how can this possibly be a shortcoming?

It seems to me that staying within bounds, as outlined by traditional societal concepts of gender, definitely deserves to be labeled a “shortcoming,” but do you think MtF crossdressing, which is not a disease, not a crime, and not a genuine problem*, qualifies as some kind of "shortcoming?"
:thinking:

*You may disagree with that assessment, but keep in mind that the author is a happy crossdresser... :battingeyelashes:

bridget thronton
08-24-2012, 09:00 AM
I prefer the term gender enhanced to described all trans folk - so not deficient at all

kimdl93
08-24-2012, 09:07 AM
A good friend once advised me that "other peoples' opinions of me were none of my business" In fact, if someone thinks less of me, sees transgenderism as a shortcoming, so be it. As long as they don't feel the right to demand that I conform to their views , I don't care what their views may be.

I do like the notion that I'm gender enhanced. Its all marketing, isn't it!

Beverley Sims
08-24-2012, 09:16 AM
Cross dressing is a kind of coming but don't sell it short.

franlee
08-24-2012, 01:27 PM
Quit the opposite! It's what you make of it. The only shortcoming I've run into is the money to endulge myself with the wardrobe I want. I can't even see it in the prespective as a short coming because it is an extra that anybody can add to their life if they want to. Now how much fun and contentment each person get from it is a personal thing and only they can judge that.

ReluctantDebutant
08-24-2012, 02:24 PM
Categorically no cross-dressing is not a shortcoming. But just like having a sack for gold is a boon to you financially on land but is a hindering anchor to you in the ocean, it is all situational.

There is this anecdote I heard a while back about a cross-dresser. It's a typical story middle-age man divorced, takes a cross-dressing and finds happiness in it. His daughter loves her daddy has been supportive but is about to get married. She wants her father at her wedding to walk her down the aisle as her father dressed in the proper tuxs. Just a few hours out of one day for him to once again my male clothing. This father refused, cherishing his newfound wardrobe over making his daughter happy on her wedding day.

To me it is moments like this when cross-dressing can become a shortcoming in one's character.

GaleWarning
08-24-2012, 03:22 PM
This is a gem of a post, Freddy! We are people, just like our neightbours. You have expressed the point most eloquently. Well done!

NicoleScott
08-24-2012, 04:53 PM
Yes, it's a shortcoming, and that's why I wear high heels - to compensate.

KellyJameson
08-24-2012, 08:39 PM
The Sierra Club advocates minimum impact camping techniques and I like this concept as applied to the world as a whole in that each of us is camping in the world
for a short time with our lives being the sum total of our impact during our lives.

I have worked very hard to transcend the indiscriminate cruelty and aggression that seems to rule the world by not being a part of this madness and for me this means
that I do not have the "shortcomings" of my parents with their mindless, self absorbed, egocentric appetites and behaviors that seem to parallel and represent
much of society and the world at large.

For me shortcomings come down to one thing, if you had not been born would the world be a better place because of the harm you have caused to innocent people
that you not only do not admit to but actively deny.

My own conscience is clear so I do not feel like a failure and everything else is so much fluff to hide what is truly important, how we live in relation to everything else.

We are here as custodians and caretakers but when we live as vampires stealing the life force from others because of our own cowardice the world would be a better place without us.

It is what we take from others by force that decides our shortcomings, not what we do with our own life independant of others.

There is a great nashing of teeth by those afraid to break social conventions, but conventions are largely built from fear to be followed by mindless cowards who in their tyrannical shelfish fear what to control everyone else so they do not have to change themselves which would mean confronting their own pain and fear.

Dying a coward would be a shortcoming, the challenge is understanding the difference between cowardice and courage because much of courage is cowardice in disguise.

BLUE ORCHID
08-24-2012, 08:50 PM
I like to think of it as a gift.

Alice Torn
08-24-2012, 08:58 PM
Right on Freddy! I can't say it any better. We are considered deviants, and I am sure that there are deviants among any lifestyle. But, i am also considered deviant.Society remains uneducated on many basic things. Even though, I believe the Bible, I am in agreement with you. Were not the prophets, and earliest Christians also considered odd and deviant!?

NathalieX66
08-24-2012, 09:04 PM
I prefer the term gender enhanced to described all trans folk - so not deficient at all

Bingo.

Humans are complicated creatures. Everybody falls with a spectrum, pick your spot. And if you need to move about the spectrum, then do so. I do.
I have no idea what life is like, or how people react in Lindsborg, Kansas, other than being twice in KC and once in Omaha, Nebraska, and a couple of dozen road trips to Iowa, and southern Illinois when I lived in Chicago.
People have treated me great here on the east coast when i am out & about. this is not meant to be a brag or a snub. The vibe here is very eclectic.

sissystephanie
08-24-2012, 09:18 PM
A Shortcoming, as applied to an individual, is only valid for that particular indivdual! By that I mean it is only valid if the individual believes it to be valid. In other words, if you as a crossdresser believe that crossdressing is a shortcoming, than for you it is!! I am a crossdresser and do not believe that it is a shortcoming at all. I feel that it is an outward expression of who I am. I am a man who likes to dress like a female. I have no desire to be a woman, and never have had that desire. I just like to wear feminine clothing!

noeleena
08-25-2012, 04:35 AM
Hi,

In my program i was short of a few things the prob was i did not know , even as a young child & later things i did not see . yet there were other details there that showed up later so was i short on what i needed if this refers to being a male yes & i can say the same for being a female just because my program was short circuted out other circute's took thier place ,

So yes i have many shortcomings . i just dont know which way it was ment to go. so the best i could do was embrace both sides of who i am,

...noeleena...