PDA

View Full Version : Purging rates?

Blaire
08-27-2012, 01:10 PM
There are a lot of us that have purged out out things at one point or another. I suppose that there's a higher rate of purging in the more aged of us, as well - opportunity and reason being greater. It has started me thinking about why I haven't ever. Probably more to do with being a packrat than anything :)

But I'm curious - how many of us in the 37-43 demographic have never purged?

kimdl93
08-27-2012, 01:13 PM
..But I'm curious - how many of us in the 37-43 demographic have never purged?

Not to get too far off track - but do you consider 37-43 "aged"?

I never purges in during that part of my life, I suppose because I didn't have all that many things to purge. A few years later, after the kids had moved away, my wardrobe and dressing time both substantially increased, but I've resisted any temptation to purge.

katie_barns
08-27-2012, 01:13 PM
When I was under 45 I purged often. At lease a couple times a year. After I came out to my wife. I have only had one purge, and I felt stupid afterwards.

reb.femme
08-27-2012, 01:32 PM

Hi Blaire,

This was my first retort too. Eek......I'm a positive fossil under such an assessment!

However, making a huge assumption here that you are in said age bracket, then hopefully your clothes should be reasonably modern. Next time you purge, please consider the environment and send all unwanted clothing to me at........

I'm only thinking about the environment and not myself........much! :devil:

Rebecca x (The opportunist)

Pexetta
08-27-2012, 02:17 PM
I'm 42 and have never purged. Just thrown out old clothes when I've bought better ones to replace them.

suzy1
08-27-2012, 02:27 PM
We purge because we feel guilty don’t we?
But I have never ever felt guilty because I could never see anything wrong with what we do. There IS nothing wrong with what we do.

The feeling of guilt over CDing is completely alien to me.

So join the club Blaire:)

Julogden
08-27-2012, 02:36 PM
I purged twice, both times when I was in my early 20's and the woman I married forced them both, one before marriage and another after. I've never purged since, and I'm currently 61, so I'd say purges usually happen early on in one's CD history.

Carol

Beverley Sims
08-27-2012, 02:41 PM

I never purges in during that part of my life, I suppose because I didn't have all that many things to purge. A few years later, after the kids had moved away, my wardrobe and dressing time both substantially increased, but I've resisted any temptation to purge.

My mum was 38 when she died. On her Birthday.
I thought she was old.
On my 38th birthday I kept looking over my shoulder.
To answer the question.
I have never purged but I think it is done more in the early years of adventures.
More things to do more things to explore.More money to spend.
The mind is more pliable and prone to doing stupid things as well.
There is a saying, older and wiser comes in here somewhere. :)

MichelleMiles
08-27-2012, 03:01 PM
I am not in your specified demographic (29), but I have been dressing for 15 or so years and I have never purged. I have gotten rid of old clothes or ugly outfits that I bought from when I first started, mostly impulse buys. However, when and if I felt the need to purge, I would usually just pack my stuff up in a box or bag and stow it away until I inevitably wanted to dress again. I'm glad I did this otherwise I would be missing some of my favourite heels :)

alisa63
08-27-2012, 03:45 PM
I am in your demographic, and I HAVE purged. The biggest time was right before I went to college as I didn't want my parents to find my stuff once I wasn't there to protect my turf. I also did a semi purge when I moved in with my GF (now wife) just keeping enough stuff to get by. I still often think of a few specific items I purged prior to college and wish I hadn't gotten rid of them.

Gena Gurl
08-27-2012, 04:39 PM
I certainly do not fall into the demographics of this age range, but since turning 63 a week ago I can guess I problably purged at least 20+ times. Why? I've tried to anwser my own question and this is for me only, I always felt ashamed after dressing (mine was for sexual release) after you know, it was the feeling of I am doing something wrong that goes against my man hood. I've spent hundreds and even thousands on clothes make-up, wiggs and such. I bet some of you know what I'm talking about. I now have a friend that told me if you get those feelings again, call me and I will box up all your stuff because it's not if, but when you'll get the urge again. MMMM!!!!

NathalieX66
08-27-2012, 09:06 PM
That was exactly the time of life I purged.....you know, hoping I would "man up", and get on with life.....age 36 to be exact. I gave up some mighty nice things that weren't cheap.

When one is in their twenties and thirties, there's a certain amount of social pressure because you're at the stage where you are trying to build your life. When you get older, you realize that no matter where life has taken you, you're still you. It has to be reckoned with.

I was never the 8 year old boy that wished he was a girl, but I certainly liked the girl expression, and didn't like boy expression. I secretly crossdressed for a very long time. Therein lies the confusion I felt between that time until three years ago when I just simply accepted myself and went from there.

Sarah Doepner
08-27-2012, 09:14 PM

This is my situation as well, except I've not had the urge to purge. I have done a lot of culling over the years, but never an all out abandonment of my crossdressing things.

JaytoJillian
08-28-2012, 12:51 AM
I'm 42 and have never purged. Just thrown out old clothes when I've bought better ones to replace them.

Ditto---I also gave away quite a few things that just didnt work for me--the recipient was a younger trans woman who is transitioning on the job and she is in need of a complete femme wardrobe for the office.