PDA

View Full Version : Cold Wax? Help plz...

RachelDee
11-20-2005, 12:13 PM
I can't seem to get much joy with hair removal methods at the moment ;) i have tried cream's, first one didnt do anything at all. So i tried 'Nair' which didnt do much more but made my skin dry and sore.... I tried it again (yeah i dont learn ;)) and aplied it thicker and it did take off most of my growth on my face but i was unimpressed with the results (looked like i had shaved only not as good) so i give up on that lol.

Anyhow so i thought id try some wax strips. I can't really start using microwaves and such, that would be kinda hard to keep 'discreet' -- So i got some of those Cold Wax strips by Veet. I think im using them wrong because i put it on, pull it off (it hurts-ish) but its not really getting much of the hair....

It does not help that i have to do this sort of sneekily as extended periods in the bathroom can raise a few questions ;) so sometimes i just wish people knew so i could get on with it :p

Anyone used these and have any advise? I'm sure im following the instructions as best i can but.... it's amazing you know, there are all these formula's for 'growing hair' and such but something simple as getting rid of it is such a challenge :D

Tamara Croft
11-20-2005, 12:16 PM
Hmm.... I've not heard of 'cold' wax strips by veet. There are however strips made by veet which you have to warm up inbetween your hands, or get a lighter and just wave the heat underneath the strip for a few seconds...... Wax has to be warm so it can stick to the hairs, if the wax is cold, it can not.

Have another read of the instructions and see if they do actually need warming up.

Wendy me
11-20-2005, 12:29 PM
girlfreind shave......it's a lot easyer.......

Tamara Croft
11-20-2005, 01:01 PM
girlfreind shave......it's a lot easyer.......:slap: where's the fun in that? :tongueout

Wendy me
11-20-2005, 01:08 PM
could be your not doing it right i always enjoy shaveing......

DanaJ
11-20-2005, 01:21 PM
Robert, if this thread is about your face, I'm afraid that shaving is about the only way that us gonna work for ya. Hair removal creams are not really made for the male face, and waxing is near impossible due the much more closely spaced hair.

Lauren_T
11-20-2005, 01:21 PM
could be your not doing it right i always enjoy shaveing......'Not I', she said, pointing to the nicks and spots missed...

Robert, are you attending to the bit in the instructions about smoothing the strips on? Try to apply the strip whilst sliding it in the direction the hair grows. When you remove it, pull it back fast, smoothly and firmly, away from the direction of growth. You never get all of 'em the first time anyway, but if you get that first pull right, the second one'll get the few that remain.

For a few bucks, they make very small, discreet electric hot-pots for warming body wax to the right temperature. Then you wouldn't have to make any mysterious visits to the kitchen... :p

And BTW, like they tell you, for very good reason, don't use Nair or other such stuff on your face! If it was safe to use on the face (it isn't - because the length of time it takes to dissolve the hair is way too long for it to be on your delicate facial skin) and if it worked - do you think anyone would still be using razors? :confused:

Tamara Croft
11-20-2005, 01:58 PM
Ah well spotted Sherlock (Dana that is) facial waxing...... that's a great big NO!!! well, unless you are about 18 and have what us brits call 'bum fluff' on ye face :D

See, it's like this..... you just can't wait to shave all that facial hair off..... and it grows back thicker :eek: and thicker :confuse: until, alas, all you can do is shave it off :cry:

RachelDee
11-20-2005, 02:04 PM
Ah yeah sorry i am using the wax strips on my legs not face. It was just the nair i used on my face, it said on it you could use it on your face, just not around the eyes. I got the nair because i had what i thought would be a bright idea to get rid of all the hair i wanted easily with one product ;) well shows what i know. Although ill admit i did try the wax strips on my face briefly... they make them for face so i thought id save a few £ on buying the same thing only smaller... not joy like before.

It is the one you warm in your hands. But it just says to hold it between your hands until its easy to pull apart... i did that but no joy. I shall try again and try and make sure i double check im doing everything right. :)

I have been shaving incidentally, it only lasts a day, and causes 'razor rash' mostley, and it hard to do without getting 'nicks' even though the razors ive bought proclaim that they are great for use on 'curves'... i just wanted something better. Something that also leaves me feeling smoother (shaving never seems to do that).

I have been toying with the idea of getting an Epilator... but im wondering if it will end up the same as the waxing (hurts but still hair lol).

Tamara Croft
11-20-2005, 02:21 PM
Epilators are pure evil.... they hurt, they are like torture....

Ok, the waxing.... There are 2 types of veet wax strips you can buy, normal (which have blue wax) and sensitive (which have yellowish wax). The sensitive strips are completely useless. Wax has to be warm in order to grip the hairs, the hotter you can stand it the better. So, get a lighter or light a candle and hover the strips over the heat (not on it and move it side to side to even out the heat) until the strips are pretty warm. If the strips pull apart really easily, then they are hot enough, but if you find yourself tugging just a little bit, then they aren't hot enough. These strips will pull apart even if they are cold, it's when they 'glide' apart you know they are ready.

Make sure your skin is free from any creams, oils etc (showering first is always a good idea). Follow Laurens instructions regarding applying and removal.....she was spot on ;)

Don't keep applying the strips to the same area, don't touch the area with your hands either. Once you have completed the waxing, make sure you apply an after-wax lotion or whatever came with those veet strips. Don't wear stockings/tights for at least 24 hours. If you don't stick to these guidelines, you could cause an infection :D

Lauren_T
11-20-2005, 02:25 PM
Ah yeah sorry i am using the wax strips on my legs not face. It was just the nair i used on my face, it said on it you could use it on your face, just not around the eyes. I got the nair because i had what i thought would be a bright idea to get rid of all the hair i wanted easily with one product ;) well shows what i know. Although ill admit i did try the wax strips on my face briefly... they make them for face so i thought id save a few £ on buying the same thing only smaller... not joy like before.

I have been shaving incidentally, it only lasts a day, and causes 'razor rash' mostley, and it hard to do without getting 'nicks' even though the razors ive bought proclaim that they are great for use on 'curves'... i just wanted something better. Something that also leaves me feeling smoother (shaving never seems to do that).

I have been toying with the idea of getting an Epilator... but im wondering if it will end up the same as the waxing (hurts but still hair lol).Well, they do say you can use some o' these things on your face... only problem is, the people they're saying that to are GGs! Y'know, the ones what wif gotz dem almost-invisible li'l fine hairs (that disintegrate almost instantly), not our great dark horrid tree-trunk-diameter ones... :)

Some tips about shaving I figured out on my oddy-knocky and some I've picked up elsewhere:
Wash and exfoliate the dead skin first; leave the shave cream/foam/gel on a few mins beforehand; rinse that blade constantly! Even after every stroke if you have to. (a) The blades'll last a lot longer; (b) those long hairs clog up the blade quick-like - especially double- and treble-blade razors; using a clogged-up blade also tends to damage the edge of the blade, making for nicks and suchlike... a clogged blade also doesn't cut worth a damn...

I bet some o' that'll help. Mebbe... :confused:

RachelDee
11-20-2005, 03:04 PM
I'll try that, thanks -- It is the 'blue' strips. I will try warming them more, i just had another try but it was still not great. I heated them on the radiator... i had to keep going over, it did get some hair this time just not enough.

Has anyone seen these Laser Hair Removal home systems? (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-EPILA-LASER-HAIR-REMOVAL-2005-MODEL_W0QQitemZ5634917577QQcategoryZ82565QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem) You think they are anygood? I have heard some epilators have some heads to stop it hurting as much... im just after a good method to get rid of the hair XD so far they all seem time consuming and not giving me the results im after.

Hmmm ill try a new shaver too i guess, see if i can get better results. :)

EDIT EDIT:

Just found this product on eBay... sounds too good to be true. I have never heard of it myself but then i guess there is no reason i should have...

NADS HAIR REMOVAL GEL (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUSSIE-NADS-No-Heat-Hair-Removal-Kit-NADS-350g12oz-NAD_W0QQitemZ5635459544QQcategoryZ82565QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem)

Found the website for it too! http://www.nads.com

"Because Nad's gel is made of all natural ingredients it's perfectly safe for use around the eye area and anywhere else on the body. There is no mess with Nad's because it is water soluble so clean-up is easy.

I'm quiet excited now :D.... hang on....im excited about hair removal :eek: oh dear.

Lauren_T
11-20-2005, 03:27 PM
I'll try that, thanks -- It is the 'blue' strips. I will try warming them more, i just had another try but it was still not great. I heated them on the radiator... i had to keep going over, it did get some hair this time just not enough.

Has anyone seen these Laser Hair Removal home systems? (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-EPILA-LASER-HAIR-REMOVAL-2005-MODEL_W0QQitemZ5634917577QQcategoryZ82565QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem) You think they are anygood? I have heard some epilators have some heads to stop it hurting as much... im just after a good method to get rid of the hair XD so far they all seem time consuming and not giving me the results im after.

Hmmm ill try a new shaver too i guess, see if i can get better results. :)

EDIT EDIT:

Just found this product on eBay... sounds too good to be true. I have never heard of it myself but then i guess there is no reason i should have...

NADS HAIR REMOVAL GEL (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUSSIE-NADS-No-Heat-Hair-Removal-Kit-NADS-350g12oz-NAD_W0QQitemZ5635459544QQcategoryZ82565QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem)

Found the website for it too! http://www.nads.com

I'm quiet excited now :D.... hang on....im excited about hair removal :eek: oh dear.
I've seen a few peoples' testimony that Nad's works for them; however, I've seen far more who say it's crrrrrap.

And I'm here to tell you, a laser powerful enough to do the job is a very expensive item - and requires a goodly bit of training to use, as well. May as well price out the "Home Brain Surgery" DIY kits...

I'm beginning to think you put too much faith in what people who have something to sell for money say about their stuff... :)

Have you looked at this site? (http://www.hairfacts.com/)

RachelDee
11-20-2005, 04:07 PM
I've seen a few peoples' testimony that Nad's works for them; however, I've seen far more who say it's crrrrrap.

And I'm here to tell you, a laser powerful enough to do the job is a very expensive item - and requires a goodly bit of training to use, as well. May as well price out the "Home Brain Surgery" DIY kits...

I'm beginning to think you put too much faith in what people who have something to sell for money say about their stuff... :)

Have you looked at this site? (http://www.hairfacts.com/)

Way to rain on my parade there :p you parade rainer onner person :confused: thing.

That site is interesting but pretty much says there isnt any great way to remove hair. Id rather stick with my false hopes i think ;) i might try Nads as its only £7 for a tub on ebay.... seems reasonable considering how much its cost me for wax strips and creams and god knows what else. :(

Lauren_T
11-20-2005, 04:10 PM
Way to rain on my parade there :p you parade rainer onner person :confused: thing.

That site is interesting but pretty much says there isnt any great way to remove hair. Id rather stick with my false hopes i think ;) i might try Nads as its only £7 for a tub on ebay.... seems reasonable considering how much its cost me for wax strips and creams and god knows what else. :(
My parade-raining-onning-thingy is why Barbra Streisand won't return my calls any more...
...when I'm in the vicinity, it always pays to have some protection at hand: :umbrella: