PDA

View Full Version : Guitar shredding in drag?

RachelRoxx
08-30-2012, 02:23 PM
So I have had this urge to record some videos of me all dolled up playing guitar. Ive been playing for 15 years and I hate to sound arrogant but I know Im shredderificly awesome. And Id like to put it to good use. So, anyone want to see some videos of Rachel playing some songs. It would be mostly metal and rock. Metallica, Megadeth, Avenged Sevenfold, Iron Maiden and also some instrumentals like Eric Johnson, Yngwie Malmsteen, Joe Satriani, Steve Petrucci. And Ill also take requests, although if its a tough song it may take me a week or two to post since im a perfectionist when it comes to guitar. What do you all think?

linda allen
08-30-2012, 02:29 PM
I think you must be a lot younger than me. Can you play some Les Paul or Chet Atkins ? :devil:

avant1465
08-30-2012, 02:36 PM
Les Paul and Chet Atkins????? I think they were playing guitar long before the last Ice Age!!!!

franlee
08-30-2012, 02:39 PM
The dressing for the vedio would be great but I have a problem I will have to put a CD player in the guitar to get music but at least I can pick what ever style of music suit my attire. Oh, I have to use a CD player because I'm so tone deft I can't even tune a radio!

GeminaRenee
08-30-2012, 02:41 PM
I'd watch from time to time! Can I request "Lucretia?" Or "Tornado of Souls?" Or "Five Magics?" Or anything off Rust In Peace except "Dawn Patrol?" :D

RachelRoxx
08-30-2012, 02:43 PM
Les Paul and Chet Atkins????? I think they were playing guitar long before the last Ice Age!!!!

Without Les Paul i might not have an electric guitar at all! Pioneer! I dont know any, not really my style. How about some Django Rhienhart Linda?

RachelRoxx
08-30-2012, 02:44 PM
I'd watch from time to time! Can I request "Lucretia?" Or "Tornado of Souls?" Or "Five Magics?" Or anything off Rust In Peace except "Dawn Patrol?" :D

Rust is Peace is effing amazing! I was just jamming on some Holy Wars and Tornado of Souls! Marty Friedman is tough to learn but i got those solos down pat. LOVE THAT ALBUM!

Tracii G
08-30-2012, 02:54 PM
Oh yeah I would deff watch your videos.
I have done one gig in drag and one recording session too so have at it I would love it.
METAL RULEZ

Kathyxd
08-30-2012, 02:59 PM
Go for it

Joe Satriani's Big Bad Moon please???

GeminaRenee
08-30-2012, 02:59 PM
Rust is Peace is effing amazing! I was just jamming on some Holy Wars and Tornado of Souls! Marty Friedman is tough to learn but i got those solos down pat. LOVE THAT ALBUM!

Yes!! That was the first thrash album I acquired. Just before going into high school, I was much more into the hair metal of the 80's, as well as a bit into the grunge thing that was just coming about. Then, a guy in my class gave me a tape of Rust In Peace and Maiden's Somewhere in Time, and it pushed me into a multi-year love affair with heavier, faster metal. It's hard to beat Friedman era 'Deth for my money, though I guess Mustaine claims he was behind every note that Marty played. I sort of lost interest after Nick and Marty left, but I still have the classic albums on regular rotation in my CD player!

RachelRoxx
08-30-2012, 03:03 PM
Yes!! That was the first thrash album I acquired. Just before going into high school, I was much more into the hair metal of the 80's, as well as a bit into the grunge thing that was just coming about. Then, a guy in my class gave me a tape of Rust In Peace and Maiden's Somewhere in Time, and it pushed me into a multi-year love affair with heavier, faster metal. It's hard to beat Friedman era 'Deth for my money, though I guess Mustaine claims he was behind every note that Marty played. I sort of lost interest after Nick and Marty left, but I still have the classic albums on regular rotation in my CD player!

Yea Dave is a liar i think, hes ok but hes nowhere near as good as Marty. Theyre new guitarist Chris Broderick is a god and there is no way Dave can write his solos. Do you like Endgame?

Jamie Burton
08-30-2012, 03:07 PM
Eric Johnson's Cliffs of Dover is one of my favorite songs, ever! How about a little Judas Priest? Turbo Lover, perhaps?

RachelRoxx
08-30-2012, 03:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydqfZN-LAWQ

How about some Limehouse Blues Linda? This is beautiful! Makes me want to swing!

Tracii G
08-30-2012, 03:19 PM
I was into thrash big time back then but never into Metallica for some reason.Megadeth had something special.
Maiden's somewhere in time was awesome so I still listen to it a lot.
Overkill was always so killer live.

RachelRoxx
08-30-2012, 03:20 PM

Kind of the same thing happened to me. In 6th grade i listened to a lot of rap crap, someone gave me Master of Puppets and Rust in Peace and i immediately threw out all my rap cd's and begged my mom for a guitar. The rest is metal history! lol

Julogden
08-30-2012, 03:22 PM
Yohio (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR0D1oCbIm8) from the band Seremedy is quite the shredder and really pretty too. If you haven't checked out Yohio's videos, hit Youtube immediately. :)

Carol

Tracii G
08-30-2012, 03:24 PM
Caught a show of the all girl band Iron Madiens and those girls can rock.

Ineke Vashon
08-30-2012, 03:26 PM
Then there are a few of us who think any music after 1960 must have been recorded on the planet Koosbain during a volcanic eruption:bonk:.

Ineke

Candice Mae
08-30-2012, 03:29 PM
Candice is also a thrasher.
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u498/crystal8812/017.jpg

I fall under the Kerry King/Hetfield mold of guitarist. Not too technical, just a fast steady right hand that never quits.

RachelRoxx
08-30-2012, 03:31 PM
Oh yeah I would deff watch your videos.
I have done one gig in drag and one recording session too so have at it I would love it.
METAL RULEZ

Is that a Jackson i see? I love Jacksons. My Jackson Randy Rhoads is my baby, i treat that guitar better than i treat most people. A MArshall fan huh? I like em but i have a Mesa Boogie head into a Krank 4x12 cab and the thing is friggin mean!

RachelRoxx
08-30-2012, 03:33 PM
Candice is also a thrasher.
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u498/crystal8812/017.jpg

I fall under the Kerry King/Hetfield mold of guitarist. Not too technical, just a fast steady right hand that never quits.

Kerry King is a terrible lead guitarist but he is a riff master. Saw them with Pantera in 2000, i was in the pit, craziest night of my life! Yea thats how i learned to palm mute crazy fast, JAMES! That and 20 minutes a day in the bathroom with a Victorias Secret catolog when i was a kid helped.lolol

RachelRoxx
08-30-2012, 03:41 PM
Kerry King is a terrible lead guitarist but he is a riff master. Saw them with Pantera in 2000, i was in the pit, craziest night of my life! Yea thats how i learned to palm mute crazy fast, JAMES! That and 20 minutes a day in the bathroom with a Victorias Secret catolog when i was a kid helped.lolol

Gosh youre so cute and sexy with that guitar.

RachelRoxx
08-30-2012, 03:42 PM
Then there are a few of us who think any music after 1960 must have been recorded on the planet Koosbain during a volcanic eruption:bonk:.

Ineke

Well thats just close minded. I may not like some music from your era but i certainly respect it.

Candice Mae
08-30-2012, 03:43 PM

Ya, I'm more of a rhythm guitarist. Sometimes King's random/out of key solo's work though, and RIP Dimebag.

RachelRoxx
08-30-2012, 03:45 PM
I was into thrash big time back then but never into Metallica for some reason.Megadeth had something special.
Maiden's somewhere in time was awesome so I still listen to it a lot.
Overkill was always so killer live.

Overkill rules. And Megadeth still has something special. Especially since they got Chris Broderick from Nevermore on guitar and got Dave Ellefson back on bass, Endgame is a great album! How can you be a metalhead and not like Metallica. They are and always will be the dark lords of thrash metal. Granted Load, ReLoad and St. Anger were utter pieces of garbage, Death Magnetic is a true return to their thrash roots and is a great album!

Kali
08-30-2012, 03:47 PM
I could hook you up with a friend of mine; she performs under the name "The Great Kat"

I'm 110% certain that a TG shredder would make her day :)

RachelRoxx
Ya, I'm more of a rhythm guitarist. Sometimes King's random/out of key solo's work though, and RIP Dimebag.

I cried like a baby and called out of work when Dime died. Im so fortunate I got to see them twice before they broke up. R.I.P. Dime. Such a senseless tragedy. Death was too good for that piece of crap that shot him, he should have to spend eternity chained to a wall getting kicked in the nuts by Pantera fans forever and ever.

Candice Mae
Gosh youre so cute and sexy with that guitar.

Thanks, its a Jackson X series King V, neck through with Hetfields EMG 81/60. I'm not a big fan of signature stuff, but the mid range those pick ups have really suits my tone and playing style.

RachelRoxx
08-30-2012, 03:48 PM
I could hook you up with a friend of mine; she performs under the name "The Great Kat"

I'm 110% certain that a TG shredder would make her day :)

Youre screwing with me right? YOU KNOW THE GREAT KAT! AWESOME! SHE IS A GODDESS!!!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE INTRODUCE ME!

RachelRoxx
08-30-2012, 03:50 PM
Thanks, its a Jackson X series King V, neck through with Hetfields EMG 81/60. I'm not a big fan of signature stuff, but the mid range those pick ups have really suits my tone and playing style.

I have a few axes but my love is my Jackson Randy Rhoads, black with chrome hardware, I put Seymour Duncans in and it sounds amazing! That guitar through my Mesa Boogie head makes me want to cream my pants everytime i hear it.

xdressed
08-30-2012, 03:51 PM
Fellow thrasher here! I'm much more into the darker stuff like Slayer, Celtic Frost, Kreator, Venom etc

I also front my own Thrash Metal band, very dark and experimental compared to the normal stuff though, PM me if you want a listen. On that note anyone else is a band?

I'd love to play dressed one day, but I think I'd have to completely out of the closet to even consider it in a band like this.

Also do a guitar cover of Hordes of Chaos by Kreator, amazing song!

RachelRoxx
08-30-2012, 03:54 PM
Fellow thrasher here! I'm much more into the darker stuff like Slayer, Celtic Frost, Kreator, Venom etc

I also front my own Thrash Metal band, very dark and experimental compared to the normal stuff though, PM me if you want a listen. On that note anyone else is a band?

I'd love to play dressed one day, but I think I'd have to completely out of the closet to even consider it in a band like this.

Also do a guitar cover of Hordes of Chaos by Kreator, amazing song!

Youre playing Celtic Frost and Kreator on a Fender? Babe you need a thrash guitar! GEt a Jackson! There isnt a faster neck out there!

xdressed
08-30-2012, 03:59 PM
Youre playing Celtic Frost and Kreator on a Fender? Babe you need a thrash guitar! GEt a Jackson! There isnt a faster neck out there!

Ha no that's my sisters, looked better for the photo. I'm a bassist and vocalist predominately

Kali
08-30-2012, 04:07 PM
Youre screwing with me right? YOU KNOW THE GREAT KAT! AWESOME! SHE IS A GODDESS!!!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE INTRODUCE ME!

I don't run into Kat all that often anymore but I email with her sister Karen (who's also her manager) about once a month or so. Next time I talk to her I can find out what Kat is up to.

Tracii G
08-30-2012, 04:14 PM
Jackson and Charvel USA's were my main guitars back in the day had tons of them over the years too.
Nothing better IMO.Wild graphics and paint colors still look cool to me.That KV looks nice Candice pointies forever.

GeminaRenee
08-30-2012, 05:35 PM
Yea Dave is a liar i think, hes ok but hes nowhere near as good as Marty. Theyre new guitarist Chris Broderick is a god and there is no way Dave can write his solos. Do you like Endgame?

I have not listened to it, to be perfectly honest. I've tossed around the idea of picking up one of the post-97 'Deth albums, but I wasn't sure where to start. Is that the one you'd recommend, then? Since I started college, I mostly stopped exposing myself to new metal releases - my tastes expanded a bit, so I spent my money elsewhere. The exception was Death Magnetic, which I promptly creamed my leathers upon hearing - the Metallica album I'd been hoping for since Load came out and ruined my life.

linda allen
08-30-2012, 06:32 PM
When I was young, music had a melody. I got paid to play it. It was called "playing", not "shredding". :devil:

xdressed
08-30-2012, 06:51 PM
When I was young, music had a melody. I got paid to play it. It was called "playing", not "shredding". :devil:

Then you probably don't want to know about some of the slang for the REALLY brutal side of metal lol

Tracii G
08-30-2012, 08:10 PM
Shredding is just a form and style and nothing wrong with it at all.I was never a super shredder and never tried to be.
I just wanted to be solid player and could lay a lead down if I felt the need to.Rhythm was my main forte but taking the spotlight was nice every now and then.
Any leads I do now are more fluid and border on the prog rock side.
Some shredding I see on YT seems like scale practice to me no heart or feeling.
Some shredding is pretty darn good in the context of a song.
Iced Earth is one of my fave bands in the last few years, Jon Shaffer I have met a few times and he is a very cool person.One of the fastest rhythm players I have ever seen.
They don't get more solid than Jon.
Evergrey are high on my play list too.Mercenary as well.

NathalieX66
08-30-2012, 08:15 PM
I do not want to come off as snide here, so pardon me if I do....believe me, it come's from my mom.

Being a musician, and around lots of musicians who play out and perform in front of a lot of people, which I have done too, but not lately because I am recovering from a permanent injury (I fell off the roof and landed hands down on my patio and broke my left wrist a few years ago), there is a term musicians often refer to about shredding, and it is called guitar wank . I have nothing against guitar solos per se, but there is such a spirituality about music, that the solo is really the cherry on the top of the sundae, not the entire song.

My apologies to anybody if I come across as a complete jærk.

Tracii G
08-30-2012, 08:28 PM
Some do call it wanking or meedly meedly.
Its a popular form of songwriting so I embrace it for what it is.Technically its very hard to do and speed is everything.
I had my period of it trying to be as fast as I could be but I burned out very quickly.
Music to me is a inner expression of how I feel at that one moment nothing more nothing less.
The 80's it was all about how good you were with the floyd rose doing dive bombs and over the shoulder guitar swinging,finger tapping all that stuff.Its moved on to some thing new and that is the way it should be.
Find the music that moves you put your spin on it take it to another level and pass it on.

GeminaRenee
08-30-2012, 08:54 PM
I do not want to come off as snide here, so pardon me if I do....believe me, it come's from my mom.

Being a musician, and around lots of musicians who play out and perform in front of a lot of people, which I have done too, but not lately because I am recovering from a permanent injury (I fell off the roof and landed hands down on my patio and broke my left wrist a few years ago), there is a term musicians often refer to about shredding, and it is called guitar wank . I have nothing against guitar solos per se, but there is such a spirituality about music, that the solo is really the cherry on the top of the sundae, not the entire song.

I feel compelled to respond to this and moderate a bit...

I certainly see where you are coming from. There is a lot of highly technical stuff that doesn't move me at all. But, of course, that's the beauty of music - what moves some people can fail to connect with others entirely. While many people (myself included) may find Yngwie's music, for example, to be largely soulless shredding, I think you'd be hard pressed to argue that Yngwie himself finds what he does to be devoid of feeling. And at the end of the day, if someone connects with it, well, mission accomplished. Personally, I find musical validity across a wide spectrum - from Dream Theater to Nirvana to Van Halen to The Roots to Shpongle. There's SO much good stuff out there!

To each his or her own, I say. Just my $0.02...

Tracii G
08-30-2012, 09:10 PM

I certainly see where you are coming from. There is a lot of highly technical stuff that doesn't move me at all. But, of course, that's the beauty of music - what moves some people can fail to connect with others entirely. While many people (myself included) may find Yngwie's music, for example, to be largely soulless shredding, I think you'd be hard pressed to argue that Yngwie himself doesn't find what he does to be devoid of feeling. And at the end of the day, if someone connects with it, well, mission accomplished. Personally, I find musical validity across a wide spectrum - from Dream Theater to Nirvana to Van Halen to The Roots to Shpongle. There's SO much good stuff out there!

Yep thats the way I look at it very well put Kali.

StacyChambers
08-30-2012, 09:24 PM
So much Metallica talk - dare I bring up Testament?

I do like Metallica but own none of their albums between the self-titled black album and Death Magnetic. Is there anything worthwhile between them?

Back on-topic, I'm just a beginning guitar player who enjoys playing (not shredding...yet) while dressed.

linda allen
08-30-2012, 09:29 PM
You guys should listen to BB King. He can say in one note what so many guitar players can't say in one hundred.

Confetti
08-30-2012, 09:34 PM
I think the 70's 80's hair band is why I have a cross dressy obsession, started with Paul Stanley and those lovely red lips.Even if the music was cheesy there was always pretty boys.

Genny B
08-30-2012, 09:34 PM
I play in a band also. But my days go way back. I've got an old humming bird that pleases me...

Ressie
08-30-2012, 09:36 PM
I'll watch your vids! I've been playing for over 40 years and have some vids on youtube, but I don't mix playing music with crossdressing. The closest I ever got to metal is Led Zep or Black Sabbath. I play Jazz, blues, country, rock, fingerstyle, etc. I appreciate the shredders and have learned from some of their instructional videos. But I like music that breaths a little more. Space between the notes is just as important as the notes. I tried playing guitar en fem, but the big breasts got in the way! So post your videos and impress me with your playing and sexy outfits! I won't criticize unless you ask.

Tracii G
08-30-2012, 09:36 PM
Oh Testament are on my playlist too.
I'm 80' 90's metal all the way but I like other music too so I listen to a lot of different styles.
I tend to play with more feeling these days maybe I'm slowing down hell I'll be 60 next month.
Still be heading out to a 3 day rock festival next month and bang my head.Hope its not on the amps LOL.

GeminaRenee
08-30-2012, 09:40 PM
I do like Metallica but own none of their albums between the self-titled black album and Death Magnetic. Is there anything worthwhile between them?

Sort of... While I hated Load when it came out - it was such a giant disappointment for someone who wanted the next Kill 'Em All - with age, and 15 years to let the music grow on me, I find that there are a few pretty good songs. It's just not Metallica in the traditional sense. And there's nothing worthwhile solo-wise. Reload is pretty much junk, as far as I'm concerned. Garage, Inc. is certainly worth picking up. S&M is not. Finally, St. Anger was awful all-around, except I do rather like the song "Frantic." I may be alone in my feelings on even that song.

GeminaRenee
08-30-2012, 09:44 PM
I think the 70's 80's hair band is why I have a cross dressy obsession, started with Paul Stanley and those lovely red lips.Even if the music was cheesy there was always pretty boys.

I totally agree there. For me it was Motley Crue from the Theater of Pain era. Vince with that bleached hair and pink lipstick and those white gloves... what a look! I know for a fact that was an influence on me in terms of wanting to look like a pretty girl...

Tracii G
08-30-2012, 09:50 PM
Kiss and Motley Crue are the real deal for sure. I have a set of pick ups that came out of Mick Mars's guitar he used on the Girls, Girls ,Girls tour.
Kinda special to me because I love Mick Mars.

Leah Lynn
08-30-2012, 09:55 PM
King James (Hetfield, that is), lost the ability to sing when he cut his hair. Myself, I only played accustic. A few of us guys used to play in some clubs around Memphis in the early '70's. Mostly for drinks and tips. Now excuse me, but all this ax talk has me wanting to put on an SRV cd.

Tracii G
08-30-2012, 10:00 PM
Yeah all this talk makes want to fire the big tube amp up but the neighborhood wouldn't like it.

Tera
08-30-2012, 10:19 PM
Testament may be my all time favorite thrash band. Their live album from The Filmore might be the best live metal album ever, aside from maybe Metallica's "S&M". I had no idea there were so many other metalheads like me on here!

Back on-topic, I'm just a beginning guitar player who enjoys playing (not shredding...yet) while dressed.

GeminaRenee
08-30-2012, 10:21 PM
Kiss and Motley Crue are the real deal for sure. I have a set of pick ups that came out of Mick Mars's guitar he used on the Girls, Girls ,Girls tour.

That's pretty cool! I know Mick gets a lot of flak from the guitar community because he's not the shredder that so many of his contemporaries were. But I've always thought that his playing was perfect for the Crue's music. And his tone! Especially on Girls and Dr. Feelgood - that's some of my favorite rhythm tone of the whole era. Dirty as hell, but polished up just enough. I never played a Kramer I liked though.

ReineD
08-30-2012, 10:46 PM
Well, I've just learned a new term: shredding. I've heard my son doing this and I didn't know what it's called. I'll impress him next time I see him. :)

I love the first track on Rust in Peace, Holy Wars, if you're taking requests. :)

Tracii G
08-30-2012, 11:28 PM
Kali Mick is what I would call a solid player he can do flashy stuff but he chooses to do what works for the band.
With all his health problems he still gets up there and puts on a show.Live they sound soo good.

Reine I'm sure he will love that!

shayleetv
08-31-2012, 03:18 AM
So are we going to just talk about it or are we going to hear something. You should play what ever turns the creative juices in your fingers. I spent 30 years doing art work for other people and the best work I did was just for me after I retired. Let it be your own self and just go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

Kaz
08-31-2012, 04:57 AM
I managed to miss all this! I was out at a work do last night, in bed at 4am and doing some Kaz time before I head back home for the weekend.

A group of us wound up in a music bar listening to awesomeness for far too long. One of the group is a Turkish shredder into serious metal... me I am more Satriani, Johnson, Robben Ford, Gary Moore... but I love all great guitar work!

I'm a Mesa Boogie fan, and am cool with my main three... Ibanez Jem 7 (basic but does the biz), a 1972 Les Paul Custom, and a JV Strat... played lots of others but these three do all I need on stage!

I have done bigger rigs but these babies have been rocking around most of the UK for a long while! Simple... plug it in and go!

xdressed
08-31-2012, 06:23 AM
On a similar topic anyone heard of a band called Moi Dix Mois? A Japanese Gothic Metal band who are crossdressers, and my god they are passable. No shredding or thrash but I think you might be interested.

RachelRoxx
08-31-2012, 10:33 AM
Ok, first two song are going to be Megadeths "Holy Wars" since a lot of you like that one and Eric Johnsons "Cliffs of Dover." Stay tuned in the coming week for the first video! Thanks for the support girls, love you all!

Tracii G
08-31-2012, 11:41 AM
Thank you Rachel!! Two great choices.

RachelRoxx
08-31-2012, 11:54 AM

Alex Sholenick is an amzing guitar player and one of my favorites. His solo on Disciples is awesome.

RachelRoxx
08-31-2012, 11:57 AM

Absolutely not! Youre right, a solo only works in the context of a song. Like Yngwie Malmsteen, love him but sometimes he just shreds, no feeling, no soul just pure speed. You can write the greatest solo ever but if it doesnt have the right song around it it usually doesnt work. The drums, the bass, the rythm guitar all play as much a part in the solo as the actual solo. Thats why the greats are great, they hear a song and can build an amazing piece of guitar work into it.

RachelRoxx
08-31-2012, 12:06 PM
King James (Hetfield, that is), lost the ability to sing when he cut his hair. Myself, I only played accustic. A few of us guys used to play in some clubs around Memphis in the early '70's. Mostly for drinks and tips. Now excuse me, but all this ax talk has me wanting to put on an SRV cd.

So youre saying hair loss coinsides with losing the ability to sing? lol. Has nothing to do with age or anything?

RachelRoxx
08-31-2012, 12:07 PM

Love Crue but never liked KISS. Theyre to gimmiky for me. Its about the music not costumes and fireworks. Im sure they put on a great show but theyve been riding two songs their entire carreer.

RachelRoxx
08-31-2012, 12:14 PM
Oh Testament are on my playlist too.
I'm 80' 90's metal all the way but I like other music too so I listen to a lot of different styles.
I tend to play with more feeling these days maybe I'm slowing down hell I'll be 60 next month.
Still be heading out to a 3 day rock festival next month and bang my head.Hope its not on the amps LOL.

Stop lying, 60? You dont look a day over 40! I usally like old metal but theres some good bands out there. Trivuim, 3 Inches of Blood, Lamb of God, Shadows Fall, Killswitch Engage, Avenged Sevenfold, just to name a few.

RachelRoxx
08-31-2012, 12:17 PM

I certainly see where you are coming from. There is a lot of highly technical stuff that doesn't move me at all. But, of course, that's the beauty of music - what moves some people can fail to connect with others entirely. While many people (myself included) may find Yngwie's music, for example, to be largely soulless shredding, I think you'd be hard pressed to argue that Yngwie himself finds what he does to be devoid of feeling. And at the end of the day, if someone connects with it, well, mission accomplished. Personally, I find musical validity across a wide spectrum - from Dream Theater to Nirvana to Van Halen to The Roots to Shpongle. There's SO much good stuff out there!

Yngwi does have a lot of just shredding but his first album is full of feeling. If far beyond the sun and icarus dream suite o. 5 doesnt move you you have no soul! lol

jenny76
08-31-2012, 12:23 PM
wow, girls playin Megadeth and Celtic Frost..lookin forward to seeing this :) I can rock some Mercyful Fate and Iron Maiden on my bass \m/

RachelRoxx
08-31-2012, 12:23 PM
I played this at my cousins wedding while the bridal party was announced at the reception. It was awesome. Just me and a drum machine and a quartet. Was one of the coolest things ive ever done. She had said she wanted PAchabels Canon in D minor to play while she walked down the isle and i suggested Canon Rock for the reception and she loved it. Theres video of it somewhere, ill ask her if i can get it and post it here, even though im in a suit and tie playing it.lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by8oyJztzwo

Leah Lynn
09-01-2012, 12:12 AM
So youre saying hair loss coinsides with losing the ability to sing? lol. Has nothing to do with age or anything?

Not really. I was losing interest about that time. I do listen to some classic rock yet. My tastes are pretty much eclectic, but I still refuse to accept rap and hip hop as actual music.

Jeannie
09-01-2012, 12:31 AM

If wasn't for Les Paul and Chet Atkins music would not be the way it is today. Not only did Les Paul invent the electric guitar but he also was responsible for multi- track recording,and the accurate turn table (made out of a Buick flywheel) for playing records, vinyl I believe it's called today. He was a master guitarist and was emulated by everyone now and then. Chet Atkins just about or did own RCA records in Nashville and invented many of the recording and engineering techniques that lead way to state of the art recording studios used today. Chet is responsible for many careers that started in Nashville, Jerry Reed for one. Both of these men were innovators and master musicians and will be terribly missed. You tube them and watch for yourselves. Sorry to go on like this but we as musicians should never forget how this all started and should always pay homage to the inventors of our trade. I don't play dressed because my boobs get in the way and just seems weird for some reason. Hugs to all!!!!

Tracii G
09-01-2012, 01:24 AM
Speaking of Canon TSO are pretty freakin awesome.I love classical music and to turn it into metal is very cool.
Savatage was one of my faves because they did this. TSO is pretty much the remnants of Savatage LOL
Rachel do you have anything posted on Sound Cloud?
Seems this site won't let you post a sound cloud clip.
Les and Chet are very cool IMO I will miss both of them too.

linda allen
09-01-2012, 06:17 AM
If wasn't for Les Paul and Chet Atkins music would not be the way it is today. Not only did Les Paul invent the electric guitar but he also was responsible for multi- track recording,and the accurate turn table (made out of a Buick flywheel) for playing records, vinyl I believe it's called today. He was a master guitarist and was emulated by everyone now and then. Chet Atkins just about or did own RCA records in Nashville and invented many of the recording and engineering techniques that lead way to state of the art recording studios used today. Chet is responsible for many careers that started in Nashville, Jerry Reed for one. Both of these men were innovators and master musicians and will be terribly missed. You tube them and watch for yourselves. Sorry to go on like this but we as musicians should never forget how this all started and should always pay homage to the inventors of our trade. I don't play dressed because my boobs get in the way and just seems weird for some reason. Hugs to all!!!!

Finally! Another "musician" heard from.

Growing up, my parents had Glen Miller, Benny Goodman, Frank Sinatra, Andrews Sisters, etc. "record albums" (Yes albums). Ten or so records in a book with sleeves. You took them out and stacked them on the record changer in order and after each song, another would drop into place and play. After they finished, you took the pile off, flipped it over and played the other sides.

My point being, that was music. Music with a melody. Music written and played by musicians who could play in all the keys. Music played by musicians who didn't need a dozen or more electronic pedals and effects to make them sound good.

xdressed
09-01-2012, 09:55 AM

Growing up, my parents had Glen Miller, Benny Goodman, Frank Sinatra, Andrews Sisters, etc. "record albums" (Yes albums). Ten or so records in a book with sleeves. You took them out and stacked them on the record changer in order and after each song, another would drop into place and play. After they finished, you took the pile off, flipped it over and played the other sides.

My point being, that was music. Music with a melody. Music written and played by musicians who could play in all the keys. Music played by musicians who didn't need a dozen or more electronic pedals and effects to make them sound good.

You can't say that metal isn't music or has no melody, and few very metal bands need loads of pedals. Generally it's just distortion on and they're good to go. In fact a lot of the 'shredders' are basically playing classical music in a metal way, and even extreme bands like Cynic, Atheist, Naked City and Shining (the Norwegian band not the Swedish one) have clear influences of jazz. Not to mention the entire Folk Metal scene. Listen to something like this song by Empyrium (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl7178DKLrQ&feature=related) you can't say that's not music with melody, this used to make me cry back when I was in a much darker place.

OK rant over lol, here's a picture of me in my only fem sized metal t-shirt, a tour shirt for Deicide that my guitarist got me from Deathfest \m/

linda allen
09-01-2012, 09:59 AM
I should have just stayed out of this thread in the first place, obviously it's for a different generation.

But tell me please, what does "distortion" have to do with music?

xdressed
09-01-2012, 10:17 AM
I should have just stayed out of this thread in the first place, obviously it's for a different generation.

The most dedicated metalheads I know are in their 40s and 50s, and Ozzy Osbourne himself is in his 60s. I don't think any music truly only for a certain generation. Hell even my mum said she actually quite like Gojira.

What does dressing up as a woman have to be with being a man? It's just a personal preference really. A lot of metal bands sing about political issues, hypocrisy of religion, cruelty to animals etc, you need an angry sound for a song like that.

Tracii G
09-01-2012, 10:23 AM
If you talk to music teachers/ instructors in music theory Bach and Paganini were the metal players of their day.Out of the box playing and composing styles and yet they are considered classical.
All distortion is is using the pre-amp section of a guitar amplifier to push the signal or "drive" it.Les Paul,Chet Atkins,Carl Perkins of the 50's loved the over driven sound to some degree. The Ventures,Duane Eddy, Beach Boys of the 60's did it.The Beatles,Rolling Stones,most all your 70's bands were all driving the amps hard to get that "break up" or signal distortion.
Metal of today has taken that farther and with alternate tunings they have created something different.
Jazz and country use over driven/distorted amps too always have to some degree.Marty Stewart,Johnny Cash,Waylon Jennings etc.
I'll be 60 this month and I go all the way back to American Bandstand on TV and music has been my passion all my life.So I'm so old school and love all styles of music.
The metal music now is as good as anything out there its just different and progressing as music should.
You would be surprised how many metal players love Chet and Les and count them as influences.

xdressed
09-01-2012, 10:34 AM
Back on topic a bit, a metal cover of 'Man I Feel Like A Woman' would be awesome.

Tracii G
09-01-2012, 10:46 AM
Back on topic a bit, a metal cover of 'Man I Feel Like A Woman' would be awesome.

Great idea!! Yes it would be awesome.

RachelRoxx
09-01-2012, 11:17 AM

Youre obviouslyu going by what you think metal is. Chuggy heavily distorted riffs and screaming. And yes there is a lof of bands like that but some of the best guitarists of all time were in metal bands and list classical musicians and guys like Chet, Django and people like that as influences. Just because its different than what youre used to doesnt mean its not music. Real metal lead guitarists dont have as you say "a ton of pedals", its usually just some kind of noise gate, a distortion pedal and an amp. And these guys dont just play anything, they are extremely talented and well versed in theory, composition, scales, modes, patterns, melodies. Listen to some solos, by Alex Sholenick, MArty Friedman, Kirk HAmmet, Randy Rhoads, Yngwie, Satch, Vai, i could go on and on, and if you dont hear the talent involved in constructing a piece of music like that, well, youre tone deaf. lol. Youre generalizing metal music into something its not. Me, i play with a guitar, a wah pedal, noise gate to reduce ambient sound and an amp. Thats it. And I can play in every key, every mode. You would be really surprised at the many different kinds of music a metal guitarist can play. They pull influences from Jazz, Blues, Country, Rock, Classical. I may not be a Chet Atkins or a Les Paul fan but I respect the daylights out of those guys. I know if it wasnt for guys like that a lot of what i listen to wouldnt be around. Like I said just because you dont like it or its not what you prefer doesnt mean they arent musicians or its not good. Open up a bit and im sure youd be surprised at whats out there. Dont generalize metal into just distortion and screaming because its not. Metal has taken its place rightfully in the pantheon of great music and musicians for a reason. Garbage music doesnt sell billion and billions of albums. Crap music may sell a lot at first because people are dumb but it goes away pretty quickly. Theres a reason why the great metal bands of the 80's are still around, they were awesome. Honestly though Im not surprised, not to be a dick but younger people are a lot more open minded about things like music. Older people tend to be stuck in a period and anything outside that is crap to them. I like music going back 200 years. You seem to only like music in a 30 year period. Expand your ears and i am positive you will find something new you love.

RachelRoxx
09-01-2012, 11:25 AM

Its just a different sound, It was bound to happen, musicians are always looking for way to push their equipment and instruments further. It has everything to do with music, its what music is about. Pusing boundaries, pushing the norm to change music forever. If musicians never tried doing anything different we would still be in the 1800's music wise. And honestly, you can blame Les Paul for it. He made the electric guitar what it is today. If it wasnt for him their wouldnt be distortion. So even someone you like can spawn music you dont like. Thats the beauty of music, everything is connected somehow, someway.

Darline
09-01-2012, 11:59 AM
https://7chan.org/di/src/133669236259.jpg
TS metal rocker :D

Ressie
09-01-2012, 12:27 PM
Shredding is about playing fast. There's more emphasis on technique than being melodic. It's true that players like Yngwie, borrowed from Classical music, but most Classical music wasn't about playing super fast. Shredding was big in the '80s nearly 30 years ago, so it isn't anything new. VanHalen was an innovator in the late '70s - even though it wasn't metal he played, his fast techniques caught the attention of guitar students. By 1990 music went in the opposite direction with guitarists playing very basic melodies, which gave more incentive to newbies that were baffled by the shredders..

But I concur the best songs were written from the 20s-40s. There were better lyrics, more melody, and a better marriage between lyric and composition. And the Jazz musicians... wow!

Kaz
09-01-2012, 12:27 PM

Linda, It isn't a generational thing at all... Tracii and I are well old. Distortion in guitar land refers to a particular guitar tone that people like Clapton started in the 60s and the heavy metal bands took further... In what we call classical music people have always sought different 'sounds'. Classical music isn't classical at all it is just old. Mozart wasn't writing for us so we could think it was 'classical'... he was a jobbing composer trying to make a buck by being different - and he pissed off the music elite of his day!

I am not a fan of Metallica, but they have actually recorded some brilliant material ( a lot crap as well imho - but there you go!) - I bet Schubert had his off days!

I posted a pic of my Mesa Boogie combo amplifier earlier in this thread... Les Paul and Chet Atkins used amplifiers (they were amongst the first)... mine has three 'gain' stages, so I can generate different tonalities by overdriving the valves so they create a less 'clean' sound that I can use to complement the cleaner tonalities I use. The guitar you see also allows many different tonal ranges through the pick-up arrangement (pick-ups are what turn the guitar string movement into sound)... Les Paul was an inventor of the electric guitar and my fave guitar in my collection is my 1972 Les Paul Custom. And then there are effects units to further shape the sound. Rock music, in all its variants, is a complex business... and we haven't even started on bass, keyboards, drums, vocals, etc...!

So just as an orchestral composer would choose different instruments for different expressions of the music... so do guitarists use different sound effects to create a broader range of sounds...

Rant over! :D

Kaz
09-01-2012, 12:39 PM
Shredding is about playing fast. There's more emphasis on technique than being melodic. It's true that players like Yngwie, borrowed from Classical music, but most Classical music wasn't about playing super fast. Shredding was big in the '80s nearly 30 years ago, so it isn't anything new. VanHalen was an innovator in the late '70s - even though it wasn't metal he played, his fast techniques caught the attention of guitar students. By 1990 music went in the opposite direction with guitarists playing very basic melodies, which gave more incentive to newbies that were baffled by the shredders..

But I concur the best songs were written from the 20s-40s. There were better lyrics, more melody, and a better marriage between lyric and composition. And the Jazz musicians... wow!

There is a big debate on shredding these days... Many of my younger students refer to shredding as guitar soloing/ad libbing - not just playing fast. I have always loved to play fast, but interspersed with melodic lines in the same way the great jazz legends have done. Listen to Allan Holdsworth... a highly revered jazz guitarist.. overdrive/distortion, some of the fastest playing on the planet, but what tone and musicality! Not metal, but has inspired many metal players. When guitarists get together... these genres (metal, thrash, blues, rock... whatever...) fall away. My Turkish student is into the harsher end of thrash metal... but we were doing air guitar the other night, trading riffs, listening to AC/DC, the Doors, the Who, Foo Fighters, White Stripes, you name it... the range was huge.. and loving it! And we were both watching each other's fingers on Back in Black to see who got it RIGHT!

And I still think Coltrane shredded that sax like no-one!

xdressed
09-01-2012, 01:25 PM
There is a big debate on shredding these days... Many of my younger students refer to shredding as guitar soloing/ad libbing - not just playing fast. I have always loved to play fast, but interspersed with melodic lines in the same way the great jazz legends have done. Listen to Allan Holdsworth... a highly revered jazz guitarist.. overdrive/distortion, some of the fastest playing on the planet, but what tone and musicality! Not metal, but has inspired many metal players. When guitarists get together... these genres (metal, thrash, blues, rock... whatever...) fall away. My Turkish student is into the harsher end of thrash metal... but we were doing air guitar the other night, trading riffs, listening to AC/DC, the Doors, the Who, Foo Fighters, White Stripes, you name it... the range was huge.. and loving it! And we were both watching each other's fingers on Back in Black to see who got it RIGHT!

Playing with extreme speed on a guitar is called tremlo (not sure on the spelling) picking, common modern metal technique particularly with the heavier and harsher bands.

Tracii G
09-01-2012, 02:56 PM
Tremelo is basically changing pitch up or down a 1/2 step or so using the bridge or your fingers.
Speed is just playing fast and takes alternate picking which is cool.I sure can't do it right and I've been playing a long time.
Metal players are blessed with speed a dexterity.

jenny76
09-01-2012, 04:51 PM
there are some REALLY talented musicians in metal.. its also how "pigsqueals" were invented ; )

Kaz
09-01-2012, 05:03 PM
there are some REALLY talented musicians in metal.. its also how "pigsqueals" were invented ; )

And divebombs? Though Hendrix really got there first!!!

xdressed
09-01-2012, 05:15 PM
And divebombs? Though Hendrix really got there first!!!

Hendrix is much the prototype for most of the metal bands that came after him

I also think it's worth mentioning that people don't realise how diverse metal is, for example here's a song from my solo project Lifting of the Veil: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VORB0PMuFUA

About the only thing that has in common with say, Helloween, is that they are both long songs based around the guitar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5aIZv-Auxk

eric45211
09-01-2012, 05:41 PM
70's metal is todays lite rock. It seems to progress over time as the equipment improves and you do not have to do so much experimentation to get the sound you are looking for. Wes montegomery was probably considered metalish in his day. My preference is to play and write music with feeling and emotion. Recently heard a remake of of Joe Walsh's Rocky mountain way, they completely missed what he put into the song. It is louder and faster but lacked the passion of the original.

Kaz
09-01-2012, 05:54 PM
70's metal is todays lite rock. It seems to progress over time as the equipment improves and you do not have to do so much experimentation to get the sound you are looking for. Wes montegomery was probably considered metalish in his day. My preference is to play and write music with feeling and emotion. Recently heard a remake of of Joe Walsh's Rocky mountain way, they completely missed what he put into the song. It is louder and faster but lacked the passion of the original.

Passion is the thing for me... widdelydiddlying is fun, but for me it has got have soul. Enter Light may have been a bit 'sell out' for hardened Metallica fans, but that song is awesome and brings out the passion in the band - especially live! And Brian Robertson in Lizzy - awesome! Not metal, but passionate guitar...

We all need to get our gladrags on and get playing!

How many guitarist to change a light-bulb? 1 to do it and 99 to discuss how Eric Clapton would have done it! Or maybe in this case Zakk Wylde!

Saffron
09-01-2012, 06:36 PM
How come no one said anything about Queen?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn9E-HpTi4E

I also love Muse:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTFVF6Yis6g

Matt Bellamy has some skill :)

and last but not least, Joan Jett, goddess of rock'n'roll:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RAQXg0IdfI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3T_xeoGES8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbiYv_lNfFA

xdressed
09-01-2012, 07:31 PM
How come no one said anything about Queen?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn9E-HpTi4E

I also love Muse:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTFVF6Yis6g

Matt Bellamy has some skill :)

and last but not least, Joan Jett, goddess of rock'n'roll:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RAQXg0IdfI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3T_xeoGES8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbiYv_lNfFA

Queen was the first band I ever liked, and even though I'm mainly into Thrash/Black/Doom Metal etc Muse is actually my favourite band

Tracii G
09-01-2012, 08:08 PM
Music is all good to me!!

RachelRoxx
09-01-2012, 08:17 PM

Bach shredded, Page shredded, you get the idea. Me an all my guitar playing friends refer to ourselves as Knights of the Shredi Order. Shredi Knights. You get the pun.lol

RachelRoxx
09-01-2012, 08:33 PM
Queen was the first band I ever liked, and even though I'm mainly into Thrash/Black/Doom Metal etc Muse is actually my favourite band

Brian May had one of the greatest tones of all time. And he built his own guitars. Dude had skills!