PDA

View Full Version : Becoming 'no big deal'.

Cristi
08-31-2012, 04:09 PM
So I went out shopping today and I can assure you that I do NOT pass. But even though I was in a Summer dress, stockings and heels w/ full makeup (and am over 6' tall and 220lbs) and long dangling earrings, I did not get even one lingering look or bad reaction.

Edit: Just realized as I posted this that the dress I am wearing today is the one in my profile photo.

I bought things at several stores, asked questions of sales people, and was out for probably 2-3 hours total. I also used the fitting room (women's) at Kohls to try on a few dresses, one of which I bought.

I know that it is difficult for those who have not been able to make this leap to realize this yet, but I just wanted to add my voice to the chorus of people saying 'It is no big deal. The world does not end'. It is amazing that within minutes of being out, what you are wearing just becomes a non-issue. I was strolling up and down main street window shopping with a slight breeze blowing my dress around.

I guess I could use the tired but appropriate phrase 'Just do it!' You only live once!

It may be that I'm in a very Liberal area in the Northeast... but I just, in 12 years, have not had a single memorable bad experience being out.

Conclusion: The ONLY trouble I had today was the gusty wind that picked up in the parking lot toward the end of the day. It became a bit of a task to keep my dress down and I made my way back to the car after my last stop.

STACY B
08-31-2012, 04:13 PM
Must be the Moon ? Its that time again ,,, One things for sure ya cant say ya aint been out now ,,, Now lets talk about whats next ,,,,Ha,,,Ha,, Oh ,,,Ya didn't think that was it did ya ? No,,,No,,, It gets better trust me ,,, Outfit after outfit an then the shoes an makeup an on,,,on,,,on,,, So lets get started shall we ? Ill get my purse ,,,,,

Kate Simmons
08-31-2012, 04:15 PM
Glad you had a good time Hon. Yeah, that wind tends to be pesky at times.:)

reb.femme
08-31-2012, 04:38 PM
Agree and disagree with the sentiment and not trying to be confrontational, but only this week, we have seen a post of the complete a$r3 giving Tracii G (People with ugly attitudes) a hard time. Unfortunately, a thousand positives can be disproportionately affected by one nasty incident.

I too have been out and about and whilst I got glances, I brushed off any small negativity. Going out is a very personal experience and is not for everyone. It's an either you do or you don't. I'm glad you had an excellent time and maybe Tracii G can handle this, but for some 'It is no big deal. The world does not end' is easier said than done.

As an aside, body shape wise, you look quite GG in appearance from your avatar.

Rebecca x

Lainie
08-31-2012, 04:47 PM
Cristi,

Have to agree with you. I don't wear makeup--pointless with the handlebar mustache--but routinely have gone out in skirts & dresses, with no reaction or smiles or casual compliments about my shoes or accessories.

But reb.femme is right, too--Y'all looking good, girl, doin' fine for us old ladies.

BLUE ORCHID
08-31-2012, 04:51 PM
Hi Cristi, It just goes to show that the rest of the world is in their own little world.

Cynthia Anne
08-31-2012, 05:35 PM
That's great Cristi! Glad you had such a good time!

TeresaL
08-31-2012, 06:09 PM
Waddayamean you don't pass, you just did pass. :cheer::cheer:

Nicole Erin
08-31-2012, 06:11 PM
There is the whole "passing is about confidence" debate.
I feel it is true that confidence won't help with true "passing" but it WILL help keep the haters at bay.

Seriously though, who is going to want to piss off a 6 foot 220 pound guy who is brave enough to wear a dress in public?

So you are 6 foot tall and had heels and stockings? Umm, oh nevermind, my mind is in the gutter

MissTee
08-31-2012, 10:56 PM
It's likely the demographics. Wouldn't try that in the deep south. Atlanta maybe.

docrobbysherry
08-31-2012, 11:13 PM
Agree and disagree with the sentiment and not trying to be confrontational, but only this week, we have seen a post of the complete a$r3 giving Tracii G (People with ugly attitudes) a hard time. Unfortunately, a thousand positives can be disproportionately affected by one nasty incident.

I too have been out and about and whilst I got glances, I brushed off any small negativity. Going out is a very personal experience and is not for everyone. It's an either you do or you don't. I'm glad you had an excellent time and maybe Tracii G can handle this, but for some 'It is no big deal. The world does not end' is easier said than done.

As an aside, body shape wise, you look quite GG in appearance from your avatar.

Rebecca x

Thank u, Rebecca! Jumping out of airplanes is NO BIG DEAL for those that have done it a hundred or more times either! Could I jump out of an airplane? Maybe! Would I enjoy it? Probably not! I would be way too stressed before and during the jump! So, why bother?

Have I gone out in vanilla land dressed? Yes! Did I enjoy it? Not much! I was way too stressed out before and during! So, why bother?

If I dress at home it's not only stress free, it's actually A LOT OF FUN!

IngeInCO
08-31-2012, 11:17 PM
Awesome! I've only gone out a couple times. The weird thing is that it wasn't too scary.

Rachel Morley
08-31-2012, 11:34 PM
'Just do it!' You only live once!
Sounds like you are either passable or that you are "close enough" that people are comfortable treating you as the gender that they know you want to present as. I do also agree with you that it most definitely is a case of "just do it, you only live once" ... you don't want to be at the end of your life (and no one knows when that will be) and have regrets that you never did find out what it was like to go out en femme .. because then it will be to late. Take the risk, and just do it now ... while you can. On your death bed, it's better to regret something you have done that something you haven't done ... especially if it's something you have always wondered about.