PDA

View Full Version : Names

Kimberlyfaye
09-02-2012, 02:23 PM
I just wanted to get some advice on my name. Long story short, my SO doesn't like my name. I used a different name at first and she told me she cant come to terms with me using this name. I only picked it because I liked it and it's closer to my name. But I do like my original name too. I'm considering going back to it so she can feel a little better about my femme side. Isaid both names to myself earlier and I think my old one does suit better.

What do you think?

Hugs x

Katie83
09-02-2012, 02:26 PM
What was your old name?
Katie

reb.femme
09-02-2012, 02:29 PM
What was your old name?
Katie

Ditto on that Mikayla.

Reb x

Kimberlyfaye
09-02-2012, 02:31 PM
It used to be Kimberly. Or Kim

reb.femme
09-02-2012, 02:49 PM
It used to be Kimberly. Or Kim

I'll go with Mikayla.

Reb x

Ashley D.
09-02-2012, 03:07 PM
I like Mikayla bur I like Kimberly too thats my SOs name.

Jocelyn Quivers
09-02-2012, 03:17 PM
Go with Kimberly. Upon the first 2 seconds of looking at your avatar, the name fit's you well. Kimberly:thumbsup:

Kim D.
09-02-2012, 03:24 PM
I really like Kimberly you look like a Kimmie

Marguarite
09-02-2012, 03:30 PM
Now for something really different ----- Michelle my Belle , ( Beatles, long time ago) to me it fits

BRANDYJ
09-02-2012, 03:32 PM
I'd go with whatever my SO wants my name to be. That's why over the course of 40 years I've gone from Janice to Bridget to finally Brandy. It might seem like a small concession to make, but I have always wanted my SO's acceptance, understanding and participation. By going with a name she likes is allowing her participation in that small way. Sometimes it's not as important as to what you like or want, but what your SO likes or wants. I love my SO very much, so when she suggested the name Brandy for me, it was a no brainer to switch names to please her. Since it pleases her, I have grown to really like the name Brandy too.
So needless to say, I vote on Kimberly or Kim. Personally, I like to better then Mikayla any way. I even had to scroll up to be sure of how to spell Mikayla! lol

Silmaril
09-02-2012, 06:57 PM
I can't speak with authority, but my understanding is that in neo-pagan circles, it's not unusual to have a name you use publicly and a second "secret name" that you use privately, like in meditating or performing magik and such. I've always liked the idea. I think it would be impossible to overestimate the value of SO buy-in, so my suggestion is that you go with Kimberly, but keep Mikayla in your heart as your secret name.

linda allen
09-02-2012, 07:50 PM
I just wanted to get some advice on my name. Long story short, my SO doesn't like my name. I used a different name at first and she told me she cant come to terms with me using this name. I only picked it because I liked it and it's closer to my name. But I do like my original name too. I'm considering going back to it so she can feel a little better about my femme side. Isaid both names to myself earlier and I think my old one does suit better.

What do you think?

I think it's pretty shallow relationship if your "SO" can't accept your name. But if it bothers her, why not let her select a name for you?

I would love for my wife to call me by a feminine name.

I can't speak with authority, but my understanding is that in neo-pagan circles, it's not unusual to have a name you use publicly and a second "secret name" that you use privately,.

Some groups in the USA do the same, a given name and a "street name". It's mostly to throw the police off. "Black", "Lil' Kevin", "June Bug", etc.

BLUE ORCHID
09-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Hi Mikayla, So as not to P!$$ off your SO ask her what name she would like.

Cynthia Anne
09-02-2012, 10:25 PM
I would go with a name your SO is comfortable with! I can't think of anything that would be sweeter then have an SO to give me a fem name! I would cherrish that! Hugs!

Jorja
09-02-2012, 11:36 PM
Oh let's really get the SO going. Go with something like Gertrude or Penelope. :)

Just kidding. Looking at your avatar, Kimberly does seem to fit.

heatherdress
09-03-2012, 01:11 AM
Let her pick your name. The more she participates, the more supporting and accepting she will be.

Amanda_P
09-03-2012, 01:56 AM
I like Kimberly myself but go with whichever one your comfortable with

Kimberlyfaye
09-03-2012, 03:54 AM
My SO accepts me no matter what. The only problem is mainly my fault really. It's not major but she just doesn't like this name. I used Kim for a long time and she just got used to it. I can remember using Kimberly when I started dressing so it's always been in my head. I switched to Mikayla because it was closer to my own name and I liked it. But I think I've always been Kim. My SO prefers it and says I'm Kimberly to her. So I think I should change back. It seems Kim has got most of the votes on here.

katstar
09-03-2012, 04:12 AM
I think Kim suits you more as well :) You look like a Kim.

Sandra1746
09-03-2012, 06:05 AM
If your SO likes it that is a positive factor.

I chose my name because I have been called Sandy for my entire life; my mother was big on 'nicknames'. Sandra was the logical extension. It also works a lot better with my wife as she has been calling me Sandy since we met. It made "coming out" a little less traumatic.

Just my thoughts,
Sandra1746

Shelly Preston
09-03-2012, 06:13 AM
I suggest you sit down and discuss it with your SO

Yu can come up with a name together or you can have something like

Kimberly Ann or Mary Ellen which combines the names you both like that way she will get used to using the name she likes and so will you while keeping the name you like

Marissa
09-03-2012, 06:22 AM
Wow, I so love this question..who are we???? are we who we 'want' to be..or who someone else 'says' we are????

My original name was Cassie.. not sure why..maybe it had to do with my two daughters having a names that start with C's or my last name begining with a C..who knows, but I thought it was great for me.. until..

I took my ex shopping for makeup and such..yes for both of us.. after we stopped at Red Robins (yes, they paid me to say that..lol) for a burger and I showed her pics of me.. she always said I'd make an ugly girl until she saw the pics.. she was impressed.. (pat myself on the back or behind..), then she asked about my name. I told her and she thought it over and said "No, that name doesn't fit you".. ok.. uhhhh..who am I then? "Marissa"..what? why? uhhhh yes..that is sweet and...me..

So she gave me the name that I so love.. maybe if Kim is who you are to your SO, then be it so..if you can come to terms with it.. talk to her..ask her.. and then breath :)

I see Mikayla as a name with one who has mystery.. as in hiding something. so if you are not hiding from your SO..maybe Kim is the way to go..or another agreable name..

Good luck in your decision..wish you the best..

Hugs,
Marissa

Raychel
09-03-2012, 06:27 AM
I would be hapy with whatever my SO was happy with. That so a great sign of acceptance, andthe alone would make me very happy.

Katie83
09-03-2012, 09:11 AM
I'd go for Kimberly personally. In my mind 'K' is a feminine letter and looks nice when written down. But go with the name you're happiest with.
Katie

NicoleScott
09-03-2012, 09:24 AM
Ask her to submit several names she likes, and you can choose the one you like. Gotta keep the accepting partner happy.

Kimberlyfaye
09-03-2012, 02:38 PM
Kimberly it is ladies :) But I want to keep the Faye in there. I like Faye