PDA

View Full Version : Finasteride

NatalieGirl
09-06-2012, 04:14 PM
I asked my doctor today for a scrip for Finasteride, to help deter baldness. I have very long hair and don't want to lose it.

My doctor was happy to write the scrip but he cautioned me there can be bad side effects including weight gain.

Have any of you had bad side effects from Finasteride?

GaleWarning
09-06-2012, 04:22 PM
I don't know how old you are, but if your hair shows no sign of receding by the age of, say, 25, the chances are good that you will always have a good head of hair.
I am so blessed!
Unnecessary drugs ought to be avoided, IMHO.

Persephone
09-06-2012, 04:28 PM
I don't know, I've gained some and lost some and really didn't try to correlate it with finasteride. Could be. Don't know.

But I love the stuff! It has saved my hair and helped keep my prostate in check. Probably killed off my leg hair, so I never have to shave most of my legs.

Your individual effects will vary.

Hugs,
Persephone.

Jennifer Cox
09-06-2012, 04:29 PM
I asked my doctor today for a scrip for Finasteride, to help deter baldness. I have very long hair and don't want to lose it.

My doctor was happy to write the scrip but he cautioned me there can be bad side effects including weight gain.

Have any of you had bad side effects from Finasteride?

No - unless you include a small amount of breast development. :)

Must admit to gaining a little weight, but TBH I think it's entirely down to diet & lack of exercise.

I don't know how old you are, but if your hair shows no sign of receding by the age of, say, 25, the chances are good that you will always have a good head of hair.
I am so blessed!
Unnecessary drugs ought to be avoided, IMHO.

Then you're lucky! Although I agree with the bit about not taking unnecessary drugs.

Stephenie S
09-06-2012, 04:52 PM
You should have no real problems. You didn't mention a dose, and we are not allowed to discuss doses here. But the needed dose to fight alopecia (male pattern baldness) is quite low, so I cannot imagine that there would be any serious side effects. I would say that and MAN not wanting to go bald in the future should be on a low dose finasteride. Or dutasteride.

Stephie

sandra-leigh
09-06-2012, 04:53 PM
It isn't clear for me yet, but it seems that it is tiring me during the day (enough so that I have naps.)

Persephone
09-06-2012, 04:59 PM
It isn't clear for me yet, but it seems that it is tiring me during the day (enough so that I have naps.)

Never thought of the finasteride as the culprit, figured it was one of the BP medications that made me a bit tired during the day, but I too love my afternoon nap!

Hugs,
Persephone

sandra-leigh
09-06-2012, 06:05 PM
figured it was one of the BP medications that made me a bit tired during the day

Spiro can be fairly disconcerting that way if the dose is too high for you.

NatalieGirl
09-06-2012, 06:06 PM
Thanks to all of you for responding. I will start on it tomorrow. So we'll see what happens!

Clorissa
09-06-2012, 06:41 PM
Fatigue is my most significant side effect. If I become overly tired, I stay off the drug for awhile or take a smaller dose. Beneficial effects are low blood pressure, sleep deeper and longer, and reduction in body hair. My scalp hair has recovered some. Hair shedding is minimal. Takes time for the body to adjust to the drug as side effects gradually lessen with the same dose. I have no weight gain using food strikes.

Jodi
09-06-2012, 08:21 PM
I have taken finasteride (Proscar) for BPH for about 9 years. When finasteride is prescribed for hair loss it is called propecia, which is a much lower dose than that used for BPH. My stylist noted a thickening of y hair about a year into usage. I have had no weight gain

As noted above in a post, the poster noted being tired. finasteride is a testosterone blocker. One of the big things I have noted is a low energy and drop in labito.

I can live with this. It sure beats the problems I was having with BPH.

Jodi

NatalieGirl
09-06-2012, 11:33 PM
Thanks to all who replied. It sounds like there are as many beneficial side effects as detrimental. Its worth a try.

ReineD
09-07-2012, 12:22 AM
As with everything, the perspective you get depends on where you ask the question.

If you check the non-trans sites, they don't talk about the side effects in terms of feminization although they do list the various risks: prostate cancer, gynecomastia, and sexual side effect such as persistent diminished libido or erectile dysfunction, along with other potential health effects.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finasteride#cite_note-pmid21176115-15
(Be sure to visit the source material links at the bottom of the page that will take you straight to the scientific studies.)

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/finasteride-side-effects.html

http://www.menshealth.com/health/hair-raising-effect

But, if you go to a site devoted to helping TSs to transition, finasteride is mentioned as an anti-androgen, and looking at it in this light, the same effects are seen as being rather beneficial:

http://www.transgendercare.com/medical/resources/tmf_program/tmf_program_regimens.asp

So I suppose it all depends on your personal goals and also the dosage.

docrobbysherry
09-07-2012, 01:16 AM
Been taking 5mg finasteride for about 15 years. Switched to dutasteride the end of last year. Have suffered no known side effects. However, I started dressing about the same time.

Libido: Had lost interested in sex until Sherry came along. 15 years later at age 60+, still have healthy desire!
Hair: May have helped grow it in my nose and ears. Nowhere else.
Energy: No apparent effect
Breast growth: Zero

NatalieGirl
11-15-2012, 12:10 PM
Update:

I have been taking the finasteride daily for about 2 months now. I haven't noticed any effects at all.

I understand it may take longer for results to show. I hope it can prevent my hair from falling out.

reb.femme
11-15-2012, 02:29 PM
If you check the non-trans sites, they don't talk about the side effects in terms of feminization although they do list the various risks: prostate cancer, gynecomastia, and sexual side effect such as persistent diminished libido or erectile dysfunction, along with other potential health effects.

That's me staying with male pattern baldness then! :straightface:

Rebecca

Jodi
11-18-2012, 06:18 PM
Update:

I have been taking the finasteride daily for about 2 months now. I haven't noticed any effects at all.

I understand it may take longer for results to show. I hope it can prevent my hair from falling out.

If youlook at the info provided with finasteride , it can take up to 6 months for the blood levels to reach therapeutic levels.

Jodi

TeresaL
11-18-2012, 09:27 PM
I started taking finasteride for BPH last May, a week before joining this site, and had been on a two year haitus prior to that. Side effects for me are: Low libido plus other things that went wrong with my mental state and privates. (elaboration deleted)