PDA

View Full Version : Dear Abby, waiter W/ make up shocks

Tara D. Rose
09-07-2012, 01:43 PM
My wife pointed this Dear Abby article that came out today. Read the following and let me know what you all think. I put my opinion after the article and some of the posters.

( By Dear Abby
Dear Abby: Last night at a restaurant, my husband and I were surprised to see a male server wearing a blond wig and full makeup.

I was, to say the least, shocked and glad we hadn’t brought the children, ages 11 and 14, with us.

How do you explain something like that to an 11-year-old? The 14-year-old would be able to “get it.”

What kind of policies are in place for restaurants in cases like this? What if customers are offended? Could I request a different server or just leave? Your comments would be appreciated. — Taken Aback In California

Dear Taken Aback: In California, people have the legal right to dress in a style not typical of their gender without fear of discrimination or retaliation. That right is protected by state law. If customers find it offensive, they can either request a different server or take their business elsewhere. Presumably, the customer would pay for food that had already been prepared.

Because children today grow up quickly and are less sheltered than in past decades, I recommend you explain to your 11-year-old not all people are alike, and the importance of treating others with respect. It’s called reality.
Abby

Waiter in drag
must have been a pretty shabby job trying to look like a woman if they could tell he was a guy. My husband would have immediately wanted to leave and if our 12 year old was with us, we would have been laughing our heads off. And for the girl who doesn't want to help out a good guy who is supporting his child, she doesn't deserve him!!)

Tara's feelings on this. I know that sometimes there has been some surveys on here about acceptance. And most answers from most members here say they wouldn't have a problem with this waiter, I would have no problem with this waiter either. I'm just saying that while we are accepting of ourselves, because we are members here. Not really a fair place to find out how the general public feels about us, when those kinds of surveys are taken on here, I think that's a no brainer of course.
But when I read articles like this, where a cd is in the public and being around people that the word cross dresser never enters their mind, then when cd's are seen, then it does seem to lean more towards cd's not really being accepted, and moreover, laughed at or threatened. We accept ourselves and each other. We give each other wisdom, strength, friendship and guidance.

From stories like this one ,and there are many, it's plain to see that it's not the world of cd acceptance like we wish it was. We need more public education and awareness of what we know we are, and less mockery and scrutiny we get in headlines and TV. I guess more time needs to pass, and who knows, maybe
someday.

Tara D. Rose

Tracii G
09-07-2012, 02:15 PM
Maybe the restaurant was having a dress up day? At least they could have asked in a friendly way.
There are some real nasty people out there that get offended over nothing IMO.
Judge, ridicule, demean all in the name of what is supposed to be normal.
I'm so far out of the normal box I scare people it seems like but guess what? I don't worry about it.
I agree with Abby's response.