PDA

View Full Version : "What's wrong about a boy who wears a dress article". (New York Times)

Rebecca W.
09-09-2012, 06:15 AM
Good Morning:
Has anyone else on here read the article in the New York Times magazine on August 12th about parents with young boys who want to wear dresses and do wear them with their parents acceptance?
I have my own personal ups and downs about allowing myself to be free of the social stigma of wanting to be a woman. This article was a real eye opener and it was heartwarming to hear that instead of destroying a young boy who is uncertain about himself and his feelings about expressing himself as a young woman or a boy or something in between. In therapy the rule seems to be not to suppress a person with these desires but to allow the person to be who they feel comfortable being.

Some boys run hot and cold (male/female)just like we do, but their parents allow the child some or all the freedom to choose. I am sure that the article is online and I could ask the "Times" if I could publish the article on here.

I have been in the "middle" all my life and I like to be a man most of the time and I also like the freedom to be a woman when I feel like it.

ichwill038
09-09-2012, 06:34 AM
i would be very interested in reading that article, i did a short google searcha nd not sure if it was on there.

diannecourtney
09-09-2012, 06:53 AM
I love the lovely things girls can wear, I only regret is I did not find them until so late and that my size is not an 8 or so.

Sandra1746
09-09-2012, 06:55 AM
Try this URL:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/12/magazine/whats-so-bad-about-a-boy-who-wants-to-wear-a-dress.html?pagewanted=all[/url]

NOTE, the auto edit on the post feature truncated the URL.

I got directly to the article by GOOGLING the full title in quotes. YMMV however.

It is a good article and very heartwarming, especially the part about the "special" summer camps. I wish society was as understanding in my youth...

Hugs,
Sandra1746

Kate Simmons
09-09-2012, 08:23 AM
We are intended from birth to get in touch will ALL of our feelings, both masculine and feminine and have the experiences of expressing them to eventually become a full spectrum person. Sadly, the societal programming is so deeply entrenched that many have a hard time or will never realize this.This is where many of the problems come in. Regardless of our physical plumbing, we are all two sides of the same coin and if we are successful we will just become a totally functioning person, not "this, that or the other thing" and will be accepted for who we are. :)

Leah Lynn
09-09-2012, 08:49 AM
Interesting article. Finally the mainstream is finding out about us. I wish this open attitude was prevalent when I was four years old. While mentioning the possible drug use/suicide of these kids, has anyone studied the same abuses of the ones that are grown, but were denied the freedoms in their youth? I would be rich if I had the money spent on alcohol and drugs dealing with my fight to deny who I really was (am)!

sometimes_miss
09-09-2012, 08:58 AM
I have been in the "middle" all my life and I like to be a man most of the time and I also like the freedom to be a woman when I feel like it.
I had to snip this one out; mainly, because it's one of the things so many of us men have used when criticizing women who insist on 'equality', because they want both equal opportunities, yet also insist that they be treated like ladies whenever they want as well, wanting men to pay their way on dates, take care of making all arrangements as well, be 100% responsible for birth control while retaining the ultimate decision about what to do about any pregnancies that occur, of course the list goes on and on. So if we can enjoy being males most of the time while retaining all the advantages of it, to ask women to accept that we want the freedom to assume the female role whenever we want really strikes a note of expecting everyone else to do whatever we want them to, whenever we want it. Like the women mentioned above, it's hard to ask the rest of the world to let us have it both ways.

Tina B.
09-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Yesterday I went to my local pride parade, there in the middle of marchers was a child around 11 or 12, white wedding style dress with a blue wig pulled back into a ponytail, after a double take, I realized he/she was the happiest, looking marchers in the parade, she(he) was cute, stood tall and proud, and smiled from ear to ear as long as I could see her. I wish I could have done the same at her age, I might be a more open person now instead of keeping everything inside. Stand up for your kids and let them be who they where meant to be. No little guy is going to dress like that, unless it's important to him.
Tina B.

Jenniferathome
09-09-2012, 10:28 AM
The article was about a German father and son. The son liked to wear dresses and skirts. The family moved to a smaller town and the father was worried about his son being bullied or ostracized so he wore a skirt when walking his son to school. The child, about 5 yeas old is not identifying as a women or girl, he just wears girls clothes at this point.

link to article:

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/dad-protects-son-bullies-wearing-skirt-guess-works-153600107.html

Brianna612
09-09-2012, 11:29 AM
I use to wish that life went differently for me. It would have been great if my parents had accepted me when I was young. When they caught me they sent me to a therapist to fix me. When the therapist told my parents that this was part of me and that he would help them to embrace it, well that was the end of therapy and everything was swept under the rug. Missed opportunity. Fast forward my X found out about my CDing and she said quit or we’re done. She sent out pictures to all my friends and relatives (actually the best thing that ever happened to out me). My Mom asked me ”if they had continued therapy (25 years earlier) would that have made a difference? “ I told her “Don’t go there, it makes no difference now. Just accept who I am from this point on, because it isn’t going to change.” My parents and I have never been closer.

Every human being would like to change things in the past. The important thing is that we grow by making different decisions in the future. Life just keeps getting better because of the trials of the past. This is a giant step forward, she's such a lucky boy.

Rebecca W.
09-09-2012, 12:27 PM
Brianna,
So true about growing with the decisions in the future. From that article, we are in for a positive change on the growing understanding towards cross dressing.

Rebecca

Every human being would like to change things in the past. The important thing is that we grow by making different decisions in the future. Life just keeps getting better because of the trials of the past. This is a giant step forward, she's such a lucky boy.