PDA

View Full Version : Live from the Black Crown in Denver Colorado...

Lorileah
09-09-2012, 10:25 PM
Put your hands together for Miss Lorileah Monet!

:yahoo:

My life is like going to an amusement park and not having to pay. I am trying to get as much in as I can before they close the rides because of the weather.

I am now a "regular" at the Black Crown (if you are ever in Denver you really need to see this place..combination antiques store/ piano lounge) if you call being there three nights a week a regular. I really need a life :) This week it was once again Thurs-Sat.

To keep this part brief, Thursday nights is now Broadway sing along. The pianist has books and she asks people to come up and sing a song from a musical. You don't have to but it is kind of fun. Since there were not too many people I decided to bring the show down a notch with my deep baritone. Kind of freaky to see a 6 foot tall blonde singing so deep. Last week I did a couple songs. To fit the genre and my outfit my first was "Lady is a Tramp" and then although not Broadway as I know I did "Unforgettable". I honestly don't remember what I sang (last minute pick it out of the book thing) Was out of my key a bit but we will look for the song is a slightly lower register. Other than slamming the tip of my finger in the door..it was all uneventful.

Friday night back at the Crown talking to one of the "girls" when we were asked to come and sit with two hetero couples> We told them we would but before we could two young ladies came and sat with us. They wanted to talk about our hair and our make up and...well girl stuff :) I let it slip that I was a veterinarian and for the next 2 hours I was invited to their house (happened to be across the alley) where I showed them how to get their dog from having separation anxieties. It was rather interesting as by the end of the time I had trained the dog to sit, lie down and be calm...where she slept on the toes of my pumps :) Missed most the entertainment back at the bar but there is always Saturday night (cue music).

The pianist doesn't start until 9 and I was ready at 7 so off to Charlies to watch dance lessons (To catch up I don't take the lessons anymore, I can't find anyone tall enough to dance with). Then off to the Crown.

Dan Dobbins has done many musical presentations and directed some. He is very animated and entertaining. He invites people to sing along and if you want to get up in front. It was a slow night in that regard (many people but no one wanted to get up and sing) so....yes the blonde had to break the ice. The songs can be anything so..I chose Lenny Welch's classic "Since I fell for you"

While waiting Dan asked my to sit next to him and help with (actually he wanted everyone to sing) "All that Jazz" so here I am sitting next to Mr Dobbins....187237. My fantasy of being a lounge singer was coming true. One of the other girls took these photos for me.

Then it was time....time to either make the big time....or catch the Greyhound back to Podunk....The girl was on...

Start strong finish strong I always say and that is what I did...and it went over well. Not a standing ovation or contracts from record labels but well.

And so I finished with all my heart...hit the last big note...and it was over. No one threw anything.

But I have the ticket back to Podunk, the bus leaves at 11. I gave it a shot (waiting for last minute rush of the producer to save me!!!)....fade to black. I coulda been a star.
:daydreaming:
I will be on the road next week with a local production. I am a back for "the Girls of St Joes". Sold out one night only, sorry. Look out Broadway...I'll be back!

larry
09-09-2012, 10:31 PM
Thank you very much for sharing. Nice to see someone in the "mainstream" enjoying life...

ColleenCD
09-09-2012, 11:35 PM
Nicely done Lorileah!

Colleen

betty1253
09-09-2012, 11:43 PM
Wow what a good story. Felt like I was there. Like the pics too!

stacycoral
09-10-2012, 12:01 AM
Lori, what story, i only been there on a monday night, next trip to mile high, i will try to do it on a day later in the week, Your pictures look like you were havingtoo much fun girl, happy for you, hugs

bridget thronton
09-10-2012, 01:18 AM
Yay - very nice story and sounds like great fun

Miranda09
09-10-2012, 07:17 AM
You looked great Sis and from your description and photos, sounded like a wonderful time. Glad to see you're enjoying life to the fullest. :)

ArleneRaquel
09-10-2012, 10:32 AM
A lovely story, & pics, from a gorgeous woman.

PretzelGirl
09-10-2012, 08:26 PM
You look very beautiful Lori! I now know where to go if I make it out to Denver. But I don't think you could ever put my squeal on a mic.

Leah Lynn
09-10-2012, 09:26 PM
I've heard of the black Crown; really want to hit it sometime. With my previous company, I was in Denver a couple times a month, but don't go there now. I know of a couple other girls out there, so should take a week and head out. Looks like a fun place, and the entertainment looks great!