PDA

View Full Version : Concerns about posting a picture

Camille15
09-14-2012, 12:12 AM
Hi All -

Does anyone else have fears about posting a photo of themselves here? I mean one that someone could truly recognize you by, or worse, post elsewhere. I'm so afraid of being "discovered", and it jeopardizing friends or work. I doubt anyone on this site would do anything bad. But the thought still makes me nervous. Plus who knows, maybe some of my co-workers are on here too, and will recognize me.

If you felt this way, what finally made you decide to post one? Have you ever had a bad experience posting a pic, here or elsewhere?

Camille

Tracii G
09-14-2012, 12:16 AM
The co worker that should be no problem if they are here.
Sure I felt that way at first and yes I have seen my pics elsewhere but nothing bad happened.I just contacted the web site and had them remove them.

luscious
09-14-2012, 12:28 AM
I remove my eyes and anything that distinguishes me from my photos.

I have found that many people in real life do not know its me when I am dressed because I generally put on more then one layer of makeup and I drive a new vehicle that I normally do not use unless i am dressed.

I have been places and seen a guy are two and a TG looking at a CROSSDRESSER WEBSITE.

ALSO THERE ARE SOMETIMES WHEN i DO SEARCH FOR TOPICS AND THIS WEBSITE AND ITS POST POP UP with some people here posts & pictures

AmberDay
09-14-2012, 12:38 AM
If you think about it though, if any of your friends/ family/ coworkers are on here, that means they are an ally! I wonder a little bit why people do 'hide'. I do understand the fear of being found out, but you are on a site that is exclusively for those that are under the transgender umbrella. Granted, it is possible to see people's avatars while logged in as a guest, but then again, if somebody isn't involved in the community they aren't going be on this site or go through every member's comment or thread just to see if they recognize anybody. I can't give you statistics but if you really think about it, there is less than 1% chance that somebody you know that isn't in the community will magically stumble on this site and spend the time to find you. If you want to start small, just post a photo of you on your profile, but use a different photo for your Avatar. Only members can see each others profile.

What do you think the odds are that you would find somebody you know on here?

Amber

suzy1
09-14-2012, 02:07 AM
I think the odds of someone finding you out by stumbling on a photo of you here is infinitesimally small.
Then add to that the fact that you are in female mode, in other words make up and wig and it just isn’t going to happen.

That’s my opinion anyway. Someone here is bound to come up with a story of being found out now.:eek:

Amy A
09-14-2012, 03:01 AM
The thought did cross my mind that someone might stumble across this, but if they are on the site then I don't think them finding out would be too much of a problem. I'm not sure I like the idea of people putting my photos up elsewhere on the web much, but I think the chances of anyone I know finding them are pretty small.

Kimberlyfaye
09-14-2012, 03:08 AM
I was nervous at first. I've had experience of people finding pictures of me through my own fault really. But with everyone here and all the support I went ahead and posted. I know so many here have, are and will go through the same problems as I am. So I know we are all in the same situation. You are the only one who knows if the time is right to post a picture.

I don't care if people do see me on here anymore.

donnalee
09-14-2012, 04:49 AM
Although I agree with every post so far, I feel I need to add this:

I don't know your personal situation, but ANYTHING posted on the web must be considered de facto in the public domain. If there are things you don't wish to share with the universe, the only logical course is to keep them to yourself.

Cheryl T
09-14-2012, 04:50 AM
If someone you knew saw your photo here and said something then my question is...why were you trolling a crossdressing site??????

xdressed
09-14-2012, 05:43 AM
Never been nervous about it, if they find a picture of me on here it's because they were looking for a crossdressing site and happened across my profile on it, and there's only a small amount of reasons why someone would come onto a crossdressing site lol. I also have photo's on deviantart, (so called because it distances itself from the snobbishness of the fine art world not because it's for sexual deviants or anything lol) which a lot of friends are on, but the point still stands. If you're not searching for crossdressing you're not going to come across it.

linda allen
09-14-2012, 06:07 AM
....... ANYTHING posted on the web must be considered de facto in the public domain. If there are things you don't wish to share with the universe, the only logical course is to keep them to yourself.

That's the reality of it.

A friend's daughter in law got a "boob job" and decided to post photos on a well known "naked woman" website. She got a little carried away and posted not only nude photos, but sexually explicit photos as well.

Somebody found out about it, told someone else, who told someone else, and eventually everyone in town except my friend and his wife was looking at her sexually explicit photos on the Internet. My friend may have found out but he never mentioned it.

My current avitar is an actual photo of me, but from the neck down. I have posted a couple photos of me out on the town, but wearing large sunglasses. I would be pretty hard to recognize.

For anyone concerned about being "outed", think carefully before you post a photo to any Internet site, restricted or not.

Paula_56
09-14-2012, 06:39 AM
I've been posting pictures since the 90's (remember geocites girls?) and the fact is I have never heard of another girl getting recognized by someone she knew. What does happen on occasion is someone leaves a screen up and the PC and gets discovered

Karren H
09-14-2012, 07:01 AM
I had some fears about posting photos of myself enfemme..... about 10,000 photos ago.....

GinaMarie
09-14-2012, 07:32 AM
No matter how tempted, I don't see myself sharing pictures of myself dressed on this site, let alone elsewhere. What if the picture is "geotagged," or someone figures out it's me? If anyone wants to look for me on the Internet, leave that to the government. They can use that face to compare me to hundreds of Facebook pics of me (in guy mode obviously). Or the GPS coordinates in the image to find me physically. That's why I have location disabled on my phone's camera app(s).

In the end, it's your choice-- your risk-- if you want to share pictures of you dressed. I'm better off keeping such pictures off the Internet.

But the bottom line: if you're reluctant to post pics of yourself, don't take your chances of someone finding out and allowing it to spread on the WWW.

Erina
09-14-2012, 07:36 AM
I'm a bit afraid that the images will end up outside this forum cause a member would download it. I trust you all and our moderators, but I'm afraid there might perhaps be a bad egg also. So to make sure I shrink all my photos that I upload, not tiny just enough to make them useless on other sites

If you post pictures on other websites then you should make sure the text you published doesn't contain keywords cause the google robots might spread it.

I believe in probability. There's a extremely slim chance that you'll even meet someone who had a friend who had a friend whos a member and have happened seem you on this site. Think I would even been glad if I met someone on the street who had seen me on this site, I like making friends

Beverley Sims
09-14-2012, 07:48 AM
Because the internet is forever, I am wary about what I post.
I have things I said 15 years ago still out there.
It can be a very good reference source, used correctly.

linda allen
09-14-2012, 07:52 AM
........ This website doesn't allow spiders so what you publish here won't leak out on the search engines

Not true. I can do a google search on my screen name and find posts on this website. Of course, only people here know me as Linda Allen.

suzy1
09-14-2012, 07:59 AM
Just typed into Google, ‘crossdressers suzy1’ then went to Images and there I am, and so are some of you too!

Am I worried? No………a little flattered maybe. :battingeyelashes:

Try your Avatar name, if you dare!!!!:heehee:

Aloha Jayne
09-14-2012, 08:03 AM
While we are a bunch of supportive gals on this sight and would not do anything to harm the other members, keep in mind that there are some angry SO's also lurking, who may not have our best interests at heart. So you just never know who may be viewing your photo or what their intent may be. And this is the internet, so you have to assume that your photo is on public diplay. That being said, my avatar isn't me because I don't have a photo of Jayne yet. But when I do, everyone one the www will see.

laurieg
09-14-2012, 08:12 AM
I have no fear i
have putting pictures up for awhile i think its great
laurieg

Jenny Doolittle
09-14-2012, 08:23 AM
I would post a pic, but out of respect for my wife's request, "Please, No Pics of the web" I have never posted.

Personally I would not be concerned about posting a picture that was just an everyday girl next door picture. I would want to post the VERY best picture I had to convey my feminine side..... Thank God for new cameras, I would spend hundreds on film trying to find that picture.

Georgia_Maine
09-14-2012, 09:32 AM
There are methods that prevent copying photos off of the web by all but the most expert of photo thieves. It takes some basic photo post processing, but it's relatively simple and effective. Google "photo copy protection". Me? I really don't care, but then I'm really not into showing off my old bod. :-)

Gigi

Jenniferathome
09-14-2012, 09:37 AM
I think we all went though this decision making process. If someone "here" recognizes you, are they not also a crossdresser?

Ava Tryptyk
09-14-2012, 09:54 AM
Other than my avatar/profile picture, I've only posted pictures twice. I did it because I wanted feedback on my appearance/outfit, and when everyone had finished commenting on the thread and it had been closed by a moderator, I removed the pictures since I didn't really want them to lay around on the site for too long. My current avatar (which is the same as my profile pic) is a heavily edited photo of myself when I was 17 (the hair is from a virtual makeover program), so I think it would be really hard for anyone to recognize me.

I just Googled "crossdressers sveta" and the first link was a YouTube video of another crossdresser who goes by "Sveta". The third link is to this forum.

What I'm more concerned about are people who have registered accounts on this forum but are not actual crossdressers and are just looking to have access to the picture posting board so that they can save copies of pictures of all of the dressers. It's hard to tell if there are many (or any) members here who are doing that, but it makes me reluctant to leave my pictures up for too long after I've gotten the feedback I wanted.

Thera Home
09-14-2012, 09:59 AM
That’s my opinion anyway. Someone here is bound to come up with a story of being found out now.:eek:

.........................................:heehee:

Thera

Karren H
09-14-2012, 10:10 AM
Just typed into Google, ‘crossdressers suzy1’ then went to Images and there I am, and so are some of you too!

Boom! When I google Karren Hutton I'm everywhere..... :) now when I google my birth name.... zip except maybe my address.... it helps to have no male presence on the internet.... nothing to connect the dots too!... only a female presence.....

Camille15
09-14-2012, 10:12 AM
Thanks for all of your responses. There were some good suggestions here too. This gives me plenty to think about. I'm not even sure if I do want to post, really, and definitely wouldn't do so without my wife's OK anyway. I think my main reason for wanting to post is for some validation that I don't look completely like a dude when dressed. ;) But in the end I need to give myself that validation anyway, regardless of what others think.

Thanks all,
Camille

FeliciaCDSNJ
09-14-2012, 10:13 AM
I used to be scared to post my picture on the net but not anymore. If friends or family sees it, oh well lol

Kimberlyfaye
09-14-2012, 10:22 AM
I used to be scared to post my picture on the net but not anymore. If friends or family sees it, oh well lol

Well said Felicia. I'm the same now. And lovely name :)

I've been seen and I'm sure more people know than have let on. It must have spread that I've dressed. All the more reason I'm close to coming out of the closet fully.

Thera Home
09-14-2012, 10:32 AM
Boom! When I google Karren Hutton I'm everywhere..... :) now when I google my birth name.... zip except maybe my address.... it helps to have no male presence on the internet.... nothing to connect the dots too!... only a female presence.....

I bet your tied in w/ the CIAFBIguys somehow.....................................:heehe e:

Thera

TeriAnn
09-14-2012, 10:39 AM
I have had my picture posted on this site ever since I joined. If any one has seen my pix on this site they most likely are a crossdresser themselves otherwise why would they even be here. I guess there is a remote possibility that my avatar could be seen elsewhere but at this point in my life I do not care. Why I am on this site is no ones business but mine. If they want to make a big deal out of it so be it. I love being a crossdresser and no one is going to tell me how to live my life or that what I am doing is wrong.

Amy Fakley
09-14-2012, 10:58 AM
I posted some and then thought better of it and took them down.

While it is true that your chances of being found out by posting a pic here are quite small, they are most certainly not zero.

First thing. Your avatar is public. Anyone anywhere on the internet can stumble across that with something as simple as a google image search. So ... if you're not out, and that possibility concerns you ... you know ... make sure your avatar is not personally identifying in the real world.

If you're closeted, and this doesn't concern you, I suggest you log into facebook and post a picture containing a face ... see how it recognizes that and suggests friends of yours who that might be? See how scarily accurate it's guesses are?

There are serious limitations to face recognition algorithms today, but they are almost entirely limitations of computing horsepower. Next year, or the year after your iPhone might have enough horsepower to crossreference every single avatar on this site to a phone number and address. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when, and "when" is more likely a matter of months than decades.

As far as I can tell posts in the Picture & Video section are walled off from the general internet. It's a fairly safe place to post pics, I'd say, but even then you have to ask yourself ... do you trust every single person with an account on this site?.

In my case, I initially thought "yeah, sure I do", because the comment "hey I saw your pic on the crossdressing site dude!" also betrays the person speaking as having been here and having an account.

... which is why I originally got the courage to post some pics, which was a wonderful, supportive experience that I am grateful to have had, but ...

then I realized that my wife and I have had many out of the closet LGBT friends over the years, many of whom probably hang out here. Many of whom innocently might just say "oh, hey I didn't know your husband was into crossdressing too" ... oops.

In my case, this led to the conclusion "dude, don't post pics until you find a way to come out to your wife at least".

Don't want to be all scary and stuff, but the moment one of those old friends messaged me on facebook randomly the day after posting my pic (he didn't recognize me, it was just a random coincidence) ... that was a powerful wakeup call for me and one I thought it would be worth sharing.

Ressie
09-14-2012, 12:35 PM

Yes I did get google results with crossdressers myusername that led to posts I've made. My username by itself isn't unique so that search brings up many others. I'm at a point in my life where I don't want to be outed, but if someone thinks they recognize my photo and puts 2+2 together so be it. :battingeyelashes:

carhill2mn
09-14-2012, 01:01 PM
I had similar concerns when I first became active on line. If some of your co-workers were on this site the natural question would be "Why?" I doubt that any of them would "expose" you as that would be exposing themselves as well.

Any time that you post anything online anywhere, there is some risk. So, a little caution is probably a good idea but that
need not totally stop you.

Saffron
09-14-2012, 01:02 PM
It scares me, but I uploaded the photos as a first step out the closet

Ava Tryptyk
09-14-2012, 03:11 PM
I'd like to mention one more thing. There's a site called TinEye (tineye.com) that does reverse image searching. You can use this to check and see if images you've put on the Internet have been posted on other sites. It's not perfect, but I think it's worth a try if you're really worried about your pictures being in places you don't want them to me.

NathalieX66
09-14-2012, 03:30 PM
I am everywhere on the net.

I am even on my guy FB page....I literally got several dozen compliments, and no friends lost, and I gained even more friends.
My femme side is now literally an unsecret. Good.

If and when the government pries into my private life, this is the face they're gonna get.
Stick it, Uncle Sam!

If there's anyone who knows me, that is spying on me, or discovers me......then what are you doing here, savvy? ....gotcha.

Have a nice day!......I'm a girl, end of story.

Kaz
09-14-2012, 03:36 PM
"Mod hat on" - We have rules on the site about the posting of pictures and these are for many reasons... think about it...

"Mod hat off" - I decided to go for it because I decided I needed to get my Kaz identity out there and validated... if people connect me, that's cool, we can talk... I am not that significant a person for this to be an expose(e should have an acute accent (ague)).

And if it all goes belly up... yeah this is me! Deal with it!

xdressed
09-14-2012, 04:47 PM

I don't come up, although this did lol http://www.demotivationalposters.org/image/demotivational-poster/small/1009/patricia-star-patricia-star-spongebob-patrick-crossdressing-demotivational-poster-1283598070.jpg

Pexetta
09-14-2012, 04:59 PM
I gave this some thought before posting pictures of myself on here, particularly a guy mode/girl mode one, but they aren't connected to my real name, and even if a colleague did somehow stumble across them randomly, law and company policy say I can't be got rid of on those grounds.

What worries me is the idea of one of them going viral with an insulting caption underneath...

Tara D. Rose
09-14-2012, 05:11 PM
I went to a job interview a few weeks ago. I was talking to HR lady, and she called up the plant manager and he walked in, he looked shocked at me, he said, I know you don't I? I said, I don't think so, I don't believe we've ever met. Well while we went on talking, the 3 of us. He kept looking me up and down almost like not really paying attention to what I was saying. 5 minutes later on, he said I know I have seen you somewhere before. But he looked like a total stranger to me. I felt a little uneasy. I talked to my wife about it, and thought, did he see me on here. For I have had different pics on here at different times. I used to have some on flicker also but took them down about 6 months ago. Did he copy and save some of them?
My wife says Tara and well, her husband look nothing alike. I thought about all of this on the way home. Does he visit this site? Does he look at cd's on flicker? That's the only places I have posted pictures. A co worker a few weeks ago, was cutting up and put a new mop head on his head and was behind me and called out, I'm a girl and my name is Tara, ha ha. My eyebrows lifted a little as I turned to look at him, I didn't see a knowing look on his face, so I think that was just a coincidence. But if I ever do get discovered ,I can blame no one but me. We play the game, we take the risk's.

Peace and Love, Tara

Eryn
09-14-2012, 06:17 PM
I did a google image search with my name and crossdressers and only showed up on page 12! Lots of people I know on the forum showed up above me, though!

At the resolution of photos on the site it would be difficult to absolutely identify anyone.

NathalieX66
09-14-2012, 06:32 PM
The best way to hide your identity is to put your girl side up.
Eff the government!

Stephanie47
09-14-2012, 06:41 PM
I haven't posted any pictures because I am an aging dinosaur with limited computer skills and a cheap digital camera. If I do get around to posting a picture I think I would turn my face or do something to obscure my facial features, sunglasses maybe.

On other sites I have blocked my handle for that site. Specifically, my family probably knows my handle on eBay. Before I blocked my feedback, if I 'Googled" my handle it lead to my purchases. Among other masculine purchases, there it is for everyone to see: slips, dresses, panties, bras, hosiery. Yikes. Talk about trying to talk my way out of that, especially considering the women's sizes. I found the same with the handle I use with the local newspaper.

Being 'outed' by this site is small unless you picture is in the avatar. I checked who may be viewing this site before pounding on the keyboard. There were 109 users in the general/public section, 82 of whom were guests. In beauty club-1; clothing-5; pictures-17. It would appear there are many lurkers out there. Maybe wives checking up on cross dressing husbands. Maybe wives trying to gain insight.

Ten years ago I made a comment on a site and it's still there. Once on the Internet, it's there forever.

eileendover
09-14-2012, 06:52 PM
I am lucky. My name is very common, so there are lots of images out there to Google, but only my avatar image belongs to me.

If you DO decide to post a picture, just try not to include identifying stuff in the picture that others might recognize (like your wedding photo!)
Then even if someone sees your picture and thinks it's you, they will never be sure. You will have plausible deniability!

Launa
09-14-2012, 07:00 PM
I would like to post a picture of myself but my wife would have a big problem with that. Maybe one day.

Alice Torn
09-14-2012, 07:06 PM
Sveta, I remember a number of yrs ago, someone was found out using photos for not so nice reasons. i forget the details. one of the supermods may know.

reb.femme
09-14-2012, 07:06 PM
I've been posting pictures since the 90's (remember geocites girls?) and the fact is I have never heard of another girl getting recognized by someone she knew. What does happen on occasion is someone leaves a screen up and the PC and gets discovered

Along with the others here, I've got to the point of thinking to hell with discovery.
However, I was making an ID label on my laptop today at work and checked out my femme pics and the folder opened up in full screen. Luckily no one could see from down the office but the screen I was using faces absolutely everyone. Wouldn't be so bad, but this buffoon is the IT guy (T-Girl in disguise) for the department...whoops!

Rebecca

Debglam
09-14-2012, 07:20 PM
We all go through these stages. No photos, headless or sunglasses, etc. I guess it boils down to how much you care. The photos I post are (hopefully) tasteful and represent how I want to appear, so I don't really care who sees them. One thing to consider though, when you look at a photo of yourself en femme, you still see yourself. You would be amazed at how different you actually look to someone else. Also, you are probably completely out of your normal context. A person that knows you and sees your photo is very unlikely to identify you from it.

Alice Torn
09-14-2012, 07:32 PM
Not trying to outdo anyone, but i just googled my Youtube names, and wow! My over 300 videos are everywhere! Then, i googled my handles for other cd places. Same thing! I think i am going to stop my Youtube account. That is way too much exposure, all those videos!

STACY B
09-14-2012, 08:52 PM
I just put up my pictures here to show YALL what I look like cuz you all dont know me ,, Everyone one around here already knows what I look like an dont have to have a picture they get to see me in person ,,,Pretty LUCKY arent they !! An if they do see my pictures on here they better not copy them unless they PAY ME !! Dam, Poperrazzi always trying to get a free bee !!

Candice Mae
09-14-2012, 11:11 PM
Candice scared? No... Terrified? Sometimes... I edit out stuff from pictures that I think might lead to people identifying me. The one video I have done so far I locked as private after a 48hr "screening" on here. Most of the stuff I post is of lower quality or mirror shots so the definition is not showing great detail. And Candice also has that girl next door look, but not a perfect 10 by any means. She just tries to blend in, so if her pictures end up somewhere else some one will be less likely to give her a second look.

And also Candice's last name is not posted on here and will remain a mystery. The name "Candice Mae'' is also common enough for any of Candice's stuff to be lost in the flood.

nikki626
09-14-2012, 11:29 PM
I respect all of you who have pictures...I doubt I'll ever have the courage to post one :/

sometimes_miss
09-14-2012, 11:57 PM
All I can say, is, don't post a picture connecting you with crossdressing in any way, anywhere, unless you want to be 'out'. All it takes is one person spotting you, and bingo, you're going to be well known to be a crossdresser, with all it entails. If you can't live with that, don't post a picture. Remember, you can't go back to being anonymous, ever, once the cat's out of the bag, the toothpaste's out of the tube, or whatever analogy you want to use. There's no halfway 'out'. And it doesn't take a photograph; I got spotted on an online dating site simply by my profile description; the only saving grace was the fact that there wasn't a photo to confirm who I was. Be careful. Be very, very careful. Unless you want to be out.

larry
09-15-2012, 12:04 AM
Hey luscious, That must hurt like heck when you take your eyes out.

linda allen
09-15-2012, 08:17 AM
There are methods that prevent copying photos off of the web by all but the most expert of photo thieves.

Hit the "Print Screen" key, then paste the results into any photo editing software and crop the rest of the screen out. Pretty simple.

I think we all went though this decision making process. If someone "here" recognizes you, are they not also a crossdresser?

No, there are wives and girlfriends of crossdressers on this site. This could be a problem when and if they become ex wives or ex girlfriends.

Ressie
09-15-2012, 08:49 AM
No, there are wives and girlfriends of crossdressers on this site. This could be a problem when and if they become ex wives or ex girlfriends.

Good thing we can edit posts without a time limit.

~Joanne~
09-15-2012, 09:17 AM
I don't have any fears about the pictures I have posted. They are from the shoulders down, a wall, and a floor. Someone would be very hard pressed to be able to say it was me for sure. When I look at the boy vs girl photo section, a lot of girls would be safe as their appearance between femme/drab are dramatically different.

The thing I think that would give someone away for sure are tell tales like tattoos and such. I don't have any so I don't worry about them but I often wonder if others don't get outted because of theirs.

I did a search for Miss Joanne and came up with a lot of Miss Joanne's lol none which were me :)

Erica2Sweet
09-15-2012, 10:07 AM
...I don't care if people do see me on here anymore.

Ditto that. My days of worrying about this are over. If someone finds me then so be it. It changes nothing realy.

Nicole Erin
09-15-2012, 02:04 PM
I do not post photos here cause if I end up banned at some point, I don't want to be stuck having my photos on here.

With photo copyright protection - that is useless cause someone can just hit the "prt scr" button and then paste it to a photo program.

Adrienne Heels
09-15-2012, 07:01 PM
I don't think anyone can identify me in guy mode by seeing a picture of me dressed. And if they see a picture, they are looking for CDs anyway, I would think!!

April_Ligeia
09-15-2012, 07:27 PM
I don't think anyone can identify me in guy mode by seeing a picture of me dressed. And if they see a picture, they are looking for CDs anyway, I would think!!

This is exactly what I think. If anyone found my picture and confronted me, as unlikely as that might be, I would simply say, "No, that's not me, and, by the way, what are YOU doing on those websites? Got a secret you want to discuss?"

Genny B
09-15-2012, 07:40 PM
As many of us are prior service if not on active duty, I am sure all of us probably have the same thought. Our security clearance and job would be gone in a day... When I retire, I will not care, but till then bills must be paid...

linda allen
09-18-2012, 06:32 AM
Good thing we can edit posts without a time limit.

We can edit our own posts but not if they have been quoted by someone else. You can't edit your statement in my post.

Just for kicks, here's another danger - Someone can quote what you post but change it to make it look like you posted it. For example:

I think Linda is one of the the prettiest and most intelligent girls on this forum.

:heehee:

Alice B
09-18-2012, 12:17 PM
Not at all on this site. Have posted many, but never on facebook or other like sites.