PDA

View Full Version : You just can't win for loosing

Jordan-NH
09-14-2012, 05:51 AM
So as I recently posted I just shaved my legs. Well, I go jogging every day with a couple people at work. So being "clever" I bought some Under Armor leggings that are specifically made for summer running. I figured this was a great idea, hide the shaved legs so I don't get any stupid comments. OMG, I am getting more comments about the leggings than I think I would have to just shown my shaved legs! Why do people care?!? So now I'm torn if I just keep pushing through and keep wearing the leggings (really could take them or leave them) or if I just give up on them and hope the comments stop. But right now I'm more afraid that everyone will be looking at my legs because of the leggins so they're more likely to notice the shaved legs.

linda allen
09-14-2012, 05:56 AM
A "guy" wearing leggings is bound to attract attention, at least in my part of the world.

Your choices seem to be:
1) Keep wearing the leggings and keep shaving your legs.
2) Get rid of the leggings and let them see your shaved legs.
3) Keep the leggings until your leg hair grows out and forget shaving.
4) Wear long pants when jogging.
5) Give up jogging, at least with people who might comment about your shaved legs or leggings.

deebra
09-14-2012, 07:05 AM
Switch to jogging pants, you can keep shaving and the problem will disappear.

TxKimberly
09-14-2012, 07:12 AM
I've been jogging with shaved legs for about 20 years now and never had a single comment or odd look. Don't sweat the small stuff . . .

Beverley Sims
09-14-2012, 07:56 AM
I have no hair to shave on my legs.
People only notice they are skinny.
They look great in jeggings tho" :)

GeminaRenee
09-14-2012, 08:05 AM
About a year ago, I decided that I was going to shave my legs full time. I was a bit apprehensive about the possible results... would people notice? What would they say? Etc...

After a year of exposing my shaved legs to friends, foes, family, strangers, children, adults, co-workers, classmates, and all other walks of life... you want to know the only person who has ever noticed? The woman I am intimate with. As the results of my experiences seems to indicate, not to mention the anecdotal evidence provided by plenty of others on this board - the chances of anyone noticing enough to care are very, very, slim.

As far as the leggings are concerned... this of it this way: If you're in alone in a makeup aisle and someone else enters, and you get nervous and start acting all goofy and looking around and making a fake phone call to your wife "Hey babe, *cough cough* what mascara was it that you wanted?" - you do nothing but attract attention to why you're there in the first place. But if that person enters the aisle and you go about your business, paying them no mind, quietly and confidently continuing as you want to - it's likely that they won't think anything of it either. The moral of the story is this: the more you go out of way to camouflage something, the more likely it is that you will draw attention to yourself. Shaved legs = no big deal. Tights to cover your shaved legs = well, people will notice.

(:

Jenny Doolittle
09-14-2012, 08:16 AM
Brittany,

Just go with it and let the pieces fall as they might! As you said, "why should everyone be so concerned", but why should you care so much either? Live the life that makes you happy and the Heck with everyone else.

Sara Jessica
09-14-2012, 08:17 AM
You've already called attention to your legs by wearing the leggings. Might as well get rid of 'em and own it.

bridget thronton
09-14-2012, 08:56 AM
Do what ever you are more comfortable with - bare legs or tights, the novelty of being seen with either will not last long

Marleena
09-14-2012, 08:59 AM
I think it's easier to explain away shaved legs than it is wearing leggings. Leggings will attract much more attention. It is your call Brittany.

Elle1946
09-14-2012, 09:06 AM
I shave my legs and wear shorts and swim, in the male mode, and no one has said a thing. They may think something but don't say it.

Jenniferathome
09-14-2012, 09:39 AM
No one cares about shaving legs any more. Don't fret it. If someone asks, just yes, I did shave them. That's it. The questions will stop. I have shaved for years and no be cares. Really

Cheryl T
09-14-2012, 11:04 AM
Wear what you like, show your legs if you like and tell them all that you appreciate their input on your fashions, but you really don't care.

janet54
09-14-2012, 11:17 AM
I have shaved my legs for years and no one has said a thing. It is my life and I do what to do if it makes me feel good then I do it.

kimdl93
09-14-2012, 11:56 AM
Who are these people that were at all interested in your legs?

DonnaT
09-14-2012, 12:48 PM
Generally, people may not care or may be to self conscious to comment, but, as you know and have shown, it's not the case with everyone.

So the thought that no one (i.e., your fellow joggers) will notice the shaved legs doesn't seem too convincing. I imagine they will notice and will say something. After all, men wear leggings (for jogging or other activities (http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/mens/apparel/bottoms/leggings)) all the time, just maybe not in your crowd, so they noticed.

With the weather getting cooler, you may want to keep wearing them, but come the warmer seasons, go without.

In either case, don't let what others think bother you. You like what you like, whether leggings or shaved legs, so own it. Expect some comment and/or teasing, but don't accept continued teasing. Tell them if they can't act like grown adults, you'll do your jogging alone.

Jocelyn Quivers
09-14-2012, 01:33 PM
My thougts are if they have time to focus on whether your legs are shaved or not they must have too much energy, are not focused on jogging properly and are not jogging hard or long enough. Keep them shaved, wear shorts while jogging, and if there are any men ask on why are they staring at your legs, and also state that's kind of weird, unsettling and creepy.

StarrOfDelite
09-14-2012, 03:03 PM
Many males to wear UnderArmour or similar compression gear for jogging and bicycle riding in the fall and winter time in the Northeast and Great Lakes. At early high school track meets its not uncommon to see the boys team wearing black tights. It helps to keep the legs warm and loose and prevents muscle pulls.

However, if you wear tights in the summer time, even in New Hampshire, people are likely to think you're crazy, not that you're a crossdresser!

Ava Tryptyk
09-14-2012, 03:26 PM
I know very little about running or jogging, so I don't know how common these things are, but maybe the people you jog with just haven't heard of those particular leggings that are made for summer running. I don't think that it's unusual for a man to wear leggings when running, at least during cold weather. I had a friend in Russia (originally from Canada) who ran on a regular basis and he wore black leggings for this purpose, because the weather was very cold there. I would say do whatever is most comfortable - if you legitimately like the feel of the leggings, then keep wearing them. If you start running with bare legs before the hair grows back, some of your friends may come to the (correct) conclusion that you shaved your legs and got the leggings to hide them. So I would say keep the leggings or switch to long pants temporarily. I don't think it's worth giving up jogging. If it gets to be really annoying you could say something like, "This is the Nth time you've brought up the topic of my leggings, I'm starting to think that you're jogging with me just to check out my legs." But it's your call.

Jordan-NH
09-14-2012, 05:05 PM
Thanks all. I agree, I blew it and should have just gone with the straight up bare legs. Seemed brilliant, but I continually underestimate people's ability to critique clothing choices. And I am now definitely faced with the decision of staying the course or ditching the leggings. I just hope that I haven't drawn so much attention to my legs that if I do ditch the leggings people are more apt to notice the shaving. Maybe I should just stop jogging until the weather gets cold. :) I actually was going to wait until October when it was cold and the leggins would have made sense, but I just wanted to shave soooooo bad. No regrets, just general annoyance at people (and myself).

Lorileah
09-14-2012, 05:25 PM
I would find friends who had deeper things to think about rather than what I was wearing or my body parts.

Jennifer B
09-14-2012, 08:11 PM
Another option. Take up cycling instead of jogging, then you will have to keep shaving your legs or you'll get called out for having hairy legs and not taking your cycling seriously. :p

GeminaRenee
09-14-2012, 10:39 PM
And I am now definitely faced with the decision of staying the course or ditching the leggings. I just hope that I haven't drawn so much attention to my legs that if I do ditch the leggings people are more apt to notice the shaving.

I would just stick with the leggings at this point. Like others have said - decide what you're gonna do, then own it. Now that people have seen them and had their poke at you, they'll find other things to be children about, and your leggings will be just something weird that you do. Come up with a couple of stock reasons why you like them so much (ie, you love the moisture wicking, or increased aerodynamics have cut 0.5 seconds off your time) and stick with them. If you do take them off, be prepared for people to look at your legs and possibly notice that they're shaved. Or you could just ditch the leggings and not care what anyone says. Easier said that done, I know. Good luck! (: