PDA

View Full Version : Knitting anyone?

Rachel Lea
09-15-2012, 06:18 AM
My wife is teaching me how to knit. I am going to like this. I have only been at it for about 3 nights, but now I sit in front of the TV in the evening with pantyhose on under my pajamas, legs crossed, and knitting an afghan (1st project, "simple"). I am hoping to be able to sit around with others girls, talk, and pass the time in the long winter nights ahead.

Beverley Sims
09-15-2012, 06:55 AM
I knitted a scarf for my cat when I was 12.
It was three feet long and four inches wide.
The colors were red, white, blue, pink, brown and at least a couple of others. :)
The cat did not like it.

suchacutie
09-15-2012, 08:50 AM
From the time I was 4 to the time I was 6, I stayed with my grandmother on Friday nights because both my parents worked that night (ok, they probably did other things that night too, but they did both work late). In an attempt to keep me occupied she taught me the one thing she did all the time...she taught me to crochet.

Now, Tina has her own crochet projects! Just last weekend we two girls sat in our chairs in our bedroom, one knitting and one crochetting, just chatting and having a great time. Tina just about has the second pillowcase lace finished :).

Cynthia Anne
09-15-2012, 09:13 AM
Knitting can be fun even more so when there is someone to share it with! Have fun!

bridget thronton
09-15-2012, 10:28 AM
Knitting looks like it requires too much concentration (I am easily distracted at times)

Stephenie S
09-15-2012, 10:57 AM
Not too many guys like to knit, right?

Beverley Sims
09-15-2012, 12:58 PM
From the time I was 4 to the time I was 6, I stayed with my grandmother on Friday nights because both my parents worked that night (ok, they probably did other things that night too, but they did both work late). In an attempt to keep me occupied she taught me the one thing she did all the time...she taught me to crochet.

Now, Tina has her own crochet projects! Just last weekend we two girls sat in our chairs in our bedroom, one knitting and one crochetting, just chatting and having a great time. Tina just about has the second pillowcase lace finished :).

Someone crocheted a bikini for me once.
It was not lined.
Could not wear it very often.
If you don't know why, don't ask. :)

Persephone
09-15-2012, 01:44 PM
I used to knit and would still love to take it back up, but I ran into a, er, snag. I was taught by my mother who was a very, very talented left-handed craftsperson. I suspect that I learned her way of doing it, which I was doing with my right hand, which means I really sort of knit in reverse. It works, but once I found out that there was a right-handed method that is easier and quicker for a right-handed person I'd like to switch, but that's hard because I have to unlearn my method.

Men have a long history of knitting. Back when Britania ruled the waves I believe it was a required skill among members of the British navy. That way they had something to do on long sea voyages other than to complain and plot mutiny and they could make their own socks.

(As an aside, British navy sailing ships also carried a trunk of plays and costumes, including female costumes, and the men would produce plays which they would put on for the Captain and officers. I believe Ernest Shakelton's men also did this at first when they were trapped in the Antarctic ice).

Once upon a time Rosey Greer, defensive tackle for the New York Giants and the Los Angeles Rams, was a bigtime knitter and needlepointer. He even wrote a book, Rosey Greer's Needlepoint for Men (http://www.amazon.com/Rosey-Griers-Needlepoint-Men-Grier/dp/0802704212).

Go knitters!

Hugs,
Persephone.

reb.femme
09-15-2012, 04:02 PM
Men have a long history of knitting. Back when Britania ruled the waves I believe it was a required skill among members of the British navy. That way they had something to do on long sea voyages other than to complain and plot mutiny and they could make their own socks. (As an aside, British navy sailing ships also carried a trunk of plays and costumes, including female costumes, and the men would produce plays which they would put on for the Captain and officers. I believe Ernest Shakelton's men also did this at first when they were trapped in the Antarctic ice).

Now I know why I joined the Royal Air Force :heehee:
T'was a life for those that like to be pampered don't you know.

Rebecca

Rachel Lea
09-16-2012, 06:24 AM
Knitting can be fun even more so when there is someone to share it with! Have fun!

I have been practicing and during that time I have dropped stitches and split threads.. But my wife is excellent at this stuff, she is showing me how to fix the items and I am just about ready to start the first real project. The time just slips right by when I am knitting. Now I see why my wife takes her projects with her when we travel or when we might have to wait for something. I hope to get to the point where I take my project with me sometime.

Roberta Marie
09-16-2012, 03:39 PM
Once upon a time Rosey Greer, defensive tackle for the New York Giants and the Los Angeles Rams, was a bigtime knitter and needlepointer. He even wrote a book, Rosey Greer's Needlepoint for Men (http://www.amazon.com/Rosey-Griers-Needlepoint-Men-Grier/dp/0802704212).

Persephone.

I remember an interview that Mike Douglas did with Rosey Greer years ago. Rosey took up knitting to pass the time on flights to away games. Mike Douglas ask him if his teammates ever made fun of him for knitting. Rosey's response, "Once!"

mmandy31
09-16-2012, 04:10 PM
my grandmother taught me how to knit

SweetHailey
09-24-2012, 03:00 AM
Not knitting, but I have tried and LOVED tatting, though I don't have much time for it. I also used to cross stitch with my Mom sometimes when I was younger.

Rachel Lea
09-30-2012, 06:30 AM
My first project is started and am starting to get the hang of it. I have not worked on the item for about 4 days and I am ready to continue. I am finding that sometimes I don't have time to work on it.