PDA

View Full Version : Shopping - bold new step conquered!

Diversity
09-15-2012, 07:21 PM
I thought I'd share a new story with you all, which may be of interest to those trying to break free. This week I went shopping for some male clothes. I was in 'male mode' and did not give a thought about my CD'ing. However, I thought I'd surprise my wife with a a couple of blouses as well.
Once I went into a 'ladies store', and selected some, I found my female side start to surface. I am a 'man's man', but it is hard to resist when the feminine side challenges my male side. It's an enjoyable and peaceful mode to be in for me.
Anyways, purchases made, I left the store and passed by another one on my way out of the mall. The window dressing and the recent post of one of us (I apologize that I do not recall the name of the person who made the post, but it was the one where this person told us of his/her purchase of high heels and skirts and posted pictures), gave me the courage to go into this store and have a browse of some skirts, as I too have been wanting to buy a skirt and some high heels. The store did not have high heels, but the skirts were of interest.
To make a long story short, I selected two skirts and proceeded to the dressing rooms. This store had one entrance to the dressing rooms, where the girls were on the left and the boys were on the right. A female attendant asked if she could help me and I said, unwaveringly, that I just wanted to try on two garments and walked past her and went directly into the dressing room!
I tried on the skirts, (I had no idea what my size was), and was so lucky, as both fitted me perfectly! I then changed back into my male clothes and walked out of the room. I passed by the attendant (at this time, there were two), and thanked her and walked back to the skirt section. As I walked away, I could hear them have a giggle, but I did not really care. I was in my own comfort zone, and had a laugh at myself for being so bold as to do this, in the first place. I patted myself on the back mentally.
I returned one of the skirts, as I did not want to spend the money, and went to the check out counter, where I purchased one of the skirts.
I was proud of myself for doing this, and am looking forward to my next challenge - that of buying a dress and high heels.
If anyone, has any similar experiences, I would enjoy reading your posts. I hope this gives some encouragement to others, particularly the 'man's man' CD'rs like me. It's a challenge alright, and a bit nerve-racking, but were it not for the post I mentioned previously, I don't know if I would have been able to muster up the courage to do this! Thank you!!!

STACY B
09-15-2012, 09:32 PM
Practise makes perfect ,,, Ita all in fun ,,Just be yourself an it all works out I swear . I can't even convince most people its for me anymore Im so open ,,The think I am kidding ,, Well what ever ,, Just do what ya want an let them laugh it is funny so laugh with them I do ,,, I will get the last laugh one day when I look better ,,, An they say HEY I rememeber you ,,,You look great ,,,I will say THANX ,,, Alot of work Huh,,,,, YEP !

DeeDeeB
09-15-2012, 09:49 PM
Good going girl. While I have never been considered a manly man, I'm as good with a chainsaw as I am mascara.

That being said, I recently had my first experience with trying lady's clothes on before buying. I've been light on formal wear for the upcoming Fantasia Fair so I went to a local consigment shop to check out the gowns. The lady in attendance (owner) was very kind and helpful, helping me with sizes and commenting on the gowns I tried on. I didn't pick the one she liked (175.00 for used?), but did choose one that I liked. It wasn't what I was looking for the fashion show, so my SO and I went to a shop near where I work and I told the saleslady I was looking for a gown for myself for a fashion show and she said it was a first for her, but the owner and two salesladies set about finding me something special for the show. One of the ladies went late to lunch to see what I selected. I tried on several gowns, amongst some other customers, and opted for one I had seen in the window and I feel is spectacular. Both experiences were so wonderful and comfortable, I'm starting to wonder what all the concern has been. But, that may be the pink fog rolling in.

I know many of the girls shop regularly, so I suspect it is us fearing the worst.

Dee :fairy1:

Cynthia Anne
09-15-2012, 09:50 PM
Good for you! Take that next step and be proud of yourself! Hugs!

JenniferLynn0370
09-15-2012, 10:13 PM
Way to go girl! Shopping is one of my favorite hobbies; my wife gives me grief about loving to shop more than her. My youngest daughter (17) and I love to look at the formal gowns together; we could spend hours. Even when I'm shopping in guy-mode, I won't give a second thought to who is around me; if I find something I like, I will try it on. The SAs have been more than polite and I love being part of that world! Keep on going and enjoying yourself!

TeriAnn
09-15-2012, 10:18 PM
As a matter of fact I went to Pay less Thursday and bought a pair of black flats. Went to a unisex restroom changed out of my brown flats and put on my new black ones. The restroom was on the other end of the mall from where my car was parked. I new I would have to walk the entire length of the mall and did not get a weird stare look or anything. I was on cloud nine.

Stephenie S
09-15-2012, 11:06 PM
Dear Divers,

Just a request, hon, and it's just from me, but, if you are dressed as a guy and presenting like a guy, please use the guy's changing room. When you are dressed as a woman, you are more than welcome, but I really don't want to see a guy in my dressing room.

I guess now that I think about it, maybe it's OK. I think it's just that I sometimes come out of the dressing room to ask a friend or maybe the SA about a "look", and I don't always come out fully dressed. I think I would be embarrassed to pop out to walk, or use the big mirror, or whatever, to see a strange guy doing the same thing in the same area.

Hmm. At least I thought about it, huh?

heatherdress
09-16-2012, 12:00 AM
Diversity - Congratulations.

Now that you know your size, you should also be able to buy items you see without trying them on - and simply return them if they don't fit. Easy. You can still try them on at the store if you want to, but most people take advantage of liberal return policies. You usually have a month at home to try them. You can also shop on line and return if you don't want the item.

Jamie Christopher
09-16-2012, 12:16 AM
Well done Diversity! I've been doing this for a while, and I just feel like I have the right as anyone else does to try something on to see if it fits. I used to be shy, and take it home on a chance, and sometimes I would return it, and sometimes not, if I bought it so cheap off of a discount rack I would just chalk it up to "oh well, it was a good shot". Now I'll just take something I like into the men's dressing room and try it on, because I can. Sometimes that walk across the floor from the women's department to the men's department can be a focal point for me, thinking about the security folks watching the surveillance cameras, and these days I just think "yeah, watch me, because I'm not trying to steal anything anyway.....you can see me either put it back on the rack, or walk up to the register and buy it with a big smile!". At these gas prices, I'm going to make sure I like it, and it fits. Enjoy!

Jamie

bridget thronton
09-16-2012, 12:37 AM
Well done both shopping for wife and your own purchases

Lillyasia
09-16-2012, 01:31 AM
Congratulations and pat yourself on the back! You broke through to another level. Spending money just got a whole lot easier.

Who cares if anyone is looking. Take your time browsing through the racks. Let us know when you find a dress and high heels.

Amanda_P
09-16-2012, 01:51 AM
I had a similar experience. I was in male mode in walmart and seen a couple blouses that I just had to have. So I walk over to the dressing rooms and asked if I could try them on. Cause like you I didn't know my size. They didn't even bat an eye and I went in and they fit great. But at the check out I cowarded when they asked if I was buying them for my wife. I said yes I'm so ashamed. But I'm diffenately going to have to try that again

Persephone
09-16-2012, 01:57 AM
You go, girl!

Hugs,
Persephone.

Diversity
09-16-2012, 04:24 AM
Hi Stephanie,
I did use the guys dressing room! I went right, not left as I mentioned. I agree with you 100%, as I would never want to embarrass or offend any other shopper.Thank you.
Di

Nancy (PA)
09-16-2012, 09:44 PM
I went to "Torrid" the other day (a great place for larger sizes, especially heels), and tried on several bras, jeans, heels, tops and other items. The SA exchanged a few items that were either not what I wanted, or the wrong size. She even helped me with suggestions about combinations, etc., and brought in several tops that she thought were good matches. So, what's the problem with shopping in ladies' stores. As a matter of fact I believe that I may have been the only customer in the store who actuyally bought anything.

Beverley Sims
09-17-2012, 08:22 AM
Next time it will be easy...
The giggling did not hurt either, did it.? :)

kimdl93
09-17-2012, 08:33 AM
A few giggles really don't matter that much when you're OK with yourself. Congratualtions on having hte self confidence to take this step.

linda allen
09-17-2012, 08:44 AM
I pretty much shop with my wife now. Sure it is more expensive because she buys stuff as well, but it makes her happy so it's worth it. The first real female clothing I bought was jeans to wear in male mode. This is before I came out to my wife. We were in Walmart and all the male jeans were baggy on me so I said something about trying on female jeans.

We picked out a style in a couple different sizes and went to the dressing room area. I guess my wife was a little uneasy because she had to make small talk with the SA about the women's jeans fitting me better, but I just took them in and tried them on until I found some that fit. Then I walked out and let my wife give her opinion. We bought the ones that fit and left the others with the SA.

I would probably hyave the nerve to take skirts to the dressing room but it would make her uncomfortable so I take a tape measure with me and just measure the waist. If I buy anything and it doesn't fit, I just return or exchange it.

I have gone by myself to Payless and tried on and bought shoes. It's a little unerving at first, but once you make up your mind, you can just do it.