PDA

View Full Version : Looking to move

Ashley D.
09-18-2012, 08:49 PM
Ok my wife and I live in the birth place of NASCAR home of more more moonshine stile then any other co. in the US.
We have two young kids and I'm going to be transitioning.
We have been talking about moving to a place that is not redneck hell.
Any though on a good place?

Alice Torn
09-18-2012, 08:55 PM
Portland Or, Seattle, Madison Wis, Denver, San Fran, Most cities. The northeast. Minneapolis, most college towns.

NathalieX66
09-18-2012, 09:13 PM
The east coast from DC to Boston, and all points in between is great if you can put up with the high taxes and heavy traffic. It's really fun here.....but not cheap. I know so many people who are transitioning , or have transitioned here in the NJ, Eastern PA, MD, NYC area, and for the most part, people let people live their lives, and we are not over run by southern Baptist or evangelical types trying to condemn us.

RADER
09-18-2012, 09:15 PM
Just do not come to Lake County Illinois. The Taxes are horrible.
Rader

NathalieX66
09-18-2012, 09:18 PM
Just do not come to Lake County Illinois. The Taxes are horrible.
Rader
It's all relative to income. Higher earners want more public services, which is all good and fine, but it hurts the small guy. You do get awesome libraries, awesome schools, and upscale businesses.

RenneB
09-18-2012, 09:31 PM
You'd be right at home in the Queen city. I spent a few years there and would love to go back....

Renne.....

max
09-18-2012, 10:11 PM
http://americanexpatchiangmai.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/bangkok-skyline-night1.jpg
?

------------------------------------------------

Karren H
09-18-2012, 10:42 PM
I so love Pittsburgh and will never leave.... It was voted the most livable city many times and super affordable and plenty to do.... 1.3 million people in the county... most registered boaters in the US... Great health care which is important as you get older... not east coast but not mid-west.... The burgh!! Always something going on... They don't seem to mind what you do and how you dress as long you wear some black n gold!! Go Steelers!!

Lorileah
09-18-2012, 10:56 PM
Boulder Co: they accept everyone man...coool. You are vegetarian right?

Stephanie-L
09-18-2012, 10:58 PM
I suppose it depends on what kind of work you do, and what kind of weather you want. I am living in the DFW, Texas area and have found it surprisingly easy for me while I am transitioning. I am out pretty much everywhere but at work, and plan on transitioning on the job. The taxes here are reasonable, no income tax and property taxes aren't terrible. Yes, it is the Bible Belt, but there are lots of alternative type folks here too. The biggest downside is that the summers can be miserable, and we do have the occasional tornado. Mostly the folks are friendly, I ahve not had one hassle here in the city, but getting out into some of the small towns may be different. Good luck to you...............Stephanie

Cynthia Anne
09-18-2012, 11:01 PM
Gee! I like where I'm at! Hell yes! 'Cause I'm a redneck GIRL!!!!!!

kellycan27
09-18-2012, 11:08 PM
LA is nice, but it's really expensive, and .... there's nowhere to park LOL

Ashley D.
09-18-2012, 11:20 PM
We are really thinking of just moving in to the Atl any one think that's a good plane?

whowhatwhen
09-18-2012, 11:47 PM
Move to Canada, up here we have donut stores on literally every block!
:P

ArleneRaquel
09-18-2012, 11:49 PM
Move to Canada, up here we have donut stores on literally every block!

But whowhatwhen donuts so so harmful to a gal's figure. :2c::straightface::straightface:

Ashley D.
09-19-2012, 12:07 AM
I so love Pittsburgh and will never leave.... It was voted the most livable city many times and super affordable and plenty to do.... 1.3 million people in the county... most registered boaters in the US... Great health care which is important as you get older... not east coast but not mid-west.... The burgh!! Always something going on... They don't seem to mind what you do and how you dress as long you wear some black n gold!! Go Steelers!!

But I'm a die hard falcons fan! I love the black Silver white and red!

Lorileah
09-19-2012, 12:14 AM

Sorry Denver just rescinded it's bid,,,we even brought in a NASCAR team to make you feel at home but since Danny Reeves went to ATL...well we aren't over that yet

whowhatwhen
09-19-2012, 12:18 AM
Hey! We have a hockey team here too!
It also doubles as a comedy troupe!

sometimes_miss
09-19-2012, 01:11 AM
Well, there's San Francisco and New York, both of which have large alternative lifestyle populations. there's a town somewhere in New England where they have some kind of gender celebration every year. And the town in Colorado, (Trinidad I think?) where they did most of the TS surgeries before Marci Bowers moved her practice would probably be a good bet as well.

STACY B
09-19-2012, 05:15 AM
Ha,,,Ha,,, Rednecks are everywhere ,,, Just plow threw um an make ya own nest where ever you want away from um or right in the middle of um ,,, Pile um up an make a nest outta of rednecks at the Nascar trac,,,, Or move here an make it better for me to get my pedi from you ,,,LOL,,, Dont worry bout nothing not a Ting !!

STACY B
09-19-2012, 05:43 AM
No joking ,,I would move where the Doctors you use would be close ,,,Just me ,,,

linda allen
09-19-2012, 06:02 AM
It's fine to ask advice here on the "transitioning" theme, but there are other sources to find good locations for quality schools (important since y0ou have children) job opportunities, and quality of life.

I would think employment opportunities in your (or your wife's) field would be really important because without a good, well paying job, you'll be living in the less desirable part of town, your children will be in the less desirable schools and have less desirable friends, and things will go downhill from there.

That said, from my perspective, (and it's been 50+ years since I even visited), pretty much anything goes on the west coast of the USA.

linda allen
09-19-2012, 06:05 AM
We are really thinking of just moving in to the Atl any one think that's a good plane?

A couple friends of mine live outside Atlanta and have lived in the area all their lives. They have commented that they don't like the direction it seems to be going. It should be noted that they would probably be considered "rednecks".

Lorileah
09-19-2012, 10:44 AM
And the town in Colorado, (Trinidad I think?) where they did most of the TS surgeries before Marci Bowers moved her practice would probably be a good bet as well. Um....no. No no no....no. They didn't even like the money the hospital brought...now they don't like transpeople much at all... just no. Denver OK, Boulder OK, Ft Collins OK. Colorado Springs probably not...anything south of that...no

VickysBFF
09-19-2012, 11:51 AM

So that's what's REALLY wrong with you! :)
Seriously, though, my top recommendations would be if you want to remain in the Southeastern US go to New Orleans. You have to give up your love of all things Falcon but NOLA is a very friendly and accepting place for everyone in the LGBTQ community. A good-sized city with a lot of ammenities, decent cost of living, etc.
If you are willing to go anywhere, California is the place to be. I've lived there for several years and most of the big cities are very friendly to the LGBTQ community. San Francisco tops the list and Los Angeles, San Diego, Oakland, San Jose, Sacramento, etc. are all good options although the cost of living is very high.
Best of luck to you in whatever you decide.

RADER
09-19-2012, 01:39 PM
It's all relative to income. Higher earners want more public services, which is all good and fine, but it hurts the small guy. You do get awesome libraries, awesome schools, and upscale businesses.

NO!!! Just a lot of greedy corrupt Politicians.
They would sell their mother for a buck.
Rader

Alexisninsar
09-19-2012, 02:01 PM
The Wilton Manor area west (Fort Lauderdale Florida) of is rather accepting

kimdl93
09-19-2012, 02:08 PM
I'm presuming that your employment situation makes moving fairly easy in your case. If so, then I would think Atlanta would be OK. There are rednecks everywhere, but you'll find far greater diversity in a city the size of Atlanta than in some smaller places. Of course, if I could choose, I'd head for someplace that has 4 seasons....I miss winter!

Jorja
09-19-2012, 02:38 PM
Of course, if I could choose, I'd head for someplace that has 4 seasons....I miss winter!
We could trade Kim. I think winter sucks!

As foolish as it sounded..... Stacy B is correct. I moved to a small town in Ohio right in the heart of the areas redneck population. I have never had a problem. I even kissed a few of them once they washed the tobacco juice out of their mouth. Find a place where you can be easily employed, good schools, and low taxes.

joank
09-19-2012, 03:08 PM
"they say californiy is the place you ought to be, so load your family up for the hills of beverly." (If you can afford it.)

Lorileah
09-19-2012, 03:10 PM
NO!!! Just a lot of greedy corrupt Politicians.
They would sell their mother for a buck.
Rader

Sounds pretty cheap to me, usually mothers go for a lot more. Now "mothers" they can sell at that price

whowhatwhen
09-19-2012, 03:23 PM
I even kissed a few of them once they washed the tobacco juice out of their mouth.

Oh dear lord...

char Post[ 20 ];

MicheleCooper
09-19-2012, 05:41 PM
Wouldn't do Vegas, schools are not the greatest, the power company raises their rates at least twice a year (have to look to see when the utility commission actually turn them down for a rate hike) and when it hits 110, summers can be expensive. We have a 'zoo' here but the last time I went, we were lucky enough to see a monkey finger another monkey's butt! Yeah that was interesting. The thing I really hate...no real history, they talk about it, they like to showcase it, but they also like to tear it down and rebuild a new history.

Cindy M
09-19-2012, 06:13 PM
Come on down near McDonough :)

Anna B
09-19-2012, 06:18 PM
I even kissed a few of them once they washed the tobacco juice out of their mouth.

"Oh, dear Lord" is right. You gals really know how to have a good time over there!

jackielou
09-19-2012, 06:22 PM
greenville south carolina and surrounding area beautiful country no people problems and no atlanta traffic

Marie-Elise
09-19-2012, 06:44 PM

I live just outside in Decatur. Moved there three years ago. First time my wife and I went out for brunch, there was a CD waiting for a table in front of us. We love it. Don't know about other places in GA though.

Annette Todd
09-19-2012, 08:24 PM
Boulder Co: they accept everyone man...coool. You are vegetarian right?

I heard they require potential residents to declare Democratic party affiliation. Oh! and it helps if you're a current or former hippie!:doh:

Ashley D.
09-19-2012, 09:35 PM
So that's what's REALLY wrong with you! :)
Seriously, though, my top recommendations would be if you want to remain in the Southeastern US go to New Orleans. You have to give up your love of all things Falcon but NOLA is a very friendly and accepting place for everyone in the LGBTQ community. A good-sized city with a lot of ammenities, decent cost of living, etc.
If you are willing to go anywhere, California is the place to be. I've lived there for several years and most of the big cities are very friendly to the LGBTQ community. San Francisco tops the list and Los Angeles, San Diego, Oakland, San Jose, Sacramento, etc. are all good options although the cost of living is very high.
Best of luck to you in whatever you decide.

Yea but I really see something wrong with living on the coast and being below see level.

Ashley D.
09-19-2012, 09:37 PM
The Wilton Manor area west (Fort Lauderdale Florida) of is rather accepting

I'm from Hollywood Fla. never going back!

Ashley D.
09-19-2012, 09:43 PM
I'm in a place like that now but everyone knows me.
I really don't want my kids with some hicks s@#t.

PretzelGirl
09-19-2012, 10:04 PM
Here is the way I look at it. Post a thread about accepting places and you get a laundry list of cities. Post a thread about non-accepting places and get another laundry list with a lot of overlap from the first one. Go where you will be happy with your job and family life. If you and your family are happy, the rest will flow.

I used to live in Suwanee before coming west. A nice area with good people and all the services you could want. Found after being there a while that my life existed mostly in a six mile radius. Going to a big city, or outside of it, can be shocking if you aren't used to that kind of life. Keep it as a consideration.

Angela Campbell
09-19-2012, 10:48 PM
Love Atlanta......at least the surrounding areas. Lived there for 20 years. Also loved denver