PDA

View Full Version : Rituals and Habits? (We all have them.)

Ambergold43
09-20-2012, 09:13 AM
Hey everyone, this is just a simple 2-part, open-ended question. I'm interested to hear your responses!

1) (Rituals) When you dress, are you aware of any sort of ritualized or consistent activity that you perform before and while getting "en femme"? Are there certain things you always tend to do in a specific manner every time? For example, are there certain types of music or movies that you play in the background, or drinks you drink, or anything? Or is every time a completely random experience?

2) (Habits) When you do makeup (or any activity CD-related), do you do it a certain way because you've been doing it that way for a long time (i.e. habitually), or do you tend to try new things every time? For example, do you have a certain "look" that you have been doing for so long that you could do it in your sleep? Or do you try out something new every time?

I started wondering about this not so long ago because I noticed certain things I would do every time I would "dress-up." For instance, I like to have the TV on in the background every time, even if I can't see it from where I am... odd, I know. There are other things I have noticed too, but I'd like to read some of your responses! Let's see how many things we notice!

sissystephanie
09-20-2012, 09:40 AM
I don't thinbk that I have any "rituals" that I do when i dress enfemme! I have been dressing enfemme part time for over 60 years, and it is second nature to me. My habits are pretty much the same as they have always been. I don't wear makeup at all, not do I wear a wig. My late wife used to do my makeup and fix my wig, and when she died I just quit doing those things. I still dress, but look like the man that I am!

StaceyXOXOX
09-20-2012, 09:48 AM
I like to have music playing loud. Usually female country singers or female pop artists. Lately its been miranda lambert, i just love her sassy attiudute.

Ashlee
09-20-2012, 09:49 AM
I put my wig on last. Last as in all the makeup is done etc, a sort of the crowning (tiara-ing?) to cap off the whole ensemble. Does this count as ritual?

Erica2Sweet
09-20-2012, 10:25 AM
When I'm doing eyeliner, and I think I have enough on...I remind myself to just keep going. :)

Julie Denier
09-20-2012, 10:38 AM
I always get completely dressed before putting on my makeup and wig, to maximize my time spent wearing the garments (and shoes!) I enjoy. In the grand scheme, that extra time is probably negligible, but hey, it's a ritual ;)

kimdl93
09-20-2012, 10:46 AM
I have a process...starting with cleansing and finishing with lipstick - but the steps and order are more a matter of how I was taught rather than some obsessive need. I do react differently to my reflection as the process evolves. It feels a bit weird at first, as my appearance changes with the application of concealer, eye shadow, liner, mascara, foundation and blush, lip liner and lipstick. At that point - I feel that I look like a dude in makeup...but with addition of a wig, it seems that the incongruity seems to go away. Even without my bra, forms and shaper, I feel I'm 80-90% where I want to be at this point.

Beverley Sims
09-20-2012, 11:40 AM
Makeup and hair are last if going out.
Do not want to mess them up.
No real ritual.

bridget thronton
09-20-2012, 11:45 AM
Not really - I just get dressed and decide whether ibwant to wear more makeup than lipstick

Lorileah
09-20-2012, 11:57 AM
The whole thing is a ritual. I don't always have things going and I don't drink while getting dressed (afterwards now that is a whole nuther story).

I do do things (do do?) in the same order each time. I shave my legs while the bath is filling (shave before you wet in hot water, the water makes your skin swell and you don't get as close a shave). Then I take a bath. Now in the winter I may soak for awhile with a glass of sweet wine but usually I shave my face, wash everything. Then I get out, pat dry and stand naked in the summer or in a robe in the winter and put the make up on, eyes first, foundation, lips, cheeks. Then I start dressing undergarments. I don't dress before that because evidently I am messy and I get eye shadow or powder or whatever on me. Then I put on my dress (or top and skirt), usually three times. Now jewelry, necklace, earrings. Easier to put them on before the wig. Then the wig (again usually three times). Primp, Finger rings, bracelets, shoes. Shoes are after everything is set because I can't see my in the mirror when I put the shoes on except my breasts. Total time 26 hours 47 minutes and 13 seconds. :)

Actually total is 60-90 minutes.

Persephone
09-20-2012, 12:01 PM
No ritual, but habitual method for getting dressed, keeps me from forgetting stuff.

Plug in curling iron. Shave and apply foundation. Get dressed while foundation drying. Apply eyeshadow and liquid eyeliner. Put on jewelry while eyeliner drying. Mascara, brow gel, lipliner. Do hair, unplug curling iron, hairspray. Apply lipstick, insert hearing aids, finish hair, put on shoes. Grab purse and keys. Head out door.

Total time is 30-40 minutes.

Hugs,
Persephone.

Jocelyn Quivers
09-20-2012, 01:59 PM
1. No Rituals other than Complete Silence! No music, No TV, No Talking it's all about complete business, and getting all dolled up! Spend 1 hour picking outfits, and shaving, do make up and hair, then go crazy taking pictures. :bonk:

2. Basically inherited traits from my male side which means doing the exact same thing over and over again. Ex. always wear the exact same type of make up, hairstyle, and take pics in the exact same stance, if I do feel like doing something different I'll go to another room to take pics, in the end, never change because change is bad and we fear change!!:eek:

Cynthia Anne
09-20-2012, 04:13 PM
I've never given' it much thought! Unless I'm going out I wear very little makeup! Now lipstick I wear every wakin' moment Same goes for earrings! I don't think I have any rituals but there are some things that I do no matter what! For instance I never go braless except when taking a shower! My purse must be by my side 24/7!

Cheryl T
09-20-2012, 04:15 PM
Can't say that I do other than spending hours deciding what to wear....LOL.

Karren H
09-20-2012, 04:18 PM
Is locking the door... twice and sweeping the room for hidden cameras a ritual? lol.

Cheryl T
09-20-2012, 04:19 PM
Is locking the door... twice and sweeping the room for hidden cameras a ritual? lol.

No, that's OCD with a touch of Paranoia

Helen_Highwater
09-20-2012, 04:37 PM
I don't get many occasions to fully dress and by fully I mean with full make-up but when I do the first thing I put on are the false nails. Why? Because it alters the way I do everything after that. You can’t be ham fisted when wearing nails and doing eye make-up, lacing a corset, putting on tights, doing up a zipper or buttoning a blouse.

It’s a sort of trigger to start to move and act in a more fem way and to immerse in my fem persona.

Stefanie jones
09-20-2012, 04:42 PM
yes shave first then i put some heels on this is my trigger to knee going love high hels

panties then bra

then make up then dresss or skirt then the wig last

once i put those shoes on I m not stopping

CarmenSkye
09-20-2012, 04:45 PM

This x100000 also remove make-up up to 3 times.

Meghan
09-20-2012, 05:11 PM
1) (Rituals) When you dress, are you aware of any sort of ritualized or consistent activity that you perform before and while getting "en femme"? Are there certain things you always tend to do in a specific manner every time? For example, are there certain types of music or movies that you play in the background, or drinks you drink, or anything? Or is every time a completely random experience?

Great question!

First, a shower. In the shower, a full body shave to clean up loose hairs. I can get hairy fast if I don't stay on top of it.

Then it's about a 20-30 min cool down, usually flipping through a fashion magazine (totally different topic, I have always loved them) in just a pair of panties or boy-shorts (you know, the girl shorts that are called boy-shorts).

Next is the makeup...which is covered in question 2 :)

Last is always the wig because it makes my head hot!

When I dress alone, there is undoubtedly a trance mix booming through the house. Actually even when we get ready together I will put on one of my mixes...which is almost always custom made ahead of time which makes each experience unique in that way.

2) (Habits) When you do makeup (or any activity CD-related), do you do it a certain way because you've been doing it that way for a long time (i.e. habitually), or do you tend to try new things every time? For example, do you have a certain "look" that you have been doing for so long that you could do it in your sleep? Or do you try out something new every time?

Right now, it changes every time. We picked up the 144 color palate so I am working my way through that to find combos that work. Pinks, purples and blues seem to be best shadow wise, but I am trying greens tonight :)

More often than not, it's a heavy dark top lid with black liquid eyeliner. I love that 40's-60's type of look and I have super deep-set eyes, so it helps add depth.

I tend to go in this order:

Base, powder, shadow primer, curl lashes, mascara primer, eyeliner, mascara, shadow, blush, lipliner (optional), drink of water, then lipstick to finish the look. I like having the flexibility to change the lip at the last minute, because the eye has always been my favorite to play with :)

I started wondering about this not so long ago because I noticed certain things I would do every time I would "dress-up." For instance, I like to have the TV on in the background every time, even if I can't see it from where I am... odd, I know. There are other things I have noticed too, but I'd like to read some of your responses! Let's see how many things we notice!

Thanks again. I didn't realize there was a routine going on that I previously thought. By the way, LOVE the profile picture!

Meghan

Joanne.England
09-20-2012, 05:26 PM
I'm new to this, I normally shave, get dressed and then put on lipstick and some blusher. not quited got to foundatin yet.

Angela Campbell
09-20-2012, 05:30 PM
Well I have no problem deciding what to wear....just what to wear first, then second, then well you know.

PretzelGirl
09-20-2012, 09:02 PM
I think it is a good way to separate them out as habits and rituals. There are certainly differences.

I do like to try different things with the make-up some and with my hair a lot. Most of the make-up is habitual and as already said, it is a result of how I was taught. I experiment a little with the make-up but I have the fear of really screwing it up and running out of time. While with the hair I am more willing to try something out as I can always bail and run it through a straightener and go. It wouldn't look great, but it wouldn't be embarrassing either.

DianeDeBris
09-20-2012, 09:29 PM
No, that's OCD with a touch of Paranoia

I agree with what Karen and Cheryl are saying. Personally, I have CDO - it's pretty much like OCD but with the letters lined up in the correct sequence.

Meghan
09-20-2012, 09:43 PM
I think it is a good way to separate them out as habits and rituals. There are certainly differences.

I do like to try different things with the make-up some and with my hair a lot. Most of the make-up is habitual and as already said, it is a result of how I was taught. I experiment a little with the make-up but I have the fear of really screwing it up and running out of time. While with the hair I am more willing to try something out as I can always bail and run it through a straightener and go. It wouldn't look great, but it wouldn't be embarrassing either.

Having to get makeup done in a set amount of time is stressful, but also quite a rush! That sense of urgency, especially if I have to stop and redo something like the lips or an eye, sends my heart into my throat, not unlike a rollercoaster does.

Meghan

Rachel Morley
09-20-2012, 09:44 PM
No ritual, but habitual method for getting dressed, keeps me from forgetting stuff.
Yes! LOL ... for me it's not a "ritual" but I do have a process that I systematically try to reproduce so I get reliable repeatability on the way I look. If I don't do this and just "freestyle it" I've ended up going out two times without something. Once was no blush and once was (can you believe?) no mascara!! :eek:

Diane Smith
09-20-2012, 10:14 PM
I wouldn't say it's a "ritual," but like a pilot with a pre-flight checklist, I try to do things in the same order and the same way each time, so I don't forget anything and can get done in the most time-efficient way possible. I feel pressed for time when preparing for many of my outings (my 8:00 AM Saturday nail appointments are the worst!) and prefer not to waste a minute that could be spent sleeping!

I like experimenting with clothes and makeup, but not in the heat of getting ready for an outing. I'd rather have everything all worked out in advance so I can focus on enjoying my activities and deal with the "bumps in the road" that will invariably come up. I have, for example, gone to an unfamiliar makeup artist before a party I had anticipated for weeks, and was disappointed with the results, which really took the edge off my enjoyment of the evening. I try to avoid those situations when I can.

Quiet Sunday nights at home are great for doing my wardrobe, hair and makeup experiments.

- Diane