PDA

View Full Version : Where should I start?

NicoleKent
09-20-2012, 05:48 PM
Hi! I've only recently begun experimenting with crossdressing, and I'm still trying to find my place on the spectrum. I don't have a lot of disposable income right now, so my question is, what do you have, or what do you do that makes you feel most like a woman? Bras and panties? Shoes? Makeup?

Basically, I want to enter this brave new world, but I'm kind of overwhelmed, where should I start?

Abbygirl
09-20-2012, 05:54 PM
the entire package is nice, but if I had to pick one thing it would probably be doing my hair. My bathroom counter has about a jillion bottles and cans and brushes.

Angela Campbell
09-20-2012, 05:56 PM
Start with what you like. Beware it is a slippery slope and will eat up all of your money eventually. I started with the underclothes and then one day went all the way with a dress and makeup, then shoes, jewelry, more makeup, body shapers, more skirts and tops, more shoes, more underwear, more makeup, another dress, hose, shoes, makeup, leggings, jewelry, false nails, false lashes, false boobies, more false boobies, more makeup, more shoes, another two dresses, a purse, a sweater, more hose, more bras, tons of panties, and soon electrolosis, laser, eyebrow shaping,

and then the second week!

Amy A
09-20-2012, 05:58 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Ummmmmm...... Thats a tough one. For me, there's no one thing, I need to be fully dressed to feel right. Sorry, I'm guessing that's not very helpful!

It's probably something that's different for everyone though. It's best to figure out what you want to try first. Just go with your gut instinct and have fun!

kimdl93
09-20-2012, 06:01 PM
Start by reading and learning. Then, when money is less of an issue, get some basic undergarments, a few nice outfits and some basic make up. Mir you enjoy that, then get beast forms, a wig and a corset, and be prepared for some surprises.

Anna B
09-20-2012, 06:08 PM
Start with what you like. Beware it is a slippery slope and will eat up all of your money eventually. I started with the underclothes and then one day went all the way with a dress and makeup, then shoes, jewelry, more makeup, body shapers, more skirts and tops, more shoes, more underwear, more makeup, another dress, hose, shoes, makeup, leggings, jewelry, false nails, false lashes, false boobies, more false boobies, more makeup, more shoes, another two dresses, a purse, a sweater, more hose, more bras, tons of panties, and soon electrolosis, laser, eyebrow shaping,

and then the second week!

Yes, I agree with almostalady, except I'm only up to Tuesday so far!!!

Karren J
09-20-2012, 06:15 PM
For me underwear is the winner, breast forms, panties and a slip turns me into a new woman :D add some stockings and a garter-belt and you just about have to tie me to the ground!

Kelly

Angela Campbell
09-20-2012, 06:16 PM
Lord and I forgot all about the wigs, the body lotions, exfoliation stuff, epilators, nail polish, teeth whitener, hair spray, magnifying mirrors, oh my the list just keeps going on and on......did I mention makeup?

Allisa
09-20-2012, 06:18 PM
Same as Abbygirl long hair and the care, and my fave brushing so it shines.Also nightgowns so I can sleep peacefully.

Barbra P
09-20-2012, 06:34 PM
Hi Nicole

Like Rachel I’m afraid my answer won’t be much help. Again, like Rachel, I need to be fully dressed, bra, forms, hair (wig), makeup, shoes, jewelry, nails, and even perfume or scent. I enjoy the process of getting dressed and putting on makeup and it is an integral part of my day when I do dress. But you will find many on this site that that get a great deal of pleasure out of just under dressing – you just need to find where in the spectrum you fit.

You can easily spend $20 or $30 on a lipstick, but you can also find a really nice lipstick for under $10 and the same goes for other makeup items. Your makeup doesn’t have to come from MAC or Sephora check out Wal-Mart, Walgreens, or Target and you can often find some very nice clothes at many thrift stores. Always shop around, a Playtex bra might cost $35 at Macy’s but the same bra sells for about $23 at Penny’s and Payless has some very reasonably priced shoes.

It’s not unusual to find good breast forms selling for $150 and up but if that is out of your budget and it is for many of us there are other things that work pretty well. Cut off the feet from a pair of pantyhose and fill them with bird seed (the smaller the bird seed the better) or even rice. I’ve used Miracle-Gro “Water Storing Crystals and large 36in latex balloons. The water crystals are quite cheap and it only takes a table-spoon or so mixed with some water to create a jell that gives a very realistic feeling breast – not much to look at but they are going to be concealed in a bra. You can Email me if you want more information on how to make these. Wigs can be expensive, I paid $150 at a wig salon for the one I’m using now, but I started with much cheaper wigs, wigs costing around $30; check out eBay.

I didn’t buy everything all at once, I decided what I needed next and when I saved up enough I bought that item and then I started saving for what I wanted next. I have several women’s Tee-shirts that I bought at Avenue for $5 apiece; Avenue has some great prices and they are CD friendly.

Good luck – you’ll get there in time.

Meghan
09-20-2012, 07:22 PM
Hmmmm...

What attracted you to crossdressing? Why does it sound interesting to you? When you close your eyes, can you picture anything specific?

I started with panties and hose (and dreamed of garters and stockings) and kind of worked my way up the ladder from there. If money is tight, try a Good Will store. You can get a skirt for $4 and a complete outfit for a total of $15 dollars or less! Sometimes you have to get lucky to find something perfect, but I started my wardrobe there a long time ago.

Good luck and welcome to the club! One word of warning: once you start you won't be able to stop. Fem it up at your own risk!

Meghan

Emily Barton
09-20-2012, 08:06 PM
Well, I started out convinced all I'd need was a dress or two to wear occasionally but as the others say... things do gradually spiral out of control. I never saw myself going the whole way with make-up, a wig etc... and now with autumn on the way I find myself shopping for jumpers and boots! If I could only have one thing, though, for me it would still be a dress.

DeeDeeB
09-20-2012, 08:16 PM
For me, it is the whole package or any part of it that works for the day. But, if you are on a budget like me, go to the thrift shops. I've gotten lots of very pretty, slightly used dresses, skirts and blouses there for 10.00 to 20.00 dollars. If you aren't comfortable trying things on there, make sure they have a return, or at least an exchange policy. If I feel nervious, I can always say I'm shopping for my wife.

Dee :fairy1:

NicoleKent
09-20-2012, 08:42 PM
OK, just made my first purchase, I got a bra, panties, a skirt, 2 tops, and a cheap wig for $40 including shipping by bargain shopping on Amazon. Needless to say, I'm excited :)

DeeDeeB
09-20-2012, 08:45 PM
You go girl. Post some pix if you feel comfortable.

Dee :fairy1:

Karren H
09-20-2012, 09:08 PM
I'd start by finding a better job..... and saving money.... crossdressing is fun and all but in these economic times and probably worse to come... I'd be concentrating on getting ahead.... just saying......

NicoleKent
09-20-2012, 10:03 PM
Thanks for all the advice and support, I don't think I've ever had so many responses back so quick on any forum before. And just to clarify, I'm not in any dire economic circumstance, I am just very careful about budgeting, and working in a whole new wardrobe is expensive, so I am trying to build gradually

jaanine
09-21-2012, 12:10 AM
hi nicole welcome to the life i started with panties and hosiery then shoes as far as outfits i started casual like jeans and blouses then bras and forms wig then make-up then the dress, jeans were something if you found some plain pocketed ones you could wear around more frequently with out notice just cover your butt alittle around your friends as they make it look very nice i also found some womens tennis shoes that didnt look too obvious but i knew what they were and that was what mattered have fun xo

Beverley Sims
09-21-2012, 12:30 AM
Start at the very beginning.
When you start you begin with doh rey me.
Then you go out and buy something that takes your fancy.
Lingerie is usually a good start.

heatherdress
09-21-2012, 12:46 AM
Welcome Nicole. You already have a lot of good ideas in this thread. I just encourage you to go slow and enjoy developing yourself. Make your personal growth fun. Enjoy developing a wardrobe, obtaining make-up, buying a wig - or whatever you think you would like to try and use in your dressing. Maybe there is someone who can help treach you what you need to know. You can find bargains at thrift shops, Walmart, Payless. You will find out were you are on the "spectrum". Feel good about being on the spectrum, too. Welcome.

Esteafanie
09-21-2012, 07:02 AM
My advice, start with Craigslist, but would recommend Freecycle in you r area. you could find tons of free clothing, the only problem is picking up. but that is definitely the way to get a few clothes for free, then you should be able to put together a decent wardrobe. Keep Experimenting ;)

I Am Paula
09-21-2012, 07:27 AM
Just my HO, boobs and bra and panties. Then heels.

GeminaRenee
09-21-2012, 08:15 AM
Well, it seems you've already bought some clothes, so that's a good start. I do recommend some hosiery also.

Actually, what I'd really recommend (if you're not doing it already) is that you get rid of your body hair. It can take a little while to adjust to, as far as itching and ingrown hairs, but it's worth it to be past that phase. And most importantly, being smooth will absolutely enhance the feeling of anything you wear, let alone your new femme clothes.

Just my $0.02.

Have fun (:

Tina B.
09-21-2012, 09:17 AM
Next time your at the market shopping, throw in a pair of pantyhose, it's about as cheap as you can get, and have something that is easy to wear that feels very feminine. Then start where you Are most interested, some of us are shoe freaks, and have many many pair, some start with panties and bra, need that bra tom help get the shape. End of season shopping helps save a bunch, because after the panties, bra, and hose, are the cheap part, dressing the outside, gets a little more expensive. a dress on sale, can be cheaper than a skirt and blouse. Set a limit of how much a payday you can spend, and watch for bargains, you will be dressed in no time.
Tina B.

clarisse_tv
09-21-2012, 11:54 AM
seems a good start :), you can add ears piercing, nowadays this is unisex but wearing dangly earrings feels you so femme

StarrOfDelite
09-21-2012, 12:10 PM
Everyone is different, so it's hard to give advice.

Someone mentioned depilating, and there's nothing that will de-masculinize your body quicker or more dramatically, but as numerous threads on this forum have demonstrated that is not an option available to many CD's who have a wife, a steady SO, or a job which exposes their bare legs to the ridicule of macho co-workers. I think that getting rid of facial hair and long sideburns is sort of mandatory for CD'ing, but I've been to GNO's and chatted with girls who are in full DRAG with a moustache, goatee and legs that could double as Br'er Rabbit's briar patch.

If you have a modicum of privacy, I'd suggest that for under a hundred bucks you can get a beginner's makeup case (EBay), a wig that will pass in most places except direct sunlight (EBay), a bra, some bikini panties and thigh highs and/or pantyhose (Walmart/KMart), and a couple of pre-worn skirts and blouses (local thrift store), and a pair of pre-worn heels (EBay).

Some of the more expensive items include a really good wig, and a set of high quality breast forms.

Don't get discouraged. I've been doing this for more than fifteen years, and there are still makeup techniques that I haven't mastered but which seem to be DNA ingrained in genetic women.

Oh, yes, when buying clothes. Be aware that a woman's bra size is not the same as a man's suit size. Measure around your rib cage under your nipples to get the bra size, do not use the under-the-armpits measurement.

NicoleKent
09-21-2012, 03:42 PM
I'm way to scared at this point to make any changes that will be noticeable when I'm not dressed like ear piercings an shaving my legs. I'm so excited for my stuff I ordered to get here though!

Lucy Lou
09-21-2012, 04:20 PM
You are so right there. I have bought some new things on line that are coming this week but 2 days ago I shaved my whole body and I really love the way it feels and looks.

Lucy xx

Miriam-J
09-21-2012, 06:31 PM
Start with whatever is most important to you. If it's foundation (panties, bra, hose) or makeup, stick with inexpensive items from a discount store. Once you move on to blouses, dresses, and skirts you can't beat a Goodwill or Salvation Army store at $2 to $10 per item - and better variety than you'll find at any department store. If you need a wig, Paula's (on-line) seems to have the lowest prices for reasonable quality, but it's not cheap. Shoes can be found for $15-40 on-line as well, and with much more variety than stores if you wear a larger size (add one to the men's size).

Good luck, but be careful to stay within your budget.

Miriam

NicoleKent
09-22-2012, 04:50 AM
I just went into WalMart really early in the morning with the intention of buying a pair of panties and a cami, but I chickened out :/. Saw a guy in full female mode coming in as I was leaving too. I smiled and said good morning, but inside I really wanted to say "How can I have your courage?"

Mollyanne
09-22-2012, 04:58 AM
In your circumstance that is a very difficult question as it is different for all of us. Let me turn the question around to you; what would you consider to be the most feminine article of clothing in your circumstance????? Once you start, there is NO stopping, this is called the PINK FOG!!!!!! The biggest bang for the buck is from a thrift store!!!!! Lingerie you should buy new. Hope this helps!!!!!

Molly

PS: The thing(s) that got me started were a garter belt and full fashioned stockings!!!!! THOSE WERE THE DAYS!!!!!!

JaytoJillian
09-22-2012, 05:10 AM
Welcome to the forum!

Ummmmmm...... Thats a tough one. For me, there's no one thing, I need to be fully dressed to feel right. Sorry, I'm guessing that's not very helpful!

It's probably something that's different for everyone though. It's best to figure out what you want to try first. Just go with your gut instinct and have fun!

I am with Rachel on this one---I need to do the makeup, hair, clothes and shoes in order to feel like I have myself together. In buying makeup, if money is not an issue---find a MAC store and have them match a foundation--creme and powder to your skin---also pick up some translucent powder to set the the creme stuff---this will save you lots of time and money experimenting... I find that mascara, eyeliner, eye shadow, lipstick, etc is best procured from a drugstore like CVS or Walgreens

STACY B
09-22-2012, 05:55 AM
Me an Fran started in the Bathroom in the Dirty Clothes Basket at someone elses house ,,,Hey You asked ,,,,LOL,,,,, Honesty is still the best !!!