PDA

View Full Version : You might not consider this a CDing question.

Wildaboutheels
09-20-2012, 11:00 PM
I beg to differ.

How many GAY people do you know?

Doesn't matter if they are relatives, friends, acquaintances, people you work with etc.

bridget thronton
09-21-2012, 01:47 AM
I know several (my son has gay inlaws who married in England)

jennCD
09-21-2012, 02:05 AM
Quite a few.

:)
jenn

AllieSF
09-21-2012, 04:18 AM
I know several including a lesbian couple, one of whom just happens to be the sister on my "to be" daughter-in-law. No big deal. I probably have met more but didn't really know they were gay. No need to advertise, right?

Cheryl T
09-21-2012, 04:36 AM
A dozen at least currently. Most are co-workers.
I've known and been friends with more over the years.

WHY????

Cynthia Anne
09-21-2012, 04:41 AM
Quite a few including two of my brothers!

Shari
09-21-2012, 04:47 AM
Good question. Surprisingly none.
Can't think of even one.
If they are, they're still in the closet, just like me and my dressing.

Jeanna
09-21-2012, 04:58 AM
i refuse to answer that question. It is biased. It seems that you think that cd's know more gay people than "normal".

erickka
09-21-2012, 05:04 AM
Many. Both gay and lesbian. All are wonderful people.

linda allen
09-21-2012, 06:27 AM
I worked with a few in past years but as of now, nobody. One guy who might be gay, just because he's never seen with a woman, but he's never shown any "gay" signals either.

ColleenA
09-21-2012, 06:37 AM
i refuse to answer that question. It is biased. It seems that you think that cd's know more gay people than "normal".

I agree. The OP says this is a CDing question. I want to know how it is before I answer. I fear you have an ulterior motive either to "gotcha" those who answer or to confirm your own unspoken but biased view.

Annie D
09-21-2012, 06:38 AM
Honestly, I don't know and really don't care. I'm sure that some of my friends, aquaintances, neighbors, relatives may be gay but it really doesn't matter. Some of these people are genetic men, genetic women and some I am not sure of.

Back in the 60's and 70's, I can remember saying when talking about an ethnic lifestyle or behavior, I used to say, "I have a ethnically similar friend (you know what I mean) and........". I am past that qualifying statement now and see no reason to do so now. Yes, I do socialize at alternate lifestyle bars and I can assume that people attending, like me, have an alternate lifestyle.

kimdl93
09-21-2012, 08:23 AM
The ones I know are gay, certainly several dozen. The ones who are closeted...probably just as many

Marleena
09-21-2012, 08:35 AM
I replied to this but deleted my answer because I wondered is this a competition to see who has the most gay friends or meant to prove CDer's are more accepting? This board has many gay, Bi and lesbian members and we all get along well here. It would prove nothing and only makes a point of using their sexual preferences to prove a point. Let a private poll of the general public deal with this question instead. BTW I'm trans anyways so I'm not sure if I would count for anything.

Where is this thread leading?

sometimes_miss
09-21-2012, 09:41 AM
about a dozen. Only one of them knows I CD, and she's almost slipped a few times, so I'm quite reluctant to tell anyone else.

Karren H
09-21-2012, 09:51 AM
A lot..... my son and his boyfriend.... and all their friends. and a few at work.... and a couple I went to school with..... never really sat down and quantified them.... not that I really want to to need to either....

StaceyXOXOX
09-21-2012, 09:57 AM
Just a couple, my wife has an uncle who is and my sister has a stepson that is. I guess being brought up in the church and still involved a lot at church, I don't get to meet many. Of course the church is the reason I have and still do feel guilty about my inner female.

Georgia_Maine
09-21-2012, 10:09 AM
I have no idea. Some I know because of their SO. I don't ask. It's not important and none of my business really. Sexual orientation certainly has no effect on one's integrity and openness to others.

Angela Campbell
09-21-2012, 10:29 AM
No telling, I do not inquire of other peoples sexual preferences. I also do not know how many people I am friends with like oral sex, or bondage. I never ask.

NicoleScott
09-21-2012, 10:36 AM
Where is this thread leading?

Come on, Wild, time to weigh in. Many respondants want to know why you ask.

Meghan
09-21-2012, 11:14 AM
Between a few relatively close friends plus business contacts, plus the multitude of people I encounter in the south Florida community I would say 5 people that I know pretty well, and 30-50 that are casual/social friends who are not necessarily at facebook status.

Plus there are a few from here :)

If bi counts, it's probably fair to double those numbers.

Meghan

StarrOfDelite
09-21-2012, 11:51 AM
As casual acquaintances, probably somewhere around a hundred, and about a dozen as friendly acquaintances. I would not consider any of the latter to be among my handful of lifelong BFF however.

Jocelyn Quivers
09-21-2012, 01:34 PM
I really have no idea nor do I care, I guess it might be the same as I don't know how many bi, friends, or family members I may have or, how many of my hetero friends/family members prefer blondes, red heads, Asians, Latinos, Catholics, Protestants, Athiest, Mormon's, etc. Not really a very important issue with me. :2c:

Wildaboutheels
09-21-2012, 02:12 PM
I know of only 2. KNOW, as in they themselves, TOLD me. I NEVER ask people because it's not something I need to know nor care to know any more than their Religous or political affiliation. Neither of the two men that informed me they were Gay, were CDers.

Granted, I don't go to bars nor do I "get out" much other than regular shopping for stuff like most folks. Yet I have met and worked with a HUGE # of folks over the years because of my line of work. I have yet to meet one person who acts like/portrays themselves as the few gays I have seen depicted on tv.

Isn't it possible or even likely that the 320 people who viewed this thread, but did not respond, know at least a few people who are gay but simply are not aware of it?

Maybe I live in a small world? I certainly don't live in a small city. Of the folks that were good enough to answer, and the 2 or 3 who might read this, HOW is it that you know all the people you know as gay ARE in fact gay? I can only guess that most gay people act and seem like normal people, so that in actuallity, they are out in public everywhere, blending in?

Do ANY of the gay people you know are gay resemble the "over the top" depictions seen on tv?

OR, in your opinion, most people would never know or suspect they are gay?

Amy A
09-21-2012, 02:38 PM
I'm sorry Wild, I don't understand this thread at all. Why is 'how many gay people you know' a CD question? And this line:

'I can only guess that most gay people act and seem like normal people, so that in actuallity, they are out in public everywhere, blending in?'

Kind of sounds like you are talking about invasion of the body snatchers or something!

STACY B
09-21-2012, 02:42 PM
Its a Trick ,,,, I don't know tell me ,,,How many do I know ,,,,,

Beverley Sims
09-21-2012, 03:44 PM
I am aware of five one is a good friend.
He does not pat me on the bum so all is ok.
As for others in the world......
I probably know some more CDers as well. :)

sissystephanie
09-21-2012, 05:13 PM
During my lifetime I have known, and still know, many Gay people. Other than that they are no different than the rest of us! We are all human, and thought we may be different colors or have much different sexual orientation we are still all human beings!! The sooner we all learn that, and treat each other that way the sooner we can all get along!! I am a crossdresser!! So what!! It is my life, not yours!

NicoleScott
09-21-2012, 05:14 PM
Do ANY of the gay people you know are gay resemble the "over the top" depictions seen on tv?

Yes, and I know a few who turn on and turn off that over-the-top effeminate-acting gayness, depending on the present company. They can appear to be straight as an arrow at work, but at other times flaunt their gayness. Hard to tell which one's the act.

Marleena
09-21-2012, 05:17 PM
During my lifetime I have known, and still know, many Gay people. Other than that they are no different than the rest of us! We are all human, and thought we may be different colors or have much different sexual orientation we are still all human beings!! The sooner we all learn that, and treat each other that way the sooner we can all get along!! I am a crossdresser!! So what!! It is my life, not yours!

That I can agree with, well said! :)

Wildaboutheels
09-21-2012, 07:59 PM
So far, only 30 out fof 485 know any gay people? OR, is it that the vast majority here have never met any folks that ACT like the gays that are depicted on TV and they think all gays are created equal or act the same?

I have seen estimates [and who knows how one would make an estimate of such a thing] that 5 to 20% of the population may be gay. Even if it is just 5%, that is an awful lot of gay people "out there" in the RW going undetected. They must ACT and be no diferent than anybody else. So just WHY is our culture so homophobic? Especially so many here? Is the simple answer Ignorance?

Miriam-J
09-21-2012, 08:08 PM
As several have already shared, it's likely that we all know some gay people, but we don't know who they are (well, I'm fairly certain about a few because they told me). Actually this goes with nearly any personal variant you can imagine - lesbian, hermit, bisexual, swinger, BDSM, foot fetist, straight people, and even crossdressers. Look at the percentages and consider how many people you know. Chances are you know several of each at least, and the beauty is that in general you don't know who they are - they're just normal folks.

Miriam

Dawn cd
09-21-2012, 08:44 PM
I belong to a church with a determined outreach to the gay and lesbian community. It is probably the only Catholic Church that has gay and straight people marching side-by-side in NYC's Gay Pride parade. So I know scores, perhaps hundreds, of GLBT folk.

Amy A
09-22-2012, 03:25 AM
So far, only 30 out fof 485 know any gay people? OR, is it that the vast majority here have never met any folks that ACT like the gays that are depicted on TV and they think all gays are created equal or act the same?

I have seen estimates [and who knows how one would make an estimate of such a thing] that 5 to 20% of the population may be gay. Even if it is just 5%, that is an awful lot of gay people "out there" in the RW going undetected. They must ACT and be no diferent than anybody else. So just WHY is our culture so homophobic? Especially so many here? Is the simple answer Ignorance?

Just because people didn't post it doesn't mean they don't know any gay people.

I'm still not sure what you are getting at. And why do you say that so many here are homophobic?

Being gay just isn't that big a deal anymore, gay people don't have to hide who they are or explain themselves to anyone. My neighbours are a gay couple. Nobody on the street cares. They are just normal people who happen to be gay. I worked with a guy for 2 years before I found out he was gay. Absolutely no one in the company cared or treated him any differently because it makes no difference. He doesn't hide being gay, it's just that like everyone else he doesn't feel the need to explain his sexual preference to anyone. And he doesn't need to act in any way to blend in, he is just himself.

I still don't really get where this thread is going, or what exactly the point is that you are trying to make. What is your opinion? What do you think is the situation with the gay community, and what is it about the way they act or how accepted they are that caused you to post this thread?

Amy A
09-22-2012, 03:28 AM
I belong to a church with a determined outreach to the gay and lesbian community. It is probably the only Catholic Church that has gay and straight people marching side-by-side in NYC's Gay Pride parade. So I know scores, perhaps hundreds, of GLBT folk.

I'm not religious, but it's nice to know that there are churches out there that teach acceptance and inclusion. Please, keep up the good work. :)

Beth Wilde
09-22-2012, 10:15 AM
Well, there's my boyfriend! And many other friends.... Although if you put us in an identity parade it's not likely we would be picked out early on!

Ressie
09-22-2012, 12:13 PM
I don't know how many gay people I know. But I can tell you I don't personally know any cross dressers. Acquaintances are more likely to come out and tell you they're gay than tell you they cross dress. But I can only think of one person in my entire life that told me "I'm bi", and she was my gf for a few years. Gay men that I've met don't say anything, and often I have no idea but sometimes figure it out later. I'm not very good at picking it up unless it's obvious.

Thera Home
09-22-2012, 12:19 PM
I beg to differ.

Doesn't matter if they are relatives, friends, acquaintances, people you work with etc.

2 cousins...................and they're GG's (go figure):doh:

Thera

Thera Home
09-22-2012, 12:23 PM
I beg to differ.

2 cousins...................and they're GG's (go figure):doh:

Thera

sissystephanie

YEAH..........YOU GO WIT YO BAD SELF.............Im with you:D

heatherdress
09-22-2012, 12:57 PM
. How many TALL people do you know? Doesn't matter if they are relatives, friends, acquaintances, people you work with etc?
Also. How many BALD people do you know?

Eryn
09-22-2012, 02:39 PM
I really have no idea, as the issue seldom comes up in conversations. Unless the government starts handing out pink triangles it isn't relevant.

Aylineira
09-22-2012, 04:31 PM
Interestingly, I know lesbians and no gays at all.

Thera Home
09-22-2012, 04:58 PM
Interestingly, I know lesbians and no gays at all.

Gay is lesbian or did I fall asleep again and miss something?:heehee:

Thera

JamieQ
09-24-2012, 08:06 PM
You are right, not really a CD question. I am not really sure of the reason for th equestion here. I recently listened to a gay psychiatrist on public radio who was discussing gay tendencies in children. Part of what I got from it was, in his opinion, that being gay and Cding had very little correlation. Anyway, most of the gay men I know are relatives whom have men partners. None to my knowledge are Cders, but I moved away and I have not seem them in over 20 years.

RiverdanceGirl
09-24-2012, 08:50 PM
Over the years I've known exactly 5 gay men and one bisexual woman. One of the gay men was a neighbour, and the other neighbours made some really awful comments about him. It wasn't difficult to tell he was gay but I found him to be a very nice person. I much preferred talking with him than the jerks who made fun of him. The bisexual woman I dated very casually 2 years ago. Of the other 4 men, 1 is an internet friend who has a husband and the other 2 are a couple with whom I have a mutual friend.

susie evans
09-24-2012, 10:49 PM
don't no and really don't care they live there life and i live mine they are all human's and desreve the same respect as every one else

susie

MaryAnn40c
09-24-2012, 11:47 PM
I do know a few gay people but the 1 i know is a total bitch!

Wildaboutheels
09-24-2012, 11:59 PM
If people are not both willing AND able to step up to the plate when and if asked THE question, then you deserve to stay locked in your closet.

Amy A
09-25-2012, 12:12 AM
If people are not both willing AND able to step up to the plate when and if asked THE question, then you deserve to stay locked in your closet.

So unless people either keep a running total of all the gay people they know or tell you that figure on this thread (I'm not sure which it is, I rarely understand the point you are trying to make), they deserve punishment? Wow. *backing slowly out of room*

mikiSJ
09-25-2012, 02:32 AM
I know to partnered couples (California), one female one male. They are always the life of the party, especially when they swap partners and start dancing.

I had a gay accountant who worked for me but he split when his partnered dies of AIDS. Nice, shouldn't have happened to him or his partner.

Shdow_dragoness
09-25-2012, 10:54 AM
I have had a lesbian friend in high school and a gay co-worker currently.

Sarasometimes
09-25-2012, 11:01 AM
All that I have met. I don't usually ask someone thier sexual preference, nor have I every thought to keep track of that statistic. Curious, what nember is the right answer? I do know 5 redheaded people if that helps.

UNDERDRESSER
09-25-2012, 11:48 AM
If people are not both willing AND able to step up to the plate when and if asked THE question, then you deserve to stay locked in your closet.Not sure why you think it necessary to make blanket statements like that. Some people on this forum live in places where the authorities, will jail or execute them for "stepping up to the plate."

To answer your original question, I "know", maybe 4-6 Homosexual or Bi people. In that they have talked about or introduce their partner, or discussed their preference. I've come to understand that something like a dozen or so at work are pretty much definitely Bi or Gay, but it doesn't impact me, or affect their work, who cares?

To quote a climber friend, a girl came up to him once the first time they climbed in the same group, and said "My name is so-snd-so, I'm Lesbian"

He just looked at her puzzled for a second, and replied "Can you Belay?"

rita63
09-25-2012, 12:12 PM
Less than I used to, as many of my generation came out in the 70's in the heady days of gay sex has no disease. Many succumbed to AIDs.
Its not really something that comes up at work or socially unless its a group that is known to be accepting. A co-worker who is "an out gay men" started treating me differently when I dropped the name of a late freind and lover who passed from AIDs.
I know AIDs is not just a gay disease, its just a nasty STD that affects everyone. Be careful with your love.

hugs rita

drushin703
09-25-2012, 03:28 PM
i know all the gay people in the America's. Or does it just seem that way? .......dana

Lorileah
09-25-2012, 03:40 PM

you mean personally or in passing or when I am out in a bar or when I am at a bath house or when I am at the PRIDE parade...

I will say 24. Is that close?

Sarasometimes
09-25-2012, 03:45 PM
Can the OP give us a hint as to what the right answer is? Please.

Tracii G
09-25-2012, 03:49 PM
You are right I don't consider this a CDing question.
Not saying its aliens but it might be aliens.

flatlander_48
09-25-2012, 07:13 PM
In a minute or so, my count was 21. Therefore I would guess that the true number is more like 40. This includes gay men, lesbians and bisexuals of both sexes. All are people that I know to be gay because they have either told me directly or we have attended gay functions. In 63 years, I don't believe that I have ever asked anyone.

All the people I can think of have all appeared to be pretty regular people; nothing outlandish or over the top. And, that speaks to a common misconception. Many in the population at large believe that we are all hair dressers or interior designers (speaking about gay men specifically). Lesbians all dress in jeans and flannel shirts. Regardless of the reality, this is what many people think. Fortunately the truth is that we tend to act and look like anyone else. People just use this as an excuse to marginalize us.

Cindy_Act
09-25-2012, 09:46 PM
Why does this thread irritate me so much?...Is it because it's totally irrelevant to this forum or is it that the originator has some bizzare agenda?

Beth Wilde
09-25-2012, 09:51 PM

Ok, it's 37! Please don't hurt me :)

Regan
09-25-2012, 09:56 PM
I have a cousin and three friends that I know of.

Vickie_CDTV
09-26-2012, 03:48 AM
I have certainly met plenty of gay people through my work etc. I know a number of people well personally who would be classified as gay or bi, but all of them are also trans.