PDA

View Full Version : Male and Female Brain - Transexual and Intersex

MandyTS
11-23-2005, 01:30 AM
Hello all,

I have been doing research on TS trying to understand why things are the way they are in regards to my "mixed" gender (i.e. intersex), etc.

For some background on me...

I have the following "issues"
1. Genetically I have Kallmann's syndrome, basically a break exists in my nervious system in which the signals sent from the pitutary in regards to sex hormones do not work properly (i.e. the brain is short circuited). I can not smell, produce any sex hormones, etc.

2. I was born with microphallius (micropenis, a penis of length shorter than 3 inches errect and 1 inch flacid), this is known as an intersexed condition. I am XY, XX hybrid, but lean towards XY.

3. I have major gender identity issues (not gender dysphoria), being of boith genders I am in the mddle (technically nueter or adrogynous). When the doctors give me testosterone I become very gender dysphoric.

4. I have a female sexual orietation, (I.e. I like guys not girls), some say I a gay, I say I am heterosexual in my correct gender.

The question is in regards to number 3, and the answer may be on interest to many of you in the community.

The hypothalimus is a structure in the brain that acts as a control center for different functions. Mine is faulity, I can not smell, etc. It is therorized that on the hypothalimus a section known as the stria terminalis is responsable for gender, another section is proposed to to responsable for orientation (see number 4). Males and females have remarkably different amount of cells in this area.

We surpose that during conception a period in the mothers body. If the DNA map is faulty or certain hormones for whatever reason to not come the brain gender follows the wrong path, female in a male body or male in a female body. In my case about 3 months into the process testosterone that should be present was not, causing number 2 to occur and the variance in gender. We also perpose that because I have so many gemale characteristics in my development that the initial instructions may have been faulty, a female roadmap was used causing a female brain wiring to form. Finally the small characteristics in the brain cause masculity or feminity, because of the male role in most of my DNA I tend to be more masculine that most females although I am wired female.

What does this all mean... as I suspected I am a girl and should have and will be assigned one. It is not really a choice then, I am just going with what my body wants.

I hope this sheeds a bit of insite on all of this, it was sure a shock for me.

Mandy

Stephenie
11-23-2005, 02:43 AM
Thanks for sharing this with us. It is a very personel post. Best wishs on your sex assignment surgury.

MandyTS
11-23-2005, 04:01 AM
The big thing is finally having a brief glimpse of what is really going on with us all. Of course some of this applies to me but for many others the information is valid.