PDA

View Full Version : confusing my pets!

AngelaMichelle
09-22-2012, 12:03 PM
Just wondering how many of us confuse our pets. I recently was given a 9y/o amazon parrot and also have the opportunity to live alone. Living alone means I have been able to truly explore my feminine side. Problem is my parrot freaks out when I leave the room a man and come back a female. Billie (the bird) won't calm down till I actually speak to her. I think it's kinda funny and was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same.

~Angela

Saffron
09-22-2012, 12:38 PM
My cat never, but of course animals which use the smell to identify us are less likely to be confused. Even using perfume.

Thera Home
09-22-2012, 12:41 PM
Just wondering how many of us confuse our pets. I recently was given a 9y/o amazon parrot and also have the opportunity to live alone. Living alone means I have been able to truly explore my feminine side. Problem is my parrot freaks out when I leave the room a man and come back a female. Billie (the bird) won't calm down till I actually speak to her. I think it's kinda funny and was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same.

~Angela

Maybe,he's freaking out since he never sees you and your sister in the same room at the same time :heehee:

Thera

Beverley Sims
09-22-2012, 12:53 PM
Yes it is all to do with sight and smell.
Birds want a voice and cats and dogs go for smell.
Walk into a cage of tame birds as your alter ego and then speak to them.
It does take time to settle them down.

AngelaMichelle
09-22-2012, 01:01 PM
It kinda cracks me up a little. I do take it as a compliment that she doesn't recognize me tho.

~Angela

docrobbysherry
09-22-2012, 01:28 PM
Maybe it's a thing with parrots, Angela? I had a female roommate years ago that had a yellow head Amazon. She got him from a man who abused him so he hated men, she explained! He sure seemed to hate me. Whenever I passed his cage he went nuts! However, I spent a lot of time at home with him in his cage and her at work. Eventually, he not only accepted me, but we became pals! I suspect the same may happen with Angela and your pet over time.

IngeInCO
09-22-2012, 01:32 PM
Our cats look at me as if to say "it must be Inge Time again" then back to sleep

Diane Smith
09-22-2012, 01:39 PM
He's either very smart or just dense, but my dog doesn't ever seem to notice how I'm dressed or how my voice sounds, and he treats me the same no matter what.

(Dog's nails and stockings DO NOT mix well in any case.)

- Diane

Annie D
09-22-2012, 03:18 PM
Yes, the first time I exited the bedroom into the living room dressed as Annie my "Old Yeller" look alike started growling and protecting his territory. Once I spoke to him he calmed down but it assured me that if he didn't recognize me then it would be safe enough to venture out into the public. Now when out, no one growls but I have heard a couple of giggles and three gasps! I think that many of us who have pets have experienced being a stranger in your own home and being unrecognized. My hope is that he won't recognize me in drab....

~Joanne~
09-22-2012, 03:27 PM
My cat just lays there and watches me dress, my dog on the other hand never watched so the first time he saw me, though he didn't bark or growl, he did turn his head a bit sideways as to ask "wtf" lol

monicagurl23
09-22-2012, 03:59 PM
My cat flipped out when she saw me for the first time and ran and hid. Maybe she was trying to tell me that the eyeshadow just wasn't my color...

BLUE ORCHID
09-22-2012, 05:26 PM
Hi Angela, my dog watches me get dressed , it's unconditional love.

evadan
09-22-2012, 08:24 PM
We have a young black lab that we leash to our kitchen table because he tends to get into trouble when not watched. The last time I dressed, and I mean completely dressed - blouse, skirt, heels, long wig and make-up - I went into the kitchen where he was leashed up and he freaked! Scared me to death. He started barking and backing away, pulling the table with him. I had to pull of my wig and start talking to him to cool him down. Finally he recognized me and came over and nuzzled me. Next time I will have to have him in the room with me when I dress, I suppose.

Eva

Marleena
09-22-2012, 09:30 PM
Yes it is all to do with sight and smell.
Birds want a voice and cats and dogs go for smell.

I must smell, my dog does not get fooled.:D

linda allen
09-25-2012, 07:09 AM
A relative had a bird that hated men. It didn't matter who, the bird would attack a man if it got the chance. It was fine with females. It might have been interesting to dress as a female and approach the bird but I didn't get the chance.

Annette Todd
09-27-2012, 01:27 AM
Parrots are very intelligent and perceptive. I have had Amazons and African Grays. Amazons tend to be rather aggressive and may display some odd behaviors to get attention. They are like children in that way. My African Grey (I say my because she bonded to me) perched on my shoulder when I was home and would nibble my ear. She fell off her perch and I lost her at 5 yo. Damn I miss my Francis! They are also very social birds. A 9 yo bird is pretty set in their ways like people. There may be something in the way the bird was treated in the past. Parrots that have been well loved and socialized become attached to their favorite person. Those that have been left alone can, like people develop psychological quirks that may lessen over time but will always remain. Do you know anything about the bird's past? That may help you understand the behavior.
Maybe you just need some time with the Amazon for the relationship to develop. Remember that captive parrots can very long-lived.

I would dearly love to have a Cockatoo they are such loving birds!

Cheers

AngelaMichelle
09-27-2012, 04:04 AM
Annette, maybe I shouldn't have used the term "freaks out". She will yell at me when I leave the room and tell me to c'mere until I return. And she dances and gets real animated when I come back. She has been passed around quite a bit and I am her 5th owner. All of her previous owners have been women and the reason I got her was she was becoming too agressive. I personally know 4 of the previous owners and everyone of them are animal lovers. She is very vocal when any female is near because of that. She has definately bonded with me though. "freaks out" was way to harsh of a term. Her attitude changes I should say when I leave the room a man and come back as a woman. Oh btw...I miss Cheyenne Wyo. Thanks for your input and sorry about Francis.

~Angela

Chrissy8888
09-30-2012, 07:11 PM
My cats must be dumb. The are just like come on man give us love and food. But although cute and fun one of them has the IQ of a bean.

Jess Marie
09-30-2012, 09:49 PM
I have two fully grown rottweilers who, at first, would go nuts and I was scared to come out of the bathroom. Now, they are used to it and they are not a bother at all. They love the taste of make up I think, because they always lick my face.

franny lin
10-01-2012, 11:26 AM
My dog is so loving it doesn't matter to her at all

heatherdress
10-01-2012, 11:34 AM
Arf, arf...I have to pee...arf, arf, Where is he? Oh, there she is...arf, arf, I want to eat. Where is she? Oh, Here he comes...arf, arf, I have to pee...Where is he. Oh, here she comes...

I don't think my dog gets too confused.

cyndigurl45
10-01-2012, 11:39 AM
My dog hid the very first time now it's old hat ;-)