PDA

View Full Version : Lost Cell Phone but Incredible Trust

Meghan
09-24-2012, 11:24 PM
After a very long and emotional weekend (my wife lost her father two days ago), we had lunch with a lot of family out today.

I had to use the bathroom and left my cell phone behind, with pictures of my family and of course separate pictures of Meghan from a few "fashion shows" we have had lately.

Within the few minutes after when I realized I had, in my tired haze, sat it down, someone stole it. It, and all of those pictures and all of my business contacts sitting on it are there for the taking for whoever took it.

I had the number and the device shut down within minutes, but it's out there. And, because I had to restore it a few days ago, I had not put a password back on the phone. We all know what that means.

The goal of this message is not a request for sympathy for my family (please don't reply with such messages, I appreciate the sentiments but I have a different message to send).

The message is this: In a tired and exhausted moment I made a mistake. And a series of mistakes lead to a situation where I could possibly have the worst possible picture emailed to my critical business contacts.

When I told my wife she looked me straight in the eyes and said "If this ever becomes a problem you know we will deal with it together, don't worry it will be OK".

Chances are whoever found the phone will wipe it and never look at the pictures...but maybe not. Those thoughts were running free in my head.

I should feel vulnerable and exposed and scared. But instead my wife, at one of the most vulnerable and exposed moments of her life, told me not to worry because she had my back.

She had the clarity to help me at a moment when this should otherwise be a small, insignificant thing compared to her situation. She never ever considered reminding me of that, and she rightly could have. How amazing is that?

The world is testing both of us in extreme ways lately. I am so proud to be her partner, her lover, her submissive and her friend.

Again, while I appreciate the sentiments, I respectfully ask that comments and responses be not be focused on sadness and our loss of a parent.

Instead, please comment on the fact that everyone can be tested at the worst possible times. It's how we respond to those tests that I am interested in discussing.

Meghan

Kat42
09-25-2012, 03:55 AM
One tech source I follow is leo laporte, the tech guy (twit.tv). He pointed out that any device that leaves the house *needs* a password.

Wow... I hadn't thought about it but once I did, I could not find a counter argument. So that is the guiding principal I follow.

(sorry for the Mon AM QB and your loss. Hope we can all learn from the situation)

(disclaimer- I am not affiliated with Leo nor the twit network except as a satisfied consumer. No compensation received nor expected.)

linda allen
09-25-2012, 07:03 AM
I would hope that whoever found the phone would turn it in to the restaurant management so why not call or visit and see if they did. For most of us, a found cell phone with no service is pretty useless.

Erina
09-25-2012, 09:53 AM
I ones had a phone with some Photoshop altered photos that got stolen. That was like 4 years ago but I regretted it a long time since it happened in my neighbourhood and I feared I might meet the person on the bus. My present phone has got pictures on it as well, so does its video gallery along with voice videos, crossdressers.com always pop up on internet suggestions. I don't even lend my phone to anyone.
If this phone got stolen I would definitely get found out, but its not a nation secret. What do I care if some brat is flipping thru the content and laughing. Thought about installing an app that erases everything on the phone if you enter the wrong password. Think I'm gonna remain stupid and not do that
Just relax, what does a thief care?

~Joanne~
09-25-2012, 10:59 AM
Your wife is so great. It's times and moments like those when it really counts to know that you have someones support. Being CD makes it a bit more important especially when your not fully out to the world. Always make she she knows how special she is to you because a lot of us would kill to be in your place with a supportive SO.

One would hope that someone would turn in the phone but we also know that this is not the case a lot of times in the world we live in. I suggest that taking the pictures off the phone in the future would be a wiser plan than leaving them on there. I am sure people lose their phones all the time and this is the end result.

Call the restaurant to make sure someone didn't turn it in if you haven't done so already. I agree that if the person who picked it up is in the business of stealing phones (or electronics) to resell, they probably would just wipe it but there is the chance that they may check it for credit card information, or other important information, first. Then this open a bigger can of worms.

Stephanie47
09-25-2012, 11:24 AM
Once I found a cell phone. The only thing I could tell was the carrier. I could not make any calls on it because it was password protected. All I had to do to get it back to the owner was to take it to a Verizon both at the mall. For them it was easy to call the main office and reconnect the phone with the owner. With the enhancements made with all these telephone, I wonder if the ease of playing with the darn thing is outweighed by the inconvenience of losing the phone.

PS: Being an old guy all I have is a land line. Nice to have nobody bothering me outside my home. Sometimes I hear "What if someone died and people were trying to get in touch with you?" Well, they still would be dead.

Hope you get your telephone back.

Angela Campbell
09-25-2012, 12:33 PM
Your wife sounds wonderful. One day I hope to find someone who can be a true partner for all I do and watch my back for me and live as though we were a team. I have been married twice and never quite found that.

ChelseyD
09-25-2012, 02:13 PM
I have an app called "where's my droid" that I downloaded and set up that allows me to remotely turn on the GPS to get coordinates of where the phone is located. It also allows me to wipe the phone clean if need be.

Brianna612
09-25-2012, 05:32 PM
I have a terrific SO also. One time I had a remodel job that was stalled because the plumber didn’t show up on time. This carried the job into a kitchen job that I had planed to start. I was going nuts working day and night to finish two jobs at the same time. Besides taking care of her own business, my SO stepped in and helped me out in the shop. That allowed me to get my kitchen job finished on time.

We support each other 100 % both physically and mentally. It is so nice to have someone you can count on. She is my sweetheart and I Love her so.

JenniferR771
09-25-2012, 10:10 PM
Oh yes. I found a phone that had been upside down in the mud for weeks. Didn't work at all. However when I removed the Micro SD memory card...and put it into my card reader...there were about a hundred personal pictures including pics of some dude smoking pot with his friends.

Thinking now. Maybe I should have a password. I only have a bout 65 femme pics, but ship happens.

Emily359
09-25-2012, 10:17 PM
I've always hoped that one day, when I find a great woman to settle down with, I will no longer worry about what anyone else thinks of me. Having a wife who is willing to be there for you through everything sounds great. I'm happy you have someone like that.

ReineD
09-25-2012, 10:33 PM
When I told my wife she looked me straight in the eyes and said "If this ever becomes a problem you know we will deal with it together, don't worry it will be OK".

I should feel vulnerable and exposed and scared. But instead my wife, at one of the most vulnerable and exposed moments of her life, told me not to worry because she had my back.

That's awesome. It's so nice when partners can be there for each other. You truly are in a committed and caring relationship.

February
09-26-2012, 12:55 AM
I have an app called "where's my droid" that I downloaded and set up that allows me to remotely turn on the GPS to get coordinates of where the phone is located. It also allows me to wipe the phone clean if need be.

iPhones and iPads do the same thing. Luckily I've only needed to use the locator service when I've misplaced the phone around the house.

linda allen
09-26-2012, 06:04 AM
iPhones and iPads do the same thing. Luckily I've only needed to use the locator service when I've misplaced the phone around the house.

When I misplace my phone around the house, I just call it from another phone.

I'm still thinking most people would turn the phone in, not try to keep it or sell it. Service has been turned off so it's just dead weight. If someone did actually steal it with the intention of using it or selling it and found that service had been turned off, they probably just threw it in the trash.

If service had not been turned off, the OP could have called it to see if somebody answered.

Beverley Sims
09-26-2012, 09:30 AM
As long as the photos don't reveal your two personas readily, others might not realise the link.
I hope for success in finding the phone.