PDA

View Full Version : Cut my hair or quit my second job.....

Amy R Lynn
09-25-2012, 12:50 AM
So... I have been notified that I need to cut my hair a bit. I work for a security team at one of the local stadiums. The company that operates the security staff has a policy that states Men can not have pony tails or long hair. Hair has to be kept up off of the collar. Women are allowed to have long hair as long as it is kept in a pony tail and is neat.

I really don't see what hair length has to do with how a job is performed. I also would think that this could be a bit discriminatory against Men with long hair. I can understand if it was ratty looking and messy. But why can't they have the same rule for Men as they do for Women. Equal rights? Right?

Well I did some research on the Internet and found that the supreme court sides wih the employers on this, and stated that the employer has a right to make these types of demands to protect their image. And it is not discriminatory. All I can think is that it must be the same sureme court members that think gay marriage should not be allowed. Very conservative.

So, I have a choice. Cut my hair back a bit, or quit my job. On most game days, I like the job (it can get rough when the crowd is rowdy). But it is a pretty neat job to have. I always come away with the "You won't believe what happend" stories. Plus I get to be at every home game for a team that I have always loved and rooted for. So, the job really doesn't help me much financially. Its more about just the experience of it. I'm not sure if I should just let it go till they make a big stink about it, or cut it now. I've only heard comments from my fellow team mates. No one from the mgmt side has said anything. Its taken me a long time to get the length that I have.....

Wildaboutheels
09-25-2012, 01:25 AM
If you knew their policy when you signed up I think you are SOL. Certainly you can tuck your hair under your hat? They DO give you hats, right? Find and/or talk to the person who can give you an official yes or no as to tucking. Better still, get it in writing in an email just to CYA.

AllisontheGoddess
09-25-2012, 01:29 AM
I've only heard comments from my fellow team mates. No one from the mgmt side has said anything. Its taken me a long time to get the length that I have.....

I wouldn't cut until someone from MGMT says anything. I mean, think about how long it took for you to get your beautiful hair. Personally, I also feel like hair length shouldn't be that big of a deal in that setting, but still I say DON'T CUT TIL THEY MAKE YA! STICK TO YOUR GUNS lol :Punch:

mikiSJ
09-25-2012, 02:03 AM
I understand your consternation, but...I am with wildaboutheels, you knew the rules going in!

The reason for the short hair on males is probably a security issue inasmuch as a rowdy could grab the pony tail and overpower you; exactly in the same fashion that a rowdy could do to female security officer..,

Go figger!

Miki

Cynthia Anne
09-25-2012, 03:55 AM
Kind of a tough situlation! But I wouldn't cut it unless I wanted too!

Jenny Gurl
09-25-2012, 03:56 AM
Can you wear it in a Bun? It would be off the collar. :doh: Sounds a bit discriminatory but I don't know if you could win that fight. If you were "out" as TG it might be a whole different matter but they might have a different uniform for the ladies.

MindyJ
09-25-2012, 04:45 AM
Sounds like you will have to tell your employer that you will just have to show up for work en-femm. Problem solved.

Erina
09-25-2012, 05:12 AM
If you're thinking of quitting then I think you should start looking for another job soon as possible, you need to know alternatives. Don't cut it until you know for sure

STACY B
09-25-2012, 05:20 AM
Go to a Wig shop an Costume shop an get one of those Balding caps ,,,, Make it look like your Bald ,,Its only once in a while they will think your Crazy for shaving your head . But if that don't work just do what the others said Ride it till that drop the Hammer on ya . Tell them you can;t cut becuz of your Religion ! Or tell them your trans an say you people are Tgirl Bashing or what ? I would wait an see an maybe get the local news people ready for an interview ,,Do they have girls that work there ? If so do they have short hair ? All kinds of things you can do think my Dear ,,, We can get outta this mess ,,,LOL,,,

Anneliese
09-25-2012, 05:29 AM
In 1971 a redneck boss wanted to fire me for my long hair. In addition to getting the union (remember those?) involved, I also bought a short-hair wig. Eventually I was promoted to night-crew where they didn't care (although I had the dreaded graveyard shift)

It sounds discriminatory to me. At rock concerts half the security guys have long hair themselves. I'm a sports fan, but sports in general draw a more redneck crowd obviously. In this day and age I can't imagine it matter to 95% of the population, but the remaining 5% can be pains in the tush.

heatherdress
09-25-2012, 06:21 AM
Get a cheap short hair mens wig - see eBay!

Diversity
09-25-2012, 06:27 AM
You are in the driver's seat. You need to make the decision, it appears, as to whether or not you want to work here. As you said, "the job really doesn't help me much financially". Are you sure it is worth it? Good luck in your decision-making. But don't let them hold you to the fire. Take control and make a decision which is the best one for you. I wish you good luck!
Di

Diversity
09-25-2012, 06:28 AM
Actually, that is thinking outside the square! Great suggestion, Heatherdress!
Di

BLUE ORCHID
09-25-2012, 06:52 AM
Hi Amy , Is the job worth cutting your hair??

max
09-25-2012, 07:09 AM
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Short-Hair-Side-Part-Mens-CHARACTER-Wig-BLACK-/00/s/MTA1MVgxMDAw/$T2eC16hHJGoE9nuQhoHlBQKrPKHrvQ~~60_57.JPG
get a bitchin' wig

Sara Jessica
09-25-2012, 07:14 AM
Just show up in a dress and problem is solved!!! ;)

Back in college, I used to work with a guy who was in a band and his hair was fairly long. He would use pins to create a little mini-bun at the nape of his neck which didn't look girly in the least bit. Doing this would depend on your hair though. I've tried this myself and although my hair is only a little bit longer than his was, it must be a lot thicker because my bun-action was much more pronounced.

Sarasometimes
09-25-2012, 07:46 AM
It sounds like you have some time to ponder this. Is there any histry of them enforcing this rule? If you violate it as there a warning step or just dismissal. If they need to let you know first, then just wait and see. I think if you downplay it as best you can, tuck it in your collar you may just get by. Sort of funny to have a rule like this when so many NFL players have extremely long hair hanging below thier helmets. I always wonder why opponents don't just grab a handfull for a hair tackle??
I do agree that if the rule has always been there you need to comply if asked. The looking for another job is wise advice. Maybe you could help out the temp refereees? Hey only requirement they have is not LEGALLY blind, hair nay length!!
P.S. Do you ever underdress to work with some team inspired panties??

Leslie Langford
09-25-2012, 08:18 AM
... I really don't see what hair length has to do with how a job is performed. I also would think that this could be a bit discriminatory against Men with long hair. I can understand if it was ratty looking and messy. But why can't they have the same rule for Men as they do for Women. Equal rights? Right?...

Maybe you need to push back and demand to know why they don't also insist that their female guards wear uniforms that include skirts and hose. You know - equality and professional image and all that, and in the same way that many female flight attendants, officers of the court, and hotel front desk staff etc. are expected to dress these days.

TxKimberly
09-25-2012, 08:45 AM
My guess is that this company probably uses a lot of ex-military and police officers. This is the norm in their world, and seeing a dude with long hair probably grates on their sense of "This is not appropriate for the workplace" senses. I tend to agree that I think I might push my luck and wait until the person I report to told me to cut it, but in the end your not going to have any choice if they decide to enforce that dress code.

~Joanne~
09-25-2012, 10:16 AM
You said financially the job didn't matter, other than the side perks which you do enjoy. I would probably lose the job before cutting the hair. But that's me personally. The law has never been fair ever. I could go on all day about it but it wouldn't change a thing. If you tried to make it a discrimination issue/case you'd probably lose because discrimination is so hard to prove, just as harassment is. Now if you came out to be TG, that may change things but is it worth it?

I don't know about the wig idea, it may make things worse. Then again, if you decide to lose the job, you may want to try it before you quit. Prepare for a lot of crap though.

Tracii G
09-25-2012, 10:26 AM
Tuck it up under the hat.

KatieTaylor
09-25-2012, 10:50 AM
If it's taken a long time for you to grow it and you like it, then i say keep it. Wait until you get told by management to cut it. But then you will have to either cut it or quit. But don't worry about a problem that doesn't exist (yet).
Katie Taylor x

kimdl93
09-25-2012, 10:54 AM
Ask yourself what is important to you at this time. The hair or the extra income.

Xrys
09-25-2012, 11:24 AM
I have left 2 jobs, and turned down three others because they wanted me to cut my hair. My hair is more important to me, but I am not you. This simply comes down to your own priorities. Is having longer hair a higher priority than getting the extra perks for the job? Perhaps you can work in a different part of the stadium than in security. This would net you the same perks, and you can keep your hair. I hope it does not come down to choosing one over the other, but if it does, you might need to take some time before hand and really figure out your priorities. I can't tell you what to do, only provide you with some options. I wish you the best of luck in this.

Best wishes,

Xrys

BillieJoEllen
09-25-2012, 11:45 AM
Kind of funny in a way. You're working at a stadium where games are played. Look down on the field and I bet you see all kinds of players with long hair. The fans idolize these players. The players are the center of attention and are expected to perform at 100% levels. Its funny that management can't expect the same from you. In this instance when it comes to projecting an 'image' who cares?

DonnaT
09-25-2012, 11:56 AM
So... I have been notified that I need to cut my hair a bit.

I'm not sure if I should just let it go till they make a big stink about it, or cut it now. I've only heard comments from my fellow team mates. No one from the mgmt side has said anything.
Since the comments have only come from fellow team mates, just ignore them.

If management should say something, then ask if tucking would be ok. If not, get a man's wig, it'll keep the head warmer as the nights get colder.

Joanna41
09-25-2012, 11:59 AM
I would try some stout firm gel to flatten it down and keep it in place....may appear as its shorter if its all slicked back.

Joanna

Stephanie47
09-25-2012, 12:34 PM
Amy, as long as management has not told you to cut your hair, don't do it. Your co workers are not your bosses. Maybe they do not like long hair on a guy at any time, anywhere. I cannot imagine at a sports stadium/venue the patrons care about your hair. If your co workers express disapproval of the long hair based on the stated standards of attire and appearance, then maybe they have a case. If their disapproval is based on discrimination based on perceived sexual orientation, whether correct or not, then maybe a case can be made for a hostile work environment. In Washington State discrimination against gays, lesbians and cross dressing or those perceived as such is against the law.

And, if management does not act on your hair, then longer management takes to act, the weaker the case is for the validity of the rule. I'd continue to show up with long hair that is clean and well kept. Don't show up as a 'shaggy dog.'

Brianna612
09-25-2012, 04:56 PM
If you tried to make it a discrimination issue/case you'd probably lose

You are exactly right Miss Joanne because this is not a case of discrimination. Long hair, clothing, piercings, smoking just to name a few, these are all choices. A company has a right to have their employees present themselves in a certain way. If you decide not to abide with their requests then they will take appropriate actions. If they bring it up then talk to them and see if you can come up with a suitable compromise.

Sounds like a really fun job. I always thought about doing something like that. Good Luck.

heatherdress
09-25-2012, 05:32 PM
Seems many security guard companies try to use same grooming standards as local police departments.

Example from a web site: "Our uniformed security guards are outfitted with police-type uniforms. Our corporate general orders, require that our personnel keep their uniforms pressed and clean at all times. Their shoes are polished; military-style and men are clean-shaven with neat haircuts. Our female officers are held to the same standard. We pride ourselves on the appearance of our personnel, as they are representing our agency on your property"

They want their guards to look like cops for obvious reasons. It will be difficult and legally expensive to fight grooming restrictions. Better to just get another job, if you need to. I have read that many National Guard and Reserve soldiers in the 1960s used to wear short wigs to cover their long hair. Today, military regulations prevent that, but maybe you can get away with hiding it and still meet appearance requirements.

Sorry - I wish you could grow you hair as long as you want to.

Jamie001
09-25-2012, 05:36 PM
You are exactly right Miss Joanne because this is not a case of discrimination. Long hair, clothing, piercings, smoking just to name a few, these are all choices. A company has a right to have their employees present themselves in a certain way. If you decide not to abide with their requests then they will take appropriate actions. If they bring it up then talk to them and see if you can come up with a suitable compromise.

Sounds like a really fun job. I always thought about doing something like that. Good Luck.

I disagree. It is a case of discrimination because if a Woman doing the same job is not required to cut her hair, then a man should not be required to cut his hair simply because he is a man.

Nicole Erin
09-25-2012, 05:39 PM
If it is like most security jobs, it pays less than $10 an hour. Is that worth altering anything about your looks aside the clothing you must wear?

Amy R Lynn
09-25-2012, 08:01 PM
If I quit, there is no need for a second job. I really do this for the experience. The little bit of money that I get from it really is just a drop in the bucket.

It seems that the Courts don't agree that this is a discrimination case. I wonder if it is the same courts that think gay marriage should not be legal?
http://www.lkorn-law.com/relevent-articles4.html

This was a ruling from 1994. I wonder how it would hold up in court today. It does seem that things are bcoming a little more accepting. There are more laws protecting LGBT rights. It would be interesting to find out, but I don't have the money or the time to press the issue to that point.

I think I'm going to wait until someone from management says something to me. Then I will cut my hair just above the collar. while it has taken me a while to get my hair this long, I still can't pull it all back into a pony tail. I think if I just get the back cut up a some, and leave the rest alone, I can still achieve my hair length goal. Eventually though, I will have to hang up my hat on this gig as my ultimate goal is to have hair below my shoulders. I don't think there is anyway around it. I say too bad for them. I do enjoy the job.

I appreciate all of your opinions and ideas! The short hair wig and bald cap made me laugh a bit. It is a good idea though! However, I'm pretty sure it woudn't work.