PDA

View Full Version : Found a job I can dress at!!!

missyatl
09-27-2012, 04:39 PM
I just started a new job at Autotrader and I'm able to dress at work. During my interview it was mentioned there was a TG/FTM on the team, so I mentioned a little about myself and they had no problem with it. My first 3 days I wore button up shirts with cami's, dress pants and heels as well as a necklace and bracelet.

Today I jumped in with both feet and wore the following: Black knee length skirt, black 2" heels, nude pantyhose, red button up blouse and black suede jacket. I'm shocked at how accepting everyone is. I'm not treated any differently, no stares or comments and even a few compliments. I've had men and women approach me for conversation when they didn't have to.

I'm a little on the pesimistic side so I'll see how it goes but I must admit I'm so happy being myself here. I really enjoy the feminine business casual look. I'm sure people are talking about me but I understand, it's unusual and people are gonna talk. I'm having an easier time with people then I do in stores or restaurants, probably because this is work and people aren't going to laugh when you walk by or else they'd end up in HR.

I assure you this is for real, I know it's probably hard to believe. I thought about asking someone to take my picture but I thought that would be inappropriate. Maybe after I get to know someone I may ask.

After the interview I realized that Autotrader is owned by Cox Communications. I found the following press release regarding Cox's effort in equality. So that kind of backed up the idea that they truly are cool with this. Here's the press release and link.

http://cox.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=446

Press Releases

Cox Communications Earns Top Marks in 2010 Corporate Equality Index

Cox Graded 100 Percent in Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s Eighth Annual Index

ATLANTA – Cox Communications today announced for the second consecutive year that it has earned the top rating of 100 percent in the 2010 Corporate Equality Index (CEI), an annual survey administered by the Human Rights Campaign Foundation. Cox joins the ranks of 305 other major U.S. businesses which get top marks for their treatment of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) employees and consumers.
The CEI rated 590 businesses in total, evaluating LGBT-related policies and practices including non-discrimination policies, transgender health benefits and domestic partner benefits. Cox’s efforts in ensuring LGBT equality in each of the survey’s main criterion earned it the prestigious 100 percent ranking.

For more information on the 2010 Corporate Equality Index, or to download a free copy of the report, visit www.hrc.org/cei .

JenniferLynn0370
09-27-2012, 04:44 PM
Congratulations Missy; that's great news!!

Hugs,
Jen

JeanneF
09-27-2012, 04:44 PM
Wow. That's pretty awesome.

I know a few people who work for Autotrader on the sales side...they all say it's a great company to work for. I own a car dealership, so I can assure you that this policy of theirs will only help them earn my business.

Rockett
09-27-2012, 04:52 PM
Awesome :)
Nice for you

franlee
09-27-2012, 06:07 PM
Congradulations! Now make the most of it and keep us posted.

AnitaH
09-27-2012, 08:12 PM
Congratulations on the job. Great that you can dress as you like. So many of us have to hide anything out of the ordinary when at work. That would be a dream of mine I'll just have to live vicariously through you.

Again congratulations.

AnitaH

AllisontheGoddess
09-27-2012, 08:34 PM
WOW! I'm so happy for you, wish more places were like this one.

Tracii G
09-27-2012, 08:44 PM
Very cool I'm really happy for you.
I did a search and my company is listed too.100% er too, rated 16 woo hoo!
So if I go back to work after FMLA I will test the gender waters and dress how I choose.
I have 2 years before retirement so give the guys all something to talk about LOL.

KateSpade83
09-27-2012, 08:49 PM
wow... I wish I could go to work as a woman too!

missyatl
09-27-2012, 09:03 PM
I know these aren't great but I took these at work today. I always imagined wearing this outfit to work. It's awesome being feminine in a corporate environment.

Jess Marie
09-27-2012, 09:44 PM
Paint me green with envy!!! This is great. I am very happy for you

bridget thronton
09-28-2012, 01:13 AM
Congratsvon finding a job that fits

Amanda_P
09-28-2012, 02:27 AM
Ok where do I sign up for a job like this.

BLUE ORCHID
09-28-2012, 07:04 AM
Hi Missy, That's wonderful I'm so happy for you.

TxKimberly
09-28-2012, 07:37 AM
That's awesome! Congrats to you!

EllenJo
09-28-2012, 07:44 AM
Congratulations, being able to dress at work is a total blessing. I have a new appreciation for companies liky yours. BTW your outfits looks great!

You Go Girl!

Krististeph
09-28-2012, 07:53 AM
Awesome! I'll definitely try to include autotrader in my next car or bike search or sale.

Too bad you don't do Cessnas. :-(

Too bad i could not afford a Cessna.... :-)

Again, congrats. I have a dozen skirt and pant suits- wish i could wear them to work. Then again, I always look at them as 'fun time' or at least usually, (sometimes i'll get dressed to work at home- so it's not all 'fun time' but it does make the work a bit more pleasant.

Keep us apprised of how this works out please!

-Kristi

Beverley Sims
09-28-2012, 08:10 AM
All I would say is go with the flow but don't push it.
You seem to be on to a good gig here.
Have you met the other girl yet?

wanagione
09-28-2012, 08:25 AM
That is so wonderful!

missyatl
09-28-2012, 09:40 AM
Yes and he is really nice. We spoke about equality and what to expect here and it's pretty much the same as anywhere else. Some will like it, most will go about business and a few may take a double take. I'm wearing a dark brown dress with a light jacket. I have no idea what these jackets are called, it's think like a t-shirt, open in the front and the front sides hang low. I'm rambling, anyway that thing is a charcoal grey. I've also got a bracelet and necklace, oh and maroon lipstick.

linda allen
09-28-2012, 10:26 AM
So in this job are you dealing with the public in person or are you in a back room somewhere on a computer?

MsRenee
09-28-2012, 10:32 AM
Very nice to hear that they allow you to dress at your new job.It shouldnt matter how we look as long as were presentable and able to do the job as it needs to be. Id live to find a job were I was able to dress everyday. Only problem then would be Id need a bigger cliset for more business suits. Hehe.
Renee

NV Susan
09-28-2012, 10:37 AM
I go to work dressed in my job also..........only it's not the way I would like to dress. LOL, hope the new job goes well....just think of all the shopping for new work cloths......you lucky girl!!

missyatl
09-28-2012, 10:43 AM
I'm not public facing, I work in the corporate office in Atlanta. So I come in contact with lots of people but not the general public. Yeah I need to hit up the thrift store and find some more business outfits. Enough so that I can mix and match enough to not wear the same outfit twice in a couple weeks.

WillowWriter
09-28-2012, 10:59 AM
That's really Awesome! I'm really happy that you have such an awesome job where you can freely dress at. Hope all keeps going well there :)

GinaM
09-28-2012, 11:50 AM
Make sure to say hi to Chip while you're there. What is your position at ATC? Are you a dealer concierge?

missyatl
09-28-2012, 12:06 PM
I work in IT. Haven't met anyone named Chip yet.

GinaM
09-28-2012, 01:01 PM
I work in IT. Haven't met anyone named Chip yet.

Chip Perry- He is the CEO. Kind of an important guy.

StephanieC
09-28-2012, 06:16 PM
Congrats. I'm happy to see you have found something that matches your life.

Good luck!