PDA

View Full Version : Had a thought on something

Amanda Katharine
09-28-2012, 06:14 PM
I've read a few articles recently about how the American workforce is becoming dominated more and more by women since jobs that were mostly dominated by men, such as manufacturing, are being done away with. The article in particular I read said specifically that the only thing stopping men from moving into other fields that traditionally have been dominated by women is their own stubbornness and supposed assigned gender roles that have been reinforced for years. In other words, men feel like "less than men" if they work in a field dominated by women and even worse if their wives are the actual breadwinners of the household.

My thought on this is are we as crossdressers perhaps at an advantage because it seems that on a psychological level we tend to be less restricted by gender roles than most of the male population. At least this has been my experience.

I went to college with a guy who told me many times that if his wife even made as much as he did, let alone more, she would be given the choice of quitting her job or divorce. I don't understand this line of thinking. As I'm unemployed and back in school, my wife is the breadwinner of the household and depending on what job I get, if I get one, she may still be the breadwinner in the future. Who cares? I don't understand this ridiculousness of trying to live like it's the 1950's.

For the record, this imbecile I mentioned is currently in the US Air Force because he felt he wasn't making enough money at his previous job. His previous job paid him a little over 50 grand a year.

Megan_Renee
09-28-2012, 06:28 PM
My wife is the primary bread winner right now. It won't stay that way; my anticipated career path will earn more than she earns now. Having said that, my anticipated career path is about 50/50 men/women.

I'm ok staying home with the kids, but I look forward to when the kids will be out of the house at school and I can actually keep up with the cleaning and working my side jobs...

Amalthea
09-28-2012, 06:45 PM
When I was married, my wife was the breadwinner as I was just out of school. And this fact held true for all the 10 years we were together. I'm talking here about the 1980's. I never had a second thought of this. And actually, knowing what she does today, I do believe she's still ahead of me financially. But, who cares? I am so very happy for her she reached her professionnal goals.

Roberta Marie
09-28-2012, 06:47 PM
I was layed off for a bit under a year back in the recession of the 1980's. My wife took her career full time and I stayed home with the kids. And I loved it, despite the fact that I was closeted even to myself and had no idea what it meant to be trans. But as I look back on my life this is only one of several times that I can see that being trans had a positive effect on my life, even though I did not realize it at the time.

I've never had any issues being a "kept man". Throughout most of our married life, which is just over 37 years, my wife and I have made about the same amount, and that's the way that we've approached our relationship. Each of us brings an equal share.

Cynthia Anne
09-28-2012, 09:34 PM
Fourty years ago I felt that women should stay home and let the men work! Because that's the way I was brought up! But today things are really differant! I would have no problem living with a lady who made more money then me!

Beverley Sims
09-29-2012, 05:12 AM
Fifty years ago women were supposed to be kept barefoot and pregnant and in the kitchen. :) :)
I think times have changed.
If she wants to earn more and support you, stay home and wash the dishes.
Wear an appropriate dress though. :)

Mollyanne
09-29-2012, 05:25 AM
Men who think the way you describe are basically insecure, have been indoctrinated into thinking that they are superior and have the "right" to rule!!!!! W R O N G W R O N G W R O N G !!!!!! If these "critters" think that way then maybe they should go live on an island all by themselves, with themselves!!!!!!

Molly

Cheryl T
09-29-2012, 06:19 AM
Since we share everything all the earnings are in the same pot. We don't have separate his and hers accounts, we don't have his and hers cars...we have OURS.
The only thing that is individual is our IRA's as they are payroll deductions. Everything else is joint...WE earn, WE spend, WE save, WE SHARE!
WE just don't understand why it isn't that way with every couple.
We married to be one with each other, why shouldn't everything belong to US.

Danielle_cder
09-29-2012, 11:45 AM
My wife is the bread winner 2x over and I'm so proud of her!

franlee
09-29-2012, 01:10 PM
I am to old and to tired to let something as silly as my wife's income treaten my masclinity. I wish she made many times more than I do. There is only one common goal for us and it is just that "US!" Pride is and expensive animal and stays hugary.

Thera Home
09-29-2012, 01:35 PM
Heck, the wife and I stay home and let the kids go to work. Gotta teach em responsibility you know. We just kick back and reap the rewards(thier paychecks). Child Labor Laws? Whats that?:heehee:

Thera

Brianna612
09-29-2012, 01:48 PM
Heck, the wife and I stay home and let the kids go to work.

That's the reason we had kids.:heehee::heehee: As far as the SO making more money? The more the better, being a woman is expensive if your a man. I don't mind just more fun for us.:D:

UNDERDRESSER
09-29-2012, 08:30 PM
I do have an issue with her ( GF ) earning more than me. We have discussed this, it's not that i object for myself, but my upbringing makes me fear she'll think less of me. She doesn't think that way, She doesn't think less of me when she is better than me at something. At the moment, we are about eaqual, but she has the oputunity to rise higher in the company than i can, if she does, my only concern will be that she's happy doing it.

Sharon B.
09-29-2012, 08:52 PM
If I was married and she made more than me I would gladly stay home and be the housewife/househusband/maid for her if that is what she wanted.

outhiking
09-29-2012, 11:46 PM
I was always hoping to marry a woman who was too proud to have her husband go to work :-)

Seriously, I started my career working for a female boss and have had several since. It's never been a problem, but I was pretty open-minded to begin with. Not all guys were/are about such things.