PDA

View Full Version : How do you take photos in public?

CarleyR
09-28-2012, 11:58 PM
I've seen many posted photos of CDers dressed in public, and in most cases it is apparent from the post or the circumstances that no one else was with you. How do you manage to take the photos? Do you carry a camera and tiny extendable tripod in your purse and set it up when no one is looking? Just look for a shelf on which to place your iPhone? Ask others to take photos of you? Or is there some magic arm extension or invisible camera that I've never heard about?

Tara D. Rose
09-29-2012, 12:13 AM
I've often wondered this same thing. I can see me out at the park or at the mall and setting the timer and then step back and pose and smile while onlookers lift their eyebrows with wonder. I would be embarrassed. I mean it would be hard enough with a friend taking the pics, but when being by yourself, it would add a little more difficulty to it all.

Lorileah
09-29-2012, 12:40 AM
Or you could ask someone to take it for you. Many are self timers I am sure, many are taken by someone we are with. In mine we started with me, the photographer and two others. By the end of the shoot there were 20 people following me

AllieSF
09-29-2012, 12:40 AM
I think it may be a combination of things. Some use tiny tripods that fit in the purse. Some of those can be attached to almost anything to get the correct angle. Some ask innocent bystanders to take their pics. I am out so much and talking to everyone, that I would have no problem asking someone to take my pic. I am always asking them if I can take their pic with their camera so that both can be in their own pics. That works because of an overabundance of confidence.

Veronica James
09-29-2012, 12:46 AM
I like to take a video with my phone and do a bunch of poses on it! After I look through it and pick out my favorite shots!! Bon Chance!!!

Beverley Sims
09-29-2012, 05:07 AM
Apart from other people and self timers, I have a little flexible tripod that can be angled in just about any way possible.

Cheryl T
09-29-2012, 06:22 AM
Haven't you ever been anywhere touristy and had someone ask, "could you take our picture?" ??
If you're alone just brave it and have someone (trustworthy looking so you don't lose your camera) take it for you.
If you're out somewhere alone and no one is around just set it on a rock, a fence post, or something...be creative, most cameras have self-timers.

Sara Jessica
09-29-2012, 07:03 AM
Wouldn't it be a better assumption that if a picture was taken, then someone was actually with the person?

For me, no friend = no pictures.

Wildaboutheels
09-29-2012, 07:14 AM
I'll bet anyone here, YOU ARE TOO CHICKEN TO WALK UP TO A STRANGER EN FEMME, AND ASK THEM TO TAKE YOUR PICTURE.

Now you have an excellent excuse to give someone. Just tell them you have a bet with someone and you need their help. Most people are flattered when you ask for their help.

Sally24
09-29-2012, 07:23 AM
All of the above. Usually have a friend with me but I also have a little tripod I got at the dollar store. I've seen better ones that are all twisty and can wrap around things or be bent. And I'm not above asking a stranger to take my picture. That's always how we get our group pictures done anyway! My camcorder will also take nice pictures and it has a remote so that works pretty well with the screen turned to face me so I can see my pose. When I go out I've got to have pictures! If no pictures......it didn't happen.

Stephanie Miller
09-29-2012, 07:44 AM
A lot of mine just happen to show up on the "People of WalMart" website. So I just download them :heehee:

CarleyR
09-29-2012, 07:49 AM
Thanks for all the responses. It seems like bystanders take many of the photos. I just think I'd have a problem asking others with my deep voice.

linda allen
09-29-2012, 08:33 AM
I use a digital camera with a self timer. I'll set it on a flat surface (wall, railing, bench, car hood, whatever) and take a bunch of photos. When I get home I download them to my PC and use photo editing software to straighten and crop the photos. I can also remove background clutter such as the telephone pole that seems to be growing out of my head. I do the same thing for photos taken at home.

Miniature tripods are available and I have one but I've never taken it with me.

linda allen
09-29-2012, 08:36 AM
.. My camcorder will also take nice pictures and it has a remote so that works pretty well with the screen turned to face me so I can see my pose..

I haven't done it dressed, but I have photo editing software that will make stills from a video, frame by frame. This is like taking dozens of still photos and then just picking out the best expression, pose, etc.

Karren H
09-29-2012, 09:05 AM
I hired a film crew to follow me around! when ever the model I hired to wear my clothes is unavailable! :D

JenniferR771
09-29-2012, 09:07 AM
Picnic tables and park benches hold a camera nicely. Camera on the roof of your car is just the right height. And don't forget the most common photo of all--arms length self portrait. Hold camera at arms length and smile. And don't forget all those mirror -like shots in store windows.

I also have a dollar store mini-tripod, but with my camera--it tips over.

Michelle (Oz)
09-29-2012, 09:16 AM
I use the self timer camera on a wall thing but take photos of me dressed before or after venturing out. That ensures I have at least one good one.

When I get home I download them to my PC and use photo editing software to straighten and crop the photos. I can also remove background clutter such as the telephone pole that seems to be growing out of my head. I do the same thing for photos taken at home.

What software do you use Linda? I'm still stuck with MS Paint.

Michelle

linda allen
09-29-2012, 09:36 AM
I use the self timer camera on a wall thing but take photos of me dressed before or after venturing out. That ensures I have at least one good one.

What software do you use Linda? I'm still stuck with MS Paint.

Michelle

Corel PaintShop Pro version 4 is what I'm currently using. I got a good deal on it with a new computer purchase. Some of this stuff is way too complicated for casual use. Photoshop, for instance.

Micrografx Picture Publisher served me well for many years but I don't know if it's still around.

One of the neat things about PaintShop pro is the ability to automatically correct for tilting. Another, as mentioned above, is the ability to create stills from videos, frame by frame.

Cristi
09-29-2012, 09:47 AM
Self time + tripod for most of mine. When I don't have the mini-tripod, just finding a convenient flat shelf or fence rail usually helps. I've taken photos of myself shopping in stores just by balancing my iPhone on a nearby shelf.

My camera can be set to do a series of photos in sequence, so to make sure I get something I like I can have it take 5 quick shots. Usually I get SOMETHING usable out of that!

MsRenee
09-29-2012, 09:51 AM
Girl just grab your camera, make sure you can switch the view so you can make a pose and set the timer. Relax breathe and have fun taking them.
Renee

STACY B
09-29-2012, 09:56 AM
Whip it out an hit the timer an throw it on top of the car or truck if no ones with ya an take it ,,,,Try an not look to Dumb ,,,LOL,,,,As for me I just tell my wife to take it ,,,,OHHHHHHH NOT AGAIN !!! YOU ARE SOOOOOOOO STUPID ,,,,,, She says ,,, Come on ,,,Just take one more ,,,,, Last one ,,,,Now come on were missing the SALE ,,,,,

Helen_Highwater
09-29-2012, 10:39 AM
There are a number of devices on the market that allow remote operation of DSLR cameras. Not sure about compacts.
http://www.phottix.com/en/wireless-remotes/phottixr-cleon-ii.html
These give much better control than relying on a self timer; "I'm still grinning, has it taken yet?" sort of thing.
The suction mount below could be used to turn any smooth surface into a tripod, even the side screen of your car?
http://www.cameraclean.co.uk/product-detail.php?cat=23&product=249&desc=Fat+Gecko+Mini+Camera+Mount
Not what you would call discreet. The video camera below however....
http://www.7dayshop.com/photo-and-video/cameras-and-camcorders/7dayshop-mini-sport-digital-video-camcorder-2-megapixel-black-16gb-microsd-card-bundle-world-s-smallest-voice-video-camera?cl=4
That's a different story.

LeannL
09-29-2012, 10:44 AM
I have used about every way. Friends, strangers, timed shots with the camera sitting on something. I don't carry a tripod though. One example which I think I was read during was when I was in the Cincinnati airport and I wanted a picture. I asked the man at the information desk to take a picture of me next to a kiosk about the Derby.

Leann

Persephone
09-29-2012, 01:18 PM
I'll bet anyone here, YOU ARE TOO CHICKEN TO WALK UP TO A STRANGER EN FEMME, AND ASK THEM TO TAKE YOUR PICTURE.

I have no problem with talking to anyone. And I have asked strangers to take pictures of me, so you loose your bet. Frequently, seeing that you want a picture, strangers will offer to take a picture for you. Sometimes I do that. Other times I'm just afraid the stranger will make off with my camera!

Hugs,
Persephone.

JenniferR771
09-29-2012, 01:27 PM
And furthermore...you may need a cell phone mini-tripod. Cheap and versatile. Some cell phones, like my Motorola, have a self-timer. If not, a suction cup and a cord or wire tie can hold your cell phone stuck to a window, car window, mirror or any smooth surface. For safety--use a second suction cup and cord--in case the first one releases.
http://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Tripod-camera-Holder-Cellphone/dp/B0042J6VUS

Cindy M
09-29-2012, 02:33 PM
My Wife takes the pictures for me :)

Stacy B has the papparazzi following her... so she just saves them off the people.com website

docrobbysherry
09-29-2012, 03:54 PM
You're NOT going to like my answer! When I've been dressed my freakiest, (think mask and silicone suit), when I see someone laffing or their jaw drops, I KNOW they're the rite ones! I ask what they think of my "outfit" and if they'll take my pic!?

Here's the deal; USUALLY if folks find out you're polite, friendly, and not a raving loony , they'll try and help! I've even picked on a young teen boy in a group. One sweet older lady wanted to take more and more!

I used my $1 tiny tripod in my hotel room when I couldn't get the proper angle on the TV cab.

No one makes a remote shutter release for small Point and Shoot cameras that I'm aware of. If they do, I'm buyin' it!

StarrOfDelite
09-29-2012, 08:26 PM
You're NOT going to like my answer! When I've been dressed my freakiest, (think mask and silicone suit), when I see someone laffing or their jaw drops, I KNOW they're the rite ones! I ask what they think of my "outfit" and if they'll take my pic!?

Here's the deal; USUALLY if folks find out you're polite, friendly, and not a raving loony , they'll try and help! I've even picked on a young teen boy in a group. One sweet older lady wanted to take more and more!

I used my $1 tiny tripod in my hotel room when I couldn't get the proper angle on the TV cab.

No one makes a remote shutter release for small Point and Shoot cameras that I'm aware of. If they do, I'm buyin' it!

I don't think that they ever did make remotes for less expensive cameras. I have an old Canon G2 with a remote, and I'm NEVER going to get rid of it. Worth its weight in gold for any narcissistic crossdresser.

BLUE ORCHID
09-29-2012, 08:27 PM
A lot of mine just happen to show up on the "People of WalMart" website. So I just download them :heehee:

Hi Stephanie, That's why I wouldn't go to WALMART* dressed
My Pictures would be as seen on a POW video.

PretzelGirl
09-30-2012, 09:49 AM
You have to be creative.

Speed through a red light and smile big. You might get a free shot with your ticket.

Photoshop your face into another picture.

If you get arrested, some county's will post mug shots on-line.

In reality, I take very few pictures of myself. I always tend to look too posed and not relaxed when rushing around with timers. So I get the few I have from other people taking pictures. This is an advantage of being out in groups. My avatar is one from DLV where another attendee wanted to make a YouTube video of the attendees and asked if she could take my picture.

linda allen
10-01-2012, 07:30 AM
......In reality, I take very few pictures of myself. .......

But pictures are a good way to analyze your presentation and figure out how to do better. Pictures tell me that I don't smile enough and I should stand up straighter.

STACY B
10-01-2012, 08:25 AM
My Wife takes the pictures for me :)

Stacy B has the papparazzi following her... so she just saves them off the people.com website

Dam papparazzi ,,,,Can't get away from um ,,,, Everytime I turn around BAM ,,,THERE THEY ARE AGAIN !!!

Cindy M
10-01-2012, 08:29 AM
Dam papparazzi ,,,,Can't get away from um ,,,, Everytime I turn around BAM ,,,THERE THEY ARE AGAIN !!!

Know why? Supa Star!!!

Jamie Christopher
10-01-2012, 08:49 AM
Supa Supa Star! Keeps us in stitches, you go Stacy!

Jamie

Alice Torn
10-01-2012, 08:55 AM
I use older 35mm cameras from thrift stores, which have timers.

Jamie Christopher
10-01-2012, 09:01 AM
It's easy to point your camera or phone camera at a mirror in the women's department.....and it works pretty well.

Jamie

reb.femme
10-01-2012, 11:51 AM
How do you manage to take the photos? Do you carry a camera and tiny extendable tripod in your purse and set it up when no one is looking?

Actually, I do have a tripod when I stay away, but usually when out and about, I just plant my camera on top of a waste bin or some other handy item and set my camera for a three shot session. A real modern day Narcissus me! :) ....well the female equivalent!

Reb

meganmartin
10-01-2012, 12:01 PM
Many times I will just ask someone to take pictures for us. If your at a restaurant ask the waiter or waitress to take it for you.
Another trick I have found if your with a few people in your group ( another cd taught me this ) if you take a few pictures then sit down leave the camera in plain site someone will offer to take pictures for you. It has happen a few times so it does work.

cyndigurl45
10-01-2012, 12:07 PM
I have a sorta elaborate setup LOL a Gorilla pod
http://www.amazon.com/Joby-GP1-A1EN-GorillaPod-Flexible-Tripod/dp/B000EVSLRO

and my Xacti camera
http://sanyo.com/xacti/english/products/vpc_ca100/index.html

It's waterproof for the beach, has a nice self timer and the view finder flips over for self portraits and it's pink ;-)

Sarah Doepner
10-01-2012, 12:51 PM
Friends are the best resource. Not only will they take your photo but they will go shopping and out to eat with you as well. Next best are the trustworthy strangers, tripods and reflections in mirrors and windows.

Chickhe
10-01-2012, 04:05 PM
Normally I chew a whole lot of bubble gum and I just make a huge wad and firmly plant my camera on top of that!

MichelleTea
10-01-2012, 10:38 PM
If alone, I use a mini-tripod placed on top of a counter/table/railing.

Also, I make sure that the camera is 'expendable' in case someone comes by and takes off with it. I can't run well in heels. :)
So, I won't use my phone and I make sure that the memory card is clear of non-CD images.

DianeDeBris
10-01-2012, 11:02 PM
I hired a film crew to follow me around! when ever the model I hired to wear my clothes is unavailable! :D
Karren - fine concept, but I think you're throwing away your money. Any aspiring actress/model would gladly pay *you* for the chance to be your stand-in; if she's sufficiently gorgeous, what a great way to jump-start her career!
Hugs - Diane

Eryn
10-01-2012, 11:29 PM
I'm lucky enough to usually have friends around who will take pictures for me, but in a pinch my old Canon point-and-shoot has nice square edges and will sit upright on any flat surface. It even flashes its focus assist light three times rapidly before the self-timer goes off to warn me to look my prettiest!

I was at the LA County Fair this weekend with Persephone and our spouses and I had the opposite happen. A couple came up to me and asked me to take their picture! :)