PDA

View Full Version : If we jointly decided ...?

Lainie
09-29-2012, 10:24 PM
At lunch yesterday, I asked my wife "If we jointly decided that on a particular day I would wear a dress or skirt at home, how would that change things?"
We've been doing Don't Ask Don't Tell for a long time. She was & is ok with people doing as they please in general, but freaked that I want to wear women's clothes. She thinks it's a compulsion, is unsettled by mental illness, afraid of discovery. But we had a longer, better conversation than we've had in a long time. At one point she asked "I guess you've gone out in public. Did you ever see anyone you know? How did that feel?" I had never admitted before that I've gone out--although I have, sporadically, frequently, many times over many years. Only once* have I encountered a work colleague, I told her, and it was really scary. But when I said "The masquerade is a secret, but feel free to tell some one I don't know", he was very sympathetic and not at all judgemental. Great relief.
She asked what I get out of it, why I do it. Hard questions to answer, I did my best. She's still very uncomfortable about the whole thing. Gets upset when I wear a necklace--rather unisex ones around her, but still.
Some progress in principle. She offered to schedule time out of the house so I could dress, which is nice of here, but I do that already, as I'm sure she suspects. Still really reluctant to talk about it, and not at all accepting. Would like to give me an ultimatum to quit, but doesn't think I could do it.
So we're still at DADT. I've been doing this so long I'm used to it. She's still at square one. Maybe this is as good as it gets. Anyway, it felt good just to get to talk to her about it.
:straightface:

(*I've dressed often & encountered people I know from the local art scene, but that crowd doesn't overlap with my business associates or family.)

Jenniferathome
09-29-2012, 10:58 PM
Lainie, by talking about it, you have left DADT territory. Thank your wife. That's a big step.

ColleenCD
09-29-2012, 11:08 PM
Hi Lainie,

You did good by opening up communication with your wife about your dressing. Her comfort level may never change, but her trust level should increase with your honesty, and courage to broach a difficult subject with her. She asked hard questions, and giving straight answers shows your resolve. She may in time offer signs of support, but take each step with appreciation, respect, and expect that she may retract permissions at will.

Hope the best for you,

Colleen

outhiking
09-29-2012, 11:21 PM
Looks like a good step forward. My wife is not even comfortable talking about it, so we stay DADT.

Jenn A116
09-30-2012, 06:17 AM
Small steps! Headed in the right direction - just don't go too fast. Remember that she needs to be comfortable too and it may take her some time to adjust.

Beverley Sims
09-30-2012, 08:15 AM
Time is a great healer. Let her slowly get used to your activities as thew unfold.
Ever so slowly.