PDA

View Full Version : What's up with Canadian ex-military and their fascination with CDers/drag queens...?

Leslie Langford
10-01-2012, 09:16 AM
Here in Canada, we have an organization called the Royal Canadian Legion which is a non-profit veterans social group open to current and former military personnel, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP), provincial and municipal police, as well as direct relatives of members who can join as affiliated members.

There are branches in virtually every city and town of any size, and their facilities usually combine the functions of a pub, pool hall, dance hall, bingo hall, and banquet hall etc. By definition, it is a very macho, male-centric organization which allows the "boys" to congregate, shoot the breeze, and reminisce over old times and fallen comrades while hoisting a few.

So why the affinity for crossdressers and drag? Two recent examples come to mind, so am I starting to see a pattern here?

- For two years in a row now, the Kingston/Gananoque/1000 Islands area Gal's Spring Fling dinner and dance has been held at the Gananoque Royal Canadian Legion Branch #92 in Gananoque. Two years in a row now? They must like us...

http://www.galsspringfling.com/index.html

- Just last week, I saw a prominent, 1/4 page ad in the local community newspaper of a neighboring town advertising a drag show starring female impersonators Miss Conception, Farra N Hyte, and Savannah Davenport which took place this past weekend at the town's Legion hall. These performers routinely appear as well at a local LGBT bar that opened up about a year ago, is still going strong, and in a in-your-face gesture including the prominent display of gay iconography (rainbow flag etc.), established itself in a former restaurant directly across from a major shopping mall.

On it's website, the Legion coyly refers to the performers as comedians, but those in the know "get" the joke. I can only hope that old WWII vet Bill (or his ilk) didn't unwittingly bring wife Mabel to take in this "comedy act", only to have his dentures promptly fall on the floor from shock.

So what's this new-found fascination by the Canadian ex-military with drag and crossdressers? A new twist on DADT? ;)

Gillian Gigs
10-01-2012, 09:28 AM
As a fellow Canadian, I am not sure that it is a new fascination at all. Enertainment within POW camps had plays that needed female roles, since there were only men, some one had to play the parts of the women. Also my experience of the legion, is that they are getting cash strapped as most of the WW2 vets are gone and the Korean vets are getting there also. I was an associate member for a couple of years. It amased me that in the place where I was an attender, how most of the members were associates also. Many of the members of the town I am now in are very old, and if it wasn't for open steak night on fridays, and weddings, I wonder how long the building would stay open. Sad, considering how it served a good purpose for so many years.

Kate Simmons
10-01-2012, 10:46 AM
Not sure Hon but send a few of these guys my way. Sounds like a lot of fun.;):):battingeyelashes:

heatherdress
10-01-2012, 11:28 AM
Leslie - I think their fascination with the drag shows might simply be the money they make from renting their halls and facilities to the shows' promoters. Veterans' groups and volunteer fire companies frequently rent their halls for craft shows, parties, and other money-making activities for groups which need larger capacity function rooms. It would be nice to think there is an association beyond support and accommodation. By the way, http://www.galsspringfling.com/index.html looked interesting. Thanks for the insight and information.

Beverley Sims
10-01-2012, 02:02 PM
Hmmm!
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok.....
Maybe the Monty Python crew know something. :)

rita63
10-01-2012, 05:26 PM
The event is run by a trans/CD group called Xpressions that runs dinners and outings around Toronto. I imagine they got Legion backing because there are some veterans in their midst. Vetrans are a lot like crossdressers, they are everywhere and you would never know it. A sort of fifth column. Ok enough old fogey references, have fun get dressed.
hugs rita

Veronica27
10-02-2012, 09:37 AM
The event is run by a trans/CD group called Xpressions that runs dinners and outings around Toronto.

My understanding is that the event began as a joint effort of Xpressions in Toronto and Gender Mosaic in Ottawa. Two members of Gender Mosaic, Amanda and Sophia, were essentially running the event, and a few years ago formed Gal Productions which has been operating it since. Xpressions and Gender Mosaic are listed as sponsors along with many off the businesses in Gananoque.

Veronica