PDA

View Full Version : ER visit

angpai30
10-01-2012, 12:11 PM
My older brother has gout and it flares up every now amd then, but doesnt like to go to normal doctors; almost refuses. I took him to the ER last night and droped him off at the door. He walks in while I park. I walk in and he's already in so the receptionost lets me in. I walk over to the desk and she says "who are you here for?" I told her my brother and she pointed his curtain out and she said you are his sister? I said yes. I then go and sit down by him and when the visit is almost done with she walks in and says "I'm going to let your sister hold these for you" and my brother automatically remarks "thats not my sister, thats my brother and HE is transitioning from male to female. So she drops her clipboard and stares at me for about a minute then regains her composure picks up her clipblard amd says to me "out of all the years I have worked here I have seen many transgendered, but not one who can pass so well as a woman. I thought I could spot them all."

Angela

STACY B
10-01-2012, 12:15 PM
Dam your brother's hide ,,,, I wish I was there ,,I would have said ,,Yea brother right now but you just wait mister !!! LOL,,,

NicoleScott
10-01-2012, 12:19 PM
Wow. It sounds like your brother needs to get on board with your transitioning, or find another ride to the ER, especially for non-emergency reasons.

Tracii G
10-01-2012, 12:29 PM
Smack that brother of yours for me ha ha.

Megan Briana
10-01-2012, 12:45 PM
Smack that brother of yours for me ha ha.Double smack. one for the comment and another so he won't forget it

Tara D. Rose
10-01-2012, 12:51 PM
That was so wrong and thoughtless on the part of your brother. Surely he knew better than that, for I'm sure the two of you have had many conversations about your transitioning. How could he have been so disrespectful to you like that?

Cynthia Anne
10-01-2012, 01:03 PM
Yeah, that is kinda' a low blow from your brother! Perhaps he wants to drive himself from now on!
But I think it's great the way the receptionest could tell! You rock girl!!

Stephenie S
10-01-2012, 01:14 PM
Your brother is one of those responsible for the huge healthcare problem we have in the US today. He doesn't have insurance? Let me say that the cost of just ONE ER visit would pay his insurance for a full year.

Look, the ER is required to treat all who come in so those who have no insurance use it as a clinic. But remember, it's the EMERGENCY ROOM. They are equipped and trained to care for you in an emergency. Got shot? Go to the ER. Crushed in a MVA? Go to the ER. Get beaten up in a drug deal gone bad? Go to the ER. But that high quality ability to deal with trauma costs, and it costs PLENTY.

Example: I was in a different city nursing a friend. I got an URI (upper respiratory infection). Bad cough, sore throat, I couldn't shake it. I knew I should find a walk in clinic, but I was already in the hospital caring for my friend. So I went to the ER. I spent 4 hours waiting naked (well, paper gown) in an exam room, a doc listened to my lungs, and wrote me a prescription for some antibiotics. That's all. The bill was almost $4,000!!! About a thousand dollars an hour. But this is just about what a modern, well trained and well equipped ER costs. A walk-in clinic would have charged me somewhere around $150 for the same service.

PLEASE, everyone, don't use the ER for a wellness clinic. It ain't!! Not only is it expensive, it's not very well equipped to deal with an ear ache or a sore throat. They can patch you up from a bar fight just fine, they can set your broken leg and deal with your smashed face. But DON'T use it for a clinic.

OK, I'm done.

Stephie

Chickhe
10-01-2012, 04:02 PM
I think its a great story. You got some very good feedback and I find your brother's reaction curious, but while he was willing to correct the nurse, he also made a point of explaining your situation to her. So, he's not comfortable with you being a female yet...but at the same time he's willing to support you by offering an explaination. ...or is it just a case of foot in the mouth? Unlike other's, I think if you are transitioning, it should not be a secret...why lie about it?...but not something you normally broadcast either.

angpai30
10-01-2012, 04:09 PM
I had a similar experience today except It was from someone who has helped mein the past. Sje didm't recognoze me when I said hello and ner jaw dropped as she saw me and them came ad gavw me the biggest hub. I love hugs they are soooooo amazing, especially when you het higs like she gave me!

Angela

angpai30
10-01-2012, 04:20 PM
I agree with stephanie!

Angela

EllieOPKS
10-01-2012, 04:43 PM
Stephenie is right. But it's OK if you're an illegal alien. As far as your brother is concerned, a nice firm tap on his gout might get the point across that his comments aren't needed.

Joanne.England
10-01-2012, 04:49 PM
Next time he calls for a lift advise him that his brother is not at home and he may want to consider public transport!

StephanieJ
10-01-2012, 05:02 PM
"Sorry, you don't have a brother who can take you to the ER tonight, but your SISTER would be glad to take you to your physicians office any time during regular business hours..."

angpai30
10-01-2012, 05:24 PM
I like thart!

Angela

linda allen
10-01-2012, 05:26 PM
My older brother has gout and it flares up every now amd then, but doesnt like to go to normal doctors; almost refuses. I took him to the ER last night and droped him off at the door. He walks in while I park. I walk in and he's already in so the receptionost lets me in. I walk over to the desk and she says "who are you here for?" I told her my brother and she pointed his curtain out and she said you are his sister? I said yes. I then go and sit down by him and when the visit is almost done with she walks in and says "I'm going to let your sister hold these for you" and my brother automatically remarks "thats not my sister, thats my brother and HE is transitioning from male to female. So she drops her clipboard and stares at me for about a minute then regains her composure picks up her clipblard amd says to me "out of all the years I have worked here I have seen many transgendered, but not one who can pass so well as a woman. I thought I could spot them all."

Angela

It's great that you pass as well as you do. Take some pride in that.

As for your brother, he is probably having a really hard time adjusting to the little brother he grew up with now being his little sister. He needs to work on this and you need to help him to adjust. Don't be too hard on him, but don't let him off the hook either.

BLUE ORCHID
10-01-2012, 10:08 PM
Hi Kristin, It sounds like that you have the program pretty well figured out.

Next time dump his smart @$$ at the WALMART*.

mirandacdgirl
10-01-2012, 11:14 PM
I would have laughed at my brother and told the nurse.. well, he was the lucky one born with a vagina only problem is he has sand in it today. ;)

angpai30
10-02-2012, 01:08 AM
hahahaha that is so hilarious... I will so have to remember that the next time I take him to the ER and he says anything about it. Sand in his vagina hahahahaha... Whew, damn I'm laughing at everything I must be tired.

Angela

lauriep
10-02-2012, 02:23 AM
You need to go back to the ER a give that nurse some Roses, and a thank you card.

angpai30
10-02-2012, 01:54 PM
I thought about that, but she said they all switch around quite often and that most likely she would not receive them. She was someone elses replacement last night and would be a replacement somehwere else the next night.... So I gave her a big hug instead!!

Angela