PDA

View Full Version : Teach you son; "You be who you are..."

AlanaG
10-01-2012, 08:55 PM
I read this article in my local newspaper that originated from the Chicago Tribune and thought I'd share.

It's about how it's OK for boys to not like sports. While i was reading it I was thinking of other things, like CDing. It's a good read and really hit home for me as I've never been into sports at all.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-09-19/features/sc-fam-0918-parenthood-sport-outcast-20120919_1_panel-of-staff-contributors-activity-or-club-parent-advice

Some quotes:
"You can start by letting your son know that you love him exactly the way he is and that you've got his back."
"You don't ever want your child to disguise his genuine self to be accepted or avoid being bullied."
"We're all compromised by the idea that males don't have other qualities."

Tara D. Rose
10-01-2012, 09:18 PM
I feel you exactly. I have never loved sports the way the social norms of men in America are. Those 5 or 6 guys, up in the stands with their shirts off and a letter painted on their chest's yelling and screaming and jumping up and down with all that fat flying everywhere. Just not me. I've seen some guys will razor cut the hair on their head to their teams slogan or symbol, and then dye it the colors of their team, all with a big chaw of 'bacci, in their mouths, spitting that stuff everywhere. Macho

Angela Campbell
10-02-2012, 06:44 AM
I guess that is why I have always felt like I was on the fringe of society. Even when very young I just didn't fit in with the other boys. I preferred to play with dolls or play dress up or pretend games rather than sports. Later I found music and really went into that. I never wanted to play sports nor was I very good at it. I was much smaller than the other boys and a good bit weaker too. My parents did not try to push me into sports but they did draw the line and refused to let me take ballet.

BLUE ORCHID
10-02-2012, 06:57 AM
Hi Alana, I too have never been a sports fan.

Gillian Gigs
10-02-2012, 09:48 AM
One of the biggest problems that I had with my Dad was that he was always pushing me into things that I had no interest in. Any individual has to become "who they were meant to be". Parental interference, has much to do with what, or how they think, rather than about the child. I made it a point to not live my life through my children. It is important to find the childs strengths, and then encourage them into that field. Regardless of gender issues, everyone has strengths, and to me it is a parents responcibility to find it, and then lead the child into that area.

~Joanne~
10-02-2012, 11:32 AM
I am not a sports person either. I just don't see what the pleasure is to watch others making millions and playing. I can play sports but not watch them. I often wonder, is that the only pleasure men have when not working? How boring of a life is that?

I also agree with everything Gilliian said. We shouldn't push our children, though I don't have any, into things we like but let them develop into their own person and support them if possible with their choices if within reason. Obviously if a kid wants to be like charles manson, tha'ts not a good thing lol but if he/she shows signs of things of another gender, in our cases, then what harm could come of supporting that?

sonna
10-02-2012, 11:49 AM
agreed not much of a sports fan. its more fun watching the sports fans with there
special this and thats to help there team win.

i think if a kid is not interested then he or she not interested find something they are
and support them.

Beverley Sims
10-02-2012, 11:59 AM
I lived on the fringe for years never liked sport except tennis.
When I was asked to play in a girls hockey team I was so pleased they jokingly lent me a uniform.
It had a short skirt and tights.
They dressed me up to look like a girl so the umpire would not notice.
I played five games with them and we lost each time.
I also played tennis as a girl.
The only time I enjoyed sports.

Foxglove
10-02-2012, 01:36 PM
I grew up with sports and loved them. As I've got older, I've paid less and less attention to them. But I never saw it as a gender thing. After all, my sister and mother and just about every other woman in my extended family was a sports fan. For me, it was more a family trait than a gender one.

Stephanie47
10-02-2012, 02:05 PM
When I was growing up boys who did not play sports were not isolated. It was just acknowledge they had other interests. If we had a boy who was marginal in ability he played the least difficult position. In softball that was right field. (Our center fielder was "Charlie," AKA: Linda.) We tried to be inclusive. The big issue was the delineation of activity by sexes. Girls did not play sports, and, boys were not encouraged to cook, bake, etc.

Now I see more girls playing sports than boys. My neighborhood school yards and play fields are full of girls soccer and baseball teams. Boys seem to think it's macho to sit around and do nothing. Future @ssholes in the making.

EllenJo
10-02-2012, 04:28 PM
My male self loves sports and was a pretty fair baseball player back in the day. My female self enjoys cooking, baking, and reading romance novels along with the latest fashion news. Best of both worlds. Never had a son so never had to give this kind of advice but I always told my daughters to do whatever they liked and one did play sports in high school and is a terrible housekeeper today. Go figure.

Amy R Lynn
10-02-2012, 04:42 PM
I've always liked watching sports, but wasn't very good at playing them. The only sport that I did ok in was swimming. There was an added bonus to being on the swim team; we got to shave our bods. I loved that time of the year. It would give me a reason to shed the fur coat that I loathe so much.

As a parent I have to agree that you should support your child no matter what. If my son wanted to be a ballerina, fine! If he wanted to be the QB for the school football team, great go for it! If my kids are happy, then I'm happy. When they aren't happy, I'm not happy. So why wouldn't you accept them for who they are, and support them in their desires. Besides, I think we would all be hypocrites if we didn't, right?:tongueout

giuseppina
10-03-2012, 05:24 PM
I've never been a big fan of professional sports. The pugilism that passes for sport and/or entertainment is a big turnoff for me. On the other hand, the Olympic hockey matches I saw in 2010 were entertaining: fast, clean play with little or nothing in the way of gratuitous violence.