PDA

View Full Version : feminine mannerisms

KittyMuffin
11-23-2005, 08:35 PM
I have been extensively researching and practicing my feminine mannerisms. Here is what I cpompiled from various places on the net. Let's discuss... if this stuff is good, accurate, etc.?

shoulders pulled back
chest lifted up
center weight in hips/pelvis
swinging arms from elbows (not shoulders)
elbows turned inward, touching torso
hand: thumbs in, fingers slightly cupped

walking:
Don't:
1) Slouch,
2) Walk Fast,
3) Take long steps,
4) Hold your arms stiffly at your sides.

Do:
1) Keep your back flat and shoulders relaxed, and your bottom tucked in - not pushed out (try to imagine that your body is suspended by a cable attached to the top of your head),
2) Keep your chin up (confident, proud, and ready to greet the world around you),
3) Walk slowly (unless late or under attack),
4) Take fairly short steps - usually less than a foot length,
5) Keep your thighs and knees close together and place one foot in front of the other,
6) Keep your feet fairly parallel (avoid having your feet angle outward),
7) Shift your weight slightly forward, and onto the balls of your feet - don't walk flat footed, but don't tip toe,
8) Keep your upper arms close to your body, but allow them to swing freely from front to back. Keep your elbows and wrists fairly relaxed.

Because the goal is, of course, to be womanly, not be a guy-looking-like-a-girl. It's kind of sad though. Because I, like probably everyone here, has to basically learn everything that girls grow up doing. I have to consciously walk with my legs close together, keep the weight pulled back, keep head up, sit with legs together/crossed, etc, all that stuff. It's hard to retrain myself and on top of that, do it w/o looking like a weirdo. Please, share your thoughts!

TGMarla
11-23-2005, 08:49 PM
Sounds like finishing school. Anyone care to place a phone book on one's head? How is anyone supposed to remember all that after a few pops? Throw on a pair of heels, and try thinking like a woman, if that's really possible for us, and the rest will come in time.

uknowhoo
11-23-2005, 08:56 PM
You have given this serious consideration, haven't you.
Well, thanmks for passing along your findings.
Lord knows I need the tips, oh, and practice.
Hugs,
Tammi

Katrina
11-23-2005, 10:21 PM
Why couldn't you have posted this last week????? I got the nerve to go to the drug store "dressed" and when I got there I realized that I hadn't really practiced my feminine walk much. I gave it my best though and did a reasonable job - there was no pointing and laughing at least. Anyways, good list! :thumbsup:

Rebecca Petersen
11-23-2005, 11:46 PM
Boy, that's a lot to remember. I noticed from your profile that you are 20 years old, which is a strong benefit. (God, I wish I was 20 again) Observe women. All women. Learn from their movements. When you reach a point when you have absorbed all of the visual information...and you start thinking and feeling like a woman when you are dressed, you will find that the movements come naturally. Unfortunately, this concept evades some and no matter how much they observe and study they can never achieve the feminine movements, gestures, speech patterns, etc. Remember, it's a combination of the physical and mental. You have the time. Good luck.
Rebecca

JennyCD
11-23-2005, 11:52 PM
Lord! If you can do all of this you are doing well. Being built like a neanderthal, I can't possibly pass in looks, walk, or mannerisms. If you're dong all of this you're a far better woman than I am!

Phoebe Reece
11-23-2005, 11:55 PM
Good list. It's a lot to remember, but with practice one can get most of it. It's like what an actor has to remember when performing in a stage play. The first few times you have to look at the script a lot to see what you are supposed to be doing. After you've done it for the 20th time, you don't need the script and can do it almost without thinking.

Marlena Dahlstrom
11-24-2005, 12:28 AM
It's a good list for the most part. But you do need to be careful about the tips you find online, as not all them are accurate.

For example, the subject came up on another forums, and the GGs there agreed they'd never crossed their feet over as they walked (only models on the catwalk do that), nor did they walk toe-heel (rather than heel-toe). To get a feminine wiggle, just make sure you're thigh brush each other as you walk.

The length of the step does vary a bit depending on the clothes and the heel. Wearing pants and flats, the step isn't much shorter than a man's stride. In high heels and formal gown, the steps will be fairly short.

Women also talk with their hands much more than men do, and they also will touch themselves more (i.e. playing with their hair, etc.)

As Rebecca said, the best thing to do is observe women. One interesting exercise I've heard of is to tape a soap opera or other TV show with predominately female characters. Then watch is with the sound turned off, so you're focusing on their body language.

Christina Nicole
11-24-2005, 09:43 AM
I met and spent some time with Danae Doyal who teaches TGs how to present themselves as ladies. If you're close to her location, an in-person consultation makes a world of difference. Remembering the "rules" or "lists" was hard for me. Doing what Danae said wasn't as difficult. See http://www.femimage.com/

Warm regards,
Christina Nicole

Billie Renee
11-24-2005, 11:33 AM
I guess I was a lucky one my mom taught me well how to walk ,how to talk, how to sit and stand,but mostly being raised as a girl it became second nature to me and it was harder to learn to be a boy.

Julie York
11-24-2005, 12:02 PM
shoulders pulled back
chest lifted up
center weight in hips/pelvis
swinging arms from elbows (not shoulders)
elbows turned inward, touching torso
hand: thumbs in, fingers slightly cupped

OMG! When I read this I knew I had seen this before somewhere.

THUNDERBIRDS........ARE Gooooooooo!!

:D

MandyTS
11-24-2005, 12:17 PM
I bit my tongue from replying but I might as well...

There are about as many forms of manerisms as their are girls, and I have seen everything from ultrafeminie to downright tom boyish. From observing women and looking at my manerisms (which are quite feminine already) here is what I observe.

Most GGs are just trying to be confortable like men try to be. This means that they are not aways holding their legs perfectly together or always crossing them. Many girls actually sit with their legs slightly apart (maybe 4 - 6 inches) along with legs together or crossed. For me the natural posistion of my legs are together at the thighs and slightly apart at the knees, or crossed being the most confortable. This may be a consiqence of the attitute toward feminimity becoming more androgiouness but that is hard to say.

When I am presenting female I don't really think about all the little things, because that makes you mechanical. As long as you look and feel like a girl (or in my case are a girl) then all the little things fall in place. Do you think all girls walk in a perfect line? No... what about move their hips alot... no. It is all a function of anatomy... if girls rubbed their hips together all the time they would be raw at the end of the day!

Mandy

Maria D
11-24-2005, 01:08 PM
If girls rubbed their hips together they'd surely have a shattered pelvis? ;)

I don't know many, if any girls who actually do all those actions. Like Mandy says, most girls just move without thinking, slouch and shuffle like we all do. My fiancee strides like a stormtrooper sometimes lol.
When girls are growing up, they learn how to behave by watching how women behave (generally), so the same technique should work for us, providing you give in to it, that is to say, aren't afraid to be a man with feminine mannerisms. Unless you can switch between easily of course, I find that hard myself. :)

Take care
Maria

Charlene Marie
11-24-2005, 04:24 PM
Kitty Muffin,
Excellent tips Kitty, I've been practicing these things for years. I copied your list to remind myself.
If anyone want to enjoy going out in Femm, it takes a lot more that a wig, skirt and a pair of heels. I approach it like I'm playing a character in a Play, and I study hard every manerism of my character ;ie Charlene. I have one to add. When En Femm, and you drop your keys, do you bend over to pick them up? Or, do you keep your torso up straight, legs togeather and bend at the knees and pick up your keys.The mannerisms we have learned as male, will scream volumes about our true gender, and cause attention toward us.

Katrina
11-24-2005, 06:28 PM
...My fiancee strides like a stormtrooper sometimes...

Maria, I laughed out loud at that one! TK421 do you copy? These aren't the droids we're looking for.

Rachael R
11-24-2005, 07:57 PM
Kitty Muffin and the other girls have come up with some very good points here.

When i was learning how to affect the walk and mannerisms of a woman, I used to wear a tight girdle, (yes girls, it was that long ago) and a pair of three inch heels and just practice walking and moving around sometimes with a mirror but usually just by having observed the way women moved and walked. The tightness of the girdle seemed to accentuate my movements and make me concious of my movements.

I was lucky enough to learn this in my teen years and I didn't make my first public outing until I was past 30, so by that time the movements and mannerisms had become second nature.

Over the years i got many compliments on my seeming "natural femininity".

All of these posts have many fine points but I say that the best thing is practice, practice, practice...........

Julie
11-24-2005, 08:04 PM
I thought all you had to do was put a book on your head and walk without it falling off :confused:

KittyMuffin
11-24-2005, 08:31 PM
I would like to thank you for all of your tips. I guess the bulk of it comes a feminine mindset combined with time and practice.

I must say that I was atfist confused by the cable-from-your-head thing. But then I realized pretend you're floating or walking in clouds and it's easy. Try to walk on the balls of your feet while keeping your weight upward. Your shoulders should go back and tummy in automatically.

Alison Michelle
11-24-2005, 09:58 PM
I have been watching the teen and adult woman carry them self's for a couple of weeks. Most hips sway little if at all. The stride is about the same as mine for the same hight and gets progressively shorter as the heels gets higher. The overall mannerism is smoothness, that is something that is easy to practice and is not unmanly to do. Walking around frumpy with a slouch looks goofy to me, if your upright shoulders straight and head up projects confidence and pride in one's self. That holds true for any one man, woman or frog. :cool:

The one that is the hardest for me is the smile (Mand)! I'll sit in the car with a grin on for an hour or more, as soon as I get out it drops to a nondescript look. I guess I need to work on my attitude and bring that smile up.

So in conclusion, mine not any one else's. If you're not in a tight dress on four plus inch heels out on the town trying to look your best, most of the things on KittyMuffin's list won't be that obvious to anyone but you.

Have fun girls, I only notice because I want to be one. :thumbsup:

Huggs,

Alison

Helana
11-25-2005, 01:39 AM
Kitty's list is rather old fashioned ideas about poise. Its something which older women would still appreciate but younger women these days just slouch about mostly like men. If you go for too much poise you will end up sticking out in the crowd and not blending in.

Standing up straight and keeping your legs and arms fairly close together is all that you really need to remember. It is more important to be relaxed and loose than to try to remember all these points and end up stiff and unnatural.

Somebody posted this link a while back which is excellent by showing the difference between a masculine and feminine walk. You can adjust the slider from 100% male to a 100% female and rotate the image through 360 degrees.
http://www.biomotionlab.ca/Demos/BMLwalker.html