PDA

View Full Version : Living and working..working and living.

dawnmarrie1961
10-05-2012, 02:57 PM
Recently I started a new job as people greeter at a local department store. And ofcourse I go to work as ME. I couldn't live life anyother way. Talk about exposure!
The customers are very nice and polite. Oh I get the occassional double take from people but it's not like I'm not used to that by now.
I don't change my voice at all. I don't see the point. I'm not trying to hide who I am from anybody. I can handle myself just fine.
Their is a dress code so I have to adhere to it. No problem.
I can't give y'all the name of the store here because it's probably forbidden so I'll just throw out a hint. It starts with a "W". So if you're ever in Arlington drop by and I'll wave hello to ya.
HAVE A NICE DAY.:)

STACY B
10-05-2012, 03:04 PM
I might be kinda slow but thats the only store that has greeters that I know of ,,, Wish you worked round here I would come in twice a day an harrass you ,,,LOL,,,,

dawnmarrie1961
10-05-2012, 03:10 PM
Yup. That's the one. Harrassment is not tolerated but a light hearted "Howdy" is encouraged.

STACY B
10-05-2012, 03:13 PM
Ohhhhhhhh I'll be suddle real suddle ,,,, Just taken what they giving cuz I'm working for a living !!! Couldn't resist ,,,SORRY !!! LOL

sandra-leigh
10-05-2012, 03:17 PM
I might be kinda slow but thats the only store that has greeters that I know of

The C* stores have greeters, by the case-load (hint).

dawnmarrie1961
10-05-2012, 03:19 PM
No worries, Stacy. I wouldn't have posted that as a title for the thread if I hadn't expected someone to quote the lyrics.

dawnmarrie1961
10-05-2012, 03:21 PM
The C* stores have greeters, by the case-load (hint).
I'm not driving all the way up to Canada to go shopping unless they have a really good price on shoes!

cyndigurl45
10-05-2012, 03:22 PM
I've always been told that there are no stupid questions BUT Wally World can be a starnge place, the reference to the dress code. I see your a woman, then there's the voice comment, do they treat you as a woman? do you follow the female dress code?

Wildaboutheels
10-05-2012, 03:30 PM
Hopefully your post may dissuade any Wally World bashers [from this Forum] from "piling on" at work when WW gets brought up. I think most folks have no idea how many people WW employs. It seems to be a favorite pastime where I work to bash WW.

You'll have to keep us abreast of how things turn out for you. I'm sure some folks will complain to management about you while others [open minded folks] might be pleasantly surprised and put in a good word for you. Heck, you are likely to give courage to untold #s of CDers and help them to break out of their closet. [The ones who WANT out.]

STACY B
10-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Hopefully your post may dissuade any Wally World bashers [from this Forum] from "piling on" at work when WW gets brought up. I think most folks have no idea how many people WW employs. It seems to be a favorite pastime where I work to bash WW.

You'll have to keep us abreast of how things turn out for you. I'm sure some folks will complain to management about you while others [open minded folks] might be pleasantly surprised and put in a good word for you. Heck, you are likely to give courage to untold #s of CDers and help them to break out of their closet. [The ones who WANT out.]

You betta say the ones who want OUT ,,,LOL,,,Cuz as YOU know they all don't want OUT ,,,lol,,,, Wink,,,,Wink,,,,, Sure they don't------ Wink,,,,,

dawnmarrie1961
10-05-2012, 03:43 PM
I've always been told that there are no stupid questions BUT Wally World can be a starnge place, the reference to the dress code. I see your a woman, then there's the voice comment, do they treat you as a woman? do you follow the female dress code?
The dress code is gender neutral. As far a being refered to or treated as a woman? Why should I care? Treat me a PERSON. That's all I ask. And that's what they do.

dawnmarrie1961
10-05-2012, 03:50 PM

I don't want this thread to degrade into a gripe session about the evils of big business. I'm sure the moderators will keep that in check. They always do. Bless 'em.
As far as giving courage to the untold masses... I'll leave that for better person than myself. I'm there to work for a living. Just like everyother person who holds a job. We are not soo different.

sandra-leigh
10-05-2012, 04:37 PM
I'm not driving all the way up to Canada to go shopping unless they have a really good price on shoes!

I wasn't talking about Canadian Tire ;-)

The company whose name begins with C and which has greeters, has a location on West Arbrook Blvd in your city.

Cynthia Anne
10-05-2012, 04:49 PM
Hi Dawn Marrie! I think it's great that you are now working! And even greater that you can work and be yourself while doing so! Keep it up young lady! 'Cause deserve it! Hugs!

BLUE ORCHID
10-05-2012, 06:37 PM
Hi Dawn, That's wonterful that you can live your dream.

Jorja
10-05-2012, 07:04 PM
Let's see now... Arlington....... Hummmmm gonna have to work on that one.

Angie G
10-05-2012, 07:10 PM
What's great Dawn. And keep having fun with it girl.:hugs:
Angie

PretzelGirl
10-05-2012, 10:00 PM
Good for you Dawn Marrie! I hope you have nothing but pleasant experiences (as pleasant as a job can be :D).

dawnmarrie1961
10-05-2012, 10:12 PM
Hi Dawn, That's wonterful that you can live your dream.
I'll settle for simply just LIVING.

sometimes_miss
10-06-2012, 02:26 AM
I do you follow the female dress code?
I think the 'people of w*******' videos on Y**tube will catch enough female employees in the background to show that really means to wear cheap, unattractive, ill fitting clothing is the dress code there. Basically much of what they sell (which isn't always terrible), only pick the wrong size, match it to the wrong colors, and mix styles.

Megan Briana
10-06-2012, 04:07 AM
Good for you dawn. I am going to say that I wish for all the girls (me included) who haven't found their courage to go "out" but are seriously considering it, to take a deep breath, and "go for it"..... sorry for the qoute but i just watched all of those tonight. (Breath in, hold it.....and let's go!) Im goin to the store i my heals, jeans, and top ... 5a.m. nobody up on a saturday morning but the cashier.

(dont forget to hold that breath for me!)

Kate Simmons
10-06-2012, 05:38 AM
Just wondering, if they know you are TG which rest room are you allowed to use? I'm asking because years ago a F T M TS friend of mine had a hassle using the men's room where he worked. They didn't have unisex rest rooms then and it was a huge issue at his company.:)

flatlander_48
10-06-2012, 08:53 AM
I might be kinda slow but thats the only store that has greeters that I know of ,,, Wish you worked round here I would come in twice a day an harrass you ,,,LOL,,,,

Well, it sure ain't Woolworth...

Dusty815
10-06-2012, 09:07 AM
At our local "W" there is a cashier that has been there for years that is in our "club" and I've never seen anyone hassle her at all. She is obviously a great employee as she works alot and has been there a long time. Kudos to you Dawn!!

Beverley Sims
10-06-2012, 02:06 PM
In the film It's a mad mad world they all headed for the big "W".
No we are all going to meet at the Big "W" in Arlington Texas.
More power to you Dawn. :)

michelle2020cd
10-06-2012, 02:13 PM
our wally world has a girl working there, but she saids nobody there knows about her, and I believe her

Eryn
10-06-2012, 02:14 PM
Y'know there are stores other than Wallyworld that have greeters. The last time I visited Last Call for Nieman Marcus I was greeted by a distinguished gentleman in a 3-piece suit. Made me feel quite posh!

And Dawn, I'm glad that you're enjoying the most public job one could have that isn't on TV! :)

Tracii G
10-06-2012, 03:35 PM
I would come to see you but its quite a drive from here.
Good luck with the job good for you and for WM too.
A Trans girl I know works at Kroger and they have been great towards her.

Stephanie47
10-06-2012, 03:35 PM
When I go to Wally World or any other store, I only expect to be treated as a valued customer. Part of the experience is to encounter knowledgeable and groomed employees. How they are attired is of no concern to me. And, if I'm ever in Arlington, TX I'll stop and take in a Texas Ranger's game.

Alice B
10-06-2012, 04:14 PM
That is great. If the store were here I'd become a big spender and stop by to talk to you often. Keep it up.