PDA

View Full Version : So this was my week....

oliviall
10-07-2012, 11:20 PM
My divorce became final on Wednesday. No lawyers, just a couple hours in an office making sure everything we agreed to was written down and everything written down was agreed to. Papers signed. Go home.

Except I wasn't going home. I have my kids most weekends and that meant two days of empty house. No way. So I hit the road to see a friend in Vegas who was going to help me shop for halloween and take me out that night. On the way there I get pulled over for speeding. Told the cop I just got divorced an hour ago, he asked me if I was ok to drive, said yes, got a written warning for 81 in a 65.

Nice dinner Wednesday night with my friend and her husband (who is also my friend now). I met her six months ago after an outing in Vegas with a big group. Afterwards a few of us went to this gay bar where of course we were invisible, which was fine by me, but within 10 minutes we are talking to the only 3 GGs in the place, and we hang out for an hour or so. I talk via email for a few months with the one who was local, she's finally able to join our group for a night out, and her husband says these are the most normal people we've ever hung out with in vegas.

Shopping Thursday. Great fun time all day. Get blue shoes that actually fit and build that nights outfit around them, and a costume for halloween. Missions accomplished. We go out to the Drink and Drag (pretty slow, kinda touristy), then the Escape lounge for the Thursday night drag show. Gave many tips. Went to the ladies room and ended up assisting a woman on the floor doing her best Jimi Hendrix imitation. Her friends finally find out where she is and start to help. I avoided getting vomit on myself, which I consider a major achievement. Her very drunk friend comes in, starts to hug me / sleep on me, and asks me to put my lipstick on her. So I do. She hugs a little more before she is collected by her crew.

I go home Friday. Pick up my kids. Buy groceries. Get back to reality for a while.

Saturday I get some text messages from the ex. She is lonely. She says she has seen me be more spontaneous and adventurous and this makes me more attractive to her. That she thinks she can be a better friend as not my wife. I said, well, with reference to the adventurous bit, you don't know the half of it, and if you really want to be a good friend, there's probably something you have to know. Oh really she said, you should tell me when you have some time...so I say you have to come over in person.

Sunday morning she comes over in person, and I spill the beans. A little background on Olivia, just before we got married and for a little while after we had some private couple time at home, never left, never went out, so while this wouldn't be a total surprise. She was into it until she wasn't and Olivia was put away. Fast forward to 13 months ago, she moves out for other reasons. In Feb of this year, after I stopped believing she'd come back... I decided I give the going out thing a try and did it for the first time. Been out monthly since then. So I spilled it. All of it. Shared the photos, the absurd stories, everything.

Now she wants to go to the Halloween party in Las Vegas with me. Has been sending me her costume ideas. Trying to figure out where to best store my Olivia items such that the kids don't ask questions. Saying that allot of the assumptions that lead to the divorce were probably... faulty. Thinking maybe we should date. Tonight we've been texting about her excitement about going to the party, shoes, earrings, and controlling compulsive shopping.

I will no longer attempt to make sense of anything again I think. It doesn't seem to be very helpful. I will ride the crazy train and see where it goes, unless it upsets my stomach.

Thanks for listening. I may have left out some details. I want to save something for the memoirs which of course I will have to market as fiction.

Olivia

p.s. yeah that all happened.

Persephone
10-08-2012, 02:20 AM
Whoa Olivia! You are leading a wild life!

Sounds like your ex is having seller's remorse. Be careful! The bounceback many be real or it may be temporary. And if temporary, the pendulum could easily swing in the opposite direction.

You know her and the situation best.

Hugs,
Persephone.

GaleWarning
10-08-2012, 02:32 AM
Apparently some people get on better once they are divorced.
Hope you and your ex end up happy.
(Oh, and the kids as well.)

Amanda_P
10-08-2012, 03:09 AM
Me and my first wife are closer friends then when we was married. And its been 30 years since we divorced. But we have always remained friends. Plus it's easier on the kids if we don't fight every time we are together.

Beverley Sims
10-08-2012, 08:59 AM
Remorse and reality can set in.
If you want to reverse the situation work at it and take things slowly.
People do make mistakes. Some should never have married in the first place.
I wish you well in your endeavours.

oliviall
10-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Thank you all for your kind advice. It all feels so bizarre sometimes its good to see if I can tell the story with a straight face :)

The way I look at it... I am divorced, I am free... and I can date anyone I want... if I choose to date someone I know a little better and see where it goes, that's a valid choice.

I know that before the divorce I was probably in a place where I would have made allot more compromise than I would today. It was why I felt that full disclosure now was the right thing to do, for whatever kind of relationship we'd have in the future.

I have known her half my life, and we were friends three years before we started dating, although when it happened it was quick. We were best friends so long that I feel like I'd be cheating myself if I didn't at least find out how much of that was still there. At this point I honestly don't know, but this is how you find out, right?

She talked to an old boyfriend from high school recently and asked allot of questions, and I think has allot of understanding now about what some things are and what they are not. Probably helps to mention that he isn't a he anymore :) And it sounds like she's got allot of insight that she didn't have before into some of the differences between those of us who do this thing we do (I love saying it that way, sounds like how the mafia guys in the movies describe what they do, haha!). I still feel a bit of distance and have some things to let go of, not just if this is going to work but if I'm going to not drive myself into perpetual hermitness living in a sphere of negativity.

So that's where I am at. I do feel like I need to protect myself, but that's true in any new possibly romantic situation. I can't wait to tell this story to my counselor, it will be a blast! Just as an FYI, my counselor knows about Olivia, although its not been something we've spent a great deal of time talking about. She said to make sure I stay safe, don't let it all hinder the other parts of my life, then launched into a defense of the whole thing even invoking the name of Marlene Dietrich. I think I found a good one there, eh?

Olivia

Alice B
10-09-2012, 02:14 PM
It is not that uncommon for an ex to want to get together. I also advise being careful and taking it easy. Even if it turns out that she is totally aboard with your dressing. You have to realize that getting back together will lead to some frustration if you start living together again. Your time to dress will be greatly limited because your kids will be there all the time, not just on weekends. Good luck.

MsRenee
10-09-2012, 02:25 PM
Sometime exs realize they are better as friends depending on how long theyve been together. Its alot easier trying to mend fences instead of starting over fresh with someone else.this way gou both already know alot about each other and that there shouldnt be any suprisez that arise. I know that between my girl and me were alot happier and stronger as a couple instead of married. We still have little spats but who doesnt these days. Im glad you two are hanging out together. Are you 2 coming up here for the fetish and fantasy ball. We went several yras ago and had a blast. Leave your imagination at the door hehe.
Renee