PDA

View Full Version : Job applications

RachelPortugal
11-24-2005, 05:14 PM
Have any of you declared cross-dressing as a hobby on job applications?

Our human resources drew my attention to a something strange that an applicant listed as a hobby/outside interest.

"Swinging" - talk about being upfront about things.

I think I'd get to know the management and staff before making something like that public.

Billijo49504
11-24-2005, 06:14 PM
Sounds like a good way to not get hired.

Gale R
11-24-2005, 06:27 PM
Perhaps the applicant was a Tarzan impersonator.:D

Adrianne
11-24-2005, 08:03 PM

Our human resources drew my attention to a something strange that an applicant listed as a hobby/outside interest.

I think I'd get to know the management and staff before making something like that public.

I agree with you on that one Rachael.

Paula Rae
11-24-2005, 08:14 PM
Swinging used to be a style of dancing back in the 60s. In the San Francisco Bay Area, there were a lot of Swing Dance Contests. Most of the popular night clubs had them.

Ricki B

Stephanie Brooks
11-24-2005, 08:33 PM
Swinging today has other meanings. My guess is the aforementioned applicant was saying he's into the contemporary variety, and that he'd enjoy finding some partners within his newfound potential employer. From a hiring manager and/or HR perspective, an open declaration of swinging is fodder for sexual harassment. If I was a hiring manager and I saw this on an application, I'd reject the person outright. It's a stupid thing to put in an application. I don't care what a person does on his/her own time. However, if I think a person is going to solicit fellow employees for "fun and games", that person would suddenly no longer be a candidate for employment.

Putting crossdressing in a hobby/outside interest section of a job application I'd argue is equally stupid, at least in the US. Why would you do it? Reverse the roles. You're an HR person or hiring manager. You want someone who is capable of doing a job, and has a good chance of fitting with others in your company. If the person will interact with customers, you want them to be a good representative of the company. Say you've got two applicants who are equally qualified, but you have only one opening. It's your reputation on the line. Who are you going to hire, the one who indicated crossdressing on the application or the one who did not?

Deborah_UK
11-25-2005, 02:20 AM

perhaps it was a spelling mistake, and they meant to put "singing" lol :D

Mandy Salamander
11-25-2005, 05:33 AM
actually,, the only real reason i have for changing employment at this time,, would be to a more transgender~friendly atmosphere,, where transition might be possible,,, as such,, i doo, indeed list crossdressing on all my current applications,, and have posted resumes, under my femme name, at career builder and monster.com,,,,, ( interestingly,, one response was from a recruiter,, who just happens to be a closet CD'er ),,, however, otherwise see no benefit and generally keep my business and personal lives separate...

RachelDenise
11-25-2005, 07:58 AM
Maybe it was golf! Swinging the golf clubs? Nah........

Tiffy
11-25-2005, 09:14 AM
My guess is if the person put swinging as a hobby, then I bet they are not getting any.

And as for why someone would wonder wether or not to put CD'ing as a hobby I am not sure.

Kisses, April

TGMarla
11-25-2005, 09:19 AM
Stephanie is right. Why do it. Instead, one could wear a sign that said "Harrassment needed!" It just isn't smart. Besides, some of my extracurricular hobbies are suitable for sharing. Others aren't anyone's business but my own, and those whom I choose to share them with.

Phoebe Reece
11-25-2005, 11:27 AM
Generally speaking, one should only list hobbies and interests that may enhance your ability to do the job that you are applying for. For instance, someone who has an interest in stage acting might have extra abilities in a job where public speaking is required. I suppose that listing crossdressing as a hobby might give you an advantage if you were applying for a job in the fashion design industry.....?

Sarahgurl371
11-27-2005, 11:50 AM

:D I don't care who you are, Thats funny right there, Git er' done!:D :D

Thanks I needed a good laugh today!!!:)

Christina Nicole
11-27-2005, 08:04 PM
Swing dancing has its origins in the 1940's with the era of the big bands. I am a jazz fancier and love the big band sound. (I wish Sirius would put Swing Street back instead of that new age stuff.) Can’t dance a lick, but love the big band swing sound. Swing dancing has come back into style. It’s been pretty popular for the last several years. However I don’t know anyone who calls it swinging.

I am a TG, whether that's a CD or a TS, I don't know, but CDing is not a hobby, so I don't list it on my resume. I suppose I could list shopping, but that's more accurately an obsession rather than a mere hobby.

Warm regards,
Christina Nicole

BrendaChristine
11-27-2005, 09:05 PM
Put down crossdressing and if they ask, tell them you make religious icons as a hobby.:D

Lauren_T
11-27-2005, 09:58 PM
Reverse the roles. You're an HR person or hiring manager. You want someone who is capable of doing a job, and has a good chance of fitting with others in your company. If the person will interact with customers, you want them to be a good representative of the company. Say you've got two applicants who are equally qualified, but you have only one opening. It's your reputation on the line. Who are you going to hire, the one who indicated crossdressing on the application or the one who did not?The crossdresser...

Not merely because of my own gender identity, but because I would assume the CD to more likely than not be a more sensitive person (and therefore possibly a better communicator than the average male), and I am always inclined to give the nod to people who take their own path and who think 'outside the box'...

RachelPortugal
11-28-2005, 04:06 PM
Put down crossdressing and if they ask, tell them you make religious icons as a hobby.:D

Good one BrendaChristine. Only thing is, you need to get to the interview stage to explain it.

Stephanie Brooks
11-28-2005, 09:56 PM
The crossdresser...

Not merely because of my own gender identity, but because I would assume the CD to more likely than not be a more sensitive person (and therefore possibly a better communicator than the average male), and I am always inclined to give the nod to people who take their own path and who think 'outside the box'...
Yes and I understand that. Let me rephrase it.

Reverse the roles. You're a "normal" person, not GLBT or part of the GLBT community. You're now in that other 95% (or so) of the world. Your knowledge of crossdressing is limited to what is presented in popular media. That means the positive side of crossdressing comes from Jerry Springer and Oprah Winfrey; the negative side comes from the occasional crime in the news where the perpetrator is crossdressed. While you've a reasonably secure job, a screwup could have you out the door faster than you can say, "I'm sorry!" or a more colorful pair of words. You're married, have two kids, a mortgage you can't afford, two vehicles you can't afford, and someone's always ready to chew you a new orifice.

You, the aforedescribed "normal person", are an HR person or hiring manager. You have a single job opening and you've got two applicants who are equally qualified. It's your a@@ on the line. Who are you going to hire, the one who indicated crossdressing on the application or the one who did not?

Jesse69
11-28-2005, 10:41 PM
I think it's suicide to mention that you're a crossdressor on job applications. My career was badly hurt by my employers finding me out. Most of my employers spied on me, because I never told anyone I was a crossdressor. My last professional job before my current job - they laid me off because they found out about my crossdressing. And then they made fun of me at the Xmas party. I felt like shooting some people, but I never did.

Christina Nicole
11-29-2005, 12:38 PM
I've done some hiring. Based on the givens Stephanie provided, if two people were equally qualified, then I might go for the non-crossdresser. But there's never two people exactly equal. There's always something to make one seem better than the other. Sometimes one does A better and the other does B better, then it becomes a judgement call. Or a WAG. Whatever. But if the crossdresser appeared to make the better employee, then I'd hire him after asking, why he put that on the application, and if he planned to crossdress at work.

Jessie, I find it hard to believe that an employer spied on you. Depending on the spying, it might have been illegal. What makes you think they spied on you? Maybe you let something slip? Spying seems so Orwellian.

Warm regards,
Christina Nicole

Bonnie D
11-29-2005, 01:40 PM
I agree that putting "swinging" or "crossdressing" in hobbies is not a good idea if you really want the job. What you do outside of the work place is none of their business unless you are representing the company while you are doing it. Companies dealing with security should know about outside activities to protect against blackmail but should not list it as a hobby but something private and to be kept private.

From what I understand crossdressing is not illegal and therefore no one should be fired from their job if it is found out you are doing it on your on time. The staff should not have been told about it either, which is harassment on the employer's part.

I really don't understand why "hobbies" is even a category on an employment application. I see all the time but can't see why it's there. Are they trying to judge your morality by what you do in your spare time?

I don't know!

Bonnie

Stephanie Brooks
11-29-2005, 02:18 PM
Companies dealing with security should know about outside activities to protect against blackmail but should not list it as a hobby but something private and to be kept private.
Suffice it to say that disclosure of crossdressing for security reasons is fine. I've no problem with that, and they don't have a problem with it either as long as you can't be blackmailed.

"We have pictures of you crossdressed."

"Are they any good? Can I get a copy?" :p

Jesse69
11-29-2005, 11:01 PM
Jessie, I find it hard to believe that an employer spied on you. Depending on the spying, it might have been illegal. What makes you think they spied on you? Maybe you let something slip? Spying seems so Orwellian.

Warm regards,
Christina Nicole

I've had several instances where my employers called me "gay" at work. How would they know? Through gossip? Maybe they saw it when I bought womens clothes after work. I work in a sensitive position at most companies where I can theoretically steal blueprints and be an industrial spy. So I guess that's why they follow me around after work. I'm a mechanical engineer / technical writer. I've never let it out to anyone at any company that I crossdress.

Yeah, the last company I worked for really treated me bad when they made fun of me at the company Xmas party. I wish that company went out of business.

Lauren Mitchell
11-29-2005, 11:41 PM

A) It is a real good way not to get hired
B) It is a real good way to lose a job - Remember the Peter Oiler and the WInn Dixie Case?