PDA

View Full Version : Makeup seems like too much work...

sweetgal
10-09-2012, 11:40 PM
So I have to say that the idea of spending a lot of time putting on makeup seems like a lot of work and effort. Don't get me wrong, I would like to try it and see the results, but to do it right seems like a an extended effort. How much time do all of you spend each time you make yourself up?

Diane Maple
10-09-2012, 11:54 PM
The first 5 - 10 times... like 40 minutes or so... putting it on, cleaning off part of it, putting it on again....

Now, I can get the base on in like 5 minutes. New things I'm learning are a lot slower... so it depends on what it is..
I think my profile pic took me... 15 - 20 min or so.
eye lid primer
beard cover
cover up
powder
lip primer
lip stick
... to here is about 5 min
eye shadow (getting a lot faster at)
eye liner (ug... still having issue with thick / thin lines / water line)
mascara (better but, still touching eye lid some which means I have to go back and clean + touch up)
crimp eye lashes (not a big deal, fast)

My wife can do it all in like 8 or less for perspective

Eryn
10-09-2012, 11:56 PM
You're right, a good makeup application it is quite a bit of work! That's why most GGs wear only lipstick! I would too except that I have to cover my maleness and makeup helps me do that.

When I first started to do my makeup, It took over an hour to get right. As I gained experience and lost a lot of beard shadow through laser and electrolysis the time became less and now I can get it done in well under a half-hour. The fact that I get to go out after it is done is quite a motivator to speed me up!

AllieSF
10-09-2012, 11:58 PM
15-30 minutes depending on the time available, for foundation, blush, eyebrow pencil, eye liner upper and lower lids, eyeshadow and mascara, a spritz or two of perfume and voilĂ*. Practice makes perfect and in my opinion perfection with makeup is over rated unless you have the perfect skin as a starting canvas, which I do not.

Amy A
10-10-2012, 12:02 AM
Never timed it, but probably around 25 minutes. Never feels like a chore though, I really enjoy it! :)

Diane Maple
10-10-2012, 01:07 AM
15-30 minutes depending on the time available, for foundation, blush, eyebrow pencil, eye liner upper and lower lids, eyeshadow and mascara, a spritz or two of perfume and voilĂ*. Practice makes perfect and in my opinion perfection with makeup is over rated unless you have the perfect skin as a starting canvas, which I do not.

Actually, not using the sponge and using the brush was much faster and it showed some of my natural skin imperfections which I like. Besides, I have only seen a few plastic looking real women who look perfect. Everyone else have a little more texture, more real to me. IMO....

Others thoughts on this?

Carrie R
10-10-2012, 01:12 AM
Makeup is a lot of work, never really timed myself but I can take around an hour or so, probably a high estimate... but then again I don't really do "subtle" all that well. I only dress up every couple weeks or so at the most, if I did it more often I'd tone it down a bit. Most of the time it is worth it.

Beverley Sims
10-10-2012, 01:16 AM
Makeup is a chore, but if you want to look like a woman that is something you need to do.
The result is rewarding.

Amanda_P
10-10-2012, 01:18 AM
It takes a while to get it just right. But then when you start getting the look you want it starts to get easier and you get faster at it. My only problem is I don't want to take it off. I look so much better this way.

bridget thronton
10-10-2012, 01:35 AM
I agree - really do not like to take it off (I look much better with than without)

heatherdress
10-10-2012, 01:53 AM
It's part of the fun, too. You can be so creative. It takes time initially but you can streamline the steps with some practice and experience.

jaye_cd
10-10-2012, 02:27 AM
Concealer to cover up the awful dark circles under my eyes. Liquid foundation to even color, mineral powder to soften it up. Dark purple creme shadow on the lids and circling the eyes. Lighter purple along the brow arch. Q-Tip to blend and soften the colors. Black liquid liner along the lash/water lines. Mascara. Black shadow to fill in the brow line. Apply lipstick. Voila!

noeleena
10-10-2012, 02:53 AM
Hi,

Makeup. Oh dear,

Well i spent 2 years learning what would suit me & if i got it wrong or it looked ...yea well... Jos soon told me get it off & do again, so i did,

I allso had friends in one of our biggest stores in Christchurch 2.1/2 hours drive north of us so did that two times , they were really good. of cause at that time as well i was buying my clothes so when all was ready i had what i needed .

Allso with in the 11 years i wore a wig pretty much were ever i went, at the end of that time I said to Jos enough iv had it with my wigs , no more thats it, end of ,i was getting headaches

So now no wigs no makeup just my normal day to day wear . i have no hair if you call this makeup then thats it lippy & eyebrow liner only because of being burnt on my right hand side of my face. no eyebrows,

& if i do forget that i still go down the street just the same, Oh & by the way no makeup will do anything for me , as in my avatra thats how im seen . & im accepted & part of womens groups so its not an issue ,& people are so used to me now .

Most of my women friends dont use makeup unless its a special event, face wise iv nothing to hide,

...noeleena...

daphne g
10-10-2012, 03:44 AM
Hi there
Im Not Sure if you're looking at it the wrong way
For me the makeup is one of the best things about
Cding ,fun and sexy even the shopping for it
I like also to get advice from sa,s on how to get the best effect
Try to have fun with it

Cheryl T
10-10-2012, 04:39 AM
At first it did take a lot of time. I would of course take my time to do it and refine my look.
My wife used to kid me about the time I would spend in front of the mirror. Now after years of doing it it's down to about 15-20 mins depending on where I am going. If it's a special event then of course I take more time to look my best. If I'm just going to the mall then it's much quicker.
Like anything else it takes practice and with practice the time you spend on it decreases.

As many have said, it's all part of the fun of getting dressed and disguising the male features we don't want to be seen.

Nichola
10-10-2012, 04:52 AM
I love makeup, for me it's one of the funnest parts of dressing & also one of the most effective. I haven't dressed for ages so am probably out of practice, but it would take me anything from 15 minutes to an hour depending on what kind of look I'd be attempting.

Rogina B
10-10-2012, 04:58 AM
It really doesn't take very long and for all of us,the transformation is well worth it!

Kate Simmons
10-10-2012, 05:21 AM
True Hon but as with many things, the end result is usually worth the effort. Plus with practice and actual doing, it tends to become second nature like many things in life.:)

ChelseaErtel
10-10-2012, 05:44 AM
For me it's about 30-20 minutes. All depends on how much time I'm going to put into my eyes. I have noticed that most women at least do their eyes to some extent, my wife and mother won't leave the house without mascara and eye liner.

Also, it's what makes me feel complete and it's a lot of fun. You can experiment with different looks, colors, and explore ways to make you look like the woman inside you.

I love trying new eye shadows. I look at magazines and the internet and find things that I would like to try. I go for matching the outfit, my red hair and fair skin. There are day and evening looks and on and one. It's one of the joys of CDing.

Conceler and foundations are the hardest for some. I don't have to cover my beard (it's white and grey and doesn't show after a close shave), but if you do there are lots of tips here to help with that. Finding the correct color is a challenge, but that can be fun too.

Alicew
10-10-2012, 06:24 AM
Practice practice practise im told only problem is i just dont have the privacy to actually do it all to much yet,so im at the trowelling on filler look at the moment plus with my athritis its left me the dexterity of applying with boxing gloves on gets messy and frustratng but slowly getting dexterity back to sub normal.
Beard covers my main problem at the moment im like homer simpson i shave and 5 mins later its back.

Jennifer Marie P.
10-10-2012, 07:11 AM
Makeup is a chore but when you get the hang of it it only takes 20 minutes.

Hollylee
10-10-2012, 07:22 AM
Yes it is, but so worth the effort if done right. If you can get an experienced girl, tgirl or make up artist to help the first time or two it makes the process so much easier. Oh, it takes me about 45 min. Good luck and go for it, you will feel so beautiful!

NicoleScott
10-10-2012, 08:50 AM
For me, a lot of the fun of dressing up is the transformation process. It's not just being made up, it's getting made up. I have no shortcuts. It takes up to 1-1/2 hours, and I love every minute of it. So for me, there's a big payoff to making up.

Tina B.
10-10-2012, 08:57 AM
Wow, I never saw it as a chore, I find it as one of my favorite parts of dressing. I used to take an hour or more, before I was happy with it, now days it takes about 15 minutes most days, around 30 minutes when I want to dress up real nice. I don't feel I've complete dressed with out make up.
Tina B.

ColleenCD
10-10-2012, 09:15 AM
Hi Sweetgal,

Make up is hard. But what part of CDing is really easy? The clothes are a challenge to fit right, the cute shoes are rarely made in my size, the public acceptance and family relationships just aren't the same as say an avid model railroader. Yet we're compelled to try something feminine, and we like it, still unsure as to why. But at the end of the day, you're as pretty as you want to be. Some girls just use make up to help us get there. I'm off to get some eye shadow.

Colleen

Kerstin
10-10-2012, 09:25 AM
Oh man... make up. The learning process was painful. I'm still learning. I lost count of the amount of times I ended up looking like a clown who'd just survived an explosion in a cosmetics factory. Now I just try to get away with as little as possible.

Barbra P
10-10-2012, 10:08 AM
It takes me thirty minutes give or take to apply my makeup, but I don’t look at as work, for me putting on my makeup is enjoyable and something I look forward to doing. There was time and effort involved learning what works and what doesn't and that is still true to this day even after fifty years of playing with makeup. Notice I said “playing” and not “working” with makeup because for me it was fun. Starting out you will make a lot of mistakes, probably more mistakes than successes, but you’ll learn and when you look in the mirror and see one of the successes it all becomes worthwhile.

You’ll make mistakes in the makeup you buy, not all makeup is created equally, mistakes in the colors you choose, and mistakes in the application. Getting the right color foundation can be a daunting undertaking and if done by trial and error it might turn out to be an expensive one as well. Getting the right color and tone is very important and the easiest way is to go to a store, either a large department store or a cosmetics store, and let the SA determine the right shade. Most young males are hesitant to do this but it really isn't a big deal and only takes a few minutes – with Halloween approaching this is a great time to do it. After you have the right foundation either get some loose powder in the same shade or get some translucent powder, the powder is used to set the foundation, plus it gives a nice soft appearance.

My routine starts with the application of some moisturizer, foundation can be very drying. Next I use the sponge applicators in the shape of a wedge, get the close cell sponge otherwise the sponge will soak up more foundation than what you put on your face, to apply a thin even film of foundation to my face. You want to blend the foundation under your jaw line and down your neck as well. You can wash and reuse these sponges although they only cost four or five cents each. I then set the foundation with some mineral powder using a large powder brush; at this point my face has an even skin tone and looks much softer,

I generally use either shades of brown or amethyst for eye shadow, a darker shade on the lid itself and a lighter shade between the lit and the brow, then blended using a blending brush so there is a sharp line between the two colors. I then apply some highlighter just under the brow and at the inner corner of the eye. Eyeliner and mascara are used to finish the eyes.

A little light blush to the apples of my cheeks applied with a soft brush adds a bit of color; most beginners tend to overdo he blush, the blush should usually be rather subtle. Then some lipstick in whatever shade strikes my fancy; bright reds generally aren't a good choice nor is bubblegum pink. One final step, which may not really be makeup, is a couple of sprits of a nice feminine scent.

If I didn't screw up around the eyes I’m generally done somewhere between twenty and thirty minutes, but sometimes I like to play around with new products or a new technique, especially around the eyes, and then I may spend more time in front of the mirror.

Paulette
10-10-2012, 10:32 AM
When I started it took me up to 2 hours to get dressed and made up and out the door, most of that time was make up. I now use dinair airbrush make up and I can put on a complete day face in about 20 minutes or less. Let's face it most women use at least two different levels of make up. Every day out the door living in the real world make up and special occasion make up for an evening out for dinner, clubbing or to the theater. Once you get the basic everyday look nailed it is easy to ratchet up the look with a few extra colors. You do have to play with make up to get it right. Natal girls start early playing with make up receiving clues form mom and older sisters and friends on what looks right and what looks like a train wreck.

If you are not going to go out you might not want or need as much practice, but if you are going into the main stream you need to get your look right for the venue. Club make up in the grocery store at 3:00 in the afternoon will get you clocked in a heart beat. Foundation, eye lid liner, one color on you lid, mascara, blush, and a nice lippy color and you can hit the grocery and be just like the rest of the women on a mission to get food and get out of there. Not many women look forward to having to grocery shop so it usually not a fashion parade unless it is right after 5:00PM and they are on their way home after work. Casual clothes requires casual make up and dressy clothes requires that you break out the full make up kit and have at and have some fun while you are doing it. Remember all you are doing is enhancing what mother nature gave you to work with.

docrobbysherry
10-10-2012, 10:59 AM
Takes me 10 seconds to put my face on. 5 to take it off.

Oh, MAKE UP, u say? I'm terrible with any of that!

MsRenee
10-10-2012, 11:11 AM
From the time I step out of the shower to fully dressed to out the door is close to an hour. I always like to look my best heading out and dont mind the extra time involved. Only get one chance to make an impression and Im gonna make a big one. Girl theres no time limit. just the more you do it the easier its gonna get. Practice makes perfect.
Renee

BLUE ORCHID
10-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Oh Dear Sweetgal, Nobody ever said that being a lady was going to be easy or quick!!!

carhill2mn
10-10-2012, 11:52 AM
Putting on my makeup is just a part of the process to look more like a woman. I do not feel right without it. It takes me less than 10 minutes to do it. The reward is well worth the time and effort. It did take some practice to be able to do my eye makeup easily. However, for me, the eyes are the most important part. I use a liquid foundation and some blush to finish off the look.

Shdow_dragoness
10-10-2012, 12:06 PM
on average I can get it done between 10-15 min. Which entails: concealer, Foundation, 2 shades of eye-shadow, Powder, mascara, and brow powder. I work fast, but I manage to get the details done right. It's all in the motivation and if you have the finnese to pull it off.

bobbie c
10-10-2012, 12:24 PM
oh it's the fun part....i get to leave me behind and create a new me....how fun! 20 to 30 minutes and as was said...sometimes too much isn't good.i use brushes now and that was after a make over at ulta.learned alot and now the clown look has gone bye bye. i still poke my eye with the eyeliner tip to let me know i am still a guy...ummm getting better however!!

Meghan
10-10-2012, 12:33 PM
So I have to say that the idea of spending a lot of time putting on makeup seems like a lot of work and effort. Don't get me wrong, I would like to try it and see the results, but to do it right seems like a an extended effort. How much time do all of you spend each time you make yourself up?

Ah, makeup. I love it. I always have, since I was a little boy. I am fascinated how many different looks can be accomplished with makeup.

That said, it just depends. Sometimes it's just a quick base/powder and a little mascara. That takes 5 mins at the most.

If I am going for a very dramatic evening look, it can take well over an hour to get everything just right. But I utterly enjoy the process so much that I like to take my time and not rush though it.

My wife rarely wears makeup at all unless we're going out to play or on a formal night, by the way, and she is a beautiful woman. It may turn out that you may not ever want to wear it except for special occasions.

You don't have to wear it at all if you don't want to :)

Do whatever works for you!

Meghan

stephNE
10-10-2012, 01:12 PM
I really can't go out without makeup. I need at least a foundation and setting powder to cover, and then you might as well do the eyes too. If I'm in a hurry, I can throw it on in 30 minutes. But when I take my time and add doing my nails its well over an hour.

Ressie
10-10-2012, 01:13 PM
I'm kind of a novice with makeup. The good stuff costs too much. I get mine at the dollar store at this point. I rarely poke myself in the eye though!

Candice Mae
10-10-2012, 01:18 PM
Usually takes me 10-15 minutes, took me about an hour when I first started.

Ashley D.
10-10-2012, 01:24 PM
For everyday I spend 5 to 8 min. Going out maybe 30.
But it's something I enjoy doing.

Tracii G
10-10-2012, 04:51 PM
When I first started an hour or so but now I use far less make up so its about 30 45 min.
I do the concealer and foundation and let it sit for 10 min then set it with powder.The rest is a snap.

Angela Campbell
10-10-2012, 05:05 PM
It's only work if you would rather be doing something else.....It takes me forever....the hard parts are false eyelashes which I am learning now...and eyeliner which is hard as hell. Shadow, eyebrows, blush and foundation is pretty easy. For me it takes at least 40 min just for my face....if I am showing cleavage or too much arm add a little more time. Add in nails and .....well I start early.

Samantha43
10-10-2012, 06:45 PM
It takes me about an hour and a half to go from yuck to Sami. I love makeup. It's the one thing that makes Sami, Sami. The hour and a half includes applying makeup, getting dressed and applying my stick on nails. It's a labor of love! :battingeyelashes:

Leann68
10-10-2012, 10:34 PM
Wow, talk about a wide variedy of opinions and thoughts on make up.
As for myself I have not dressed in a couple of years, but last time I put on make up it took the better part of 1 hour, and I never got good enough at it to get the ultimate look.
My wife will not leave the house with out putting on a little make up, not a heavy look just a little lip stick and eye liner. But my oldest daughter takes over one hour each morning to put on her face, she is a beautician by profession, and looks a lot like some one you would see on a television show.

Diane Smith
10-10-2012, 11:42 PM
I allow myself about 20 minutes to do my standard "everyday" look for an ordinary outing (shopping in town, going to the hair or nail salon, that kind of thing), up to an hour if I'm getting ready for a big night out. Once or twice a year I will schedule a professional makeover instead, which usually takes about an hour as well.

The time spent is mainly a pleasure, and only gets annoying if I am running behind schedule for some reason.

- Diane

chrisadd
11-27-2012, 05:10 PM
A good silicone primer under the foundation helps make the rougher skin look smoother and also helps the foundation to last longer. The best I have found so far is by Rimmel.

MssHyde
11-27-2012, 05:41 PM
Your right, it's a real chore. very labor intensive, for very little time I get to enjoy it. I spend a couple of hours getting ready. doing my nails, covering the bed with clothes, having makeup on every square inch of the sink counter, shoes all over the place. then the jewelry. yuck, who needs all that girly stuff!
I'm going to call it quits!

until the next time, Cheyenne want to come out in play. hehe

minalost
11-27-2012, 06:13 PM
Depends on weather I have to scrub it off and start all over again or not. Not really timed myself but I know I'm getting faster. I do wonder sometimes if it's worth it given how little time I can spend dressed up. If it wasn't so DARN much fun I might just skip this step...

irene9999
11-28-2012, 07:47 PM
It's kind of a chore but when done right it makes you look so much better! I like the fact I can cover all my imperfections and look prettier with it, it's worth the effort IMo

Meghan
11-28-2012, 07:56 PM
EDIT: I just realized I answered this question for a second time...oh well...I'll leave it because of the point about being Zen like, I left that out of the original post...

Anywhere from 5 mins to an hour. If I am really going to do something fun with my eyes, for example, like wear false lashes, that could take a while.

But for me it's not work, it's Zen! I can spend hours doing my toes while watching TV on a weekend afternoon. Getting ready for a night out is a process too, but I love process. There's just something really engaging and helpful about it. The really cool part is it turns off the timekeeper in my brain, so I can have 2 hours just slip by without me even noticing...

Meghan

JessicaMN
11-28-2012, 08:25 PM
im still getting used to makeup, and dont have everything i would need to pass, but its about 20mins for me. I just got a makeup set for black friday so i can finally play with different eye shadow colors

AmyGaleRT
11-28-2012, 11:35 PM
I think it takes about 20-30 minutes to do my face. I'm improving my technique all the time; my fiancee has commented on this.

Some moisturizer after a good, close shave is a key component. I generally start with concealer on the lower part of my face; my beard shadow isn't all that heavy, so I can get by with regular old L'Oreal True Match Concealer, although one of these days I plan to try Dermablend, having head good things about it. Then I work on my eyes, first with the liner (not too heavy, to avoid the "raccoon eyes" look), then eyeshadow (I use the L'Oreal eyeshadow quads and basically follow the directions on back, though lately I've been tightening up the area I actually apply shadow to and using a brush to blend it better after applying all four), then curl my lashes and apply mascara. I find that brown eyeliner and black-brown mascara works better with my eye color and complexion, and the shadows that work best on me are more earth toned. I tried a "smoky eye" once and my fiancee said, "Uh-uh, doesn't work on you."

Then comes the foundation, then powder applied with my big pouf brush (I love that part!), and some blush applied with the smaller pouf brush. If I'm in the mood I may apply some mineral finishing powder on top. Lastly, I do my lip liner and lipstick, working in "quadrants" on my lips.

Yes, it's labor...but it's a labor of love. :battingeyelashes:

- Amy

Sallee
11-28-2012, 11:39 PM
It is a lot of work but it is also my favorite part. takes anywhere from 15 min to 60 min depending on the style I want and time I have.

Tricia Lee
11-28-2012, 11:45 PM
I can go from drab to enfemme in about 50 minutes total. That's hair, jewelry, clothes, press-on nails, everything. Makeup is probably 30 minutes of that. I probably spend 15 to 20 minutes just on my eyes.

But, makeup is the most fun thing!!!