PDA

View Full Version : Should I get my ears pierced?

SueCubas
10-13-2012, 11:36 AM
Wish I had my ears pierced when I was younger. Now 58, I wonder if it'd be worth it. And how to answer someone who notices, most problematically my adult son and daughter. Any observations or suggestions?

ChelseaErtel
10-13-2012, 12:19 PM
If everyone knows your dress, then do it. Oh I wish I could.

But, if not, then I would not. It would be noticeable. Of course if your screaming to get out of the closet totally, then for it.

Your decision, I'm sure lots of experienced l will provide some more experienced. Good luck hon.

Alice B
10-13-2012, 12:25 PM
Got mine done around the same age and have never regretted it.

josee
10-13-2012, 12:26 PM
You will certainly enjoy dressing more when you can hang a nice pair of earrings on your ears.

I say go for it. You only live once and we're not getting any younger.

iana
10-13-2012, 12:33 PM
Had mine pierced 12 years ago, at the age of 46, at the start of a 2 week vacation from work. Kept them in for the full 15 and a half days then took them out each day for work and replaced them in the evening and overnight. Not the ideal but wasn't brave enough to wear them to work and not sure at that time they would have been accepted. Before I left that employer, 4 years ago, there were a few people wearings flesh tunnels in their ears.

Wore earrings consistently at the job I had last year for five months with the civil service without a comment from anyone. In the job I started earlier this year, I haven't worn them to work at all. Two of the young ladies I work with spotted I had my ears pierced about a month ago and thought it was really cool. I met one in town this afternoon whilst shopping and wearing studs, she noticed immediately and was really impressed when I said that I wear them at weekends.

Have to wait and see what comment I get next week on returning to the office.

If you want your ears pierced then go for it. They are your ears and we only live once.

Iana

Roberta Young
10-13-2012, 12:39 PM
Hun, one of the Sexiest things to do next to putting on makeup. Hugs Roberta

janet54
10-13-2012, 12:58 PM
Pierced ears are so common today no one will notice.

Lorileah
10-13-2012, 01:20 PM
I wanted to just say "Yes" but there is a need to meet character numbers.

So I will say it now. Yes

Why would you worry about it? Have you looked at the number of men with earrings? Some are even...BIKERS!:eek:

I Am Paula
10-13-2012, 01:44 PM
Nowadays any one of any age, gender, or sex can have pierced ears. It's so commonplace that no one will notice anyway.

Diane Maple
10-13-2012, 02:00 PM
I think the best advise I have been given on here ... is just don't do it in a pink fog :-)
If you do it, make sure you are because you want to... search for pink fog on the forums...

I was going to get it done last week or so... I didn't... not feeling all girl crazy this week because work is distracting... I still want to get my ears pierced. Going out to dinner the other night with my wife our waiter, a guy had some green plastic circles... she asked if I would wear something like that.. I said oh yea :-) She said then no problem... I'll probably get them done this next week at a tattoo and piercing shop and get a black ball or flat stud for now. I checked and it sounds like it will cost about $70 out the door (there studs are titanium or stainless depending an anodized instead of painted). Getting it done with a piercing gun and a cheap stud would cost less... but, I really want the holes to be straight. I have seen too many done with a piercing gun that were a little off. :-\ wife, niece, daughter... not for me.
So, take a moment, make sure it is what you want and think about what you would wear when not fem and make your choice.

Diane Maple
10-13-2012, 02:03 PM
Hmm, a simple search for pink fog didn't work.. here is a link to the posts where I learned about it.

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?182163-Your-one-tip-for-a-newbie&p=2979195&highlight=#post2979195

Ashley D.
10-13-2012, 02:10 PM
Do it! If anyone ask just say you wanted to now days its no big dill really for a guy to pierce there ear.

Lady Catherine
10-13-2012, 02:11 PM
I've had my left ear peirced since high school. Two holes. Just did my right one to match last week. No one has said a word. So many guys of all ages have peirced ears now that no one cares. If any one asks, tell them it's a mid life crisis thing. LOL.

Nikki A.
10-13-2012, 02:18 PM
I did it at 46 and wear a diamond stud everyday.
Anybody that asked, either that or buy a hot car or hot chick. This was the cheapest option.

MsRenee
10-13-2012, 02:20 PM
If you can do it by all means I have mine done twice in each. You have so much more choices for earrings if your ears are pierced.
Renee

StephanieC
10-13-2012, 04:09 PM
Are you sure you have to pierce? I've been wearing out and about lots in the last year and a half, always with earrings and I've never thought about piercing. True, I can't use posts or fishhooks but there are lots of hinged clips or hinged snap back: in both cases, the friction holds them in place. When most people think of clips I think they usually think of "paddlebacks" and I don't see alot of those. But I see lots of hinged, including hoops.

Good luck

-stephani

Sandra1746
10-13-2012, 04:15 PM
I got mine pierced for my 65-th birthday and have never looked back. I wear earrings of various styles all the time and have never had any negative comments.

Just look around, more guys have their ears pierced than you suspect, you will not be unusual at all.

Do it and enjoy life,
Sandra1746

SueCubas
10-13-2012, 04:59 PM
Update: comments running about 10 to 1 in favor. Thanks, everyone. Still gotta think about it some more. Most times I make a hasty decision I end up regretting it. But it sure is tempting...

IngeInCO
10-13-2012, 05:04 PM
I keep threatening to get mine done... Seems like it's no big deal. I should just go for it! Let's do it Sue

rita63
10-13-2012, 05:05 PM
I got mine pierced in Jan. at age 63. Kept little hoops in for 4 weeks. Now buying and wearing earings is just a basic femme thing I enjoy. It just such a pleasure.

hugs rita:battingeyelashes:

Vickie_CDTV
10-13-2012, 05:38 PM
It is hard to tell someone to do or not do something in passing, given everyone's situation is highly unique. If you are a bit of an "alternative" person (biker, rocker, hippie, kinky etc. etc.) you could probably be able to get away with it, since you'd have an excuse that others in your circle also have earrings. If you are known to be from a more conservative/vanilla background it might be much harder to explain why you decided to do it at your age, and if you have good reasons to not want questions it might be a good idea to look at alternatives instead; look at better quality clip-ons, around-the-ear pierced earring adapters (I use them and think they are great!), magnetic earrings and so on.

JC
10-13-2012, 05:44 PM
think for a second .....on a cross dressing web site you will get positive feebdback concerning piercing your ears .... the view is highly biased.......

angpai30
10-13-2012, 05:55 PM
I'm 28 and I got mine done right after my birthday. I have loved them s sincE I got them And being able to wear earrings without the pain associated with extended wear of clipons is AMAZING, especially, when you flip your hair and the earrings coming back to rest against your neck makes your heart fluttter! °)

Angela

Sandra1746
10-13-2012, 05:56 PM
At least not like a tattoo. If you get them pierced and then decide you don't like them all you need to do is quit wearing earrings. The holes will heal over, even after many years.

I'll lay a small bet (a cuppa coffee) that once you get used to them you will like earrings.

Sandra1746

Tabitha Storm
10-13-2012, 05:58 PM
Can't have it with my job but I wish I could. If you can do it, go for it.

Tina B.
10-13-2012, 08:10 PM
Tell your kids you where having a mid life crises, you saw a guy, and thought it looked cool.

BLUE ORCHID
10-13-2012, 08:13 PM
Hi Sue, The time is right as you are not getting any younger go for it.

NathalieX66
10-13-2012, 08:51 PM
If it's any consolation, when my parents retired and moved to sunny Florida, they met many friends, and quite a few of them (guys) wear an earring or two.

Cynthia Anne
10-13-2012, 09:41 PM
I had mine triple periced about 35 years ago! Still lovin' it today! Go for it!

Leah Lynn
10-13-2012, 11:35 PM
[ QUOTE=

Why would you worry about it? Have you looked at the number of men with earrings? Some are even...BIKERS!:eek:[/QUOTE]

I had mine pierced years ago, about the time I earned my Satan's Soldiers Motorcycle Club tattoo.

mirandacdgirl
10-13-2012, 11:39 PM
I say go for it.. both my ears are pierced but as a boy i'm in metal music and am a musician so..No one thinks twice about it, but even if i wasnt id do it.

sonna
10-13-2012, 11:45 PM
if you want it bad enuff you will do. all i can say when i got mine nobody cared and i work with manly men type guys

Meghan
10-13-2012, 11:55 PM
Wish I had my ears pierced when I was younger. Now 58, I wonder if it'd be worth it. And how to answer someone who notices, most problematically my adult son and daughter. Any observations or suggestions?

It's a fashion choice. Tell them you are having a mid-life crisis and it will scare them away!

Or just happen to fall in love with a couple of studs that will go nicely with your watch or something.

Tell ya what, Sue, if you do I will too. I have two sons, one an adult, who haven't said a word about my shaved legs so I am not worried (and my wife will love it). I am ready to have my ears pierced too.

Lets do this!

Meghan

heatherdress
10-14-2012, 12:28 AM
Sue - Seems like you always wanted to and now wonder if you should because of - your age, your friends and your children.

Age - who cares what age you are, 58 is still young, you have many years ahead of you to dress and enjoy earrings
Friends - people really don't care and if anyone says anything, so what
Children - they will notice and ask why - either tell thenm you always wanted to OR make up a reason (i.e. you lost a bet on a football or baseball game that "forced" you to get your ears pierced when you lost OR you pierced your ears to support breast cancer) - they won't care after they see you the first time

Do it.

Meghan
10-14-2012, 12:39 AM
Tell your kids you where having a mid life crises, you saw a guy, and thought it looked cool.

I am sorry, I didn't see this when I suggested she claim mid-life crisis, Tina. It's nice to be on the same page with you...

Meghan

RachelPortugal
10-14-2012, 04:17 AM
Got mne pierced earlier this year at 53 years old. The only people to have said anything when they first saw me afterwards were my daughters who both liked me wearing earrings.

Nobody else has commented.

In the small town of about 4000 near my home, there are quite a few guys of varying ages with both ears pierced. It is no longer out of the ordinary.

I wish I had gone for it sooner, I put it off while I was still working because I knew my boss would not accept male customer facing staff to wear earrings or studs.

weekend woman
10-14-2012, 05:18 AM
Mid-life crisis always works. Had mine done at 55 and said it was either that or a little red sports car.

Cheryl T
10-14-2012, 05:31 AM
I got mine done at 55 and only regret not having done it in my 20's.
I now have double piercings in each ear and wear diamond studs in the uppers all the time and add whatever suits my fancy and my outfit in the lowers.
Would have done it a little sooner but like Tabitha my job prohibited it.

joan47
10-14-2012, 06:31 AM
My wife gave me the go ahead to get them donne at age 64, no problems at all,

Beverley Sims
10-14-2012, 06:44 AM
If your wife approves go for it.

JenniferMBlack
10-16-2012, 04:28 PM
I had mine pierced when I was 20.21 years ago and was talking with co workers the other day 2 guys and 3 girls all who have their ears pierced and they said I should get them done again so as to have 2 holes in each ear. So I don't think it is as big a dal as everyone makes it out to be.

paulinescotlandcd
10-16-2012, 04:38 PM
I would go and get mine done but for my wife, so if you have no other hurdles just do it.

Samantha43
10-16-2012, 08:35 PM
I did mine at the age of 48. My wife arranged everything for me. I liked them so much I went back a few months later and got second piercings.

I just tell any one who asks that my wife forced me into doing it....:heehee: She plays along.

I really love the selection of earrings available to me now, and they don't hurt like clip ons!

Kat42
10-17-2012, 03:27 AM
Want!

Noticed the guy at SubWay had both pierced... Wanted to inquire but didn't. Sandwiched sucked more than most.

Still, The SO has 2 in one ear and 3 in the other... I want a single in each lobe. Only a budding teen is keeping me from it....

sarah37cr
10-17-2012, 04:04 AM
I had mine done when I was 56. Some ribbing from friends and colleagues for a week or so as I have never previosuly been into jewellery. I now feel naked without them however I am dressed.

Rogina B
10-17-2012, 04:57 AM
Even if the addition to your appearance is unexpected,most people don't even comment these days..and so it becomes a non issue and never discussed. Beats the most comfortable clipons,hands down.Try it,you'll like it and then you will get it done again! One set high for drop earrings and a lower set for hoops or studs...

linda allen
10-17-2012, 06:21 AM
I wouldn't have had mine pierced when I was working just for the ribbing I would have gotten, but for those who posted that their job prohibits pierced ears, does that rule apply to both men and women or just to men? And if just to men, how do they justify it?

linda allen
10-17-2012, 06:24 AM
Mid-life crisis always works. Had mine done at 55 and said it was either that or a little red sports car.

I had another thread on the same subject a while back. I told people I was trying to regain my youth. Someone else replied that they told anyone who asked (about the little gold ball starter earrings) that they were not earrings, but "cell phone antennas". I thought that was a good reply.

sometimes_miss
10-17-2012, 11:28 PM
For your own benefit, you really only notice them when you're putting them in, taking them out, and when you feel them tap your neck or get stuck in your hair. That said, there are plenty of clip ons that look like pierced, even nice big hoops with spring loaded backs hidden in the hoop itself. I have several pairs of very pretty dangling classy clip ons. Not as easy to find, but they're out there, and really, like diamonds vs glass, only you will know what you're wearing. I started my collection when I was married, as my ex didn't have pierced ears so I got to do a lot of shopping for clip ons. BTW, the magnetic back ones simply don't work all that well for me, maybe they will for you.

chloe.t
10-18-2012, 12:29 AM
I had my ears done about 20 years ago but let them close up, maybe I’m having my Mid-life crisis now, looks like it’s time to have them done again.

AllisontheGoddess
10-18-2012, 12:52 AM
just do it and be like, "I'm having a midlife crisis." lol

betty1253
10-18-2012, 01:26 AM
Have you noticed how many NFL football players have pierced ears? And they are wearing earrings I couldn't possibly afford? Go for it. no one will notice.

Diane Maple
10-18-2012, 11:59 PM
I just got my ears pierced today :-)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/88876124@N04/8101866563/

I went safe... I chose to visit a piercing shop so, no gun.
Hurt about as much as a flue shot :-)
I chose a flat black front. The back, post and front all screw together so you can change the front.
The threads are on the inside unlike some of the screw back ear rings my wife has.
Cost $67 total out the door. This was the piercing, two sets of parts for the studs and some soap to clean around the ears in the shower.
They advised to just wash around the ear with there soap then soak once a day in warm salt water (distilled water) for 5 minutes, and don't do anything else. This is a bit different than what my daughter was told at the mall place. Anyhow, I love that I have mine done now... now I have to wait the 2 to 5 months before taking them out and playing with other ear rings :-( Oh well it is worth it :-D and by spring time I'll have a small collection of ear rings to just waiting to show off :-)

Oh, and it seems like my young girls really notice. It's funny they just seem to stare, transfixed on them. Women who appear to be under 40 seem to be trying no to stare at them. Everyone else doesn't seem to notice. I'm sure the people who know me around town will notice :-) I'm sure it will be fine and fun.

Jenniferathome
10-19-2012, 09:34 AM
Sue, despite what many will post here, the answer is yes, absolutely everyone will notice. Two ear rings are NOT common in men over 50. Now, that stated, most people will think its just a midlife crisis you are going through. Recapturing you youth, so to say. No one will give you grief about it.

KayR
10-19-2012, 04:15 PM
I had mine done when I was 63. I was fed up of seeing all those gorgeous drop earrings for pierced ears, by comparison to the relatively small choice available for clipons. A couple of hours wearing clips had me in agony too. I just told everyone I had them done for a bet. I've had no negative comments. I wear little gold studs every so often to keep the piercings open, and don't need to wear them every day.

Alice B
10-19-2012, 05:23 PM
I was in my 50's when I had mine done and have never regretted it. Get them pierced. It open up more than you can imagine.

April Lyn
10-30-2012, 06:34 PM
Just up and got mine done today and couldnt be happier with them, feels amazing and very femme, I cant stop looking at them.

Starr
10-30-2012, 07:40 PM
i too want to get my ears pierced but not sure how i want to go about it.. you see i have long hair cut in a female style and i wear it up high in a ponytail when in boy mode, i also have long nails that are almost always polished with a shinny clear coat of polish. That with the fact that my arms as well as the rest of me is hairless makes me wonder about doing it. I have thought about doing one ear and once the new wears off that one and it heals up do the other.. or i could just go ahead and do them both at once and see if and what questions i get.

EmilyShepard
10-30-2012, 07:48 PM
I just had my second ear done with two holes to match my other ear...I got tired of having half my ear rings sitting not being used. You have to buy them in sets so have your ears done in sets. Wal mart is the cheapest place to have them done.
10.00 total...earrings,ear cleaning kit and piercing.

Polly R
10-31-2012, 04:36 PM
Well I did it last year at 60. It was, I suppose, a bit mid-life crisis led. I'd talked off and on about the possibility with my SO over perhaps a year or so and had broad agreement to wait until I retired. But, in the end, I was going to have a facial at a good salon, who also do piercing and just went for it after my facial. My SO wasn't too pleased and I did get one or two questions at work but saying it was mid-life crisis soon quelled any more questions.

Left the small gold starter studs in for 6 weeks and went by the book regarding cleansing and no problems. Using a reputable beauty salon meant I had it done with the 'gun' - sterile 'use once' business end. Click, click, done.

As many have said, these days many GM have ears pierced so not really any great problem. I don't normally wear earings or studs during the day in DRAB but usually put a pair of plain studs in at night to keep the holes open.

I do like the choice of earings when in CD mode and my SO has helped choose and buy them with me since I had my ears pierced. I just think back to the pain of wearing clip-ons for more than an hour and there's no contest...

The choice is yours, to do or not to do, THAT is the question.

xx Polly

ringedjohn
10-31-2012, 06:32 PM
Just do it.You will not regret it.

I have had pierced ears for over 50 years - initially single lobe piercings and now three in each lobe. Plus left nostril and septum.

Samantha43
10-31-2012, 09:34 PM
I had mine done when I was 48. I love my pierced ears. I thought about it for years and finally just did it.

Everyone will notice, few will say anything. I never really had any negative comments. Mostly people would say " you got your ears pierced" I said "yes". That was the end of it.

Debbie Kay Armour
11-21-2012, 08:01 AM
I have my ears pierced and love wearing earrings. I always wear them daily does not feel right not to

Jana
11-21-2012, 08:44 AM
Did your children ask for your permission before getting a navel piercing or a tattoo? Nope, didn't think so. So, go for it!!! You're 58, if not now, when?!

glynnis
11-21-2012, 10:29 AM
Go for it,had mine pierced years ago.No one takes any notice even when I wear earings that are a little feminine.

MssHyde
11-21-2012, 04:13 PM
for those that feel their job prohibits earrings, the plastic piercing protectors are hard to see and are non conductive. (important for an electrician)
my one ear was pierced since the 70's and both ears double pierced since the 90's

some times I feel like a woman pretending to be a man, that pretends to be a woman. (I was good all day it felt like messing around)

the first time I seen double pierced ears was in the late 70's in Florida at a high end restaurant. (the very classy waitress had both ears double pierced, I was in love with her and her earrings) I was glad the fad caught on.

Bootsiegalore
11-21-2012, 07:07 PM
Yesssssssssssss!

Janelle_C
11-22-2012, 12:01 AM
It is so worth it. I got mine done at 53 and I love them. At the beginning of next year I'm getting a second hole in each one. My adult kids don't care, Iv'e gotten only a couple of people ask why and my answer was because I wanted to why else would I do it.

luscious
11-22-2012, 12:18 AM
you can buy a $6.00 kit from sally's beauty supply and after you pierce the ears and wait a day or two replace the starter earings with with just a surgical steel bar/rod or gold rod.

I break apart some cheap earings and use the rods from those to keep the hole open. it takes 6- 9 weeks.

this will allow you to hide it from all but the most curious people.

Ceri Anne
11-22-2012, 10:13 PM
Its an easy and inexpensive process. I would do it in a heartbeat if my wife wouldn't mind. Its rather common for men and women these days.

natalie_cheryl
11-23-2012, 01:20 AM
i really want to get my ears done but i don't think i could talk my wife would be into letting me do it. does anybody have any ideas how to talk to her about it?

MaryAnn40c
11-23-2012, 01:32 AM
I am 49ish and got mine done the other day. All my kids think they look great. All the people I run into just smile. So go for it you only live once.

luscious
11-23-2012, 10:48 PM
get them pieced but don't leave the starter earing in

just use a rod from a earing that you cut off

or

http://www.hypoallergenicfindings.com/piearpr1.html

http://www.comfees.com/shop/pc/Pierced-Ear-Protectors-p249.htm

you can buy a $6.00 kit from sally's beauty supply and after you pierce the ears and wait a day or two replace the starter earings with with just a surgical steel bar/rod or gold rod.

I break apart some cheap earings and use the rods from those to keep the hole open. it takes 6- 9 weeks.

this will allow you to hide it from all but the most curious people.

i really want to get my ears done but i don't think i could talk my wife would be into letting me do it. does anybody have any ideas how to talk to her about it?

for those that feel their job prohibits earrings, the plastic piercing protectors are hard to see and are non conductive. (important for an electrician)
my one ear was pierced since the 70's and both ears double pierced since the 90's

some times I feel like a woman pretending to be a man, that pretends to be a woman. (I was good all day it felt like messing around)

the first time I seen double pierced ears was in the late 70's in Florida at a high end restaurant. (the very classy waitress had both ears double pierced, I was in love with her and her earrings) I was glad the fad caught on.

sarahNZ
11-24-2012, 07:49 AM
If you haven't figured it out yet... no one in the real world cares whether your ears are pierced or not, I had mine pierced 4 years ago at the ripe old age of 30. I had some nice silver studs for the first few weeks while they were healing and bought some lovely dangly earings for girl time afterwards. Yes I still love the feeling of a earings swinging in my ears... almost as much as I love the feeling of my sparkly dangly bellyring (done at 33) swinging midrift.

Its an obsession I can't help it.

Jamie001
11-24-2012, 10:32 AM

Does your wife ask you everytime she wants to make a change in her appearance? In other words, does she ask your permission?